Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library »

Players Wanted: Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) »

Creating a good character

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Creating a good character

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I didn't see this listed here, though I didn't search for it but I feel it is a very important topic. I am by no means an expert on character creation but I feel I am pretty good at knowing what separates a good character from a bad one. I wanted to start this here for those who need help or want to give help. I can help with anything from a character name, to even drawing you a character drawing(though this takes time. I am offering this service for free so keep that in mind), I can also help with a few tips and tricks to help make your character more realistic. There are three types of characters I often see one is a Mary Jane (forgot the name for the male counterpart) character, one is godmodding, and one is underdeveloped.
Ok underdeveloped and a Mary Jane character can be pretty much the same thing but I feel an underdeveloped character is easier to fix than a Mary Jane. Basically a Mary Jane is a common character type. She is beautiful, kind, and good at everything. This also applies to strong, handsome, athletic guys too. Basically a person with no faults and very little personality.

While underdeveloped is similar it really means that you could have an interesting start like- A normal average guy who is good at math and a little shy. This type has a plus and a minus but there is so much about the character that we don't know. Each small part of the character has an impact and the more you know about your character the easier it will be to play that character in a realistic and believable way. The better your character, the more others will appreciate your rping skills and want to rp with you again.

The last group is very similar to a mary Jane type character but so ridiculously overpowered and perfect that they overwhelm everyone and anything in the rp. You have to keep abilities and such in check and not pop in with a new awesome ability whenever your character is threatened. Make a detailed character and list of abilities that are well rounded and fit with the rp and stick with it.

Another great tool I found recently came from the rpg "Seventh Sea". I edited it a bit but basically it was a list of twenty questions you could ask to figure out who your character is.
Here they are
1-Where is your character from? Country, city/town/rural
2- How would you physically describe your character? Include gender, height, weight, eye color, hair color body type other traits.
3-Does you character have any recurring mannerisms? Namely habits, tics, affectations of speech.
4-What is your characters Main motivation? The reason they do what they do. Their goal in life.
5-What is their greatest strength? Greatest weakness?
6-What is their most and least favorite thing?
7-What is their psychology? Personality, way of thinking.
8-What is their greatest Fear?
9-What is their greatest love? What do they want people to say about them after they die? If they lived forever what would they spend their time doing?
10-What is their opinion about their country or place of origin?
11- What are their prejudices?
12-Loyalty?
13-Are they in love? Married? Betrothed?
14-What is the hero's family like? Who are they and what do they do?
15-How would the Hero's parents describe them? Answer for both mother then father. If one or both is dead answer in the voice of the main caregiver or someone who knows them well.
16-Does you hero follow the code of chivalry? Their word is their bond, they rescue damsels in distress, help the weak...
17-How religious is your Hero? What "God" or religion do they follow?
18-Are they a member of a guild, club, or secret society?
19-What does your hero think of magic?
20- If you could, what advice would you give you

If anyone has anything to add or would like help with their character I would love to help. I hope others found these questions and tips as helpful as I did.
Worlds without end visualised, sketched, and written. From my mind and imagination to yours.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Creating a good character

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Hello, gaiadarkstar!

First off, props for being proactive and creating this thread. I'm going to move it on over to the RPAcademy, though, because it really belongs there. Also, small note, I think you mean Mary Sue (her male counterpart is often but not always called Gary Stu).

-Kurokiku
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 pm

I see, that makes sense. Thanks for fixing that. I wasn't totally sure the best place to put it. I hope people are able to find this. I really want to be able to help people make their characters better.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nightshade2012 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:41 pm

On the whole Mary Sue front...

I like to maake characters GURPS style...

Selecting advantages and disadvantages to balance eachother out...

For example...

Confident +
Bad-Tempered -

And so on.

Nightshade2012
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 am

That sounds like a good strategy. I haven't had the chance to try GURPS yet. Sounds interesting.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Relleos on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:49 pm

As a new comer to this site i have found this to be very helpful. thank you so much for putting it up

Relleos
Member for 5 years
Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!