Conquering the Odds (LunaTalula22 & MurmilloFallax)

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Conquering the Odds (LunaTalula22 & MurmilloFallax)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LunaTalula22 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:03 am

(This is a roleplay set in the Guild Wars 2 universe between LunaTalula22 and MurmilloFallax.)

In summary....

In the 1332 year after the exodus of the human gods, Tyria is in turmoil. The sentient races of the world continue their fight for survival against the cataclysmic powers of the Elder Dragons, having defeated the undead dragon Zhaitan and the Jungle dragon Mordremoth. An influx of draconic energy has been released with both dragons’ defeat, upsetting the delicate balance of magic and threatening the world with oblivion.

Against this backdrop of uncertainty, two Krytan nobles try to continue living their lives. While recovering from an incursion by the undead Awakened, Vigil Sergeant Casilda De LaFosse meets a Priory Magister, Cadmus Arkwright, as he returns from the land of Elona. With the recent passing of her father, Casil’s family has pressured her to settle down with a suitable husband. Facing increased pressure from her mother and eldest brother to marry and an unending wave of would-be suitors, Casil proposes the scholar aid her in a simple deception - play the part of her suitor, at least for a time. Castor agrees - if nothing else, to offer him company outside the walls of the Priory’s libraries.

As their deception plays out, an unexpected event calls on the pair to also work together professionally. As members of the Vigil and Priory, Casil and Castor are called upon by the Pact, Tyria’s combined force to fight against the dragons, to assist in rescuing an influential noblewoman lost in the proto-reality of the Mists. Through their preparations, Castor and Casil’s game quickly becomes a truth as their feelings for one another develop. Their time to explore these feelings, however, is short lived - during their mission, Castor is lost to the unending realities of the Mists.

Weeks pass - Casil’s family urges her to grieve, then continue the search for a suitable husband. Distraught but resolute, Casil leverages members of the Priory to help locate and retrieve Castor from the Mists. She has also lead her family to believe she's with child and this has put off any sort of pressure for the Lady to find a husband.

While it had only been weeks on Tyria, Castor had been lost in the Mists for months. His armor battered and severely wounded, he recovered over the following weeks. Slowly, but surely, he recovers, with Casil’s aid. Having realized their love for one another, they prepare for their marriage, even as the pair deal with the interference of their families and the unexpected effects of Castor’s time in the Mists.

And to continue...

The two nobles wandered the streets of Divinity's Reach and towards their destination, the Priory, to hopefully meet with a few important individuals. Casil strolled beside her fiance with a gauntlet-clad hand resting upon the Revenant's arm. A pleased smile plastered itself on her face as a cool breeze touched it. "Isn't this nice? Getting out, for once, and enjoying the evening air together again? Seems as if that sort of luxury was lost to us for ages!"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LunaTalula22
Member for 2 years
Friendly Beginnings

Re: Conquering the Odds (LunaTalula22 & MurmilloFallax)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MurmilloFallax on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:35 pm

Castor looked around his surroundings with uncertainty, as though it was the first time he had walked this street, so well known to him for years. His senses were distorted, with additional sights, sounds, and smells creeping in from the corners of his mind. While faint, these unexpected stimuli vexxed him more than he cared to admit to Casil.

He was what Tyrians knew as a Revenant - a being who could channel the proto-reality of the Mists to invoke the powers of certain figures from the past. Most Revenants would invoke the strength of well-known figures who had left their mark of the Mist’s malleable fabric - the demon Mallyx the Unyielding, the pacifist centaur Ventari, or the Canthan assassin Shiro Tagachi, to name a few. Castor’s gift, however, had allowed him to readily tap into a single individual’s power for the past few years - his now deceased twin brother, Cadmus.

Until now, at least.

Something was attempting to call to him from the Mists, but its message was unclear. As a result, its beckoning played across all of Castor’s senses, causing them to reverberate and translate the unknownable call into a mess of confusing stimuli. Hopefully, one of his colleagues at the Priory would help him sort it out, and reveal this new voice from the void.

