Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism »

Players Wanted: Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution »

Final Fantasy VIII: SeeD (OOC)

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: Final Fantasy VIII: SeeD (OOC)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Tue May 26, 2009 10:04 am

2 more people, eh? Well, one and one person still considering, from the sounds of it. Still, looks like we're finally getting a little more attention.

Okie dokie, let's get to the responses you've all been waiting for, shall we?

Soul: Finally, someone who actually knows how use a tragic bio without Mary-Sueing a character into an Emo kid. Thank you. I like it. Unique, and the fact that his tragic past didn't turn him into an Emoing Sue is what really won me over. But you are missing a GF. That would be my fault, for forgetting to add GF to the Char Skellie, which I will do right now. Also, what Garden are you going to be from? You didn't specify in the profile.

Dalmar: There is a condition in the FF world that makes you allergic to restorative magic called zombification. So are you a Zombie? Lol, seriously, though, it sounds fine to me. But if you're going to lean more to black magic, why not (for coolness's sake) use the Dark Knight job? I'll bet you could incorporate Soul Eater into a special technique of some kind. And I don't mind you using Diablos at all. Just keep in mind what a prick he is. xD

If you want to be Eshtar, that's fine (in fact, Mina's char is from Eshtar if I remember correctly, or am I thinking of Standard's?). Thing is, if Eshtar had a Garden then it would stand to reason that Mina's character also go to said Garden instead of Trabia (unless there was some reason as why they wouldn't?). If you can clear that up with them then by all means be from an Eshtar Garden. Jut keep in mind you'll probably be on a different train to Balamb (all SeeD trainees must still take the final test and graduate at Balamb). Also, what kind of interaction would you be able to get with the others (who would be working from Trabia) if you'll be working from Eshtar?

Edit: I just checked and it was Alex (not Rin) who is from Eshtar. Hmm, if both are to be from Eshtar, perhaps that warrants an aquiantance between you two? Maybe even a reason as to why Alex is in Trabia Garden instead of Eshtar?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Xeynar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby souloe on Tue May 26, 2009 10:19 am

Laement: rwar :]

Standard: If you want justifications for the moves I have justifications. However, I am perfectly fine with accepting the magical explainations you mentioned. In fact, if we are using magical justifications you can expect me to pull out more moves than just the two. All within explainable limits of course though I'll probably get a run check here each time before I use it just so I won't get yelled at XP If I forget... well, you can yell at me...gently :]

Mozen: Did I forget? oops, I was thinking maybe Siren. As for Garden, I think I'll start at Balamb. Thanks.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

souloe
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue May 26, 2009 10:21 am

Yes, that does present a dilemma for me... I was not anticipating an Esthar Garden when I created Alex... hmm, this will be a tough one.
Any ideas, anyone?
Edit:
Soul - What were your own ideas about justification for the skills?

Oh, and Moze, I'm not taking too many liberties with guiding the other players, am I? I just want to make sure I'm not stepping on your toes.

O heart, lament not, for this world is only metaphorical.
O soul, grieve not, for this abode is only transient.

StandardFiend
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Tue May 26, 2009 10:36 am

Nah, don't worry about it. I appreciate the help. After all, you're the better people-person, remember? xD

Xeynar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue May 26, 2009 10:42 am

XD
You're doing pretty okay so far in that regard.

StandardFiend
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby souloe on Tue May 26, 2009 11:15 am

hmmm, I kind of like the magic justifications if I'm using it in this rp. But if you want to know. *ahem* ~prepares for long rant....um, I mean...monologue~

Here's a little history of the moves. They come from a unique fighting style called Onizan used exclusively by my battle-only character, Souloe Devonshka. (but I drag them into other rp chars anyways just cause I'm the user)

Translated literally as 'demon slash', this legendary style of fighting was originally developed for inhuman melee combat designed to counter the strongest magic wielding opponents. Within its vast library, there exist moves that requires years of inhuman training for simple mastery while others requires millenniums of deathly toil for mere execution. The most commonly used of these skills are the seven hidden arts known conventionally as the Seven Human Maxima.

With strength enough to subdue multitudes it is said that this was the perfect form of martial arts. Yet the true strength of the style lay in the years of toil for every move filling the user with exponential growth of strength, speed and experience for every mastery. But with the passing of the eons its legends were lost and the one man who inherited its strength became a wandering smith, they call him.... Devilsmith Devonshka.

Here's the explaination of the two moves itself.

Shingan: Known as the heart's eye the move is, in fact, just well trained senses. But with the training of onizan, the senses can be focuses to reach the level of hearing even heartbeats and muscle contractions at a distance. Due to that this move relies on everything except the eyes, though it would be a plus, it is more or less without blind spots.

