Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters » What latest tech excites me? » RPG: Season of Giving 2020 (WINNERS ANNOUNCED!) » A question about 'hyperspace travel' and its use as a weapon » NaNoWriMo 2020 »

Players Wanted: Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D » mahou shoujo rp » Avolair: Academy For The Supernatural [NEW][OPEN] » Calling for adventurers to explore Xamoyos »

Continuing RP After GMs Drop off!

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Continue Rp After the GM Drops off. Appropriate?

Yes
47%
No
13%
I don't know
No votes
As a GM, I say yes
33%
As a GM, I say no
7%

Total votes : 15

Continuing RP After GMs Drop off!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Thu May 28, 2020 4:46 pm

For a while now, I have been trying to bring attention to the multiple Indi-Universes (non-Multiverses) in which the GM disappears entirely either before it starts or during. This is a MASSIVE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW. As I have stated previously, 20 Indi-Universes (that are not my own). I dropped out of one of my own accord, and I am active in at least three and three just haven't started because of a lack of general interest. The rest are suffering from the disappearance of GMs. Let's say that brings me to about 14 RPs. Let's say that maybe 5 of them have NEVER started, so it's whatever. No big deal. That leaves about 9 or ten RPs that have started and are not left blowing in the wind because of GMs leaving. And this was BEFORE COVID19, so I really don't want to hear that excuse. The truth is that RPG is lacking GMs that stick around. They just come, swoop in and start something they won't finish for whatever reason. The reason doesn't matter.

The question is: In an RP Universe in which all characters are made and approved, is it appropriate to continue without them? Because no matter what the reason is for leaving, people put their hard work into their characters and have started RPing. This means that we acknowledge that we can't approve new characters or what have you. That's fine.

I'm in the camp that thinks that people should be able to continue without the GM. I have already remade one Universe in which the Gm and their partner left, and it's just a lot of work for everyone.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Re: Continuing RP After GMs Drop off!

Tips: 2.25 INK Postby ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ on Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 pm

To me the answer depends on the circumstances of the departure and the GM themselves. In the same way that the writing, edited pictures (art theft notwithstanding), codes, etc of our characters belong to the players, the content of an RP belongs to the original GM. If an RP of mine died off due to inactivity and I found out somebody copy and pasted everything to restart their own version without asking I would feel like it was playgarized from me, even if that wasn't their intention. If they just continued posting in the same universe I created however, I don't see an issue with that as long as they aren't involving my character (s) specifically.

In the best case scenario, if an RP can't start or continue, the GM would let the players know that and either close it or pass it off to another person. At least, that's what I would do if I was the sole owner. The thing is, if everyone acted this way there wouldn't be these types of situations in the first place!

With the ambiguity of a GM dropping off the face of the website I feel like the most respectful thing you can do is first check their rules or personal section to see if they have any "do not steal/repost" types of statements. If they do, then I would respect their wishes and leave it be.

If they haven't said anything and you can't reach out to them, then I think the best way to restart is taking the idea of the previous version, but creating your own content (graphics, plot and character synopsis, etc) so that you preserve the spirit of the old RP while still having something that is mostly distinct. And of course, adding a link to the old RP in the sources section.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 2.25 INK in return for their work.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Member for 7 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy World Builder Builder Inspiration Giver

Re: Continuing RP After GMs Drop off!

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:49 pm

As a long time GM, I have to say I don't agree with the idea that continuing without the GM is okay.

Even in Fandom RP's, the GM is the one who puts the experience together with the intention of sharing it with others. If they drop out, there's usually a reason for it. It's not always a good reason. But there's a reason.

And in the case of RP's which the GM is the original author of the idea, that story and plot belong to them. Not you. And continuing it without them is akin to stealing in my eyes. You are taking an idea that doesn't belong to you and running away with it.

If a GM creates an RP and leaves, I always leave as well. As one GM to another I consider it a symbol of respect for their creation and a matter of personal integrity not to violate something they brought to the table.

Having said that, I agree with ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ that if the idea was one you really wanted to participate in that it's okay to take inspiration from the core idea, but make your own clear changes in plot and story and characters to generate a new experience. One that's more unique to your own voice as a GM and content creator.
Kumori Ryuu

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Beta Tester World Builder Lifegiver Arc Warden Person of Interest

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!