Character Sheets

a topic in RPG Design, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Character Sheets

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:58 am

So here's one: what do you think should be included in a character sheet? How much information is necessary, how much is too much, and what do you really use them for? For instance, I think in many cases a CS is a good way to gauge someone's writing style, but that's only if the sheet gives them enough room to do their thing, so to speak. A bunch of highly-specific fields that really only require single-word answers isn't going to do that so much.

Does anyone have any preferences on CS layout? If so, what are, to you, the most important sections, either as a creator or as a GM?
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 10 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Character Sheets

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:34 am

I've debated scrapping character sheets before, but I stick with them for two reasons.

First, it it helps me spot if a character isn't going to be appropriate to my game's setting. My games take place in somewhat defined worlds I try to establish clearly in my setting info. Occasionally I fail at the clear part, and someone gets confused. Most of the time, they just don't pay any attention and submit the antithesis of what's called for. For example, in a game where it was an important part of the setting that humans didn't know about supernatural otherworldly beings, someone gave their character a back-story involving a battle between demons and humans. Whatever the case, if there's an issue, I can catch it before those problems come up in game.

Second, it does help me get a look at a person's style. I used to require a writing sample as part of my game applications, but I stopped doing that a while back. That means the profile, along with checking if the person has played any games here, is all I have to go on. My standards are a lot more lax than they used to be, so I rarely wind up rejecting people for anything but obvious cases of "did not even glance at the rules and setting." However, there still may be times that someone's style just does not mesh with mine at all.

What I expect out of a profile, though, isn't much. I stress that brief answers are fine so long as they're polished (since, again, it's all I have to go on). It's surprising what you can tell just from a few sentences per field. Longer is perfectly fine, though. As long as it accomplishes its goal -- giving me an idea of the character and how that character fits within the setting -- it works for me.

I always use variations of this profile:

Name:
Personality:
Abilities:
Any Other Info:

This is the bare bones, of course. I add other game-specific fields as necessary (e.g. a space pirate game may have a "Position" field that specifies position on the ship, or "Occupation" in a modern RP where most everyone has a job/is looking for a job/is a student/etc. and is defined by that). However, I think I can get a good snapshot of a character with the above. "Abilities" may be phrased differently depending on the game and what kind of abilities are allowed, and it's a pretty important field in terms of judging whether a character fits into the game.

A "Bio" or "History" field may be included, but I often make that optional (for the sake of players who don't like to reveal everything at once). I think knowing a character's background is helpful, and in some games I do require it, but it can put pressure on people to write out every inch of a character's life and put themselves in danger of meta-gaming. I haven't run into this attitude much, but I can respect it when I do. I feel similarly about Personality -- I like a brief idea, but I don't think the player needs to reveal the character's every facet if they don't want to, and it doesn't need to be highly specific or set in stone because characters often grow. I'm really looking for a feel for the character's general nature.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Marionette
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:56 pm

For me, a character sheet/profile and its usefulness depends entirely on the type of roleplay. For many RPs of which I've been a part, they are absolutely necessary. Many of these roleplays don't start with the characters meeting each other for the first time and providing for all the necessary exposition, but rather with the characters having known each other for years with a great deal of shared history. In that case, a character sheet is useful to me because it provides things that other characters should know before any post is ever written as the story unfolds.

Jag
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darkrael on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:17 pm

I have always found character sheets helpful in creating a role play. Like Kurokiku said it helps gauge a person writing style, but even more than that, it helps you understand the character as a person. I always tend to go back to basics with my character sheets
Name:
Race (depending on the setting):
Personality:
Background:
I have found that the last two entries have become the most important due to this being where a roleplayer can really shine with a character. The more developed, the more that's written. This also happens to be where I can draw inspiration on how to motivate certain characters. Believe me some personalities need more motivation than just rewards, reputation, power, or "because I said so!"
Mëloi dëloi bësayt ëkrë solön un odën jvas
May your journey be safe and full of joy

Darkrael
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:52 am

To give an example of RPs where I've found that a character sheet is extremely useful, I draw on a few RPs from my yesteryear. In the Echo Legacy series, the majority of characters are military personnel, many of whom have been serving together since their teenage years in a military academy. As a result, a great deal of their personal and professional history is something that is established and known to all individuals in the game and doesn't need to be explained with awkward dialogue where two characters are talking about something they both already understand.

