A Few of My Favorite Things

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

A Few of My Favorite Things

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:17 am

I don't know about you guys, but when something good happens to me, when I'm in a good mood, or I just have a little piece of joy, I want to shout it to the world sometimes. Well, now we have a thread to do that with!

If you are driving down the road and it makes your day that someone has let you cut in somewhere, share it with us!

If you are sort-of paying attention to the chat on the site and an old, awesome friend randomly shows up and it also makes your day, share it with us! (<3 Houston)

If you go to McDonald's and the fries are crispy, making it the best lunch you've had all week, share it with us!

It's the little things in life that make us happy, so spread the love by sharing what makes you happy.

I love thunderstorms when I don't have to drive in them. It just started thundering like crazy and pouring rain here at work, and my office has the best view in town. Despite the horrible day I'm going to have at school on top of lack of sleep, the weather has given me a little piece of joy while sitting in my cramped cubicle. :)
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Re: A Few of My Favorite Things

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:36 pm

I woke up at 11:35 AM today.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saladin on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:42 pm

A stressful day at work today was made so much better by an unexpected email from a very beautiful, very dear, female friend.

She knows who she is, so thank you.

Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

Lord Saladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:06 pm

I just got a fire burning in my hearth......VERY LARGE FIRE! WAAAAAARM!!!

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:46 am

Yay! I am so glad there are other people who share in my love for the little things in life. I am very easily excited over the small joys in life and cherish them as much as possible.

And Saladin, you're so sweet. <3 I do wonder who you could be referring to. :P

Alchemist, I'm jealous. I don't think I've woken up later then 10 or 11 am in years. >_<! I'm also jealous of the fire, because I don't have a fireplace since I moved out. ;_;.

I went to Kyle's house, my fiance, to spend half an hour with him before work. Even after he left and I was alone there, I sat by his family's fireplace and read, because I don't get that kind of warmth and peace anywhere else anymore. That made my afternoon yesterday. It was so relaxing. All the animals were asleep on the floor or chairs around me (3 cats and 2 dogs!), I was laying back relaxed in my favorite recliner...Even though it was only for about 45 minutes, it was something I needed really bad, to just relax and forget about everything.

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:01 pm

Angel_Melfina wrote:I'm also jealous of the fire, because I don't have a fireplace since I moved out. ;_;.

I went to Kyle's house, my fiance, to spend half an hour with him before work. Even after he left and I was alone there, I sat by his family's fireplace and read, because I don't get that kind of warmth and peace anywhere else anymore. That made my afternoon yesterday. It was so relaxing. All the animals were asleep on the floor or chairs around me (3 cats and 2 dogs!), I was laying back relaxed in my favorite recliner...Even though it was only for about 45 minutes, it was something I needed really bad, to just relax and forget about everything.

If it makes you feel better: I don't have central heating.

(Yes, I have internet but not central heating.)

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:44 am

Lol, that doesn't make me feel better because that means you're cold unless you're huddled against the fire place. I'm a cold natured person, so if I'm sitting still, I'm usually cold. I just have a little wall unit in my tiny apartment. As for internet...I bum someone's wireless, but it kicks me off a lot. I think it's the wireless leftover from Panera Bread up the street. I don't feel so bad about it if that's the case. >_>

A happy thing for yesterday...My car had to be in the shop AGAIN, but instead of waiting for hours in the waiting room like last time, I got to drive a brand new Corolla for half the day. :) That was a sweet car. My brother has one, but I've never driven it. I started to treat myself and tell Saturn when they called that I couldn't make it that day to get my car so I could keep the rental overnight, but I'm too nice and didn't. But, the half day I had the Corolla was nice, even if my day was all fudged up because of my car screwing up. I think a Corolla will be my next car whenever I get another one in the future. Maybe there's a reason why I'm the only one in my family that doesn't have a Toyota?

My happy thing for today. (Yes, it's not even 8AM and I already have one, no TWO!) I stopped at a new little drive-thru coffee place this morning, and had two happy things happen. First of all, the man at the window was incredibly nice. I'll go there every morning if just to deal with a smiling face before 7AM. I could have hugged him. Is that weird? Secondly, my coffee came in the COOLEST cup. Ya know at Starbuck's how they have the cardboard little cup sleeve? Well, these cups at this place have this wrap glued onto the cup called an INSULAIR. It's sort of soft and padded, but basically keeps your coffee hot and is a nice grip for your cup. Plus, it has the coolest vintage map design on it. I think I'll keep washing this cup and reusing it when I have water out of the water cooler or something at work. It's the perfect little insulated paper cup.

Okay...so here is what I've decided to do. I have decided to challenge everyone who reads this thread. Look for something small in your life every day that makes you smile and post it here. Even if it's JUST me posting little things in this thread every day, I am going to keep it going. I am honestly a little disappointed that this thread hasn't gotten much activity. I thought it would be booming with people wanting to talk about the little things in life that make them happy, but I guess I have to remember not everyone looks for those little things, and that maybe I'm one of the few.

I can say with confidence that everyone has little things that happen to them every day that make that day a little better, even if just for a moment. Your coffee is the perfect temperature, your beat up old car started the first time, someone lets you over into their lane when you're driving, you got a nice PM on Gateway, someone replies to a topic you made, you finished an assignment for school and have a weight lifted off your shoulders, you get 5 minutes of quiet time, the weather is beautiful. ANYTHING. I know we all have little things that we love more than we let on.

So share them with me. I am so excited to see what people have to say. Maybe I'm on an inspiration trip (instead of a power trip), who knows? I am an avid reader of the PostSecret Blog (http://www.postsecret.com) every Sunday, and I guess this is my little version of an inspirational project. I am actually considering doing what Frank Warren has done with leaving post cards everywhere, only asking people to submit the little things in life that make them happy rather than secrets. Is that stupid?

