Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Can't fight for the life of me?

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Can't fight for the life of me?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby liz21310 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:40 pm

So, I guess I should start off by saying I've been role playing for a couple of years now, and I've been in more than a handful of fights, whether it be with guns, swords, knives, hand to hand, you name it. And every time I get into a battle scene/ part of the role play, I always suck. Majorly. I think I've had very, very few redeeming moments when some parts are good, but then it all goes wrong again.
For some reason I just can't seem to grasp the art of it, being quick, swift, making sense, knowing what I'm doing.. and I've read many articles on how to write battle scenes, asked other people, took notes, had a few others try to show me, and still no progress. And my boyfriend and I started role playing around the same time, and we were both equally as bad at first - if not him better than I - and we've both grown, but when it comes to battles he's amazing, and I'm still terrible. And it's hard because we're writing a story together through this role play, and whenever we have to battle things out it's always a competition, which he always wins unless he let's me, and I'm beyond frustrated.
Could someone maybe teach me what it means to be a great fighter in role playing? Whether it be a short, quick fight, or a longer one. I want to keep it exciting and tense and interesting, and I don't know who else to go to for help.
Thank you so much for reading this if you made it this far and didn't decide to go elsewhere! xD
~Liz
Even when the dark of night shadows everything I know and love, the full moon will always light my way. It gives me a path to follow, making everything along the way glow soft and bright. [font=]

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

liz21310
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Lifegiver

Re: Can't fight for the life of me?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:16 am

I think I was one of the ones that tried to help you earlier. Let's try again.

Battles are all about timing and positioning. No matter how good your strategy is, if you can't time your strikes and blocks correctly, you're going to go down. Once you have the basic moves down and learn a few things about your opponent's capabilities, then you can move on to developing tactics and strategies.

I highly recommend the study of a historical or modern martial art to assist in your understanding of core concepts. For example, all non-thrusting attacks will come from and will target one of eight directions on the human body. This ties in with the "get up out of your chair and do the moves" that I recommended. http://thearma.org is a wonderful starting point into research of historical European martial arts, but comprehension will not come easily. From this comprehension, however, will flow a newfound understanding of how various moves will translate into a written form, so it's well worth the effort.

There are two sorts of fighting. One seeks to advance a plot through means of combat. Here, you are encouraged to collaborate with your opponent on who's doing what and when, and have a grand old "who would win" discussion. After this is done, you can write out the entirety of the fight in a single post. This is the sort I recommend you stick to. The other is combat for its own sake, which is more like a game of chess or Magic The Gathering, as each combatant seeks to implement his strategy and deny his opponent the same in order to claim victory. This sort of fighting is probably what your boyfriend is more a fan of.

Finally, you can read, study and listen all you want, but unless you go out and practice you won't gain anything. Use active verbs, describe the whooshing of your sword through the air, and don't let performance anxiety get in the way of writing a good scene.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!