Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat β€” the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy »

Players Wanted: Chat Plays 5E Stream Seeks Players, Little to No Commitment » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life Ω©( Β΄ο½₯шο½₯)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov »

I Don't Need Luck; I Need Opportunities [OOC&Sign-Up]

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

I Don't Need Luck; I Need Opportunities [OOC&Sign-Up]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cure on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:37 pm

"I don't need luck; I need opportunities."

There's a group of six kids who grew up in the city. They were raised together since elementary school and it was never easy for them. As children they were brought up to believe that things aren't given to you; You have to go out and get them yourself. It's safe to say that they gave up on luck long before they gave up on the "Tooth Fairy". Some of them gave up completely.

Now they still live in the same neighborhood; they still live in the bustling city. But they aren't children anymore, in fact it's their last year of high school and they need to make ends meet. Things aren't working for most of them whether it be with school, friends, jobs, or family. Now is their only chance and "luck" is not an option.

At least for most of them.

Storyline

The story centers around a group of six kids around the ages of 16-18 years old that meet at a local coffee shop just about everyday afterschool. They come from a similar background but they all have different story. Growing up, they gave up on luck. Now that they are almost leaving high school, they need to get their life together. Most are looking for opportunity; waiting just isn't enough. The others? Well they've resorted into something a little different.

Hope* is the happy-go-lucky (no pun intended) one of the group. Things can bring her down, but not for long. Back at home, though, is another story. Hope* was recently attacked and raped not too long ago and is going through the stress of being a rape victim. After her attack she's changed somewhat. She doesn't believe in luck, but for some reason she still has some sort of belief in it. Her friends know about it, but not her controlling parents that expect only the best out of their little girl. Especially after her older sister went off and took the wrong road. She's their only hope. Literally.

Jason* is the one in the group that essentially "gave up". Not too long ago he got himself into drugs and has yet tried to stop. He doesn't have anytime for that thing called "luck". He doesn't need think he needs luck. But he also doesn't want an opportunity. Back at home he lives with an uncaring father and two young siblings while his mom stays in the hospital due to a fatal illness. He believes that the money from the drugs could help out a bit. Hope* is the one that tries to help him through it, and along the road he begins to have feelings for her.

Emilie* struggles with abuse back at home. Her mother is verbally abusive while her father is physically abusive. The group has a hunch about her home life, but she's kept it well hidden for some time and plans to keep it that way. There's another secret that nobody else knows about. Her grades are starting to slip and she needs to find an internship that can maybe, just maybe, help her get out of that neighborhood. Asides the stress back home, Emilie* is also having confusing thoughts about who she really is. She was raised in a strict Catholic family and attends church every Sunday. On the inside, she secretly hates herself. Knowing she could never go to her parents, especially since they're homophobic and also strictly Catholic, she decides to stay quiet. But for how long?

Carlos* has had a recent death in the family. Two weeks ago he attended his twin brothers funeral and is still trying to cope with the pain. With the stress of his loss, he's working hard for a scholarship. His family is far too poor to afford college, so this is his only way out. He's ready to start fresh, but it's difficult. To make matters even worst, his parents have been having terrible arguments after the death of one of their sons. He knows a divorce is on the way, but maybe he can save their marriage. The only way he can think of is with that scholarship and he isn't waiting for "luck" to help him get there.

Samantha* struggles with depression. As a child she was usually happy, but she is now struggling with her emotions. She knows her father and stepmother can't afford any medication, especially since they both lost their jobs. Samantha* has a job at a local grocery store to help with income, but that can be stressful also. Unfortunately Samantha* has resulted in cutting and is managing to keep it a secret. She once believed that her now exboyfriend was the only reason for her to live, but they have since broken up. Life seems to be getting worse and there's definitely no such thing as luck.

Anthony* is also looking for a way out. He's got a passion for music, especially guitar which seems to be his calling. After searching and searching for gigs that never seem to help him with his music career, a little miracle wouldn't happen to hurt. He hasn't completely relied on luck, though, which would probably be a last resort. Music is his only chance to make it out and he needs to go far. Back at home he's trying to care for his pregnant mother while worrying about being a father in seven months as well.