It took him a moment to sort out Casil’s words- words firmly rooted in the physical world of Tyria. He turned to her and smiled instinctively, quiet for a moment as he made sense of her comments.

“It is nice to walk about the city again, yes - I suppose I had forgotten what it felt like,” he responded. He had not walked these streets for a year. While only lost for a month in the Mists, time did not follow its inevitable march with the same tempo in that space, leaving Castor to wander for...

In truth, he knew not how long he had wandered. With a slight shudder, he tried to focus on something other than the fragmented memories of his time there.

“I suppose I should have figured out exactly what I was going to ask Reynert when we arrived. I am not sure how anyone here will be able to help,” he said, trying to focus on his colleague. It would be good to see him again.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MurmilloFallax
Member for 0 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LunaTalula22 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:39 am

Casil watched her fiance while they walked and managed to hide the worry she felt for him. A worry that had stuck around and become stronger with each passing day. She knew something wasn't quite right with him ever since his return and hoped they'd find some answers once they reached the Priory.

A smile was on her lips and she leaned over to press a soft kiss on his cheek. "I am quite certain you'll have the questions ready and pouring out the moment you see them."

They reached the Priory just as she finished speaking. She'd let him lead the way in while peering around. The building was a library, kept clean, but it still had the musty smell of used tomes. It was a favorite scent of Casil's and she breathed it in, sparing a moment to savor it and close her eyes very briefly. They peered at Castor when reopening and she waited to see where he'd lead them to next.

LunaTalula22
Member for 2 years
Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MurmilloFallax on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:37 am

“Pouring as quickly as tar, I’m sure”, he said simply, though he could not help but grin at Casil’s affection as Durmand Hall came into view. He walked through the entryway without a second thought.

It was a sizable library and the Priory’s headquarters within the Reach. The collection of books, tomes, and other artifacts here no doubt rivalled the collections within the royal court, or the libraries within the Temple of Kormir within the city. Beyond the library, Priory members could be found deeper within the walls of the hall going about their daily activities. While Castor’s family lived within the Rurikton District of the Divinity’s Reach, where many of the pale-skinned Ascalonians had congregated as humanity was pushed back on all sides, Durmand Hall was more home to Castor than his family’s ancestral manor.

And it felt good to be home.

He walked toward the hallway leading deeper into Durmand Hall without a second thought until when a voice stopped him.

“Ex, excuse me, sir? That area is off limits to non-Priory members. Perhaps I can assist you?”

Castor turned to the unfamiliar voice, confused. A Canthan woman, probably in her early twenties, approached him. Clearly a novice, Castor thought as he appraised the newcomer. She must have been recruited or transferred to Durmand Hall during his absence.

“I’m here to see Magister Kairos,” Castor responded. His voice was friendly enough, though a vein of annoyance seemed to creep its way into his usually amicable demeanor.

“Oh… I don’t believe Magister Kairos is expecting any visitors. He’s very busy, I’m afraid, I don’t think he would have time to meet with you.”

“No time to meet with a fellow Magister?,” Castor questioned, raising an eyebrow. The novice paused, looking for some clue to make sense of his response - Castor’s armor set him apart from the usual scholar.

“You a Magister?...,” she responded, uncertain. She thought for a moment, mentally tallying all the Magisters that were a part of Durmand Hall. “Oh! You must be The Rev- er, Magister Arkwright,” she corrected, seemingly embarrassed for having questioned her superior, “I’ll need to check with before I let you th-”

“There is no need for that, Olivia,” came a voice from down within the hall. A pale woman with red hair emerged, “This is indeed Magister Arkwright, who I understand should be taking another weeks rest before returning.”

“Isabella, it is good to see you,” Castor said with a smile and curt nod.

“And you, Magister,” she responded before turning to Casil.

“He has healed well - no doubt you’ve played a major role in that, Lady De LaFosse,” Isabella noted as she ushered the two into the hall. They walked for a moment until they were out of sight of other Priory members. Without warning, Isabella turned to give Castor a hug - short, to avoid upsetting his fiancee, but still enough of a surprise to nearly knock the Revenant off his feet.

