Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! »

Players Wanted: 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP »

Fandoms

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Fandoms

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:04 pm

I think there's always a sense of excitement when you come across someone who shares the same fandom as you, and gets as enthralled with it as you do.

So, in the spirit of friendship, community, and excitement, what fandoms do you consider yourself a part of?

For me:

1. Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire
2. Doctor Who
3. Star Trek

Of course, I'm a TV nerd, so I love many more television shows, but these are what I think of when I hear/read the word, "fandom".

Now, you go!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

iamsheena
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Fandoms

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TimeOfTrial on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:07 pm

I myself am part of too many musical fandoms to list.
As far as television, I'm not quite sure most people would recognize the titles...
There are quite a few anime fandoms I consider myself part of
-Ouran HS HC
- Nabari No ou
and many others that I for some reason can't think of the names of.
Also am a fan of Vocaloid
Others off the top of my head
-Grim
-House
-(Anything on Ion really)
-Doctor Who (recently got into it...)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TimeOfTrial
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The_13th_Doctor on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Me? Oh... I'm not a fan of anything.
Just do what I do: Hold on and pretend it's a plan!

The_13th_Doctor
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OhMerrick on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:33 am

Me either. ;)

In reality, I collect X-Men comic books (centered around Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner/Kurt Darkholme) so I guess I'm in the X-Men fandom. Also:
Xena: Warrior Princess
Doctor Who
Bates Motel
Borderlands 2
Defiance
Legend of Korra
Soul Eater
FMA/FMA: Brotherhood
Dragonball Z
Adventure Time
Regular Show

I watch way too much TV.
Oh, Merrick!
---
"You know, outside the circus, most people were afraid of me. But I didn't hate them. I pitied them. Do you know why? Because most people will never know anything beyond what they see with their own two eyes."
Nightcrawler, X2

OhMerrick
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Screwface Romeo on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:07 am

Hrm, well....

I guess I'm a...

Mass Erect fan and Browncoat, primarily.

Outside of TV, film, games, etc., I'm a MagPul Dynamics fan (effectively a fandom within the gun community, though most would never admit it).
Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything! | Gun-Toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes | NationStates's resident AR-18 fanatic and bayonet-hater | STOP! Before you call a magazine a clip, think of the children!

I probably like Quarians a bit more than I should. ShepxTali 4lyf3

Screwface Romeo
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vix on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:52 am

Marvel Universe
Harry Potter (Future generations)
Supernatural
One Piece
Pokémon
Avatar: The Legend of “OC” (I prefer AUs with OCs)
Charmed
Bones
Law & Order
Twilight - Provided that the characters and plot are deeper than Kristen Stewart's loyalty to a monogamous relationship.
True Blood
Zelda

It's a small list, but I like it.
◎!Check it out!◎
◎My Interest Check◎
“All I'm writing is just what I feel, that's all. I just keep it almost naked. And probably the words are so bland.”
― Jimi Hendrix

Vix
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:37 am

The_13th_Doctor wrote:Me? Oh... I'm not a fan of anything.

Oh okay. I guess i'll just load my fan theories on my ships and sail elsewhere.
Once more, with rhythm!

PulseTrick
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:22 am

The triad of Cardinals baseball, Rams football, and Blues hockey. Let's StL

Kronos
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby redversustheblue on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm also a fan of Game of Thrones (TV version, but slowly reading the books), as well as Breaking Bad, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Harry Potter.
"There is only one god, and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death...not today."

redversustheblue
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:16 pm

In the past I considered myself apart from fandoms, probably because I found modern television rather unexciting and because as a young armature writer I was so obsessed with originality I saw fandom writing as immoral.

Since turning to gaming, novels and old television I think I have found fandoms I consider myself a member of. Also my old animosity towards fanfiction has since diminished, I now consider fanfiction a valuable means of avoiding one of my shortcomings of writing and therefor a means of practice. I tend to focus myself on the creation of the setting or "universe" rather then the story and its characters, I am sometimes rendered easily distracted from the real point of a story and get "lost"

By writing fanfiction strictly as a means of practice I can create characters and shape a story since the setting or "universe is already there. Even if my obsession with setting still drives me to make alterations at least I can still concentrate on the other elements of a story.

In a serious project I occasionally blend different works both original and fanfiction so I may enjoy the benefits of both disciplines.

Among the fandoms I often work with I can name:

Games:

"Fallout" (mostly 3 and NV)

"Elder Scrolls" (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim)

"Knights of the Old Republic" ( original and sith lords, NOT THE OLD REPUBLIC!)

