Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas » Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? »

Players Wanted: OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner »

Favourite TV Series and Why?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Favourite TV Series and Why?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:51 pm

So, lately I've been watching all my boxsets of series that I am slowly but surely collecting. So, I'm asking all you out there what TV series do you guys like, and why?

I'll start

Criminal Minds: (obviously) because of my interest in crime and forensics. Plus, I love the characters and everything about it.
CSI: (all of them) again because of the forensics and crime side. I love the different stories no matter how wrong things can be on the scientific side, and believe me, there are. I've seen them.
House: What can I say, I <3 House and his jerkiness.
Desperate Housewives: It's just so funny. Hilarious what they do and the predicaments they get themselves in.
The Ghost Whisperer: I'm not sure why I like this, I just love it.
The OC: I just like this, not as much as the others though.
Bones: I <3 David Boreanaz.

So, what about you guys?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CriminalMinds
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Favourite TV Series and Why?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:08 pm

I love House! Though the medicine in it does have a tendency to make me swear at the TV on occasion. Bones is great too. I'm currently watching the second series of Mad Men and, I've also got into Spooks (MI5 for everyone on the wrong side of the Atlantic) in the past year. Otherwise, I dig period dramas, Louis Theroux documentaries and one of my all-time favourite programmes which isn't around any more is The Office.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

NorthernSoul
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imehal on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 am

Crimmy, dear if you didn't like Criminal Minds I'd think something was wrong!

As to the subject matter:

Merlin - Yes, it utterly barbarises a collective of Arthurian legend but really, it's just a show that not only entertains brilliantly but brings said legends to the attention of the masses.
Castle - I cannot say how much I love the witty, clever and constant pace of this show!
Criminal Minds - It has a heart to it that the other forensic shows seem to miss with its focus on the team, though I accept that it's getting a little too focused with season six.
NCIS - Both versions and why? Because it's sharp and has some brilliant characters and development.
Strictly Come Dancing - I love watching people dance, be it badly or professionally.
Grand Designs - Some of those houses - just wow and to see the effort that people will put in to get the house of their dreams.
Doctor Who - I say no more.
Torchwood - See above, but with gratutious quantities of campness.
Friends - My all-time favourite comedy show.
Scrubs - Silly and fantastic when I'm in a cynical mood. Doctor Cox!
Big Bang Theory (though it makes me cringe sometimes!) - Wonderful geekiness!

Added after seeing Jag's post: Firefly!
Last edited by Imehal on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gasmask: Alright. Either your CD is corrupted, which'd explain the crashing and odd stuffs.
Imehal: Or?
Gasmask: Your windows really, really, really hates icewind dale.

Imehal
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:34 am

Battlestar Galactica -- Everything about this show is win to me. I truly love the series from start to finish and can watch through the entire series in a few days thanks to Netflix Instant Streaming. So, so good.

Firefly -- The only reason this isn't my absolute favorite of all time is probably the fact that it never finished.

Star Trek: The Next Generation -- My brother and I grew up loving this show without even really understanding it at the time. Although it has a camp/cliche element that makes it less impactful than BSG or Firefly, it's like comfort food and I could watch it any time.

Jag
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BriaLangston on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:07 am

Degrassi--- Yes, I love it and don't you dare say anything about it! XD Chances are I already heard all the complaints.

Wolf Lake--- I just wish they made more episodes!

Charmed---- Kick butt witches!

The Vampire Diaries--- My sister needs to like this so I can watch it more. -.-

Dawson's Creek--- They just talk so smartical

I have more. I just can't remember them.
"The greater the obstacle, the more the glory in overcoming it."
Moliere

BriaLangston
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby they-go on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 am

NCIS. The original one. Not the one where it says Los Angeles or whatever. Never watched it.
Bewitched. Amazing. Amazing, 'mazing, 'mazing. moarplz
Hogans Heroes: yummy. I would have let him 'schmile' me any time.
M.A.S.H Just because.
Bones Just because.
Doctor Who. Uh... I don't really think this needs an explanation. Its possibly the best thing to ever come out of the UK
random tumblings from an erratic creator whose head is in the clouds of fantasy and imagination trying to decide which direction is south for the winter.

they-go
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darrelkun on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:17 am

Lie to Me - A beautiful t.v. series that doesn't get the credit it deserves. The original season was heavily based on science, and probably the best season. Since then it's dropped a little due to the writers taking more liberty than they should.

South Park - Awwww yeaaaaah. I got Seasons 1~13 for Christmas. <3

Cake Boss - I enjoy watching this with my girlfriend whenever she comes over. Buddy is funny.

Two and a Half Men - Pretty funny. Kind of sad that Charlie gets paid so much money to be himself though!

What Not to Wear - Liek oh my gawd you gaiz! Those shoes totally don't match your skirt!