Cristiano* is no pyromaniac. He lost his famliy to a fire when he was eight years old. He was sent to an orphanage and let's just say the Hard Knock Life wasn't exactly for him; so he ran away where he encountered a man that goes by the name Martin. Martin wasn't the greatest guardian. He was more concerned with his drugs than young Cristiano. After a while, money started to get tight so Cristiano did what he had to do to get a profit coming in, and not all of it was legal. He eventually owed Martin money and he had to pay it all back. Now he has to try to get his life together because Martin kicked him out after he slept with his fiance.

*= Names can be changed

Rules
-RPG Rules
-No one liners, please make an effort to write a few good paragraphs
-Have fun :)
-Romance is definitely allowed
-PM me if you have suggestions
-I'll reserve for 24 hours.

Roles:
Hope*[Cure]
Emilie*[Cinderstella]
Samantha*[xxLilly]
Jason*[{sleepy head}]
Carlos*[reserved for Tumbleweed]
Anthony* [lovechanningforever]
Cristiano*[citylights]

Code: Select all
Character Sheet:
[center][b][size=150] *Full Name Here [/size] [/b][/center]
[right][img] Realistic image here, please [/img][/right]
[size=85][b]Name:[/b]
[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Nickname:[/b] If they have a nickname
[b]Age:[/b] [16-18]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b] Describe your character in a little bit more detail
[b]History/Biography:[/b] Get creative!
[b]Secrets[/b] If they don't have any, that's cool
[b]Fun Facts[/b][/size]
Last edited by Cure on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Cure
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: I Don't Need Luck; I Need Opportunities [OOC&Sign-Up]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cure on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Hope Jainie Carlisle

Name: Hope Jainie Carlisle
Role: Hope
Personality: Hope is usually cheerful and optimistic with a smile on her face. It's always been that way, even during the roughest times of her childhood. She was raised by parents who wanted things more than she did, so now she has a determined attitude. There have been times when her life became ovebearing but that, in her mind, always had a positive effect because she came out a better person. Now that she's a senior and it's almost time to leave high school, she knows she has to get her life together. After her rape she's been quieter and shy, especially around guys. It isn't uncommon to catch her in a daze or to catch her looking completely alert. Hope has become sensitive to touch and doesn't like loud noises or yelling. Keeping it a secret from her parents, but not her friend, troubles her too. Ever since her sister, Faith, disappointed her parents, she knows she has to keep her never-give-up mentality so her parents will be proud.
Appearance: Hope has creamy mocha skin; her mother still refers to it as "soft as a baby's bottom". She gets her dark curly hair from her grandmother, and though she likes her hair better when it's straight, she usually keeps it natural the way it is because her parents don't believe in wasting electricity in "unnecessary ways". Hope always has glossy pink lips, it's probably the closest thing to makeup her parents will let her wear--and it's clear coat. She has hazel eyes just like her father and full-yet-hollow cheekbones like her mother. She usually wears bows or flowers in her hair as accessories, and simple blouses are her everyday wear.
History/Biography: Hope was raised as the youngest in a household of four: her controlling parents, and her older sister Faith. Her parents were often upset about stories where parents gave up on their children and/or let them get out of hand. Before they had Faith and Hope they vowed that they would be the best parents on the street and their kids would be the best there is. As a child, her and her sister could never play as much or as long as the other kids. Many thought that the kids would grow up to be bitter from their parents' constant control, but they were only half right. Hope was pretty much always in a good mood. She respected and loved her parents. Visting her grandmother was what she enjoyed the most. Sometimes she would sleepover her grandmothers house for days in a row until her parents had to drag her home. Faith didn't turn out too well. She let her grades slip and turned into a bad kid. Eventually she started to hang with the wrong crowd and when she turned 18 she was gone. The only time she hears from Faith is when she's asking her parents for their money, or when she needs a place to sleep.
Secrets
-She's pretty sure her rapist was her exboyfriend, but didn't mention that to her friends
-Believes she can never trust a guy again
Fun Facts
-Lavender
-Nail Polish
-Math
-Visiting her grandmother
-Reading

Dislikes:
-Loud noises/Yelling
-Touching
-Men
-Disappointing her parents
-Letting a friend down
Last edited by Cure on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Cure
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cinderstella on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Pleeeease reserve me Emilie?? :)
Follow my twitter. <3

also, check out my youtube stuff! music & more ;) http://www.youtube.com/user/destinyendearing

