Characters Recent In the Last Post Issue...

a topic in Help, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Scholars, Coders

Something not working as expected? Looking for a guide to help you find something? Check here for your answer!

Characters Recent In the Last Post Issue...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Good morning.

There is a massive issue that isn't the end of the world, but it is quite annoying. When replying to a roleplay, we are normally allowed to see our post as we type it out. For those of us who are more aesthetically inclined, we love this feature. However, for the last week or so, this monstrous list of names stands between our text box and the preview. It's a pain in the butt. It is not exclusive to one Roleplay, either, because when I go from Camp Athens to another RP, I get the same thing.

Is there a way that this feature could be fixed? I'd say get rid of it completely because it didn't seem to work properly before this anyway, and tagging characters isn't typically much of an issue. I don't know, but its super irritating to work on a post, scroll all the way down this massive list of names, and then back up. Especially those of us that work on longer posts with multiple pieces of CS.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist

Re: Characters Recent In the Last Post Issue...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:01 pm

This is that giant list of names underneath all of the text boxes we use to reply to a roleplay, and looooooooong before the preview we usually get to see our post as we type.

It can't just be me because someone else also referred to it in one of the OOC Topics of an RP I am in.

It's a pain in the butt to view RP posts on a phone and a general annoyance to have to scroll down so far just to see our CS manifest.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Usually this is only a problem with The Multiverse because of the sheer number of characters present in that universe. Now I'm starting to see why people prefer having private storage spaces!

I recommend you find yourself a decent BBCode WYSIWYG editor online and use that, unless there are some RPG-specific formatting tricks you want to tinker with.

LawOfTheLand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:10 pm

I do have my own storage space for drafting my posts, however, I am not sure why people should have to go to another website or to another space entirely just to put up a post. Especially since it is very apparent that none of these names have anything to do with the Universe at all.

It may seem like griping, but it's a user unfriendly feature. I understand why the Multiverse might have it, and that perhaps those that RP there have to deal with the issue, but I guess I just don't get why all of the RPs have to do it.

If anything, it's not working as intended. One can't find the actual characters in the actual Universe in the list at all, so we still have to go through and type out names to tag them in. If it's not working as it should be, I am wondering why have it at all.

I don't mean to be an ass about it, but saying that we have to use outside sources to do something we should be able to do here without the hassle of the long list is kind of BS.

But maybe I am the only one bothered by it. *Shrugs.*

mombie
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nemeseia on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:04 pm

You are, indeed, not the only one bothered by it. As a long-time roleplayer on this site--don't let the 4 years fool you, I've been around way longer since 2011--having that huge mess of "recent" characters in any RP space other than the actual RP they are a part of is a bit of an eyesore. I understand that a lot of the designers and moderators and whathaveyou have recently tried to update the site, and it may be a bug that might be circulating, however; if there is a way to get this mess cleared up, I'm sure a lot of roleplayers will appreciate it.

It's like a previous thread I made about adding a co-gm that I can no longer do. Apparently the user has to be on at the same time, but that just isn't the case. They were on when I tried adding them, but it still said, couldn't find the username. This was not an issue we've ever had before; whether they were on or not, they could still be added as a co-gm.

And I agree with Dreamwaker--we shouldn't have to go to another site in order to view a post when the actual RP itself provides us that preview. That--from my understanding at least--is the reason why it is there. Having to move off site is just redundant, and completely ignores the reason why we are here in the first place. Some changes have been good, I will admit, but other changes have been drastically not so good. The introduction of the tab-system, for example, was a good thing. It helped keep an RP organized, and posts and characters having their own tab kept the "front page" clear of clutter. Having everything on one page is just... it's a huge mess, but that might just be my opinion.

Sorry if I went off topic there, but to get back to the earlier point, if there is a way to remove the "most recent" characters that pop up in an RP that they don't belong to, would be beneficial to a lot of us.

