Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Fiction Dictating Reality

Fiction Dictating Reality

a part of “Fiction Dictating Reality”, a fictional universe by RaptorThreeSix.

It's all real. Things that people once scoffed at are now faced with the concept that what was once Fiction is now dictating their Reality. Those pesky humans aren't entirely without their merits, though, and turnabout is still fair play.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Fiction Dictating Reality”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Fiction Dictating Reality

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:46 am

EDIT: If you are interested and want to keep up with things here (I'm guessing that things like access to PMs are restricted by time and activity), please feel free to PM me. To ensure proper direction of PMs, please put [FDR] first in the subject line. THANKS!!

EDIT 2: I've started a "RP wanted" thread, here, and the IC posting is going to be in the "Uncategorized Role Play" section here.

FICTION DICTATING REALITY

A Modern Fantasy RPG
Created by Raptor 36

It's all the Supreme Court's fault.

Those pesky High Priests of the Church of the Constitution were briefed by the two sides for a mere thirty minutes, minus some time that was taken for questions by the Justices' own desire for clarification. The decision was handed down in a few mere hours. It's the shortest decision on record, and it was unanimous. "It is the opinion of the Court that there is no reason why all vampires permanently residing in the United States should not be granted full and immediate protection as citizens of the United States. From this time hence, however, all vampires desiring to enter the United States will be subject to all applicable immigration laws." There had been no mention of such a case on the Supreme Court's docket; no warning when they released the decision along with all the rest.

Some are relieved: there doesn't need to be anything else added to that which polarizes the nation. Some are outraged: why is the Supreme Court condoning bloody murderers? Some are concerned: will this lead to only more crime for over-stretched and under-budgeted police forces? Some are confused: how will this affect me?

Few can see the future. No one knows anything about what's going on. It's completely new territory.

The Basics

• Overview. "Fiction Dictating Reality" is an RPG that will have an IC start date of 01 January 2000. All pop culture references should be appropriately referenced. For instance, don't be referring to 9/11 if IC hasn't progressed that far yet. There is no determination yet as to what will and will not make the cut as far as pop references go. Just do a bit of research if you're going to reference something pop-culture-esque IC.

• Activity. "Fiction Dictating Reality" has the intent of being a flowing story. One liners and short paragraphs does not a story make. I'd hate to have to dictate 'minimums'; I'd much prefer that the story you try to tell is so compelling that you want to post lots and lots. Don't be afraid to work with someone which leads me to...

• Godmodding. I highly encourage cooperation amongst players to create realistic and flowing dialogue, interactions and fight sequences. Some people will be comfortable with having people play their characters (I've had this happen to me before, especially with minor things like walking/talking), but do so with the player's approval.

• Post Style. "Fiction Dictating Reality" is supposed to be a flowing story, something that has a bit of quality to it. I particularly want to avoid posts that are just copy-pastes from a chat log. Don't be afraid to get everything you might want your character(s) to do in chat. Please do take some pride in your work and clean it up into viable prose.

• Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling. Use it properly, thanks!

The Details

• Locations: Anywhere, but let's keep it reasonable. I doubt there is a huge population of vampires in the steppes of Russia, or only one vampire in the small fishing village of Los Angeles (Bonus points to the first person to PM me with where I got that line from!). Also, eventually, the story and your character has to cross paths with at least one other character from somewhere else (and owned by someone else. It gets rather boring to play with oneself).

• Characters: I am going to highly discourage high-level power characters, at least at first. Mostly out of a desire to keep the story realistic, but also to keep people involved. Nothing spells certain doom for a game like everyone being the head honcho for their particular brand of whatever. It stifles creativity, originality, and desire to participate... not to mention desire to develop your character.

• Powers, Gifts and Abilities: These are going to be laid out formally later on, and will have only a bit of wiggle room. Unless you can present a very rational and straight forward reason for your character to have the ability that isn't in the list, I'd stay away from it. An example is flight: humans aren't Superman... we can't fly. However, vampires tend to be very strong, and they have the ability to play on perception: so they can appear to be doing something that they can't actually do.

