Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

Exile's Reviews -Halo Reach-

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Exile's Reviews -Halo Reach-

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rydan Allivitiar on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 pm

-OPENING-

Remember when there was a tomorrow remember Reach those simple words got the adrenaline and blood pumping of every Halo fan. The time has finally come and Bungie's final addition to the Halo Franchise has been released and has sold better than any Halo game to date on it's release. This game takes place on the UNSC planet named Reach where the Spartans were created and the Planet that fell by Covenant hands right before the events of the very first Halo game. However even though we finished the fight Bungie with Halo ODST showed us that it was just beginning and with Halo reach out and no Master Chief to take the stage how will this fare? Will this reach for the stars or will it simply be overrun by it's expectant glory just like the planet?

-STORY-

Welcome to Reach set just a few days before the events of Halo Combat Evolved. The story begins with introducing you Noble Six as you catch up with the Spartan Squad Noble Team and their current five members. From the git-go you're told that you're filling shoes that are best left untouched and trust me you truly are once the action picks up. Just like all other Halo games the hero never shows his or her face...that's right this game the ladies have not been left out. The Games begins with the discovery that the Covenant have not only landed on Reach but have already bunkered down and once the truth is out...everything is downhill from there. The game will launch you from the beginning of the invasion to the very end and each portion that holds a slight glimmer of hope just leads to it being dashed and scattered throughout the empty, cold, and dark voids of space. However the Campaign is enjoyable especially with a friend or three though in every way shape and form it's made like a documentary. You'll feel as if this has truly happened and that it can happen at any time to Earth itself. The feel of impending doom and the unavoidable fall of Reach surrounds you from the moment Noble Six picks up his gun and fires his first round.

-GAMEPLAY-

There is so much to talk about Gameplay wise in reach that the only great starting point...is any point. How one could manage to throw so much into a single game is simply astonishing. I'll begin with the online multiplayer since that is what most people buy a game for now. From the moment you pop in the game you're asked to create your Spartan choose your gender, your armor, colors, emblems, the list goes on with choices. There are about fifteen if not more game modes within Halo Reach for multiplayer wise going from basics like Team Slayer and Capture The Flag to more complex modes like Invasion and Headhunter. Halo ODST's Firefight mode returns to Reach and it's better than ever instead of facing countless waves of Covenant forces you're now left with a decision between five or more Firefight modes. The normal Firefight throws you against five increasingly difficult and numerous waves of Covenant where as Generator Defense brings the feel of unavoidable downfall to you and your squad where the waves never end until the generators have been destroyed. The latest and much more interesting version of Firefight mode is called Score Attack giving you the choice between running solo or with a squad. If you choose to run with a squad you can only invite friends and not join random players making teamwork a lot easier. Gruntpocolypse takes the gold metal for the most fun addition to Firefight. Placing you against five waves of numerous grunts wielding whatever weapons the game spawns them with. New additions like Snipers and Rocket Firefight don't truly influence the flow of things to much however they're still fun to play with friends. matchmaking Firefight has been added so if you want to go in with your current Squad or jump right in with a new one then by all means take your pick.

The online cooperative is more innovative than ever before with a new join-in increase in-game function where whenever someone jumps in to aid you against your fight the difficulty will increase. So for those trying to take it on in four player Legendary cooperative it won't be as easy as the previous Halo games. The online Multiplayer is more competitive than ever with the new Arena Matchmaking option where you have two choices between arena Slayer or Arena Doubles. This disables splitscreen online play however there you'll find both the best...and the even better. And with daily ranking systems to see who's on top expect to see everyone's A-game. A new Challenge system has been added where certain things down both in Matchmaking, Campaign and Firefight modes will give you extra Credits to purchase upgrades from the Armory.

The amount of content in the armory alone is staggering There are countless combination's in Reach that it'll be rare when in the latter ranks to find anyone wearing exactly everything you're wearing. With a perfected version of Halo 3's Matchmaking, perfected online play, and perfected cooperative experience Halo Reach is indeed the game to wrap your hands around. The new Weapons are insane the new DMR a semi-automatic battle rifle, the original Halo pistol returns, along with the Needlerifle, Concussion rifle, grenade launcher, homing covenant launcher, and others make the weapon bag almost impossible to choose from. With all new assassinations to boot if you hold down you melee button when behind an enemy you'll perform an interesting little assassination technique.