“I’m growing tired of fearing you may be dead,” Isabella playfully chided as she let go of him, “Reynart too. Lady De LaFosse, I trust you will keep him a bit safer under your care?”

MurmilloFallax
Member for 0 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LunaTalula22 on Wed May 01, 2019 2:39 am

Had Isabella not stepped in, Casil may have intervened between the exchange of Castor and the novice to display her own status. Not that it may have mattered, but she could've tried. However, it wasn't needed as the red-head appeared to save the day. She followed the two down the hall, feeling relief that they may soon have answers. Just then, Casil's hand went to her sword's hilt upon seeing Isabella stop and turn so suddenly. She relaxed seeing it was only a hug, nodding her head once to Isabella.

"Of course. What happened will not happen again while he's under my care. What happened shouldn't have happened in the first place. I was supposed to protect everyone in the squad and not all of us made it through." She pointedly looked to Castor and reiterated, "And I will not allow that to happen a second time."

Casil's gaze shifted back to Isabella. "We're hoping to find answers to an issue Castor's been having recently. I do hope Magister Kairos is here?" She inquired with the arch of a dark brow.

LunaTalula22
Member for 2 years
Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MurmilloFallax on Fri May 03, 2019 12:25 am

Castor did not seem to notice the conversation’s focus on him, looking around the Hall as he tried to locate a voice that Casil and Isabella did not seem to hear. Muffled and distant, he could only make out a few words, if they could be called such things.

Isabella looked from Casil back to Castor, noting his distracted gaze. She gently grabbed his chin, turning his gaze to Casil.

“Castor… Castor, focus - your Fiancée is talking to you,” she said playfully as she craned his head. Castor shook her grip as he focused on Casil.

“Yes… Let’s speak with Reynert,” he said simply, stalking down the hall.

Reynert’s office was nearby, with the tow-haired magister reading through a text within. HIs movements were unusually quick, giving the appearance of flipping pages carelessly. As a chronomancer, the Magister would often manipulate the flow of time to read through various texts and reports faster. As the three entered the room, a faint aura of purple dissipated from the seated Scholar.

“Castor? You’re supposed to have another week’s rest. What brings you here?,” the Chronomancer asked inquisitively.

Isabella moved forward, explaining the situation to Reynert. As she did, Castor held his head in growing pain. “Any ideas would be welcome,” Castor said gently as he slowly moved toward Reynert.

“... Of course. Come have a seat Castor. Lady Casil, this may take a bit… I can try to shift the flow of time to speed up my work with Castor, but I’ll need to focus solely on Castor and myself. Would you be willing to wait with Isabella outside of my distortion while I work? Can Isabella get you anything while you wait?”

MurmilloFallax
Member for 0 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LunaTalula22 on Sun May 05, 2019 4:58 am

Casil's almond gaze didn't leave Castor. Her brows were drawn together with deep concern for the man she loved and very much cared for. It was a foreign emotion for the former reluctant lady to feel and so she wasn't very good with hiding it. Especially, when he seemed lost and confused while looking for the invisible source of whatever voice he heard. Before, it was only his twin brother. It hadn't worried her as much; however, this was something different.

The Vigil Sergeant followed them into Reynert's office. She was curious for a brief moment from the speed with which he used to read through the pages. After he approached and spoke directly to her, Casil returned her gaze to Castor and swallowed deeply. "If Castor's okay with it and feels safe, then.... Of course. I'll sit where I need to. There is nothing I need besides the reassurance he'll be safe."

LunaTalula22
Member for 2 years
Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MurmilloFallax on Mon May 06, 2019 11:51 am

Since first joining the Priory, Castor had looked to Reynert as a mentor and guide - though the two appeared to be around the same age and both held the same rank of Magister, Reynert acted with a knowledge and sensibility well beyond his apparent age and station. In short, Castor trusted the man completely.

“I’ll be alright Casil,” Castor replied, smiling weakly. If she hadn’t noticed before, Casil would certainly notice those dark circles and exhausted features creeping back into the Revenant’s features. Since his recovery at the hospital, his wounded body had forced dreamless sleep upon him. This reprieve, however, was only temporary - the nightmares must have returned, preventing Castor from a normal night’s sleep.

