Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas » Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? »

Players Wanted: OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner »

Dieselpunk Devolution

Dieselpunk Devolution

a part of “Dieselpunk Devolution”, a fictional universe by Anno Domini.

An early temporal development greets 20th century Earth with a wealth of advanced aircraft, fast cars, intelligent robots, and surprisingly peace. But what wars aren't fought for freedom are soon waged for wealth.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Dieselpunk Devolution”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Dieselpunk Devolution

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:33 am

This is the primary thread for out-of-character discussion. Please keep all general OOC in this thread and use the other threads for their respective topics. This place is free game though!
Last edited by Anno Domini on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anagnorisis for Antagonists!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Dieselpunk Devolution

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:38 am

Sweet, its up. You want I should make a character sheet now? Or should I wait until the OOC is edited to contain all of the background info for the world?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:48 am

Wait just a bit before you do. I actually haven't even posted my own character sheet yet, only the example character. Feel free to fill out the obvious bits of your sheet right now, but don't submit anything until the OOC topics are all up.

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:31 am

Alright, cool. Read all the OOC topics, working on a character sheet now. Basing him somewhat (at least stealing the name of) a real gangster from the prohibition era. Quick question, would prohibition still have happened in this alternate history, and caused the rise of organized crime? Because I'm thinking I'm going to have my character be more based in the criminal underworld, than the PMC's. He might work as a PMC agent at the time of the RP, but he'd have his roots in organized crime, and be better known as a hitman than the PMC freelance agent he currently works as.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Queen of Ice on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Whew that was quite a bit of readin, haha. Very nice job, I love how well thought out this is.

I had a question about the technology and stuff though: are there specific models that we should be referring to or a list of names of products the companies produce, or are we to come up with our own model names, types, numbers, etc.?
<3

Queen of Ice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Buddywazzizname on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Well, this looks interesting.

I've only one question though; for the purposes of this RP, is Russia still ruled by the Tsars or was the diminished World War enough to incite the revolution anyway?

Buddywazzizname
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:53 pm

@Gabe, because of the loss in supreme government rule, Prohibition laws wouldn't have been as strong as they were, namely because I doubt PMC forces would want to enforce additional laws to control substance distribution on top of everything. BUT, and this is just a suggestion, a number of laws were enacted to control the use of robots, so your character could be a gangster in that respect, perhaps trading synthetic body parts and the like. It's an idea, but I'm basically saying that their would indeed be a rise in organized crime in this setting, just likely for different reasons. Also, your character doesn't have to be in a PMC at all if you don't want him to, they're just a backdrop for the conflict and main struggle. Feel free to do your hitman.

@Queen, you come up with your own models and products. I'm a big fan of original designs and players getting to create their own tech. When you create a model that is approved, it will be added to the list for other players to refer to or use in case they like your design. The only category in which this isn't so much allowed is firearms, but even then mods are creatable, so the freedom's in your hands really.

@Buddy, I don't know enough about Russian history to give an in depth explanation as to how they got were they are in the roleplay, but we can assume that they did revolutionize and that's what created the socialized state they're in now. Expect Soviet Russia.

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Queen of Ice on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:23 pm

Oh I see.

So basically I would submit a design to you beforehand and await your approval, right? What all should that include (pictures, dates, production info, creator, etc.)? If it's not too much to ask, do you think I could perhaps get a skeleton or example of the info needed?

Queen of Ice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:14 pm

The example character, "Benny" actually has a model of motorcycle created right there on the biography. You don't need to submit models or designs before hand, but when you submit your character, your vehicle or robot will be approved with the rest of the character. It basically just means that if you make a character that's really fair and balanced on everything else, but then the vehicle is a giant quadrupedal nuclear tank that shoots chainsaws and is invincible, the character's going to be rejected altogether until the vehicle is changed. But if you create a character that is approved, and there is a vehicle model you've created on the biography, I'll add the model to the list and link it to your description so people can see the description.

I haven't made such a list yet, but this is just an easy way to manage and add player submitted ideas. If the inflow of crazy awesome creations becomes so complicated and huge that it requires a more in depth system of categorization with bios and such... Then I'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Queen of Ice on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Oh cool. Alright, so I'll get working on that.

