Closing the "Private Roleplay" Forum

a topic in Uncategorized Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

Other roleplay stuff, either inactive or otherwise. Roleplays that don't fit within any of the other categories.

Closing the "Private Roleplay" Forum

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:03 am

After an extended trial period of the "Private Roleplay" forum, we have decided that having an area where private roleplays can be held in public is not constructive for our community and will be closing the forum.

Effective immediately, the ability to create new topics in the "Private Roleplay" forum has been disabled, but replies can still be made to existing topics.

Do not create "PRP" threads in other forums. They will be removed.
Instead, please create your roleplays with titles that match the story that you intend to write.

Create your new roleplays with titles that match the story, and in the forum that fits your genre. These will be approved.
If you want your topic moved, please give it a title and remove "PRP" and player names from the title, then click the "Summon Moderator" button when your thread meets the requirements. A moderator will get to it as quickly as possible.

Please reply directly to this thread if you have any questions or comments!
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 14 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller

Re: Closing the "Private Roleplay" Forum

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TeasingTemptation on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Wait, so even if there won't a specific forum for them, are invite-only RPs still going to be allowed on this site?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TeasingTemptation
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Archangel on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:56 pm

I do not have a private role play thread, but I know this site is known for writing stories and poetry also. What if two or three people just want to role play to create a story for someone to read? I think that if a few people want to write a story for others, they should be able to.

Archangel
Member for 10 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:57 pm

Yes, so long as the roleplay has a proper title and does not include things like "PRP" or "1x1", it will be allowed. We stepped outside of our standard categorization approach when we created the Private Roleplay forum, and it just makes more organizational sense to apply the same rules to all roleplays.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 14 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Archangel on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Ok. Thank you for answering my question.

Archangel
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Huh. So the Private Roleplay forum is getting removed.. Well, if I may be so bold as to comment.

My personal feelings: Woohoo! I never really found any appeal in 1x1 or "PRP" in any form or fashion, never understood how others could enjoy it either but hey! Not my place to judge. Since people liked it so much I wouldn't stop them from enjoying it, nor would even care about it much. The fact that it is being removed is awesome to me because it just kind of doesn't make any sense. If it's a "private" roleplay then why have it out where everyone can read it? If you want a private roleplay, then PM someone and ask them to PRP with you. Send PM's back and forth just like "posts" or use an instant messenger. Presto! PRP where it is actually a PRP. Otherwise you can also just join a public Roleplay like most of us do.

Huh. Wonder how I got into rant-mode. Oh well. Anyways my feelings truly can be expressed in words for once. Hope you all have a nice day and for those of you who are going to HATE this (because I know who you are..) You can always do the aforementioned PM/IM strategy.
I only teach those willing to learn.

Brovo
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:00 pm

The only quirk I see with this is that people may be mislead to find they only need a single person for a roleplay. Maybe a tag? Personally I never found much a point to them, they were glorified IM conversations in character, methinks. But I hope those who did enjoy them can still do so in a proper forum or private messages.

Safisan
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cloaked_Schemer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:08 pm

I never really saw a point in having Private roleplays on a public forum. Of course, I find it less of a hassle than to have to constantly clean out my inbox, but overall it's better off without it.
(12:17:45) RoxYRosE: And you did. Crim is not a liar... ask her if I said what you said I said. I bet she says what I think she'll say.

ImageImage

Cloaked_Schemer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Remaeus, in the future, will it be possible to have a roleplay between two people in another forum so long as it is appropriately titled (e.g. The Death of Hope, Kissing Stephanie, Virgil's Rebirth, etc.)? If so, should there be a note at the top of the first post saying that there are no signups, or no public signups?

Also, in order to have topics moved, just re-title them and summon a moderator? On the drop down menu is there now an option for something like 'private roleplay thread, please move'? Should we specifically ask the moderator to move the thread to a specific genre-related forum?

Thank you for your active support in keeping our community running! :D You have one fan on here, if no one else.

Love, Ylanne

One suggestion I do have for the site is perhaps you could make a private roleplay subforum in each genre's main forum? . . . then again, that probably wouldn't work out too well either. I like the idea of forcing people to appropriately title their private roleplays. The one active one in a thread I'm doing has a title; I simply need to remove the other player's and my own names from the thread title and have it moved to Realistic Roleplay. This is correct, right?

Thanks again, Ylanne.
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

Stunning letter from autistic survivor of electric shock torture in USA

Ylanne
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:42 pm

I think he's trying to say that you can have a roleplay with two or more players (self included) but you may not title it with "PRPs!" or "PRP(Mid and Ponats only)" and the likes. Give it a normal title like a regular roleplay.

