Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Chat Fighting Systems.

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Chat Fighting Systems.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:55 pm

I assume that a lot of the old Freestylers have adopted hit claims, and from what I've heard it sounds like a lot of them have upped their word limit. I think, however, that if you're using fifteen words to describe a punch aimed at your opponent's jaw, you might as well be fighting turn-based. I'd like to stick my 4+ minimum, 8+ max.

But I wonder what everyone else wants to do. I'm not sure exactly what the consensus is, so consider this post a query into that.

I would prefer to do it the old way, without hit claims, between 4+ and 8+ word limit. But I'm old fashioned like that and I'm afraid the times have passed me by.
Live in your world, get KOed in mine.

ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:58 pm

I'm stickin' with my old standby, the same thing I've had since either very near end-GWC or early-AM, and that's standard TRBS, no modifications.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:03 pm

Okay, so for those that don't know and us senile old coots, what exactly comprises TRBS?

I think I recall 4+, Hit Claims, 10+ hits before kill? something like that?

Then there was a bunch of other things about making sure you didn't move completely freely while weighed down with a lot of armor and other such considerations, but I don't remember everything.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Southern Wind on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:05 pm

Ehh, well, i've ben to a few different chats and i've learned quite a few fighting style. I suggest jus' lettin' the two fighters come to an agreement before the fight on which style to use instead of setting a certain one for all.

The Southern Wind
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:08 pm

The simple run down (I'm sure we'll have some page up if Master accepts the style, with full rules) is this:

4+ Words to hit, dodge, claim, etc.

Melee weapons require an attack, and a connect.

Ranged weapons need an aim, a shot, and a connet.

Ranged at point-blank only need to place the gun to the location and fire, it's an auto-hit if a person lets themself get caught close-up.

Spells require an incantation/motion/something. Something that 'activates' it. So you have the activation, the actual spell, and then the connection (which, with more interesting spells, is usually auto-hit, as it's hard to think of an out for magic that's not a fireball or some shit.)

25 hits to kill, but I do add a modification here, and that's the you only need a REASONABLE (Emphasis on reasonable. If you're both bloody piles of shit, it doesn't count.) lead on the opponent. However, if I run into an oldie that refuses to do it, I'm happy to oblige the 25+ hit.

Throws and all that shit would take too long, so the above should suffice until a full set of rules is up.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:19 pm

I despise rules. Always have. I come from GWC, we never knew what the word style meant.

Everyone should be honorable in terms of accepting hits and such. Everyone should be versed in three forms of combat. The two main variants of speed fighting, hit claims and freestyle, as well as forum combat. You could focus on speed or forum fighting, but it's much easier if you do both. TRBS, TKBS... all that shit falls under hit claims. Just be reasonable and there's no need for any bullshit rules. Freestyle can be ZCS, Shin Freestyle, AMDS, whatever. Just be aware that there are no hit claims.

I believe I made a topic about this in the Battle Records.

Forum combat is forum combat. I don't care if you do para(graph) fighting or single paragraph fighting. Just remember. If you don't specify what you are doing, the other fighter is free to choose to his advantage. Whether it is 1 paragraph or 7+, as long as you are giving enough information about what you are doing.

Bah. I need to switch rooms. I forgot what I was writing about, as well... if anyone needs anything cleared up, as I believe that I missed a few things... just reply.

>=D

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aarkon on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:57 pm

Zhelir Darkfall wrote:The simple run down (I'm sure we'll have some page up if Master accepts the style, with full rules) is this:

4+ Words to hit, dodge, claim, etc.

Melee weapons require an attack, and a connect.

Ranged weapons need an aim, a shot, and a connet.

Ranged at point-blank only need to place the gun to the location and fire, it's an auto-hit if a person lets themself get caught close-up.

Spells require an incantation/motion/something. Something that 'activates' it. So you have the activation, the actual spell, and then the connection (which, with more interesting spells, is usually auto-hit, as it's hard to think of an out for magic that's not a fireball or some shit.)

25 hits to kill, but I do add a modification here, and that's the you only need a REASONABLE (Emphasis on reasonable. If you're both bloody piles of shit, it doesn't count.) lead on the opponent. However, if I run into an oldie that refuses to do it, I'm happy to oblige the 25+ hit.

Throws and all that shit would take too long, so the above should suffice until a full set of rules is up.