"Hearts of Iron Darkest Hour"

"Treasure Planet Battle at Procyon"

"
Television

"Doctor Who" (THE ORIGINAL SERIES!!!)

"Blake's 7"

"Star Trek" (Original, Next Gen, DS9, and... possibly Voyager)

Numerous Anime and other shows

I could go on to books and historical time periods but, time is scarce and I must put this post to a close. I am not a fan of materials in the sense that I go to events and put on costumes. My interpretation of fandom is from where I draw ideas from and in what settings I write fanfiction.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Romaneck on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Crap I dont think I can recall them all but Ill give it a shot, besides while there might be some things I have missed up and I like (say game of thrones) if someone throws shit at them I don’t flip like a madman… if someone disregards the following example though… I get irrational in my defensive zeal
Books
-Black Company: GOOD GOD, if there is a chance for me to talk to anyone about this great saga then I probably will.

Featuring sympathetic characters who are more characters tan they are archetypes or tropes, a refreshing take on fantasy that brings the humanity (or lack of thereof) from the company something that you can buy and swallow, you get that they only want to get their job done get paid and get out.
Also it makes you wonder just who really is the bad guy here? Is the Lady the evil overlord that the rebel makes her out to be? Are the rebels who torture, rape, pillage, burn and brainwash a beacon of hope or are they just as bad as the wizard they seem to dethrone?

And the books of the glittering stone, o god I could write an essay on Mogaba´s awesome character arc, starts as a good guy, becomes the blackest of betrayers… and gets to live off some 10 years with his choices as it chews him up inside… not only that he forsakes keeping up the fight because in the end he realizes that even if he could stop the company from acquiring its goals, the only thing that would truly lose in that scenario is the city that he has grown to love and call home.

And nobody is safe, people die left and right the last 2 books aren’t called “The many deaths of the Black Company” because it had a good ring to it, it comes as a shock and with little foreshadowing, characters that were protagonistic get dropped in a short sentence giving little time to their demise.

Also it helps that the company isn’t dumb, no” A Song of Ice and Fire” Ned stark´s or Stanni´s humongous idiocity, no, as the narrator of the books of the north says “My dumb brothers died young” people realize when something is amiss, they know the game even if they don’t see the players

I cant give this saga enough high praise.
- Robert E. Howard/Conan
The adventurous writer who captivated the imagination of many males with his power fantasies, there is something primal about Conan, he is a barbarian that keeps his personal honor and always comes on top through wits and strength.
Not only was that but Robert E. also a great horror writer, speaking of horror

- Lovecraft/ Cthulhu mythos
When science gets a treatment that makes it come off as something terrifying, man´s ignorance and insignificance in a universe that would shatter the rules of logic we so desperately try to cling to

-Northern Frights
A Canadian compilation of horror books, but it is so small that I don’t think it constitutes a fandom
- Lord of the Rings
I am not ashamed to admit that I first heard of lotr via the movies, but later on when the chance presented itself I turned to the books and well, one has to understand that it is a product of its time and might be seen as idealistic and naïve… but there is something so noble about the whole struggle against the pure men of the west against the wretched hordes of Sauron that, makes it all look so simple and righteous in their fight
Videogames:
-Dark Souls
While I am not going to throw excrement to the Elder Scrolls, I have to say that the Dark Souls game is one full of moments of great successes that shine over a large sea of failure and shame.
The atmosphere is great, it could be labeled as a horror game under the right circumstances, yet quick reflexes and technique will see the worthy trough.
Altough often overlooked, I find how the lore presents itself as something of a bonus as well, few things are rarely ever stated and there are a lot of implications that allow for all sorts of interpretations (Gwyn´s firstborn = Solaire? Velka is the crow? Dark Lord ending is the good ending? Etc)

-Persona
Japanese highschoolers have to save the world as they form bonds between themselves and overcome their personal issues, all while you interact in what can be summed up as a dating sim.
When you spell it out like that, it sounds generic, bland and stereotypical as it can get, once you actually play it the character quirks and their interactions make you realize why these kind of things work, and much to my dismay I can’t deny that there is something immeasurably sweet about winning a character portrait´s blush with your affective social choices

Ill stop here since I don’t think you guys want to keep up with more videogames, movies and music

Extra music:
If someone says anything negative about Neko Case in my presence there will be blood!
"Incessant wind sweeps the plain. It murmurs on across grey stone, carrying dust from far climes to nibble eternally at the memorial pillars. There are a few shadows out there still but they are the weak and the timid and the hopelessly lost.

It is immortality of a sort.

Memory is immortality of a sort.

In the night, when the wind dies and silence rules the place of glittering stone, I remember. And they all live again."

