Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Chat Fighting Systems.

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heero_gundam101 on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:15 pm

I guess i was right since no one said anything...

Lol, Derek... man, here i was thinkin Zero was fast and the first time i fought with Derek, well now i dont know anymore... i would LOVE to see Zero and Derek fight when Zero was in his prime... now that would be a fast, VERY fast fight combined with Zeros strategy, very interestin fight it would be.

I was never good with strategy, i had my moments but speed was all i had to rely on when i started. And when Gwing went down i stopped frequenting chatrooms and fighting. Lost my speed and my skill, Andy tried to kick me back into it a couple of times, and they would always be the times when the forums were hoping with activity over something interesting but as soon as that ended i would fade away again until the next time.

I'm one of those expensive investments for Andy, has to keep retraining me to be what i once was.

Sad eh?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Heero_gundam101
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversationalist Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aarkon on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:42 pm

Booooooo! @ Speed Fighting.

Like I said, it doesn't matter if you know how to reverse, you still need speed to type it out faster than they connect. Considering counters take twelve words in a regulated speed fight.

But hey, I say let whoever's fighting decide. >=O Like when me and Wind fought. I got like.. Two sentences in, and he even went slow on me!

I'm not a slow typer! I'm average, around 60-70 wpm last time I checked. Which was a while ago, so I'm sure I might be faster.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aarkon
Member for 19 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:24 pm

Twelve words in a regulated speed fight? Screw that shyte.

Yea you gotta be fast to an extent, but freakin Xez and Derek are about on par, or they were at one time, and I'm barely hangin in there with those guys. I was still able to take Xez down, shift to a full-mount, grab an arm, spin and break it before he could figure out how to get out of it.

Just gotta be creative folks.
Live in your world, get KOed in mine.

ImageImage

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aarkon on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:32 pm

o_O; Yeah. Twelve.

It was

Seven Words - Prep.
Ten Words - Connect

Seven Words - Dodge
Twelve Words - Counter(Needs a Connect after)

Aarkon
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:53 pm

So why fight under those rules if they don't favor you?

Freestyle baby, no rules except those you agree to with your opponent.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aarkon on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:02 pm

Ah, it's not the fact that I don't like it. It's the fact that it's still speed orientated. I mean, I used to T2 for fun. xD Just like, messing around with people.

But, T1 was my shine. n_n; Ah, the detailed fighting of para, turn based.

Aarkon
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:00 pm

I love how beautifully simple and yet extraordinarily sensible chat combat is.

In a real fight, you need strength. However, if you have 50-75% of your opponent's strength and a lot more skill than them, you can bring 'em down.

In a chat fight, you need speed. However, if you haver 50-75% of your opponent's speed (as stated by Eric) and a lot more skill, you can bring 'em down.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aarkon on Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:03 pm

Not really. o_O; If they type out their connect before you can type out your 'skillful' defence, or counter, then.. You're still screwed.

Aarkon
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:21 pm

lol again, it boils down to strategy. Like Zhelir said.

When I'm fighting Derek, and he may have noticed this, I'll often get some distance between us, and fire off some long range attack. This is usually without guns, so normally I throw a knife or come at him with a flying kick. With the distance between us during a melee battle, such an attack usually isn't expected, though I highly doubt that the attack will connect. I don't count on that attack though. Instead, I immediately begin planning my back-up attack. If I threw the knife, I'll usually come in for a takedown, or if it was the flying kick, I fire off a second kick as soon as I can.

In the same instance, on defense, it's very simply to counter-attack. If you wait for something and it comes, it's not that hard to type up the counter before they connect. It won't always work every time, but eventually it'll land. Normally I try to catch a leg or a fist. I take my lumps waiting for it, but I still end up catching it at some point. From there I work an armbar or a take-down depending on the situation and which limb I managed to catch.

You're focusing too much on one aspect of the game, like Zhelir said, strength in a fight, speed in an chat battle.