Air Jump: Known as the art of height the move is, in fact, just a form of double jump. By thrusting one's feet down at a speed near mach one it is possible to create the sound barrier. Using that barrier, at its highest concentration, and using the techniques taught by the Onizan, it is possible to jump on the sound barrier in a similar fashion to if a user was jumping on solid ground. Due to the reality that it is not actually solid ground there will be some loss of efficiency during the process. Various techniques under the art have also been developed to override the difficulties.

Both...no, all of the Seven Human Maxima pushes the human limits to break common myths and perform feats that is normally considered theoretically, though not realistically, possible.

[edit:]
Standard: I suggest being originally from Esthar Garden unless you have a reason, be it history/story objectives/secret motivation/hidden agenda/etc, to originate from the other garden. Cause... I think having some of the recruits know each other, as opposed to everyone's a stranger, might create better dynamics in the story. Different plot potentials also open up with this extra chemistry.

souloe
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue May 26, 2009 1:23 pm

It seems to me that the magical justifications integrate better into the RP, so I'm glad you like them. But you've created something quite interesting there.

And it appears I have two choices: one, have Alex be from the Esthar Garden and redo my opening post in the IC; or two, keep my IC post the way it is and edit Alex's bio to have her be from somewhere else. I'm sort of leaning towards the former option, since as you said Alex and Dalmar's character could already be acquainted; perhaps even be friends or comrades.

But I'm going to wait until Dalmar posts a character and Mozenrath accepts it before I make any changes, since I'd hate to delete my opening post and type up a new one only to later discover that it was entirely unnecessary.

Edit:
If both Alex and Dalmar's character are originally from the Esthar Garden, then the interaction with the other characters could simply be that we worked so well as a team during the final exam that we are officially transferred to Trabia. (I'm assuming Zeke will be the squad leader and thus become the leader of our SeeD detachment as well, so it would make more sense for us to transfer to his Garden than the other way around; plus, I've made a map of Trabia Garden, not Esthar Garden :D).

And I'm going to remove my opening post from the IC, but save it into a document. That way, Mina can post as Rin without responding to me, and if it turns out Dalmar doesn't join then I can just put mine back in after her. I wouldn't want to make her edit her post if things were to turn out that Alex is on a different train.

StandardFiend
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Tue May 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Zeke doesn't necessarily have to be squad leader. Because there is no overall plot, there really isn't going to be an overall main character, if that makes sense. Leadership would be decided based on performance during the Final Test. For all we know, Zeke's leadership skills may prove crappy compared to someone else's. I would, however, like to keep things in Trabia... at least for the time being.

Xeynar
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Tue May 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Sweet! I love the Dark Knight idea and Soul Eater can be his alternitive to healing. I imagine it would cause some moral issues with his comrades as well.

The way I look at Gardens: When played FFVIII I saw the Gardens as specializing in certain areas. Galbadia was a military Garden and it's SeeDs most likly joined the ranks of the Galbadian Army. They were dissaplined and tactitical minded.
Trabia didn't have much of a role but Selphie came from there and she was more or less a spiritual person (she certainly had spirit anyway) Trabia also seemed like a calm soothing atmosphere. I don't know, I looked at them like a Tibeten retreat nessled deep in the moutins. The more Spiritual or Magicaly inclined would gain more from a Garden like this.
Balamb was pretty much a balanced Garden. Many of their students came from all over the world and their was no one specialty that they excelled in. Balamb was kinda like a place for 'Jak of all Trade' types or Mercenaries. They explored the world taking odd jobs here and there, some dangerous, others less so.

Esthar would be a Garden for the intelectual or creative mind. Esthar being as advanced as they are would have youth interested in tecnological fields, kinda like an MIT version of the Gardens.

Alex could be more intune with the spiritual side of things wanting to study more about magic and therefore be better suited for Trabia rather Esthar's Garden. Alex and Kryse (my character) could very well know each other, but perhaps only as aquaitences.

Dalmar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue May 26, 2009 3:41 pm

Alex doesn't really follow either of those paths. Garden was basically a foster home for her that her mother sent her to; she would have been sent the closest (and therefore least expensive) one. She would not have had a choice of which Garden to go to, nor would she have had the financial means to transfer to Trabia on her own even if she wanted to explore the spiritual world.

I would simply change her bio to have her from somewhere other than Esthar, somewhere close to Trabia, but there simply aren't any cities up there, unless she were from the Shumi village, but then the rest of her bio would not apply either. So that's why this is creating such a dilemma.