Romaneck
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rikkucho on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:03 am

Oh boy.

Books:
Warrior Cats
Maximum Ride
CHERUB

Anime:
Code Geass
Death Note
Hitman Reborn
Shingeki no Kyojin

Kpop:
EXO
BAP

There are MORE, but I don't want to overkill with this xD

Rikkucho
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:32 am

I’m not really sure if all I put down here is actually “fandoms” but it’s stuff that I like.

I like all the usual Video Game stuff Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Metal Gear Solid and the like.
With TV shows I got really into 24 when it was airing, in retrospect it was terrible but if you ever want a master class in the art of the cliff hanger that’s it. Lost was great show but that’s because I associate it with Uni. A load of us would gather on a weekday night to watch, the show itself wasn’t great at least the later seasons weren’t, it was more about getting everyone together to sit silently starting at the idiot box for 40 minutes before getting drunk and spit balling theories. I remember one time a guy printed off Dharma Initiative logos and stuck them to the beers. If you liked the show it was cool.

I love Father Ted and the I.T. Crowd (both by Graham Linehan). The Inbetweeners was another great show but it ran slightly too long. I guess that’s a problem with a lot of shows once they hit success there is the temptation to run too long, the US office is an example of that. It was way better than the British version but then it got way worse. It’s always sunny in Philadelphia is a great US comedy that doesn’t really get the love it deserves but it’s kind of running too long now as well.

Books, I got really into Michael Connelly and that’s where the username came from, I don’t really read him so much now but his books are good. I don’t really read that many series and I only made to the third book in the Harry Potter series before deciding it wasn’t for me. (I think it’s the third one anyway, its the one where Hermione gets the magic watch). I’ve repeatedly tried to get into game of thrones but I just don’t like all that Sword and Sorcery stuff, I wish I could though because I know I’m missing out.

Ready Player One is a great book I’ve read recently, House of Leaves is also great but not everybody loves it because it is weird. I read the Third policeman a while back which was very good and The Stand is amazing.

I know nobody has mentioned Podcasts yet but there are two that are amazing especially for any writers. The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine and The Truth. The Dunesteef is audio book style while the Truth is Audio Dramas. Both are worth a listen.

I’m not really that into Anime but I love Cowboy Beebop. I saw the movie before the series and I only caught the end with Spike and Vincent on top of the Eiffel tower look alike. It was amazing, like it totally blew my mind. The combination of music, art and animation was just incredible. I grabbed a DVD of the movie and it’s easily one of my favourite films. Cowboy Beebop is fantastic and if you watch anything I’ve mentioned make it this.

Bosch
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby corruptedterror on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 pm

So many fandoms II'll try to list a few

TV/Anime
Naruto
Lucky Star
Soul Eater
Sgt. Keroro
Ranma 1/2
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Video Games
Naruto Ultimate Ninja(Storm)
Jack and Daxter
Play Station-Console
Nintendo-Console
Eden Eternal- MMORPG
Fiesta Online- MMORPG
Aion- MMORPG
Vindictus- MMORPG

corruptedterror
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FuzzyLove1720 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:47 am

Hhmmmmm, that's a tough one...

My favorite fandon at the moment (Since i\m a huge sucker for crime and mystery stories) has to be:
Sherlock (bbc)
that and Grim.

I used several hours rewatching 1'st season, one of these past days >w<

FuzzyLove1720
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:11 pm

Okay, I would say the fandom I've been apart of the longest is-

Sailor Moon

Amongst others-
JRPGs- video games
Roxette- music group
Cats- Broadway musical
Christine Feehan- author

I am sure there are others, but those stick out the most for me.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moxin on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Game of Thrones, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Monogatari, and Dangan Ronpa atm

Moxin
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Megamaw on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I am a fan of many things, so to speak.

However, if you'd ask me, the term 'fandom' has certain negative connotations. I will not name offending parties, but a great number of 'fandoms' have extremely vocal members, minority or majority, that generally make asses out of themselves very quickly.

There are many things that I regard myself a fan of, with an associated clique, so to speak. However, I do not consider myself a part of that clique.

Megamaw
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShortStacks98 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:16 pm

I have several different fandoms... But, just to list a few:
1. The Vampire Diaries
2. Glee
3. NCIS
4. The Walking Dead
5. Game of Thrones
6. True Blood

And again, that's just a few, out of SEVERAL more.
"Everyone is beautiful in their own way."

DessyHope<3

ShortStacks98
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TCoS on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 pm

The Pittsburgh Steelers, Batman and Disturbed are my big three, though I'd consider myself a fan of many other things.
Is now King of Biscayne on RPNation.

TCoS
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!