Cinderstella
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cinderstella on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:50 pm

Emilie-Grace Chance

Name: Emilie Chance

Role: Emilie

Nickname: Em, Emmy, Emmy-Grace

Personality: Em was shy from the moment she could walk and talk. She was always extremely clingy to her parents, and didn't allow many people to get close to her. That pattern continued as she grew older, only having a few good friends whom she trusted. Trust always seemed to be the issue; how did she know they weren't going to hurt her? Emilie, though quiet, has always had a rather strong will when it comes to those outside of her family. Though she isn't one to pick a fight or make a scene, she isn't typically prone to getting into trouble, and that's not just because of her Catholic upbringing. She has had to learn over the years what was right and wrong, even despite the fact her parents were horrible examples of that. She knows how to have fun in her own way, and isn't the kind of girl you'd see at wild parties; she's more likely to prefer hanging out at someone's house (never her own) and watching movies or just chatting. But don't let her soft, gentle persona fool you; inside, there is a fiery, passionate girl waiting to be let out.

Appearance: Emilie is a girl of average height, reaching about five feet and seven inches, with a slim figure and curves that aren't to brag about. Her hair is a not-so-rare brunette color, and has very little volume or body, cut simply. She has a very innocent look about her, with her fair skin, wide chocolate brown eyes, and pursed lips. One might describe her as a natural beauty, mostly due to the fact that she is one of the only girls in town that doesn't cake on the makeup or dress to attract the attention of boys. Typically, the only makeup she wears is concealer to cover up any evidence of her father's abusive tendencies. Maybe one day she'll wear it because she wants to, not because she has to.

History/Biography: Things were good during Emmy-Grace's younger years. When she was born, her parents were thrilled to be parents, and they loved her more than words could say. She was their first, and only child, and it seemed that the rest of their lives together would be filled with bliss. But their lives began to change around the time that Emilie was four or five. Her father was caught cheating on her mother, and this caused a rift in their marriage. Though the idea of divorce was out of the question mostly due to the fact that they were rather religious and didn't want people to think badly of them, they didn't act the same after the incident. Emilie's mother and father became less loving, and more loathing, blaming their daughter for stress and other things going wrong in their own personal lives. When Em was in kindergarten, her father hit her for the first time; it was over something small, like her forgetting to put away the milk one morning. The pattern of abuse continued and he eventually left bigger marks. All this time, her mother was trying to ignore things by burying herself in her work, and spending as little time as possible around her husband as she could. She became obsessed with Em's future, and always came down on her for little things, calling her names, putting her down and being verbally abusive. Em grew more timid toward the two, and her fear turned into hatred. Though she longed to love them and be loved, she also wished to be rid of them. If only people could see past the fake smiles and see what happens behind closed doors.

Secrets -

Fun Facts One of Em's hobbies is drawing. She'll spend hours doodling, or even painting, and her room is filled with artwork. She also has a desire to become a surgeon, her steady hands being a perk.

done.
Last edited by Cinderstella on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Cinderstella
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cure on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:04 am

Consider it reserved :) Glad you're joining

Cure
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cure on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:50 am

bump?

Cure
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby {sleepyhead} on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:36 pm

Can I reserve the role of Jason?
sleepyhead .

{sleepyhead}
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cure on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Of course you can :)

Cure
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby {sleepyhead} on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:42 pm

thank you :D I'll whip a CS ASAP!

{sleepyhead}
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cure on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Haha, all right :) Take your time

Cure
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby {sleepyhead} on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Oh I will. *creepy music* ;}

{sleepyhead}
Member for 10 years

Can I have Anthony's character?

lovechanningforever
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Anthony Litton