“I may be a bit,” he added with a quick hug and kiss on Casil’s forehead, before stepping toward Reynert. Without a word, a magenta field that mimicked a shattered mirror enclosed the space around the two Magisters, obscuring the two from view as the bubble captured a number of bookshelves and chairs in the time distortion.

“I guess that means I stay with you,” Isabella said with a smile, motioning Casil to a bench against the wall of Reynert’s office.

Isabella clearly happy to have something to do other than research. In truth, she hardly seemed the scholarly type, annoyed with her day-to-day responsibilities unless they included plumbing trap-filled ruins for whatever the Priory was looking for. Combined with her skills of lock-picking which Casil had experienced in previous interactions with the woman, her skillset was unique to a member of the Priory.

They exchanged pleasantries for the hour, talking mainly about Castor. Years ago, Isabella and Castor made an attempt of a relationship with one another, eventually ending it amicably when the two were stationed at different Priory bases in Tyria. As a result, she knew much of his past and troubles with the echoes from the Mists. There was little Isabella mentioned that Casil did not already know - his history with the Priory, his travels to Maguuma to recover his twin brother’s body from the Mordrem blighting pods, and his time in Elona. From these conversations, however, Casil would glean two new facts about Castor.

First, Castor had tried to deaden his connection to the Mists with a draught of Reynert’s making about a year after the fall of the Jungle dragon. It had proven quite successful, ensuring less distraction and almost entirely stopping whatever horrors had visited his dreams. However, without explanation, Castor had stopped taking the draught after a few months and refused any further discussion on the matter.

Second, Castor maintained a small collection of arms and armor of historical interest. His collect included oddities from his travels in tyria - old Krytan weapons retrieved from dig sites, the bizarre stone leyline weapons of the Mordrem, even a curious full suit of what appeared to be Forged armor had been shipped from Elona back to the Reach after the defeat of Balthazar.

The topic of conversation had turned to Castor’s latest ‘jaunt’ through the Mist when sudden commotion that interrupted them. The magenta field surrounding the two men seemed to flicker with a sound similar to cracking glass. It held for a moment before shattering into Aetheric shards, with Reynert being thrown through the failed glamor toward where the two women sat. Heated air rushed from the previously contained space, blowing against Isabella and Casil’s faces, and on the stone floor bits of flame played before dying out without their fuel.

Reynert rose, complete unfazed by the turn of events. “Ah, progress!,” he said, patting out a small flame kindling on his shoulder.

At the center of the glamor, Castor kneeled with dark wisps of shadow retreating from him. As he looked up, six points of eldritch purple light, arranged like three set of eyes that travelled up for from his own eyes to his forehead, dimmed. Whatever had happened, these features were a departure from Castor’s usual features.
“Your brother does not like his new companion, it would seem,” Reynert observed. Castor nodded with uncertainty before faltering, catching himself on the chair next to him.

Reynert turned to Casil, still keeping an eye on Castor as he did so.

“You best get him to one of the beds, let him rest. He should sleep without issue for now, if my hypothesis is correct. Don’t bother trying to travel back home, one of the spare quarters in the Hall should suffice. Meanwhile, I’ll look into this whole thing further.”

He did not wait for a response, leaving quickly toward the larger private library. It seemed he had a lead to go on.

MurmilloFallax
Member for 0 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LunaTalula22 on Fri May 10, 2019 2:40 am

No choice but to sit aside and wait, Casil remained mostly quiet and nodded while listening to Isabella. Sometimes, she'd prompt for a little more information when hearing something that was intriguing. Otherwise, the Vigil Sergeant let the other woman do most of the talking. Her thoughts were on the Revenant within that glamor bubble cast upon him by Reynert.

The very same bubble that suddenly crackled and burst. Casil lifted her arm, thankfully armored and avoiding any injury. Her gaze dropped to scan the floor, spying the flaming bits and stomping on them, even if they did go out on their own! Just in case, she helped them. Then, lifting her gaze, she brought it to Castor with a crease in her brow. She barely nodded in response to Reynert's instructions.

