Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

So... a few questions

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

So... a few questions

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shalynn on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:46 pm

First off...
Dunno if this is the right place to ask them hehe, but since i didn't want to bother anyone in particular with some silly questions from a newcomer... i guessed this would be the best way to do it.

Been lurking, and checking the various "sceneries" and "worlds" here in the forum, also reading the stickies and the hmmm red posts(?)... also peeked into the chat, but before engaging on anything i would like to have some doubts clarified. After all, silly mistakes tend to become bothersome after a while, and i rather minimize them all i can.
Going to the matter at hand then:

- About characters, character development and different "universes":
Can you use the same character for these? Even if it is on the same sort of time frame?
By this i mean... every thread/plot as it's own space, or are they all linked together? And hence every change you do to one, will affect the others?
My first guess from what i read would be that this is mainly on "player discretion", but... such things can take quite larger consequences in case your character dies. If this happen, will she be "dead" and hence not playable for any other plot? Or just for the one where the event occurred?

About the Roleplay Academy... should every newcomer apply for scholarship there? Or is it something that is not required?

*takes a deep breath*
Out of questions for now *smile* Thanks for reading and... sorry if all these seemed strange or were already answered before somewhere... but the forum is quite big, and even after looking couldn't find a answer for them.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Shalynn
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: So... a few questions

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ace Darkfire on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:31 pm

Shalynn wrote:First off...
Dunno if this is the right place to ask them hehe, but since i didn't want to bother anyone in particular with some silly questions from a newcomer... i guessed this would be the best way to do it.

It is the Discussion and Information Forum, and the only way to get information (well, one of a few ways actually) is to ask a question or questions.

- About characters, character development and different "universes":
Can you use the same character for these? Even if it is on the same sort of time frame?
By this i mean... every thread/plot as it's own space, or are they all linked together? And hence every change you do to one, will affect the others?
My first guess from what i read would be that this is mainly on "player discretion", but... such things can take quite larger consequences in case your character dies. If this happen, will she be "dead" and hence not playable for any other plot? Or just for the one where the event occurred?

[Multiverse] profiles allow a character to be put into any number of universes/game settings with character tweaks to make said character fit. You can take this character, dead or alive, into any other game setting.

The [Multiverse] profile can rely on fairly basic information, and as the player takes the character into different settings, can amend the profile and add a sub-profile to the characters page for that particular setting.

About the Roleplay Academy... should every newcomer apply for scholarship there? Or is it something that is not required?

Recommended, sometimes necessary. If you have roleplaying experience, you don't really need to do it. If you need to brush up on Roleplaying (Either because you stopped for some years or whatever), it is recommended you go through it and get back into gear. If you're absolutely new to roleplaying, it would be a good idea to take a course in the RPA so you can learn what things to avoid doing and getting banned from roleplays, or getting marked for life at one RP Site and eventually having it spread to others.

Unfortunately, the RPA can only give the basics, as every roleplay is going to take something and do it totally different that what you learned won't apply, or apply much.
AceDarkfire's deviantArt page
Former RPGateway Admin

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ace Darkfire
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shalynn on Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:31 am

Thank you for the prompt reply :)
Quite glad to finally have those doubts cleared out..

Shalynn
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:51 am

For myself, I agree with Ace, the only thing I would add is that playing the same character across different threads could be keeping track of which game, which universe things happen and not allowing that to effect the same character in another game. This may not be a problem, us men find keeping track of such things rather more difficult than women do. In the end it comes down to player choice, I might use an identical core identity but give it different names to make it easier to keep track of.

As for questions, here is good but none of the staff object to PM's with questions in, in fact speaking personally I welcome them.

Grim

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.