The same goes for One Last Summer, which is about a reuniting of childhood friends. What has happened to them in the interim since their days together is revealed through the RP, but their shared history is something that is useful to be placed in a character sheet.

For an RP like The Ballad of Fort Trinity, an open-plot western, there's really nothing that anyone needs to know about another character prior to meeting them IC with the exception of the infamous villain. Everyone else can come in with relative anonymity and build their characters from scratch through interaction as the characters have little to no shared history.

Jag
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 am

I agree with Kurokiku that the CS is a good way to gauge writing ability and that’s why I always include a “Character bio” section to a CS. In addition Marionette’s point about whether or not a character will be suitable is also important. I tend to think of the CS as tryouts.

Sometimes I find the most difficult part of an RP is the beginning as more than few begin with a group of individuals who have to get to know each other before the proper RP can begin. That’s why it’s sometimes easier to say the characters are all known to each other so you can jump directly into your plot. Character Sheets are a good way to do this.

I never understood equipment lists in RPs. I guess it makes sense in arena posts but not really anywhere else.

Bosch
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NotAFlyingToy on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:41 am

(woo thread revival)

I have a love hate relationship with character sheets for a variety of reasons. I love them because of the reasons adequately outlined above; gauging writing ability, mulling over information that is useful in an OOC sense, keeping track of items and whatnot. But I hate the necessity of it, and I also hate the structure in which CS's force you to adhere to.

Most of my MV characters, for example, are just me writing random prose, or a quote from a song and a picture that both work to put an image in the reader's mind. Now, I realize that this works solely because of the open nature of the MV - the theme is "if you want to know them, RP with them!" - and is likely hell on a GM. But it allows for me to utilize storytelling from the word Go: right off the bat, you as a reader are reading what I want to dictate, rather than what a GM wants me to dictate.

I would love a perfect world where everyone gave enough detail in their profiles to not need a character sheet. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

NotAFlyingToy
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shadowty on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 pm

What of your character's past relashionship with another player character added to the sheet, considering the characters are not complete strangers a the begining of the roleplay?

shadowty
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby soulmiester on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:48 pm

A good character sheet includes all your basic stuff, Name, Age, Ht, Wt, Equipment, Personality, and background, but an EXCELLENT character sheet goes more in depth, describing the characters appearance, their clothes, their demeanor, if they come off friendly or cold. Fighting style is also nice to include for RPs with combat. Also, there should be a section for items your character carries, so people don't just suddenly decide they have unbreakable rope when they need to get across a chasm. I also find that a section to upkeep inter-character relations helps.

soulmiester
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheNoremac42 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Here are a few templates I use...

This one is for a less detailed character. It could be powered or as normal as can be. Here is an example of it being used with some modifications: Kamon Sapphire

Code: Select all
[u]GENERAL[/u]

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Nickname:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexual Preference:[/b]
[b]Ethnicity:[/b]
[b]Religion:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]

[u]PHYSICAL[/u]

[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Eye color:[/b]
[b]Hair color:[/b]
[b]Skin color:[/b]
[b]Scars/markings:[/b]
[b]Synopsis:[/b]

[u]PERSONALITY:[/u]

[b]Likes:[/b]
[b]Dislikes:[/b]
[b]Hobbies:[/b]
[b]Synopsis:[/b]
[b]Positive characteristics:[/b]
[b]Negative characteristics:[/b]

[u]EQUIPMENT[/u]

[b]Clothing:[/b]
[b]Armor:[/b]
[b]Weapons:[/b]
[b]Trinkets:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

[u]ABILITIES:[/u]

[b]Traits:[/b]
[b]Powers:[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b]