The new Forge Mode that was all the hype with Halo 3 has returned and is much more user friendly making creating that perfect map of yours much easier. Want to building a map that takes place over fifteen hundred feet off the ground but not stack a bunch of crap and delete top keep it there. Now you can where ever you want the object placed it'll stick there no matter how close to the ground or high above the map. You can select game modes for every initial spawn, respawn point, vehicles, and weapons. You can even make certain vehicles and even weapons accessible to specific teams only. So wants to make the perfect Invasion Slayer map where Spartans can only use human weapons and Covenant can only use theirs? Now it's possible to watch endless amounts of lead and plasma fly at each other in a massive Multiplayer map. So unleash your creativity and have a blast and with Bungie's plans to make User created maps available for play on Matchmaking against random players it just adds to the incentive to do so.

It's needless to say that the Multiplayer is where Reach truly shines and lets face it most people pick up a game for the Online play. It truly shines using maps from actual Campaign missions instead of randomly generated maps.

-Presentation-

Marty O'Donnell the maker of each and every Halo games soundtrack steps into the recording studio once more with Halo Reach with his best work ever and the best Halo soundtrack ever recorded. The soundtrack for Reach is gripping from the very start with appropriate songs to pump you up for the current and next encounter, and songs that will make you feel even the most hurtful moments of Reach. The music alone will make you feel the downfall of Reach that much more if not more than anything else. All your Spartan comrades are not afraid in this game to remove their helmets and show you what lies behind the visor character models are so realistic that it's almost scary. Each conversation all facial expressions match the right emotion for the character that is being presented at the very moment and changed just right with each new emotion that comes up. The detail to the environments in this game make you wonder if they just took pictures of real places and planets and stamped them on to the very environment. No detail is lacking in this game and it's quite obvious that countless man hours went into designing the largest Covenant Battle Cruiser to the smallest detail like a crack or scratch on the Spartan's armor. The game is beautiful in both sound and visual if not one of the most gorgeous appearing games in the market to date. Even during the chaotic online play the details never falter a single bit and continue to prove that when it comes to design Bungie is one of the best.

-Closing-

If there is such a thing as a perfect game Halo Reach is it. Demolishing almost every First Person Shooter to ever come out this year and maybe even the years before it. If you're looking for an epic story, Increasingly great online experience, and great detail this is it for you. Bungie definitely saved the best for last and even with Master Chief retired this prove you don't need one face to keep a series going on strong. With no pun intended if you're looking for a near perfect game if not perfect then Halo is no reach.

Remember where it all began. Remember Reach.

-Exile-

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rydan Allivitiar
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Re: Exile's Reviews -Halo Reach-

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:29 pm

To start off with, welcome to the Creative Forum! More specifically, welcome to the Writing subforum! I'm a moderator / mentor here at RPG, and I'm pleased to meet you. Especially since you've come with a piece of literature. :3

Since you've posted it here, I'm guessing you want some reviews on your review. Well.
First of all, what's this for? Are you sending it to, say, GameInformer in the hopes that it'll get published? Or are you adding it to your portfolio for college? Is this maybe just something you did for fun and want us to go through?

No matter what the situation, most people will expect you to add commas and other punctuation when necessary. Read through this review again (aloud!) and look for places where you naturally take a breath. Pretend that this is a speech or something that you're giving and give it as much characterisation as you can. Once you've done that, go to the parts where you took breaths and add commas and semicolons as needed.
Capitalisation was something you didn't have much of a problem with, although I'd still suggest running through your review or asking someone to look it over and point out mistakes in capitalisation.
Additionally, you seem to have a propensity for incomplete thoughts. Remember, sentences in literature are made up of both a subject and a predicate. An example of an incomplete thought in your review was:
With all new assassinations to boot| if you hold down you melee button when behind an enemy you'll perform an interesting little assassination technique.

Actually, the latter part of that sentence was okay, it was just the bolded part where there were problems. The former section might have been good if it'd been merged with the previous sentence (again, check for problems with punctuation), but as it stands now it's just an incomplete thought tacked on to the second part rather clumsily.

I'm sorry if this review was very harsh. I'm just trying to help you. The review itself was a good read, if that's any consolation. ^^;

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rydan Allivitiar on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Criticism is there so one may know where to improve to further build the feel and make such a thing perfect. One of my problems with English is indeed some of the punctuation this I cannot agree with more. This is not for the sake of getting published, however if such a thing happens so be it. I review for fun and to give my own personal opinion and feel about the game, movie, ect. I take no offense to constructive criticism and truthful criticism, however if you anyone posts anything like "It's Halo this blows compared to Medal of Honor lol newb." that's when I get a bit mad. (Yes if anyone posts that crap in my Review...don't expect a reply from me anytime in the near or distant future.)