Nemeseia
Member for 4 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:50 pm

Seems like it might be a bug ! Has it been resolved?
Awakening The Impervious Door - Read along with our adventurers through this dungeon-crawl!

Vankoryth Detente - Calling All Vampires

Auroragon - The Multiverse awaits the last people of Norvnu

Connect on Twitch for my RPG live-streams <3
Tutorials, dramatic readings, worldbuilding, and more!

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 am

It hasn't been resolved.

mombie
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:25 am

It's being worked on! You found quite the bug <3 thank you for reporting it!

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor

Why So Many Character Tags?

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 pm

When I open up a page in my RP and check below the box where we type out our posts, there are like 150-200 characters that can be tagged... Why?

This is just the tip of the ice berg, by the way. There are at least another four screenshot's worth of these tags.

Sooo........ Who are these characters and why does my RP have them available? Lol.

On the serious side, though, I really don't like this feature. It makes scrolling down to actually read the RP's text a chore and, in my personal opinion, serves no logical or practical purpose given that none of these characters belong to my RP world.

Is there a way this feature of having all those tags can be removed? Maybe the coding team can look into why these tags are all there and get rid of them or give us a button or check box option to remove them?

Thank you!
Last edited by KumoriRyuu on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kumori Ryuu

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Beta Tester World Builder Lifegiver

Re: Why So Many Character Tags?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:04 pm

Try moving some of those characters to a different location using the chat commands?

LawOfTheLand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:11 pm

I've already brought this issue up in another thread. It is really ridiculous. There are hundreds of names there that never belonged to any RP that I have been in. I don't understand why we are being told that WE should remove this when it's the admin's job of taking care of this issue. I was told that, perhaps I should use an OUTSIDE website to preview my posts if I had a problem with this and wanted to tinker about with BBC code.

This is the thread in which I brought the issue up in: characters-recent-the-last-post-issue-t111719.html

If I am to be honest, I am beginning to feel like no one cares about what we have to say. This is an issue that spans across all of the RP universes. To ask us to remove ALL of these names via chat commands is ridiculous. It's an unfriendly feature. Just remove it. THEY ARE THE SAME NAMES IN ALL THE ROLEPLAYS! That means it is not an issue with one Universe or the other, but with all of them, and that makes it a problem for the Admins/Moderators to solve.

At risk of ending up on some Mod/Admin's bad side, I can't help but express my discontent. We have many questions and problems that are left unanswered, yet Raemus tends to his/her streams and the Discord when the streams are around. he/she is clearly able to chat so long as it is about streams. However, he/she is simply not around when the members need them. No one is. If it weren't for the awesome people making great RPs that I am enjoying, I would just skip out of this place. It really neglects its members, and I don't remember it being this way years ago.

It takes BEGGING to ask people why the site is down until we finally get an answer.

It's just.... unfriendly, and bad customer service.

Regardless, I hope that maybe now that someone else has complained, that maybe this issue can be looked at. At the moment, I just have to deal with the endless scrolling (especially if, heaven forbid, I want to look at an RP on my phone).

mombie
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:29 pm

This is being brought up again. Will it be eventually taken care of or no? Or at least just say no one will bother. Any answer is better than none, and being told to use outside services or take care of the problem ourselves is unfeasible.

I am beginning to think no one cares about the issues unless it's about the Multiverse.

mombie
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:48 pm

I have a stake in this problem, as Nikki Oceantide is my character.

Anyway, I have heard back from Remæus that he is trying to squash this thing. If you'd like to help, head on over to our Github!

LawOfTheLand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:15 pm

It looks like it has been squashed! Thank you. It is MUCH easier to scroll and preview posts as we make them now.

mombie
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Definitely many thanks for fixing this guys! Well done!

KumoriRyuu
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Beta Tester World Builder Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:52 am

Threads merged and issue resolved! Thanks for your patience on this one, took us more time than we would've liked to track it down. Happy roleplaying!
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 14 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!