This one is my most common template, as I make a lot of powered characters. You'd want to use this one for characters that have more detail and/or designed for powered combat (i.e. weapons, magic, etc.). A good example would be my werewolf, Fenrias Halvard

[center][size=270][color=#000040][b][u]____________________
[name]

[img][/img]

[size=270][color=#000040][b][u]____________________
Personal Information
____________________[/u][/b][/color][/size]

[size=93]

[color=#0000FF][b]Full Name[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Description[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Age:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Gender:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Race/Main:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Race/Sub:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Honorifics|Titles|Nicknames[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Sexual Orientation:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Birthplace:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]Date of Birth:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Marking|Tattoos|Piercings:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Height:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Weight[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Physical Condition:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Current Residence[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Former Residence[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Family/Relatives:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Friends/Comrades:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Enemies[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Rivals[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Organizations/Tribes/Clans:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Former Affiliations:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Disabilities:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Personality:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Likes:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Dislikes:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Psychological Condition:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Alignment:[/b][/color]

[/size]

[size=270][color=#000040][b]____________________
[u]  Equipment  [/u]
____________________[/b][/color][/size]

[color=#0000FF][b]:Attire:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]:Protection:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]:Weapon(s):[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]:Accessories/Misc:[/b][/color]

|Abilities|Traits|Racial|

[color=#000040][size=270][b][u]____________________
Current History
____________________[/u][/b][/size][/color]

Past History
____________________[/u][/b][/size]

©2011 Wolven[OC] (BBC Coding/Design) - Roleplay Gateway. All Rights Reserved[/center]

Finally, here's a template for the characters with the most detail and story behind them. It's a little tedious to fill out but offers a lot of avenues for describing your character. An example of it being used would be my most powerful character, Erebuz.

[center][right][size=270][color=#000040][b][u]____________________
(Name)

[img]Image_url_here[/img]

Overall Stats

[color=#0000FF][u][b]Destructive Capability:[/b][/u][/color]
(City, Building, etc)

[color=#0000FF][u][b]Current Status[/b][/u][/color]
[color=#00BF40]Living[/color]
[color=#FF0000]Deceased[/color]
[color=#FF8000]Near Death[/color]
[color=#400000]Undead[/color]
[color=#0080FF]Immortal[/color]
[color=#004000]Sealed[/color]

[b]Power:
0/30[/b]
[color=#FF0000] |[/color]|||||||||||||||||||
[b]Speed:
0/30[/b]
[color=#FF0000]|[/color]|||||||||||||||||||
[b]Awareness
0/30[/b]
[b]Combat:
0/30[/b]
[b]Intellect
0/30[/b]
[b]Technique:
0/30[/b]
[b]Endurance:
0/30[/b]
[b]Magic Resistance
0/30[/b]
[b]Vitality:
0/30[/b]
[b]Energy:
0/30[/b]
[b]Spiritual:
0/30[/b]

[size=120][b]Power[/b]
How much power this character has in terms of strength and how hard the character hits

[b]Speed[/b]
How fast this character moves in terms of running to attacks.

[b]Awareness[/b]
How fast this character reacts and realizes.

[b]Combat[/b]
How well this character is in melee and how well attacks are executed.

[b]Intellect[/b]
How smart this character is in information and analyzing things, objects, and people.

[b]Technique[/b]
How well this character uses skills/magic

[b]Endurance[/b]
How much damage or injuries this character can take.

[b]Magic Resistance[/b]
How much resistance toward magic this character can take as well as endure it.

[b]Vitality[/b]
How much stamina this character has to move around.

