Confucius

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Confucius

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby dealing with it on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:31 pm

For anyone unfamiliar with Confucianism, it is essentially a religion of perfection. One is expected to master oneself, to live harmoniously with one’s family, and thus bring about a utopia. I don’t believe in perfection. There is no such thing as a perfect parent, child, ruler, friend, teacher, or student.

Because of this twisted desire for perfection, the Chinese state has never treated the mentally ill as a health issue, but instead as a character defect.

What are your thoughts?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Re: Confucius

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:57 am

I remember learning about Confusionism when I took World Religions class. I actually don't recall a lot of it. Maybe because I didn't agree with it? I was more interested in Taoism since to me it had more aspects I believe in, like balance (Yin/Yang).

Anyway, I will admit that I have been known to be a perfectionist, but I do know that will never be possible. Plus if everything were perfect, life would be boring because there be no challenge and without the bad, we couldn't appreciate the good.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zodia195
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby rpgwriter on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Religion has its place but its better to rest on known science. As an autism parent I am very familiar with neuro-developmental challenges and its nothing religious.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

rpgwriter
Member for 2 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Zodia195 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Interesting, Rpg. Even though I am single with no child, I have autism myself (specifically Asperger's). I like science (Earth sciences mostly, biology I was not great at lol), I personally never got all the answers I sought in science even though it did explain a few things. I actually have a minor in Special Ed and remember covering Autism and how our brains can work. Like how we can make our own connections on how things work, even though they may not make sense to others. Or how we take in everything. I personally think that's why sometimes those on the spectrum have sensory issues because we take in so many things that it becomes easier to be overwhelm by certain things.

For me personally, I need a balance of both practicality (science) and spirituality. I don't see myself as religious though simply because I think trying to describe the divine and fit it into a human perspective is limiting. My mom once told me that you may not be able to prove God scientifically, but you can't disprove the Him either. That's just me though.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Zodia195
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby rpgwriter on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:35 am

For me personally, I need a balance of both practicality (science) and spirituality.

Sure, I am not saying that one should not have spirituality but what I am pointing too is when it comes to our own differences and the reasons behind them I think science is better than religion since religion is a biased view and is often based on old thinking.

rpgwriter
Member for 2 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Rpgwriter,
All thought is biased, and simply saying that old thoughts are wrong is an Appeal to Novelty, a fallacy.

As to religion and mental health, religions can make people distrusting of psychiatry. There is definitely an effect on the institution caused by one’s spiritual outlook. I see it in Chinese culture. They don’t treat mental problems as an illness, which is why there are 100 million undiagnosed mentally ill people in China.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Zodia195 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:54 pm

You know what Dealing, you comment here reminds me of Western folk who practices Eastern healing methods. Many of them say that it's good to practice things like meditation, acupuncture, etc., but it should never been a substitute for Western medicine if it helps someone. They actually encourage the usage of both Western and Eastern methods they work in harmony with each other. Like several years ago (like 5 years), I discovered I have 'silent seizures'. It's not the type that progressively gets worse (thank God), but it basically causes me to blank out for a few seconds and I wouldn't even know it. Anyway, I am now on medication and can drive again and am also more aware of things too. I certainly wouldn't rely on an Eastern method to handle this problem.

Zodia195
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:58 pm

I see the reliance on alternative medicine to be a problem. Traditional Eastern Medicine is better than homeopathy, which is about as effective as shamanism. There’s a group I follow on Facebook called Shamanism and they wonder if it’s ethical to charge a fee for their “services.” Clue: it’s not.

Homeopaths work outside of the medical system. $100 for a tiny bottle of snake oil.

Western medicine is the most effective treatment of mental illness.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 8 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!