Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Character Creation

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Character Creation

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:28 pm

I've often wondered if there are people like me in regards to character & campaign/settings creation. I didn't realize this until after I had been roleplaying for a while but I obviously come up with long, drawn-out, & detailed list of information like a character bio or even like an entire world setting, in a matter of literally hours. I am only limited by how fast I can type. But if I'm given a full day at a key board with minimal interruptions, I can be finished by sunrise.

Now I know what you're thinking, "Oh well it's probably crap, and not nearly as detailed as he thinks." But the only reason I think it's detailed is because I'm often asked, "Oh wow, you put a lot of detail and thought into this (character, city, religion, or world) didn't you?" And when I say, "Oh yeah. It took me a whole day to come up with it all." They think I'm joking at first. And then I find out that, even though for me, taking a whole day to come up with something like that is a while for me, it is something they claim would take them like weeks maybe months of preparation.

I'm just really curious as to whether or not there are people out there like me, or if maybe I only seem to speak with stupid people lol. Just let me know what you think :-)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Character Creation

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Makenna Young on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Here's my philosophy with character creation: You can't force it, much like you cannot force good writing because, well, character creation is writing.

I've been writing for years, roleplaying for only one, but over time I have accumilated multiple characters that, I feel, are roleplay ready. Many are characters from my many novels, tweaked to suit the roleplay.

Overall, though, when I am developing characters, it takes a day at the very least. Mind when I apply for an RP, I usually have a pre-designed character in mind, so I can get it up in an hour or two depending on the character sheet, and occasionally less. It's not that I ramble on, indeed I keep my sheets short, sweet, and to the point, in order to allow maximum enjoyment for interaction with said character, or in other words, to leave room for others to discover the charrie. For these reasons, people often consider me underexperience and in need of improvement, but I have my reasons, as stated prior.

I assure you, you are not alone in any way imaginable. I think we all have characters inside of us that we develop over days, even if we do so subconciously, as many writers do. Or maybe that's just me. Maybe I'm the only one who drifts off at random moments because another idea hit me and I needed to put it into action. xD

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Makenna Young
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm glad to know I'm not alone lol. I don't write, so I've never adapted a premade character, well not that I hadn't already created for a roleplay. But I've created characters completely from scratch in a matter of a day. But I do accidentally just drift off when an idea hits me, and usually it will be late at night, when I should sleep but I realize I won't be able to fall asleep until I just write. LOL

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:15 am

I find it easier to write out a character profile when I have specific questions to answer. My personality and backstory sections are always anemic due to not knowing what details to start with.

Shanatos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:22 pm

My StoryandBio sections always get slapped on when I get around to them. I never really think about what kind of person they should be, but I grab a personality from under the stairs, and use that. The history section is always just information that would back the personality up.
Once more, with rhythm!

PulseTrick
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sadies on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:58 am

I like to make detailed characters, it takes me a long time to develop my characters. I create them as if I am creating a book character of a real person. I like to know what they like, what they hate, what makes them tick, every tiny detail in their past, religion, diet, relationships. I like to make my characters unique, not the weirdo or the amazing character but different, like a different person. I think it's a good thing in a way to know everything about your character however I find that I get too emotionally attached to my characters and it effects me a lot more when some-thing happens in the role-play. I like that, it's like reading a really good story. But then it also makes role-play a bit more annoying at times when peoples characters are not so refined or are very stereotypical for a role-play character who gets along with everyone and has few faults etc because I have such high expectations for my characters and they don't.
I'm coming back! :D
My DeviantArt

Sadies
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rickshaw_Watcher on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:41 am

I may be able to give a unique view on character creation.

When gaming in any form I like to have a large pool of information given in a clear and concise way. This means getting the numbers I may need to keep me from getting impaled by some grotesque flesh beast or thrown backwards by an explosive trap I failed to detect. As such I also like to know as much about my own characters as I can before I guess at what they would do in a given situation; before that, I like to know what kind of world they grew up in that could shape such a character in the first place.

Combining my want of hard information and character understanding, I actually spent the past month creating an abomination out of a spread sheet and various role playing systems that was as generic as I could get. By using it I am able to create a character quickly and concisely which allows me to get the nitty-gritty details out of the way and create a personality and back story that fits those details. The best way to describe it would be the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system from Fallout on steroids.

Here's hoping it pays off in the future. Being able to halve the time it takes to create the bare bones of a character and putting that extra time into figuring out the personality, background, and other errata is going to be a really helpful little tool.

Rickshaw_Watcher
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Erelraize on Thu May 29, 2014 2:10 am

I often adapt pre-made characters to fit an rp, but those characters have been made over a period of months. I get to know them over time like I would get to know a close friend, and a lot of times I refer to them as my kids, because that's kind of what they are. I find that characters I've just made in a day might be as detailed as one of my pre-made ones, but I don't know them as well. I would have to keep referring to their sheet as I write them, and I have to really think about their perspectives instead of naturally falling into it.

Settings I can never do in a short amount of time, I usually work on one aspect at a time and go into deep detail, then get bored and put it aside for a few days.
"Your characters are like geodes. If you want to see what they are really made of, you must break them."

Erelraize
Member for 10 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!