[b]Energy[/b]
How much energy this character has to use skills and magic

[b]Spiritual[/b]l
How well this character is connected with religion/gods/spirits/[/size]

[/right]

Personal Information

[size=93]

[color=#0000FF][b]Full Name[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Age:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Age Appearance[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Gender:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Race/Main:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Race/Sub:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Honorifics|Titles|Nicknames[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Sexual Orientation:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Marital Status:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Relationship Status:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Relationships:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Relationship History[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Blood Type[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Birthplace:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]Date of Birth:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Zodiac Sign[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Religion(s)Beliefs[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Marking|Tattoos|Piercings:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Height:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Weight[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Physical Condition:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Eye Color[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b] Alignment[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Occupation (Main):[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Occupation (Sub)[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Class:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Rank[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Education:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Language(s):[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Current Residence[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Former Residence[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Lives with:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Family/Relatives:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Friends/Comrades:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Enemies[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Rivals[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Accomplices[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Political Status[/b] [/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Organizations/Tribes/Clans:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Former Affiliations: [/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Disabilities:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b] Personality:[/b] [/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]With Friend(s):[/b] [/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]With Lover(s)[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]With Enemies[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]General philosophy:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Most Prized Possession (Material Value):[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Most Prized Possession (Emotional Value):[/b] [/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Likes:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Dislikes:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Hobbies:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Interests: [/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Goals:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Life's Ambition:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Fears:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Crippling Fear ( Single Biggest Fear):[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Least Outspoken About:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Most Outspoken About:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Favorite Word:[/b] [/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Vernacular:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Mannerisms:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Psychological Condition:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Aptitudes:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Superstitions:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Morals:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Positive Characteristics:[/b][/color]

[color=#0000FF][b]Negative Characteristics:[/b][/color]

[/size]

[u][img]http://www.wowtnc.com/forums/roster/img/Interface/Icons/INV_Axe_02.jpg[/img][img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:NOW9eeCM41GLQM:http://aion.mmorpg-life.com/item_images/icon_item_sword_c01.png[/img]   Equipment   [img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:b4nByqjShiqBuM:http://www.aionroleplayers.com/wiki/images/a/ac/Attachment_021.jpg[/img][img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:meckuLYLog-oWM:http://www.wow-arsenal.com/icon/40/inv_boots_leather_04b.png[/img][/u]

[color=#0000FF][b]:Head:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Neck:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Chest:/Back[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Shoulders:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Biceps:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Elbows[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Forearms:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Hands:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Wrists:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Abdomen:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Waist:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Thighs:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Knees:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Calves/Shins:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Ankles:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Feet:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Weapon(s):[/b][/color]
[color=#0000FF][b]:Accessories/Misc:[/b][/color]

|Abilities|Traits|Racial|

[b](Skill theme such as fire, poison etc)[/b]

???

Feats/Achievements List

Current History
____________________[/u][/b][/size][/center][/color]

Past History

Family History

©2011 Wolven[OC] (BBC Coding/Design) - Roleplay Gateway. All Rights Reserved[/center]
Constructive criticism welcomed.

TheNoremac42
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Builder Group Theory Beta Tester Property Buyer Storyteller Historian

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GiggledustJedi on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:13 am

I prefer a very minimalist approach when creating a CS, I see plenty of regular things as unnecessary, or something that can be easily gleaned from reading other parts of a sheet or from reading what the characters says/does during a game. Such as likes/dislikes, I really don't see much point to include those.

This is basically what I use for every RP:

Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
History:

Of course I will add stuff if the setting requires it. To add to the Appearance portion, I honestly prefer written descriptions, and I may also include Body Type to the sheet since it says more on how they look like than just giving a weight.

GiggledustJedi
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lostinwords on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:40 am

I'm okay with different character sheets for some genres and settings, which required more than just the basic CS template (like the one used by Gigglesdust Jedi). But I hate character sheets that ask silly questions like include five likes and five hates, theme song, aspirations, and zodiac sign, when the RP is a zombie theme. You get what I mean?

Lostinwords
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OneMoreMenthol on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:56 pm

I think a character sheet's base intention should be to find more about both the character's demeanor and the writer's capability. I find that things like hair color, height and various other factors aren't entirely important ( but can be included for fluff. ) Things like names, events in their past, various social upbringings or what have yous are the most important. These are the things that can make a character glide or grind, and until you know those things, you can't really say yay or nay to someone as a writer partaking in your roleplay. Is it nice to know what Clyde Pewterschmidt's favorite animal is ? Sure, but couldn't that have been found out in play ? Would it ever really make a difference in the story ?