Worst Cooks Ever - Or something like that. I've actually learned a bit on how to properly cook watching this show! And I really like how they don't have to show the best parts for advertisement nor do they leave every commercial break with a cliff hanger!

Venture Brothers, Futurama, Family Guy, Home Videos, Sea Lab 2021, Anime - Old school Adult Swim. New stuff is garbage, I no longer watch nor support it.

Darrelkun
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gasmask on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 am

X-Files.

X-Files.

Fringe.

More X-Files.

I need no reasons, I am infallible.
[left]Image[left]
Tiko says:
I still wanna punch him in the face
Mid says: Gas 1, Mid 0.

Gasmask
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arash on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 am

Burn Notice

Psych

In Plain Sight

(I love USA shows, just the feel of them i guess. They always shave a kind of happy overtone and I like happy things XD )

Criminal Minds

Pawn Stars

Law And Order: SVU

Arash
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephyr on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 pm

I love Criminal Minds because I love of psychological analysis and profiling. Plus, MGG is fantastic and I enjoy stalking him.

I used to watch Fringe religiously, but now... not so much. Don't know why. :/

And What Not To Wear is getting up there... Not sure why, though. :p
Hello, friends...

Zephyr
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Shameless.

Need I say more? Oh. The British version, not the American remake they spat out about a month ago.

Nevan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FanastyLife on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:26 am

South Park and Family Guy: The two most funniest cartoons I have ever since in my life

Pretty Little Liars: I love the mystery of series and the thrill of every episodes. I makes you use your head to try and figured out who the Killer is and who "A" is.

Vampires Diaries: I really love this show just because of all the love triangles and drama.

Degrassi: I like this show because its nothing but drama, its shows all the drama that teens go through on a regular basics (and parents think teens have nothing to worry about)

Nikita: I like the action in this show, its just an action packed tv show

FanastyLife
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kharaa on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Hard to say a single favorite.

Star Trek: I'm a huge sci-fi nut, and this was my first adventure in to it, when I was like 6. Have been a "trekkie" since.

Star Gate SG1, Atlantis, Universe: Uh.. simply one of the most badass shows ever to grace the TV. It's hard to explain exactly why, it has a huge mixture of action and comedy, and drama.

24: Jack Bauer>Chuck Norris that is all.

House M.D.: The guy is the biggest jerk on the face of the planet, but he's the coolest most badass jerk there is. And he's pretty much always right.

Dexter: Uh show about a vigilante serial killer.. what isn't to like. ;)

Chuck: Most crack up comedy/action show i've ever seen.

Lost: Great Action/Drama/Sci-fi Thriller. The entire universe is just awesome.

Burn Notice: About the same as Chuck and 24, good action/drama show, with some great comedic elements. The main character is a badass.

There is probably many more I really like, but i'm forgetting them off the top of my head.

kharaa
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VampirePrincessKairi on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:58 pm

I don't watch much tv....

1. Spongebob

Umm...I like watching my cartoons every now and then. Plankton and Squidward. That is all.

2. Looney Tunes

I mean..Who doesn't like a little bit of... "Duck season!" "Duck season." "It's not duck season! It's rabbit season,so shoot me!" and then Elmer shoots Daffy because he's a retard and his beak goes twirling on his face. Probably my favorite episode too.

3. Wizards of Waverly Place

Selena Gomez is gorgeous and a great actress. I like the whole playful semi-comedic wizard stuff.

VampirePrincessKairi
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Conumbra on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Criminal Minds - I swear this is the only live action drama show I watch. Haven't got interrested in the others.

Top Gear - The UK version. I like it. I am always right. Moving on.

Futurama - Possibly the only cartoon drama series that I've watched that manages to blend in drama and comedy so seamelessly. New series is awesome.

Also, from looking over my computer screen at the TV, I've watched about half as much SG-! as my mother. It is awesome.

Conumbra
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 am

Babylon 5 - Isn't it obvious, the sheer depth of this show, the pace, the character development, the superb acting, the universe, the grandeur and just plain amazingness, this is one if not my favourite show ever. So I basically near geekgasmed when I heard the creator wants to make a movie like big budget one, returning cast and everything -- he refuses to give franchise to some Hollywood big shot and will only make a movie if he's got full control. It may never happen, but man that's just plain dedication!

FlashForward - It pisses me off to no end this show was cancelled I watched it after seeing it was advertised and from then on in was hooked, the depth and just plain awesomeness in this show.

The 4400 - Same for above

Blackadder - The wit and charm of this show is amazing and it has some of Britain best comedians in it :).

Bones - Began watching this needing something to fill me show wise, loved it, but then I tend to love crime shows, but I like how it takes a different outlook to likes of CSI which I also love.