Sounds to me like a Lesser T2 style. O_o;

Aarkon
Member for 19 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:01 pm

Unless I'm mistaken (and I could be, but I'm pretty sure I'm not) most hit claim styles are derrivitives of TRBS.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:04 pm

Screw styles. Any speed style can be classified by whether or not it uses hit claims.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aarkon on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:11 pm

I say we use a form of T1; Para Turn Based? No connection, try to make it so the other person needs to take a hit; also, by knowing the opponent, you should know if you could hit or not, and such.

Aarkon
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Warr on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:13 pm

I would like to know what everything means.... I have no idea what ya'll mean about speed sombat styles and such.

Please enlighten me.
Last edited by Warr on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warr
Member for 19 years
Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:13 pm

o_O. I think Master made it fairly obvious that he'll castrate himself before make a uniform style for GWC?

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:15 pm

Screw styles. Turnbased is honor oriented, even if you despise your opponent. Reasonable action in one post, and 1 attack per post. If they do not counter (block, trap, or dodge) in the next turn, the attack is considered a hit in your next post. You can call the hit or not... and if they do not compensate for the damage done, you may call exactly what the attack does in your third post.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:44 pm

Zhelir Darkfall wrote:o_O. I think Master made it fairly obvious that he'll castrate himself before make a uniform style for GWC?

As he should. I'm with him, screw styles. I'll go from fight to fight agreeing with each opponent on what rules we'll be using. Almost, if not certainly, all of my fights will be done in the chat.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:53 pm

Yeah, I'm with the rest of ya'll. Whenever I fight someone I know is good, I just tell them to fight because I know they won't pull any bullshit. It's how I've fought Andy, Eric, and Justin. It makes it easier in role play in the chat too. No need to stop and agree on rules and such if a fight breaks out in the middle of a bar scene or something. You just know that the other guy is going to be fair because he has more pride in his fighting than to degrade himself into idiotic tactics. It's all good.

For the new guys who are joining this, I think that Andy was on the right track. Teaching them to tricks of the trade and they'll get down their own feel and style that suits them and isn't completely out of line.
ImageImage

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heero_gundam101 on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:24 am

Are you people veterans or has AM messed you up? GWC has no styles other then a word limit that we adopted after AM, by now the word limit is a kind of forced thing.

I never liked Hit claims, my deal was if you don’t move in time for my next attack to come, you’ve been hit, not that meant anything toward my end days of fighting, i had gotten so slow even Faith could dodge my attacks...

(Imma hear about that one later, but was worth it!)

If I’m right the speed styles refer to exactly what I was just talking about, if your opponent does not parry, dodge, or block an attack before your next attack comes in, then that attack is a hit. Correct me if I'm wrong, it’s been a while for me

Heero_gundam101
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversationalist Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aarkon on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:28 am

I hate speed though. It goes for nothing but typing skill!

Aarkon
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:27 am

Speed isn't as important as technique.

Wait for it... wait for it... NOW!

As long as you can hold up at about 50-75% of the opponent's speed, you'll be fine with strategy. I never was really known as a fast fighter, I could hold my own against most, but my ability to stay alive lay in the fact that I used strategy.

As far as hit claims and no hit claims, no hit claims is what we all used to do. By including hit claims and forum combat, I am simply accomodating to those who refuse to work on their speed, and for those who do not like not being able to quantify their attacks. I can do all three. I recommend everyone learns to do the same.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aarkon on Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:33 am

Yes, but I'm able to type a four paragraph attack with less than two minute for paragraph. And when I say paragraph, I mean nine complete yahoo based lines.

I mean, I can tell if you had to wait ten minutes for a post. O_o; But, yeah.

Aarkon
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:33 am

As Master was saying, technique and strategy mean a lot too. I mean, when you're going up against someone like Xez or Derek... A lot of the time you're screwed. Strategy is all you've got there, even though most of the time you can never have enough to win.

I am proud to say though, I managed to break Xez's arm in an armbar during a fight a few months back, almost a year ago, maybe even more actually.

Grappling is an excellent strategy that I've been using since I learned the ground game. Very few people I find are competent enough on the ground to defend themselves against the more advanced techniques. Speed doesn't mean much there if you don't know how to succesfully reverse someone.

As far as guns and gundams are concerned, technology is your friend here, as are tactics. Flash-grenades, sniper rifles, automatic fire, EMP, target-tracking missiles, cloaks, these all present horribly complicated possibilites that may just be the down-fall of your fast-fingered opponent.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!