The approach should be to attain as much information of a character as possible that is relevant to story progression or story cohesion, if it does more than that ? It's just fluff and another thing that a writer has to fill in before they can really dig deep into fully describing their characters. Just my two cents.

OneMoreMenthol
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alappassi on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Sometimes I actually prefer to leave out my character's history. I believe that this can give an RP more depth and mystery!
Sighthounds, writing, and drawing are my passion!

Alappassi
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spayce on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:44 am

Can anyone tell me how to embed a character sheet/make a template?

spayce
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 am

I think you might be looking for the (code) (/code) command ( where the round brackets are replaced with square brackets.)
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me Vit.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 10 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Beta Tester Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spayce on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:06 pm

VitaminHeart wrote:I think you might be looking for the (code) (/code) command ( where the round brackets are replaced with square brackets.)

Thank you!

spayce
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DragonsAreReal on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:44 pm

I definitely have a love-hate relationship with character sheets and I also agree with what another user said concerning the type of role play that the character is in. If it is a very relaxed, open-genre sort of setting then a character sheet becomes less important except for as a quick reference guide (how tall was he again?).

Sometimes character sheets are absolutely necessary, especially when you have a specific setting and a very detailed world. But what I don’t agree with is that the character sheet is a good way of gauging the player’s writing ability.

Let’s look at what a character sheet really is. It’s pretty much a file that is giving straight and undisputable facts. A police record might say that someone was arrested for robbing an old lady at gunpoint. What it is not likely to say is that the said robber was desperate and that the gun wasn’t even loaded.

That might be a bad metaphor, though as you can obviously add that sort of stuff to a character sheet. But my real point is that all it shows is a character description. It does not offer an example of that writer’s overall story telling skills, ability to collaborate on a plot, and rarely do they ever show any actual character dialogue.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with requesting a writing sample. It does not have to be anything extensive but could just be a paragraph that involves certain qualities such as dialogue and character interaction. I say this because I’ve met many potentially good writers who could whip up a sublime character and yet their writing skills were seriously lacking in every other area.

In the end, I prefer to keep a character sheet as a reference for basic information such as height, physical appearance, powers, abilities, and skills as it warrants, and other things that are not necessarily brought up in every single post. I’m certainly not going to make an IC reminder every time I post that my character is only five feet tall and thus cannot reach the cereal on top of the fridge.

"When I dream, I dream of dragons. In these dreams, I do not slay dragons nor do I ride them but rather I gaze down at the world through their eyes."

DragonsAreReal
Member for 6 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:15 pm

I've actually come to dislike generic open-ended character skeleton.

i.e.

Name:
Physical Description:
Personality:
Background:

Because while i have a concept of the character, it feels rather random to try and write all that out... especially if I'm not in the mood to write a novel of the character's backstory and personality in the profile (especially because I prefer to let that evolve in the RP).

And I think these also fail to inspire or make players think when they're creating the character.

I recall in one of my RPs, the character profile I had took the form of a job application. So it didn't ask for a paragraph on backstory, personality, and physical description, but still had sections with questions where such information would fit (i.e. instead of description, it was a medical document asking for a few basics, height, weight, hair and eye color, etc., and asking if there were in specific medical conditions they had... an unusual question, sure, and most people would probably just say "No". But it might get someone thinking, "Hey, maybe my character *does* have a minor condition, a bit of a bad knee or something, that they might not otherwise think of.)

Shanatos
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OldManPsycho on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:05 am

I recently (and by recently, I meant earlier today) tried a little something new with my with one of my characters. Since I almost never need the fact that my character is 6 foot, 200lbs, or the fact that they are always wearing their favorite green leather trench coat during an RP (at least not in the really good ones) I wanted to use the opportunity to get a headstart on fleshing a character out. Because lets face it, sometime the Character sheet is as far as you get in some RPs (including my current one). So my "character sheet" is entirely backstory with almost all of the necessary information. I guess I want my character walking in a universe with most of their "flesh" already intact so that I can enjoy the interaction and reaction with other players.

OldManPsycho
Member for 6 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!