Queen of Ice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:18 am

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's character submissions soon.

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Katryn on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:26 pm

I am extremely interested and very likely to join up! However, I'm wondering how women's apparel might or might not differ from the original 1930's. Have you given any thought to this? And has there been any kind of equality gained for women just yet? Because I would very much like to make a female character who is active in all of the goings on.

Katryn
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:04 pm

I have indeed put thought into it. Equality and civil rights are one of the touchy items about creating a great, historically loyal roleplay, and it would be tragic to not allow a certain gender or race to participate to the fullest extent in a story. Here's my excuse to make it easy ^_^

When capitalism hit off and left businesses booming, it became less practical for racial and sexual bigotry in the work place. Most corporations would hire anyone they could, with their main interest in expansion. PMCs, free from the regulations and standards of a traditional military, also found strength in numbers by employing not only men who were willing to fight, but women as well. When governments privatized, the majority of developments in racial equality that happened over the next 30 years in our time-line happened instantaneously. The intellectual revolution inspired a social reform that put women in seats of power they'd never previously held, and tore down the walls that separated races of people for generations.

I hope that helps ^_^

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Broken Romeo on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:58 am

You've caught my attention Mr. Domini.

I hope you don't mind me taking the role of a concerned citizen in the Aushaven Militia.

But before I whip up a profile, would you mind going into detail about the homeland of my soon to be countrymen? For the sake of setting and accuracy, I didn't want to toss in another random gunslinger into the fray.

Broken Romeo
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:34 am

You'd be perfectly fine by me in making an Aushaven Militia member. I'll provide a bit of detail on the spot, but any further actual material on Armenia will be just as valuable.

Aushaven is a fictional Armenian city that boomed into a metropolis after WWI. In our history, Armenia received American support during the war when there was an increasing amount of prejudice and intolerance in the region. In Dieselpunk Devolution's history, Aushaven was the site of this American aid and easily capable of recouping after the alleviated version of the war that occurred. The city itself became the site of PMC conflict because it was a major junction of transport between Western Europe, Russian, and East Asia, all of which possessed a major corporation that would each benefit from dominating the city and its railways. The culture in the area is a social hybrid of American and Armenian people, resulting from the prolonged American occupation during the last war. The city is filled will tall and expansive buildings, railways, tight passages and streets, and an underground network that traverses the downtown area. There are cathedrals and industrial parks, but a great number of structures are dilapidated or have otherwise been defaced since PMC presence in the area. The militia themselves are the common people of the city and surrounding area who decided to take up arms over simply being a checkpoint for the corporations. They're unorganized and usually outgunned, but strength lies in fighting for justice and not just money.

Beyond that much, you can essentially have whatever basis for the militia and its people you want. I designed each of the corporations and PMCs to fill a specific role, yet still be vague enough for players to gear them however they see fit. I hope that gives you some insight before posting your character.

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Broken Romeo on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Alright, thanks for the info.

I also took the liberty of checking the wiki Page of Armenia, and found a bit of the information digging helpful. Give me till tomorrow to finish the character, while I add bit by bit to his sheet.

You'll have to forgive the delay but right now I'm looking at weapons of the Great War. - If can't tell by now, I'm not quite familiar with the antiques of WW1 just yet.

Broken Romeo
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:55 pm

That's fine by me. The weapons I chose for my character were ones I was already fond of and, by luck, were era-appropriate. If you need any help in finding a specific one to fit your character's needs just tell me.

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Just an interest check- is anyone still currently designing a character for this?

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axellae on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:53 pm

I just stumbled upon this and found it really interesting. I can probably get a character to you by, Sunday maybe?

Axellae
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Anno Domini on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:45 am

You're welcome to, but there seems to have been a complete halt in interest towards this roleplay. All but two of the people who said they'd create a character for this haven't... If you want to go ahead and create one though, I might revive this as a fresh new one and see if more people might actually join this time. If that does happen, I'll definitely make sure to PM you.

Anno Domini
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!