• Characters, revisited: This is an original work of fiction. That said, there shouldn't be Lestats, Armands, Louis, Anita Blakes, Jean-Claudes, Richards, Nathaniels, Jacobs, Edwards, Bellas, Lost Boys, Lesbian Vampire Killers, Draculas, Renfelds, yadda yadda. Don't be afraid to use them to influence or inspire your character, but don't let your character succumb to those paltry cardboard cutouts! Be ORIGINAL!

• How to apply: Apply using the form that this group provides. It's a good start, and if you have any questions about what it should look like, feel free to take a peek at my character's bio. It's not really thorough though, and I'd prefer thorough for a proper application. If I think that the character will have traction in the RPG, I'll ask for an IC post.

The Races

• Humans. The basic people on the planet. 6.6 Billion of them are littered across the globe. Pretty self-explanitory. For the story, the basic laws of physics, biology, etc and all that apply. I'm going to hold back for the reasons cited above as far as any special abilities go.

• Vampires. They look like humans. They can talk like humans. To delve further:
    • They have to consume blood to fully survive, however. A nearly-non-communicable virus has altered their physiologies to such an extent that some simple proteins can only be absorbed through the consumption of the blood of most mammals. Foods can still be consumed but give nearly no nutritional value; drink (other than blood) is rarely worth the effort, but does help with maintaining hydration.
    • The normal acts of breathing, heart beat, blinking and other involuntary actions can be controlled through time and practice: don't expect to suddenly wake up and be able to go without breathing or having your heart beat. Other routine bodily functions operate much the same way, aside from the digestive tract. Vampires are also compromised by their near-total reliance on blood as a substitute for their mucus membranes: vampires do cry blood, and woe be to the vampire caught in a protest where the police are firing tear gas--because of the virus conversion, a vampire that is subjected to CS, Tear, MACE, or Pepper spray they cannot stop themselves from the normal reaction: breathing more. As they breathe more, their mucus membranes go into overdrive, and they will begin bleeding from the eyes, nose and mouth uncontrollably. Though unable to 'drown', the vampire will bleed out if untreated.
    • Vampires are extremely flammable.
    • Vampires' cellular structure, altered as it is by the virus, is capable of rapidly repairing damage to their bodies, provided they have enough access to the raw materials necessary--blood. The downside is that once they start taking damage, more serious damage becomes even easier to inflict and harder to repair. Wounds that result in brain damage or decapitation are universally and instantaneously fatal.
    • Vampires' eyes can manipulate light. Much like a laser, the energy and light (outside of the visible spectrum) can cause a human to become disoriented, lose track of time, or become hypnotized and therefore suggestible.
    • Vampires can control the sound of their voices, resulting in some similar effects to what their eyes can do, but at much greater range. These frequencies are in the Extra-Low Frequency (ELF) range, and though limited in the amount of information that can be sent through the signal, the human can be "prepped" (or brainwashed) into certain responses upon receipt of various signals.
    • The combination of the above two abilities can cause vampires to affect the perception of what they are doing. In simple terms, the vampires cause illusions, and so the humans are mislead to their actual capabilities.
    • Though I feel like it should go without saying, vampires do not sparkle in sunlight. Nor do they burst into flames. If older than about 1000 years however, they can develop severe acute-onset porphyria and expire.
  • Therianthropes. A more apt term than 'lycanthropes' or mere werewolf, etc. They still aren't fully appreciated:
    • Size: The laws of physics must be maintained: A 150lb man will result in a 150lb wolf. A 100lb woman will result in a 100lb cat.
    • The change is not tied to the moon, but in several groups this is still used as the one time a month to get together as a group.
    • Species limitations: It's a disease, carried by species in the scientific classification class of: mammal, marsupial, reptile and avians. Generally limited to the dominant species in the area. For instance, in New Orleans, the leading group is probably going to be alligator, but in Colorado, it might be the cougar. Though it has been reported, there are few examples of water mammals (weredolphins? Yeah, that'd be a bit hard on someone!)

The workings on how one is converted from human to either of these groups is something that I'm going to work on.
Last edited by RaptorThreeSix on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Advanced Support Operator
Oasis Security Group (International Division)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Fiction Dictating Reality

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cypher on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:04 am

You know what? I actually like this concept, and that's saying a lot, considering I've publically denounced vampire roleplays as "uncreative cardboard knockouts that are meant as obvious cash-ins riding on the coat-tails of the Cirque du Freak/Twilight/True Blood/Vampire Diaries phenomenon."

