Fiction In The Known Universe

a topic in Arts & Entertainment, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

What's the latest in the arts? Broadway? Hollywood?Let's talk Japanese animation! See also #anime.

Fiction In The Known Universe

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TomorrowsHerald on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:18 am

If you have joined this debate, I can at least rest assured that my bombastic topical title was successful, if nothing else. It is a "stratagem" as old as fleet street, employed in the present day particularly by internet news providers to entice readers.

As you might have guessed, this isn't a discussion about all fiction taking place anywhere in the universe. A story taking place on Mars, for instance, would invariably be a work of science fiction unless it revolved around an unfolding drama between the Curiosity Rover and a pile of rocks. While the limits of when science fiction are naturalized into the general category of 'fiction' is fascinating in itself, I have a different question to ponder at the moment.

What is the purpose of writing fiction based on the world as we know it?

As a role-playing community, I think discussing this question in terms of role-plays based in the world as we know it is a good shared medium of discussion. What is the source of enjoyment in recreating conditions similar to those that we as the Earth's residents most capable of thinking ourselves clever do onto ourselves in thought-creation what we presently experience in the physical manifestation of our existence? Is it a thought process designed to assume different points of views on the human experience? Mere wish fulfilment of dreams we consider out of our grasp but 'real' enough to crave and value? Is it more or less (as in more OR less) rewarding then fictional conceptions of the universe such as fantasy, science fiction and historical? (the recreation of the past is, in my view, also a setting based on a fictional universe)

Please share your thoughts on this matter. I have to admit to a certain degree of bias against current-world-fiction, so, I would be hard pressed offer a constructive opinion to get this topic rolling. That task I fear must fall upon the shoulders of you would be heroes.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TomorrowsHerald
Member for 5 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings World Builder Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!