To make a long post short I agree and if you don't mind lend me a helping hand (in PMs of course) with proper punctuation. I look forward to your swift reply that way I can better myself, that way if I decide to try it out I'll be ready and able to perform to the best of my ability. Thank you for your review, time, and patience.

-Exile-

Rydan Allivitiar
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm moving this to the Discussion & Debate forum. It's a good, comprehensive overview and I think if placed there, it would find a more open playing field for people reacting to it both as a work of writing, and a work of thinking.

ViceVersus
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:09 pm

This makes me wish I still had an Xbox 360, (even though I generally detest the idea of prequals.)

Village Alchemist
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:10 pm

I will heartily disagree with some of your points in this review, seeing as it's gushing with praise and has little, if any, criticism.

Reach is considered by most to be one of the more difficult games in the franchise to master. Some of the achievements involve such things as skyjacking a Banshee, getting a certain number of kills with the pistol, and even beating each level...and that's just the off-line stuff.

This game is definitely aimed at the veteran twitch gamer, whereas newcomers should definitely hone their skills in the campaign first before even thinking about stepping into the online arena. Make no mistake, the game can be quite frustrating on the higher difficulty settings, especially when you consider that emptying a full AR clip into some enemies--not to mention a human opponent--won't kill them outright from full health and shields. Thus, someone that falls behind in a multiplayer match is likely to stay there, which is fairly irritating (I've damaged at least two controllers as a result).

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rydan Allivitiar on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:07 pm

qbsuperstar03 wrote:I will heartily disagree with some of your points in this review, seeing as it's gushing with praise and has little, if any, criticism.

Reach is considered by most to be one of the more difficult games in the franchise to master. Some of the achievements involve such things as skyjacking a Banshee, getting a certain number of kills with the pistol, and even beating each level...and that's just the off-line stuff.

This game is definitely aimed at the veteran twitch gamer, whereas newcomers should definitely hone their skills in the campaign first before even thinking about stepping into the online arena. Make no mistake, the game can be quite frustrating on the higher difficulty settings, especially when you consider that emptying a full AR clip into some enemies--not to mention a human opponent--won't kill them outright from full health and shields. Thus, someone that falls behind in a multiplayer match is likely to stay there, which is fairly irritating (I've damaged at least two controllers as a result).

Your points are noted and your opinion is indeed honored in my eyes. However this is my opinion and not the opinion of the people. You can come from behind even if you fall behind and to those that don't it simply means you have crossed a much more fierce-some opponent. To those who view this as a problem I have a few simple words for you. Welcome to online play fight hard lose and get better to gain victory.

Rydan Allivitiar
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby libcakes on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Oh my gosh Reach. As a non-gamer myself, I must say I enjoyed Reach immensely. My brothers always hogged the X-Box back home and I had no need to buy one myself. Especially since I'm horrible at video games. Saying that, I had so much fun playing it. On Easy of course >.>. My friend and I beat it in a day on that level, with him doing most of the work XD. But practice makes near-perfect and I can tell I've gotten better. Recently we've been going scene-by-scene on Legendary and most of the skulls on, and what would normally take us an hour now takes us four, what with the constant dying and bad-ass Elites. There is a loooot more strategy going on now that one hit by a Zealot-class (and any other class for that matter) kills us no problem. One stays back behind a tree, or in a safe place, and then the other just runs into the thick of enemies, unloading a clip into the face of a grunt, and throw both of your grenades as you are shot by 5 different Covenant. And in the background you can see confetti and children cheering as the bastard grunt finally freakin' goes down.

>:D So fun!
Currently: a newb/online

libcakes
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rydan Allivitiar on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:14 pm

I know what you mean playing Legendary with Thunderstorm, Mythic, and Tilt skulls on will in deed make it a whole lot difficult. Just so you know here are some extra stats from Bungie themselves.

Playing on Legendary increases not only the difficulty but the difficulty of your enemies.

50% chance to increase and enemy by a single rank 25% to upgrade them two ranks
The enemies shots are 35% percent more accurate and they fire more in-between bursts
Plasma rounds travel up to 50% faster on Legendary then most difficulties.

Thunderstorm has a 100% chance to increase an enemy rank by one and a 50% chance of upgrading them by two
Mythic has a 100% chance to double all enemies shields and health 50% chance to triple them
Tilt 100% chance to double enemy attacks and drop yours by half 25% chance to triple their attacks and drop yours down to 25% of you normal damage.

Rydan Allivitiar
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!