It gives me very District 9-esque vibes, and I like the possibilities of where this could go, so long as it isn't ruined. I see so much potential it honestly caught me off guard, and I'm pleased that it did.

Count me in.

~Cy
From the depths, I return!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Cypher
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 20thCenturyBoy on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:08 am

Oh, bloody hell yes! Count me in, guv'nor!
"Oow
Friends say it's fine, friends say it's good
Ev'rybody says it's just like Rock and Roll
I move like a cat, charge like a ram
Sting like a bee, babe I wanna be your man
Well it's plain to see you were meant for me, yeah
I'm your boy, your 20th century toy

-T. Rex, "20th Century Boy."

20thCenturyBoy
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nydie on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:40 am

I would definitely like to join. I have an old vampire character that I can dust off for the story.

Nydie
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:13 pm

Well, thank you all for your prompt replies! Right now it's 2300 and I really need to go to bed for the 0400 wakeup call tomorrow, but I've posted a character profile to this RPG's page already. Check it out, and see what's going on... more development to come!

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 pm

OK, so, I'd really rather not do this publicly, but I did just receive Nydie's character submission and can't do this via PMs for some reason.

Allow me to start out by saying I think you have a great level of detail for your character. It's well thought out and there are ways to bring her past and present together to affect her future. There are some issues that I'd like you to work through:

1. I edited this page with all the rules and guidance on the three races, so you may not have noticed them to take them into account. Garlic and wood aren't weaknesses much anymore, and sunlight won't affect a vampire until they're very old.

2. Description of the appearance of your character could use some fleshing out. You say she wears leather for protection. Might want to say what kind of leather, how does it fit, etc. How does she wear her hair? She's pretty, but she's always scowling... reminds me of the Shaun Mullins song that the girl would be a whole lot prettier if she just smiled once in a while.

3. The personality looks like you started typing something and then switched halfway to something else, so make sure that it's all there. Give examples of when she can be kind as opposed to this massive sourpuss that wanders alone.

Tighten that up and I'd be happy to approve your character.

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nydie on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Sorry about that. I was on a roll with her, but my husband kept yapping my ear off making me lose all train of thought. I'll finish it up tonight when everyone in the house is in bed so I can keep my thoughts on what I'm doing.

Nydie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:44 am

I'm sure that was all he was yapping! ;)

Anyways, that's fine, take your time.

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:54 am

OK! Shianne, you are hereby formally welcomed into the group! (that's to say that I just now noticed that you had updated your character's bio... heh, sorry)

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nydie on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:20 am

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the changes went through or not. The site was acting funny while I was making them.

Nydie
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cypher on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:45 pm

So as I keep saying, I'm going through a period where my amount of free time is in flux, and as such I haven't been able to roll out a character (although the concept is clearly defined in my head - anyone for an anti-vampiric "sin and hellfire" preacher/vampire hunter?).

The problem is that tomorrow I will be gone completely. As in, unable to access a computer all day. So I apologise in advance for the inconvenience and as such I hope to be able to have something by at least Monday.

Cypher
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 pm

That's fine. Can't wait to see what the verdict from God's "Representatives" is to the whole thing!

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:26 am

Please help me in welcoming another member to the fold: Lenora "Nore" Blackforrst, our second vampire character! Played by BleedingCrimson, our official numbers now stand at three!

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cypher on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Three and a half, I'll be starting soon.

Cypher
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TFairy on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:52 pm

I'll put a character up tomorrow night or Tuesday, if that okay. :]

I'm screaming I love you so

But my thoughts you can't decode.

TFairy
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:18 pm

That's fine for both!

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BleedingCrimson on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 pm

Thanks and I'm really excited to start, quick question though. Are we posting on the thread or on the RP tab?
All say, "How hard it is that we have to die" - a strange complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
~Mark Twain

BleedingCrimson
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:57 am

In the IC thread, not the tab. Until the tab posts in a descending order with the oldest up top, I'm going to hold off on that.

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jlb.cozmo on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:57 pm

hey, is it ok if I join? ^.^
"You must know how to lie before you could ever learn to tell the truth."
-Life is Beautiful by Sixx:AM

:P

jlb.cozmo
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:06 pm

As long as you are familiar with the rules and think you can post properly, sure! Submit your character when ready!

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!