StandardFiend
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Tue May 26, 2009 4:07 pm

The last thing I want is for you to have to change your profile. I"m the new guy if my idea causes a conflict then I'll change it a bit but I haven't given up yet lol.

Ok how about a benefactor, hell it could even be Kryse's father. He's a combat instructor and would able to see that Alex's talents lean more to the magical or she is more gifted in an area suited for Trabia Garden. In the interests of a allowing his students to realize their true potential he aranges transfers to other Gardens including payment. He expects transfered students to keep their grades up and to perform well or he'll cut them loose. Don't worry he can afford it ;)

His father's name is Vincent Salmance btw

Dalmar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Tue May 26, 2009 4:20 pm

Ok I've been killing myself over this and it turns out it was for nothing! xD Yay!

Anyway, a Souleater Attack augmented with an HP Drain effect would be a perfect alternative to healing for Kryse. Problem is, there has to be a drawback otherwise such healing would be broken. Normally, I would say you have to Junction an HP DraIn spell to your attack to turn an otherwise normal attack into a Souleater Attack, and that each attack will cost one of said spell. The problem is, there is no existing HP Drain spell (in any FF). Shocking, but true. There is Osmose, but that only does MP, not HP. So... your only solution is to create an HP Drain spell that is exactly like Osmose only it works for HP. We can call it... I dunno... Vampire (lame, but it's all I got)? If you can think of something better, then by all means...

Xeynar
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Tue May 26, 2009 4:54 pm

Drain
Type: Arcane Magic
Game: FFXII
Effect: Transfer HP from target to caster. (I found it to be almost useless)
Drain was in other FFs as well but it may have only been used by enemies.
Edit:
Just checked my games. Drain was a Non Elemental spell in FFVI though was absent from FFVII and was also a spell in FFVIII. I checked Quistis(sp) if anyone had it it would be her. I put all the usless magics on her lol. I don't remeber if it was in IX or X, I only played them once.

Anyway how about this, since Theif is a class how I change Diablos' Mug ability to Life Steal or Soul Eater. The GF could be what makes it possible for him to use Dark Knight abilities since Diablos is a Dark GF.

Dalmar
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 pm

But at what cost? Things have to cost something in order to be balanced.

Xeynar
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Tue May 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Hmm... that's true even the Darkside ability comes at a cost.

The cost of using Soul Eater is...it can't be used on regular basis. The GFs give abilitys that have to be learned. Like Mug, say you have to gain 200AP to learn Mug, once you know it you can use it but there is no garantee it will work, however you still have it at your disposal. Soul Eater would work on the same principle meaning it has a chance of not working at all, but unlike Mug it isn't availiable to use right away. Instead Kryse would have to rest ( a nights sleep) or build up the ability again, much like learning it over again. Personaly I like the resting thing over having to learn it again. This would make it so it could only be used in only in the most dire situations. Much like his Finisher in fact it could be used to heal him after his Finisher, but there is no garantee it'll work. This would make Potions his normal method of healing.

Edit
I've been giving this some more thought and there is another form give and take for this but it's much darker. The cost of using an ability like Soul Eater could be damnation. Using an ability ike this could reek havoc on the mind if used to often. One could be consumed by darkness completly loosing themselves. The user would be presented with quite the gamble, use the ability to save your life but risk loosing your own soul. This path could make him a potential vilian. Of course his friends could help pull him from the abyss. Such ability could even become addicting furthering the chance of loosing simself. This could be an interesting path for Kryse.

Dalmar
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue May 26, 2009 9:08 pm

Well, I just thought of a solution. What if Esthar Garden was founded just within the last ten years? Then Alex could still be from Trabia and I would not have to edit anything at all. Does that sound alright?

StandardFiend
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dalmar on Tue May 26, 2009 9:16 pm

Works for me. Thanks for asking. I figure all in all you and Mozenrath have the final say.

Dalmar
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue May 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Alright, go ahead and post your profile then, eh? The IC is open and ready, so you can begin as soon as the character is accepted by Mozenrath. From the sounds of things that's not going to be a problem.

StandardFiend
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Tue May 26, 2009 10:22 pm

Yeah, just get your profile up. Any of the presented solutions would be fine. It'll just be up to you to pick one and roll with it.

Xeynar
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue May 26, 2009 10:51 pm

Okay, I reinstated my opening post, since it applies as-is again.

However, since Alex and Kryse are both from Esthar, both of the same age, and if what you said about his father is true, both of the same socioeconomic class (or relatively similar at any rate), then I would be perfectly willing to assume Alex and Kryse knew each other in early childhood, if you (Dalmar) are still interested in going that route. But I am not partial to either way, if you aren't.

StandardFiend
Member for 12 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!