CSI Original and CSI NY - I hate Miami, Curuso a good actor but he's just irritating and really doesn't have any redeeming qualities, but I love the other shows, NY because let's face it Mac is basically like a Medieval Knight, honourable, loyal, protective and moral, yes the science is iffy to put it subtly, but I still love it a great deal. And I loved CSI Original for Grissom but now I love it for Langstorm (sp).

Castle - How could you not like this, it's quirky and witty, it has Nathan Fillion playing a mystery writer and the sexual tension between him and Beckett, wow!

Futurama - Nerd and geek humour at it's best -- I'm such a big fan I've listened to the commentaries season 1-4 and when rest is out on seasons will listen to them, mainly as the guys so entertaining :).

House - Before this never seen Hugh Laurie in a serious role, but man does he pull it off well, also you now even feel sorry for him. This is a great drama :).

Carnivale - Inspired my latest roleplay of course I love it, another show ended too soon.

Angel/Buffy/Firefly - I love all of Joss Whedon shows -- though yet to see Dollhouse.

Broadwalk Empire - The intrique and subtly of this show, the unlikable assholes still having redeeming features, the clever plots, the great settings and props and just plain amazing writing. I watched this after reading article on it in the Guardian newspaper, glad I did.

Now time to be controversial, shows I think are way to overrated:

BSG - Yes the character development was good and I watched whole thing, but last season ruined it for me. And after seeing Babylon 5 it washes this way out to sea. I'm a nerd fully admitted, but this show wasn't as amazing as everyone makes it out to be.

Lost - I wanted to like this, but there things called plot twists and something called subtly, the plot twists here are more varients of Deus Ex Machina, 'random shit, for random shit sake' pretty much. I watched up to half of Season 2.

Walking Dead - This show was raved from geek site to geek site, it was a huge disappointment to me, majorly huge disappointment. it had the potential, but never quite reached the zenith.
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Rulke
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Terrus on Sun May 08, 2011 8:33 am

Criminal Minds - Because I think its interesting and fun to watch, especially with Dr. Reid.

Jail - A truely true reality show, not crap like the MTV stuff, about people who aren't at prison yet, but they have been caught.

Family guy
> Funny funny funny!
American Dad

NCIS - I don't need a reason. Its awesome, thats that.

In Plain Sight - Its interesting.

Law and Order: I like Lenny Brisco and Jack McCoy. They are interesting people. R.I.P. actor who played Lenny who's name I can't remember.

Stargate SG1: My dad got me hooked on the show, I have not seen every episode, but I definately would get most of what they were talking about if I saw a new one.

Numb3rs: Charlie Epps is amazing, even though I'm not a big math fan.

Firefly: Do I really need to explain myself for this one?

theres more....can't think of em.

Terrus
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 am

Firefly: Some of the most compelling characters and great one-liners in a series, it's criminal that it got cancelled.

Blackadder: Just generally hilarious, again, great characters and really well-writted.

Being Human (BBC Series): Probably my favorite series of all time. Before I watched it I was under trhe impression that vampire and werewolves were done to death, boring, unoriginal and more or less impossible to make interesting again. The series totally changed my mind as it took supernatural drama in a whole new, more down to earth direction. Instead of saving the world or hunting monsters they were watchign The Rela Hustle and complaining about the ghost that never stopped making tea. The vampires, even the 'good' ones were written to be inherent monsters rather that 'misunderstood' and werewolfism was wirtten to be a curse rather than a handy magic trick. It's just got so much sincerity about it that I find it impossible not to like.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me Vit.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Beta Tester Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Sun May 08, 2011 10:11 am

VitaminHeart wrote:Being Human (BBC Series): Probably my favorite series of all time. Before I watched it I was under trhe impression that vampire and werewolves were done to death, boring, unoriginal and more or less impossible to make interesting again. The series totally changed my mind as it took supernatural drama in a whole new, more down to earth direction. Instead of saving the world or hunting monsters they were watchign The Rela Hustle and complaining about the ghost that never stopped making tea. The vampires, even the 'good' ones were written to be inherent monsters rather that 'misunderstood' and werewolfism was wirtten to be a curse rather than a handy magic trick. It's just got so much sincerity about it that I find it impossible not to like.

Totally agree! I love the juxtaposition of mundaneness and the supernatural (also, staring at Mitchell). And because I'm completely shameless... Perhaps you should check this out: being-human-t57452.html

NorthernSoul
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Manic Monkey on Sun May 08, 2011 2:45 pm

- Family Guy
- The Shield
- The Wire
- The Sopranos
- Married With Children
- Two and a Half Men
- Doctor Who
- That 70s Show
- Nip Tuck
- Quantum Leap

Sure there's more I missed.
Cop - "Sir, have you been drinking tonight?"

Driver - "Do you see a fat chick in the car?"

Manic Monkey
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!