"Yes, some rest might be good for you, Castor. You've done quite a bit of walking, not to mention whatever it is he just did for you."

Casil walked over to take his arm and, if lead by Isabella, she'd follow with the Revenant in tow. Somewhere along the way, a messenger stopped them and Casil recognized him as one of her former trainees. They exchanged a salute and he held something out to her. A missive. "Sergeant, I've been ordered to ensure this is delivered to you directly."

Blinking in response, she reached out to accept the missive and nodded to the soldier. "Thank you. You are dismissed." He nodded and headed out. Before they'd arrived, she had informed her superiors of where she could be found if anything important came up. An emergency that may require her attention. Swallowing deeply, she looked at Castor. "I'll read it when we're in our room."

LunaTalula22
Member for 2 years
Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MurmilloFallax on Fri May 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Castor only nodded to Casil's response as Isabella led them to one of the empty rooms normally prepared for impromptu visits from high-ranking Priory members. After a few painful minutes of removing Castor's armor, he practically fell in to bed. Whatever Reynert had done, the Revenant was completely exhausted - it looks as though sleep would overtake him at any minute.

"Everything... alright?"

It was all he could muster in his half wakeful state as he motioned toward Casil. No doubt he was referring to the missive she held.

MurmilloFallax
Member for 0 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LunaTalula22 on Sun May 12, 2019 1:49 am

Once he was situated, Casil decided to remain standing and paced across the chambers to lean against a wall where she read through the message. No emotion flickered across her features as her almond gaze lifted to meet Castor's. "The Vigil has requested I return. They're giving me three days. There seems to be something happening. Something... in regards to this war we're in and they are need of drill sergeants to test the new soldiers for their readiness."

The Lady's tone seemed casual, as if this bit of news wouldn't ruin any of their upcoming plans. It very well might, depending on how the current situation with Castor lasted. She didn't very much like the idea of leaving him three days hence, but when called to war-- How could she refuse?

A sigh escaped and she tucked away the missive. "Let's not allow this to distract us. We should only focus on what Reynert is doing for you. Only way I'll be able to go with any peace of mind is to know what he has in mind."

LunaTalula22
Member for 2 years
Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MurmilloFallax on Tue May 21, 2019 2:12 am

If Castor had heard her response, he did not respond. After Reynert had caused the revenant’s outburst of mist energy, whatever plagued his dreams seemed to slip away with it - sleep overtook him soon after laying down.

A few short minutes later, Reynert slipped through the door, motioning for Casil to follow. The pair travelled back to his office, where a stack of books had already accumulated - apparently his chronomancer magic was at work again, as he had poured over multiple tomes in an impossibly short time. Mist demons… Nightfall… Abaddon… the tomes covered a familiar range of topics, all familiar somehow.

Reynert’s usually levity seemed weighed down slightly as he turned to Claire. He regarded her carefully for a moment, as if he were a doctor about to deliver bad news to a patient.

“I am sure you’d like an answer, so I’ll be direct. The Mist echo that Castor is hearing is probably a Margonite,” he said. The name would most likely conjure up memories of Casil’s last sortie into the Mists to retrieve her fiancé - while there, she and her allies had encountered a mist fractal, a repeating pocket of Tyria’s history. The fractal had conjured a pocket of Tyria’s history were a fallen god, Abaddon, had attempted to corrupt Tyria with his influence. His minions were the Margonites - his fallen worshippers.

“It’s not uncommon for Revenants to channel Mallyx, a Margonite of note, in combat. But Castor has never been able to channel the more common legends that other Revenants invoke, and I have a feeling this one is someone else. I suspect it has something to do with his mother’s bloodline from the Luxons of Canta… but I digress. I’m concerned about who this Margonite and why its echo in the Mists is reaching out to Castor. His brother’s echo is causing him much more trouble than he admits - I’m not sure how a new tenant is going to affect him.”

Reynert paused, thinking over his own words and giving Casil a chance to process and respond to this news.

MurmilloFallax
Member for 0 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!