Also, if you see someone make this error then help them out. Eventually this should be sorted out and things will fall into place.
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Silcatra on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:26 pm

I frequent another forum where all threads have titles, and very few threads are open to any and everyone.

When it's supposed to be limited to just a certain group of people, as small as just two (actually, we don't have a rule against doppleposting, so some people even have solo RPs). Typically in the first post, the starter will have a tag that says "Open," "Open to #," "Closed (to >name(s)<)," or "Solo." Not always, but it's forum etiquette not to just join a thread without a tag unless you've asked the starter.

I think that's what the change is all about here.

I can't say I'm sad to see it go. "PRP [X and Y]" looks very cookie cutter and bland.

Silcatra
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aika on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Why are we disabling the right to do a private role-play ^_^ ?
Kill Them With Kindness :D

I got the great news... I'm having a little GIRL!

Aika
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Read it again, hon. You *can* do PRPs, just with a proper title and under the category that suits it. So what would have been SafisanxNakedSheep is now 'The grand plains of Bikini Bottom.'

It brings some class to it, don't you think? As for truly private roleplays, you've had that shiny PM button far, far before the private roleplay forum. (At least, I think so.)

Safisan
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aika on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Ah, sorry xD I had a long and hard day at school, busy reviewing for exams and such.

Aika
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Archangel on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:46 am

Just to comment on Brovo's comment. There are more meanings to private then just one. I am sure that if they wanted a behind the doors private roleplay, they probably did pm each other. They could have just wanted to roleplay with their friends and not have anybody else ruin their story. That would also make it private, but could have more than one person (which would be difficult in pm), and have it so other people could read it and comment; kind of like writing a story in a blog for others to see. Hope that answers your question.

Archangel
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pyschogirl on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:18 am

My personal feelings: Woohoo! I never really found any appeal in 1x1 or "PRP" in any form or fashion, never understood how others could enjoy it either but hey! Not my place to judge. Since people liked it so much I wouldn't stop them from enjoying it, nor would even care about it much. The fact that it is being removed is awesome to me because it just kind of doesn't make any sense. If it's a "private" roleplay then why have it out where everyone can read it? If you want a private roleplay, then PM someone and ask them to PRP with you. Send PM's back and forth just like "posts" or use an instant messenger. Presto! PRP where it is actually a PRP. Otherwise you can also just join a public Roleplay like most of us do.

I've recently signed up for a bunch of PRPs, and I think it's a hassle to have to clean out your inbox all the time. And I never liked IM PRPs. They don't really have any description, like some blurb about what your character is doing...I just think it's kind of stupid. Sorry, it's just my writer part of me. Anyway, I would rather just go with the description that goes with the story, which is what I do. The reason I like putting it into a thread is because of one, I don't have to clean out my inbox, as I stated earlier, and the other is because why not share your work with the rest of the community? Nothing bad about that.
Image Image Image

My people.

pyschogirl
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:22 am

Then create a Roleplay and name it something like "The Adventurous Duo" and specify in the first line in the first post "LOOKING FOR ONE OTHER PERSON ONLY!" Really they just don't want to see a bunch of 1x1 or PRP's on the screen anymore. I'm sure you can still do them if you type them up like a regular RP with the exception of setting the player limit to two. x3 If that doesn't work then you'll just have to suck it up and go by E-Mail/PM/IM. >.>

Brovo
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pyschogirl on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:28 am

Then create a Roleplay and name it something like "The Adventurous Duo" and specify in the first line in the first post "LOOKING FOR ONE OTHER PERSON ONLY!"

The thing I have with that is usually when I'm trying to do an RP with someone, I usually don't have any ideas. What I do is I let the other person share their ideas, and if I happen to have any lying around, I say them, and it goes until we both find something to work with. So, that wouldn't be very helpful.

pyschogirl
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Then drop a post in the Interest Checks forum and type in a name like "The Adventurous Duo" and ask for help on setting up the Roleplay. Something like "I'm looking for one other person to help me set up a Roleplay about two people going on an adventure!" Just keep it vague and simple and I'm sure you'll find someone who will want to Roleplay with you, and will help you get one set up so that the two of you can have a smashing good time.

Also, if you can't even come up with a really, REALLY vague title and objective (like person A and person B go on an adventure about X thing) then why are you trying to PRP? >.< Stay in a public Roleplay where you can learn a few cues and tips from other players if you really can't think of anything.

Heck, you could even just call it "Fantasy Roleplay in the making!" It isn't that hard! Really! Just spend a few minutes thinking about what you wanna do. xD

Brovo
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cloaked_Schemer on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:44 pm

You could always just make sure that whoever takes up your offer has ideas at hand. That's what I do.

Cloaked_Schemer
Member for 11 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!