Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! »

Players Wanted: Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! »

"Businesses are People"

a topic in Politics & Governance, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

National politics and the governance of the population.

"Businesses are People"

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ChaoticMarin on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:32 pm

Yo, this got brought up in chat a while back and I thought I'd drop some thoughts here since it didn't really stick around as a topic there. The quote in the title usually refers to Citizen's United, a Supreme Court decision in the USA. I'd like to start off by addressing a point Rem made before the topic got dropped. The fact that Businesses are run by people. This is true, and the point of saying that businesses are not people is not to dehumanize business owners. Nobody ever says "Business Owners aren't people". The issue of businesses being people is about trying to get money out of politics, not something inherently wrong with being a business owner.

Y'see, a successful business owner can accumulate much more capital than the average person can ever hope to. The way a traditional business works allows a business owner to essentially take a percentage of all the profit their employees generate with their labour. This adds up to more capital than any one person is generally capable of very quickly. And when money translates into influence in our political system, this gives them a much louder voice than everyone else. This includes their employees, who generally don't get a voice in comparison.

This isn't true of every business model. Worker Co-Ops for example would be very different in this regard. However, they are not the norm in the USA in spite of their good track record so far.

So, the problem with "Businesses are People" is that it ignores the nature of our capitalist system. The fact that wealthy business owners are able to essentially appropriate the value of their employees to amplify their own voices while leaving their employees in silence is anti-democratic and props up an unjustified hierarchy which is anti-thetical to anarchist values. (Anarchism in a political sense holds the destruction of unjust hierarchies as its core value. Different flavors of anarchism disagree on how to do that / which hierarchies are unjust) It would have to be something addressed if we wanted to stop the phenomenon of people attempting to buy elections.
“I eat my enemies for breakfast; even when I already ate breakfast, and brunch!”

“But in my heart, I sometimes wish they would atone so that I could be that close to a friend.”

Check out my likes and dislikes post and my profile. Then hit me up!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ChaoticMarin
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Recruiter Cult Leader Hordemaster Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver Concierge Visual Appeal Donated!

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!