Anywho, bottom line, I want people to keep their eyes open and see the world. I am in such a huge hurry every day, constantly in a hurry and literally running everywhere I go, but I still manage to smile and be courteous to others because I know how much it means to me when someone is courteous to me. I remember them for the rest of my life. A couple weeks ago, I was at the bagel shop where I'd been getting coffee and a bagel every day for 2 weeks. The lady finally asked my name, and although I have only been there once since then because of my hurried life, I think of her and her smile every time I drive by the place. In that same day, the lady at a bank I frequently go to for work asked my name as well. Every time I go there, she calls me by my name, and it makes me smile long after I pull away from the drive-thru. Even when I just drive by the bank, I see her and will always remember her kindness.

I'm sorry this is so long. Many of you probably won't even read this, but we need more people out there appreciating things like this. I have nothing against life being hurried, because it happens, but we all need to remember to stop and smell the roses sometimes, literally and figuratively.

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:52 am

Angel_Melfina wrote:Lol, that doesn't make me feel better because that means you're cold unless you're huddled against the fire place.

Ah, but notice that I am in Alabama. So if it is not December or early January

By the way, adding random, crappy captions to seemingly arbitrary pictures is one of those little things that make me happy.

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:22 pm

Lol.

I just pulled a blanket right out of the dryer and bundled up in it. When I am at Kyle's house, his basement is always cold. If his mom does laundry while I'm there, she'll grab a blanket or one of Kyle's shirts out of the dryer and drape it over my shoulders while I'm watching TV or something.

That is one of my favorite things. :)

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lord Saladin on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:41 pm

A day with my best friend yesterday, and her little boy.

That always makes me smile. And, it was so cute... I had her son on my knee, and he was trying to grab my glasses, so each time he stretched out his arm to grab them, I moved it out of the way, and shook my head rather quickly, while saying "No no no no no no no."

He started shaking his head just as quick as i was doing, and was laughing. Then, he just fell forwards and gave me a big hug.

That is only a little thing, but makes me smile and feel good.

Lord Saladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Today, my brother bought me a bag of gummy worms. And.....they had that wierd powder on them to make them intentionally and delightfully sour! And they didn't have any high fructose corn syrup! And they were made by an Alabamian company! And it was huge!!

:)

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:52 am

Aww, Saladin. That's so cute!! I can so imagine that, because I do the same thing with Kyle's youngest niece. She's just over a year old now, and she does the same thing. She's always reaching for something shiny on me when I hold her, and 80% of the time, it's my glasses. She's gotten way too good at getting them off my face, too. She's learned to jerk them off before I get a chance to do anything! She's so damn cute. XD

And Alchemist, I LOVE those sour thingors with the powder on them. That's pretty much what I had for dinner last night before I went to bed early. XD

And now, for my early morning favorite thing. I've been up since facking 1AM working on papers for school. I got to work around 3:30AM just to use my computer because 1.) The internet is stable here, 2.) I have fewer distractions here and 3.) My brain doesn't associate my desk chair with sleep, like it does with my couch or my bed, so I can actually stay awake and not shove the paper aside to fall asleep on it only to wake up in a frenzy when my paper isn't done.

So yeah, that's not even the favorite thing. I use GMail as my primary personal email, and I just discovered that I can sign into AIM through GMail now, so I can be on AIM while at work! Yar!

I'd also like to throw in a favorite thing from this past weekend since I wasn't in town. I was at Eric/Remaeus' house! And my favorite thing from this past weekend...was Eric himself! He is the coolest guy evar, and so were all of his friends that I met and fell in love with. We've agreed to take turns visiting each other every few months or so (It's about a 4.5 hour drive) for a weekend, and we're already trying to plan a beach trip or something for this summer. I'm so excited!

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aelita on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:47 am

yesterday I stuck up for someone, on another site, and their best friend , which is also a good friend of mine, pmed me saying thank you and some other stuff. ^_^ That made me happy cause I didn't know if I was fighting a losing battle or not. lol

The other thing that happened was I got to talk about Fruits Basket with someone that was really into it too! I started getting really excited cause I hardly ever get to talk about Furuba with other people that like it just as much as I do! <3 It was so much fun I wish it didn't have to end, well actually she had to log out so I have yet to see her reply message. <3

Aelita
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Stormkeeper on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:15 am

A girl I liked asked if she could hold my hand. *blush*
I looked at the sky and wondered where the hell my roof went to.

Stormkeeper
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Aw, Stormkeeper! That's awesome!

My favorite thing for today: I took a practice midterm this morning in my Film Lit. class that was supposed to be counted as a quiz, but the teachers said he really didn't feel like having something else to grade and we just went over it in class. Thank GOD, because I think everyone would have phailed. :)

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Stormkeeper on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:37 pm

I kinda know how that feels... Not wanting to grade another paper, i mean ...

Today I finally saved enough money to get that big shiny replica broadsword I always wanted.

Stormkeeper
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:39 am

Swords FTW!

There are several things that I wanted to post here over the weekend, but I kind of went MIA because it was Spring Break and I was lazy.

The only one I can remember at the moment...

I love it when my fiance and I are sitting together, whether at home or at church or something, and we are holding hands. Many times, he'll look down at my hand at the engagement ring he gave me. If it is not perfectly centered, he fixes it so that it is centered on my finger. It's so cute. :)

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:07 pm

My name is blue now!

And I finally beat Gears of War on "Hardcore" difficulty!

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Haha.

I went to O'Charley's with my parents for dinner, and they had BENDY STRAWS.

BENDY STRAWS!!

And the bartender made me a drink that he created and it was the best drink I've ever had...

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:36 pm

Yesterday, a luna moth literally appeared at my front door!

Dem's purdy.

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!