Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

Dark Fantasy; Small Group

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Dark Fantasy; Small Group

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Tue May 22, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm looking to do a dark fantasy with a small group of approximately five, though of course I can always bend if you have superb character and class.

So, first and foremost I'm really tiring of these plots where there's a great evil plaguing the world and you need to save everyone. Lets be sensible here: There's a reason that tyrant is in power and it probably isn't because a group of five can crush an army and murder him. No, what I propose is that we play a group of outlaws, or something akin, who are trying to make a living in the world rather than change it for the better. Now we don't need to be good guys being hunted, or even horrendous criminals. I've a couple ideas for the plot, one of the most flushed out revolving around the banishment of magic in the kingdom because the above mentioned evil tyrant isn't so stupid as to not fear anything. This is ample opportunity to develop a lawful paladin if you so desire, while still enabling the rest of us to build up that bandit we all love and cherish deep down. This isn't to say I'm not open to other ideas though. My goal isn't a specific roleplay I have in mind, it's to have an enjoyable roleplay.

So, what if you don't like magic(assuming that is the plot used)? Well that brings me to my second desire from this roleplay. I've seen it happen where people try and build up a history or story between two characters and it never does more than putter out in most cases to them essentially being estranged siblings. I'd actually like to see a solid backstory established, even if that is naive of me to hope for. But what if we use another kind of plot? Don't give a damn, backstory. Why though? Because it flushes things out. No one starts a great novel with a character that doesn't have any history to them, or relationships already cast in their life, why should a roleplay be any different.

If you're still interested feel free to post.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Leli
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Dark Fantasy; Small Group

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Celedia on Tue May 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Oddly enough, this seems to be the type of adventure that I have been craving lately. With a query to gather more details about what you have in mind. :D

Will there be some underlying story/goal to the RP or are you going to run it as more of a character development/sandbox sort of roleplay? I'm all about creating amazing characters with entertaining backstories and definitely want a lot of interaction but I also crave an adventure of some sort that hasn't been done before. Like you said, I don't want to save the country or be a hero but even if it's something mundane so that I can be goal-oriented, I would enjoy it more. I tend to get ADD with the RPs that are based solely on conversations and what not. I crave action in every sense of the word and would like to be in a roleplay where some fighting actually takes place.
"...you know we've fuckin' broken down as a society when people just explode in forests." ~Gasmask in The Unexplainable.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Celedia
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CrazyIrish on Wed May 23, 2012 1:44 pm

Aye, the anti-hero type of character has always been a favorite of mine to play. I'd be interested :)

CrazyIrish
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Wed May 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Celedia; It really depends on what kind of characters come out of the woodwork. If everyone makes a character that agrees with the tyrants plan, then of course not much is going to happen. I've a couple of ideas, but the simplest underlying plot I can think of is that somehow your character, or the area your character is in has come under suspicion, and the army isn't particularly kind in their investigations. There'll certainly be fighting, probably a couple chases, so on and so forth. But aside from that the plot will develop based on character interactions as you would expect it to in reality, because of course if you do nothing, why would anything come of it?

CrazyIrish; good to know. Any questons or suggestions?

Leli
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CrazyIrish on Wed May 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Leli; no real questions or suggestions as of yet; I actually usually just roll with the punches so to speak, responding to the world and it's creator. But I'll gladly let you know of any concerns or questions I may have later :)

CrazyIrish
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby silverclawedmouse on Wed May 23, 2012 4:31 pm

This sounds good, especially the detailed backstory.

silverclawedmouse
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Polka on Thu May 30, 2013 4:47 pm

I really love well thought out RP's... especially fantasy ones
I AM VERY INTERESTED!!!

I was curious however about what kind of fantasy world we live in

Is it along the lines of LOTR.. mixed races elves, humans and dwarves
Or Game of thrones... all human the exceptional magic used

Or maybe just normal human characters who can use weapons :)?
Either way I would still love to be your right hand woman !!!!

Polka
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WendyDarling on Thu May 30, 2013 5:15 pm

I'd also love to try out an anti-hero. Chaotic neutral is great fun for me. Are you saying you want good backstories for each character, or that you want all the characters to be connected with a good backstory?
"Wizards didn't kill ordinary people because a) they seldom noticed them and b) it wasn't considered sporting and c) besides, who'd do all the cooking and growing food and things. "

WendyDarling
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby silverclawedmouse on Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 pm

You do realize you necro'd a year old thread, right?

silverclawedmouse
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Polka on Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 pm

I didn't even realise.... I wonder why is appeared in new topics on the top of the list though....

Polka
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby silverclawedmouse on Thu May 30, 2013 5:39 pm

The site has been having a lot of issues, so its probably just a glitch in the system. That being said... Im sad this RP didnt happen

silverclawedmouse
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WendyDarling on Thu May 30, 2013 5:42 pm

Me too. Would have been great, and now I am very sad. Anyone else want to pick this up and GM?

WendyDarling
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Polka on Thu May 30, 2013 5:43 pm

I wouldn't mind picking it up. :)
But I would prefer not to be GM I am not that great at it

Polka
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamadecoy on Thu May 30, 2013 5:46 pm

I'd be interested in the general plot of this! However, I'm not up for GMing just yet.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

iamadecoy
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:11 am

Well, hello there. It's been a while since I actually rped on this site and was just meandering around and saw this. It has a lot of possibilities. I don't think I could gm but perhaps the originator of the idea might still want to unless they don't come to the site anymore.

Some possible goals and story-lines. Instead of good fighting evil as someone said, that is kind of tired and overdone. And since this is a group of antiheros then there conflicts and goals would be very different. Goals like battling a rival gang for example, or planning a heist on a wealthy noble, or even something as simple as treasure hunting. Even perhaps a competition or something. A lot of different ways to go with anti heroes.

So if someone does start this type of rp count me in.
Worlds without end visualised, sketched, and written. From my mind and imagination to yours.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Completely forgot I had this thread up. Must have been while servers were giving me issues. If the others that posted here, or any other people are interested I would be willing to run with the idea. It died at the time due to technical difficulties rather than willingness.

Leli
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby silverclawedmouse on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:33 pm

I am still interested and since its summer I should have time to take part.

silverclawedmouse
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FateWhisperer on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:18 am

I think I'm interested! I'd love to be the anti hero for once. It would be something fresh from the usual.

FateWhisperer
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Polka on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:25 pm

I am still interested :) x

Polka
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!