Name: Anthony Litton
Role: Anthony, the soon to be big brother and father
Nickname:Tony
Personality: Music is pretty much his life. It's the only thing that keeps him sane. Anthony or Tony as his friends fondly calls him, is a music prodigy. He can whip a song in a matter of minutes but prefer to keep it as a secret. He thought people would rather hear a common or popular song rather than his own. He firmly believes he won't make the cut to becoming a music discovery and is contented in making small money out of gigs. So what he does is he grounded his self to where his family and friends are.
Tony can basically go with the flow and attract the craziest girls but is only in love with one girl. And now they are expecting a not-so-expected surprise. A baby.
Appearance: Brown eyes and brown hair makes him look like any boy next door. Always with a guitar on hand, Tony pretty much looks like his mom. His smile can radiate any bad day but has been frowning a lot lately.
History/Biography: Living with his mom, he's father died as a local fireman. Though they are getting a few amount from the government, Tony believes it isn't enough especially now that he's mom is having a risky and difficult pregnancy. And what's worse is that he's girlfriend's about to pop as well.
Secrets Stage fright if he plays his own songs.
Fun Facts His guitar is named Blaze, nerdy I know.

lovechanningforever
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cure on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Accepted, Channing :)

Cure
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cure on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Just so everybody knows, the role for Samantha is now open :)

Cure
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cinderstella on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:24 pm

If people need to double, I could possibly take on Carlos.

Cinderstella
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby {sleepyhead} on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:41 am

.:broken trees bear strange fruit.:
Jason Micah Robins

Name: Jason
Nickname: Jase or Jay
Personality:
-constant laid back, lazy attitude that took years to perfect.
-usually lets the other person do all of the talking because he feels it's too much work
-on a bad day, his body is on edge and shaking from hidden chills because the time between a new fix has been too long.
Appearance:
Jason stands tall at 5 foot 9, but a bad habit of slouching takes a few inches off his height. On a good day, his scruffy mop of black hair morphs itself into a barley passable mohawk. The numerous tattoos decorating long, skinny pale arms were acquired during a long black out. Usually you can find him wearing clothing that has a rip or questionable stain in plain view. An aura of indifferent attitude constantly hangs around him.
History/Biography:
Sometimes I wonder, who did I piss off to get such a raw deal. In the beginning, everything in my world seemed at peace; mom was healthy, Ana and Luke annoyed the hell out of me, and dad-well he cared.

That was the last journal entry made by Jason before his life turned south. Dealing with everyday problems problem became impossible to get through sober. At first, it was just a little taste of vodka to spice up the orange juice every other morning. The hazy blanket around his brain became an everyday thing and it felt great. Numb to the world, dead to the family. But everything good must come to an end. His mother grew worse with each passing day and it was hard on everyone, especially his father. He wasn't sure how to handle it and his sadness morphed into anger; misdirected anger that was taken out on the closest person. With enough sense, Jason stayed away from the house longer and later. He's still not sure what Ana and Luke did. With nowhere to go, he found himself lying back on the grass in Westly Park. This place is really different at night, with the moon shining bright and shady people slinking around in the shadows.
The drugs came naturally and for some reason, Jason adapted quickly to the change. His body burned with pleasure at the thought of laying an LSD soaked blotter on his tongue and letting it sit there forever. Getting the money was the easy part; hiding it from his family was were it got difficult. Each day was a challenge based on finding new ways to hide a growing addiction. Bloodshot eyes, bad trips, and hallucinations became close friends to his tired mind. Providing companionship at the lowest times. Rehab was used a threat from his father and tears were used as guilt trips from his siblings. Years went by before he met her. Hope. An amazing girl with an ironic name. Jason sees her a possible way out of this life, but not he doesn't want to take the opportunity. Just like his father always tells him, Opportunities are only for people, not pathetic losers.

Secrets
Spiders provide a sense of joy that rivals an artificial high.
Fun Facts
His eyesight as a kid was considered to be perfect. Jason can hardly remember exactly what happened, but after a bad trip on an experimental batch of LSD, he woke up in a hospital bed with his legs and wrists bound. The doctors told him how he was brought in by a good samaritan who found him trying to claws his own eyes out.

:.life can be funny sometimes.:

{sleepyhead}
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cure on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:57 am

Accepted sleepyhead :)

And Cinderstella, if we do need a Carlos you can go ahead and try for him. I'll let you know.

Cure
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xxLilly on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:24 am

I'll go ahead and try for Samantha :) Expect a sheet a little later today.
β™₯ "The scars of your love, remind me of us. They keep me thinking, we almost had it all.
The scars of your love, they leave me breathless. I can't help feeling..."β™₯

xxLilly
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tumbleweed on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:35 am

Trying for Carlos :)
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ
β”Œβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ
β–ˆ β–Œthis is not life.
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”˜

Tumbleweed
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!