You're also limiting yourself by the rules again. Not all styles use a "Connect" line. I loathe them. I never started using connections until TRBS introduced itself. Then I only converted to it in order to accomodate my opponent. I'm still not great shakes at it, because I'd much rather be throwing attacks over and over again rather than trying to make them connect, it tends to detract from my train of thought or my current combination if i have to stop after every attack to type a connection.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faithy on Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:46 pm

Heero_gundam101 wrote:Are you people veterans or has AM messed you up? GWC has no styles other then a word limit that we adopted after AM, by now the word limit is a kind of forced thing.

I never liked Hit claims, my deal was if you don’t move in time for my next attack to come, you’ve been hit, not that meant anything toward my end days of fighting, i had gotten so slow even Faith could dodge my attacks...
(Imma hear about that one later, but was worth it!)

If I’m right the speed styles refer to exactly what I was just talking about, if your opponent does not parry, dodge, or block an attack before your next attack comes in, then that attack is a hit. Correct me if I'm wrong, it’s been a while for me

You asshole... I hate you. >=/ Sorry, fucktard is reserved for Andy. >=/

Faithy
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Contributor Beta Tester Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel Faile on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:00 pm

I can't wait to start up my speed battle skills again. I never found para fights all that interesting...Maybe its just me.

Gabriel Faile
Member for 19 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:28 pm

Screw styles.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel Faile on Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:40 pm

What do you suggest then?

Gabriel Faile
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zach_Rendar on Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:42 pm

Freestyle, of course!
~Zach, the one you know and love!

Zach_Rendar
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel Faile on Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:24 pm

I don't think freestyle is as fair as structured...though it has been awhile since I've done it.

Gabriel Faile
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Senor_Fun on Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:54 pm

I type around 2 million words per second, so I suggest no one fights me.

Senor_Fun
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:18 am

Read the rest of the topic.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heero_gundam101 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:33 am

I knew Faith would eventually read this...

Dont worry Faith, you know im jokin.. right?!

Heero_gundam101
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversationalist Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faithy on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:10 pm

Heero_gundam101 wrote:I knew Faith would eventually read this...

Dont worry Faith, you know im jokin.. right?!

Riiiiiight. I'll just have Andy kill you later. >=/

Faithy
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Contributor Beta Tester Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jewbie on Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:40 am

People didn't begin fighting SENSIBLY until I introduced TRBS to AM.com, heh. Bleh, here are a few things that happened before I came to educate many of the more 'newbie' fighters.

One, there was no such thing as an approach.

Two, there were hit claims, but it was assbackwards, apparently you had to claim a hit against you before you could dodge the next attack, which was bullshit because there was no strike attempt, just the strike. Freestyle was seriously flawed for that reason.

Three, lines were ridiculously short and redundant. There isn't much variety when you've only got a four to six word limit to work with, heh. Nine is fine, twelve to sixteen is IDEAL.

Four, no one used names or specified which part/area of their opponents body they were attacking. lol...

Bah, the list is too long. TRBS is T2, T2 is TRBS. TRBS is much more mature, though, and if you ask me, it had more success than the latter. Everyone, except the few of you that refused to make changes to their own method of combat, had a great time using TRBS. If two fighter's can agree on fighting honorably, that's great, but each fighter has their own method/style of combat, what if theirs differs too much from yours?!!1 Many of you can say it doesn't, because you've all roleplayed together and have some idea of what "combat" should be like. Newbies are going to show-up, some of them will want to become apart of the 'clique' and you'll attempt to teach them the style, instead of pointing them to a clear 'documented' version that many of you can agree is the site's official rules. ASJAGHS BLAH FUCK THIS. lol.

Steve adopted the style shortly before he left and he admitted to a more enjoyable experience. Much of the same can be said for Garrett. Two old-timers, two great fighters. Anywayyy... I'm finished.

Jewbie
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!