Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Fishy Sticks: A History

a topic in The Artist's Cafe, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Have some artwork to share? Share it here — and feel free to ask for commissions!

Fishy Sticks: A History

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:06 pm

Well, hi! Most of you are already familiar with the fishy sticks I often hand out to new members. First off, I'd like to say that it isn't my idea.

The fishy stick tradition began in the late 1990's with a member of the "Elder Scrolls" forums named Captain Eldrad. At some point, he created the original fishy stick image:
Image and began handing them out to forum-goers who had done awesome things. Eventually, other people began to offer each other fishy sticks as well, and the purpose eventually changed from "You're awesome! Have a fishy stick!" to "Welcome to the Elder Scrolls Forums, newcomer! Have a fishy stick!" The Fishy Stick endured for quite a while by internet standards, even long after Captain Eldrad left the forum.

After a few years, the trend died out on that website. But I still remembered when I had joined up and gotten my first fishy stick, and the delighted look on the emoticons of other newcomers I had given them out to.

So, when I joined RoleplayGateway, I decided that the legacy of the fishy stick must live on!

At first I just gave out the standard pirate fishy sticks, but eventually this became kind of dull. So now I have several variations of the fishy stick, which I give out to new members either because it seems to fit them or out of random spazziness.

And so here it is: the ultimate fishy stick album!

Have a cartoony goth fishy stick!

Jango Fett says, "Have a fishy stick!

Have a lycanthropic fishy stick!
Image Yah, I didn't edit this one very well. I consider it one of my failures.

Have an angelic fishy stick!

Have a marsupial fishy stick!

Have a violent fishy stick!

Have a fishy stick, eh?

Have an imperial fishy stick!

Have a magical fishy stick!
Image Yes, the elf is from WarCraft and the runes are from The Elder Scrolls. That's just how it goes. By the way, the runes do actually say "Have a fishy stick."

Have a fishy stick from the depths of Oblivion!

Raistlin Majere says: Have a fishy stick!
Image I have to say, that after reading the first trilogy at my cousin's behest, I am not very fond of Dragonlance. Still, enough members of this site are that it warrants a fishy stick theme.

And that is all. More are to come, eventually. If you have a suggestion for another fishy stick, go ahead and suggest it--or make it yourself if that's your inclination.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Re: Fishy Sticks: A History

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhispersofMe on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:16 pm

What about a My Chem or Green day fishy stick? I know aolt of people who like them
Molly: Screw you Cookie
Jimmy: Sorry Mols that's my job ^.^

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

WhispersofMe
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby albel cigaro on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:16 pm

I two will now continue the legacy of the fishy stick. It's actually much better than most other internet memes out there.
DO NOT WANT ...my post to be rated.

If you feel like critiquing any post that I make please do it though PM as I find it much more informative than a simple number

albel cigaro
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MEGAcya on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Wow!! So...many...fishy sticks!! *_*
the epic girlies,,
{â™Ĩ} lari && lauren && becky && laurie && illy && sessi {â™Ĩ}

MEGAcya
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:49 pm

WhispersofMe wrote:What about a My Chem or Green day fishy stick? I know aolt of people who like them

Hmm.

Do you know where I could find a higher-quality version of this music video? There's that one scene towards the end where Saint Jimmy is walking through a grocery store throwing potato chips into the air that would be perfect. I can curl his hands around a pasted-in picture of a fishy stick, and label the bag he's holding as "Fishy Sticks!" But when I try to take a screenshot of this, it comes out all blurry.

It's actually much better than most other internet memes out there.

That gives me an idea.....I'll do the Green Day one first, though.*

*but I'm still thinking about my other idea. Mwahahaha....

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:19 pm

These are neat ... and fun :]

But sadly, I have no ideas :C

Maybe I will ... someday.

iamsheena
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:24 pm

As a throwback to the first anime I ever watched, I think you should do a Sailor Moon Fishy Stick picture. There are plenty of pictures of Sailor Moon holding up her wand or whatever. That should be easy to replace. Or eve a group picture where all of the scouts are holding a Fishy Stick.

And what about a Zelda and/or Link Fishy Stick of some kind? Or Samus? Or Mario?!

Just naming my favorite things. =D

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, and looking at the pictures. I can't wait to see more!
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Driney on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:32 pm

For the one that says 'I promise it's made out of fishies': No I tell you it's made out of 'Soylent Green'!! (It's a weird 70's movie. No I wasn't around then.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Oh! Oh! I just had a great idea. How 'bout a kitten or puppy or horse or something with the fishy sticks. Like a cute kitten holding a fishy stick in it's mouth or something.

Driney
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:48 pm

Huzzah!

And this is the part where I admit to doing no research. Does Sailor Moon take place in space? I'm assuming so--isn't she saving the galaxy from aliens or something? If not, just enjoy the randomness of it.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby albel cigaro on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:48 pm

You should have phil and lill from the rugrats fighting over a fishy stick and have some one else in the backfround say "Stop your bickering and just give the newbie the fishy stick already!!!"

albel cigaro
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:55 pm

Driney wrote:For the one that says 'I promise it's made out of fishies': No I tell you it's made out of 'Soylent Green'!! (It's a weird 70's movie. No I wasn't around then.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

I love that movie.

It's people. Fishy stick is made out of PEOPLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
And then of course, a bloody hand holding up a fishy stick.....

Wait, what? No! I won't tell people that the fishy stick is that!

Oh! Oh! I just had a great idea. How 'bout a kitten or puppy or horse or something with the fishy sticks. Like a cute kitten holding a fishy stick in it's mouth or something.

Hmm. I already have the kangaroo filling in for the "cute animal" position.

Dang it, I don't have time for this many fishy sticks! Who would've thought that sevel people could come up with more ideas than one person? :lol:

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:01 pm

Lmfao, Sailor Moon doesn't take place in space. XD!!!

That just makes that one all the funnier though. It's like...WTF?! In SPACE?! LOLZ

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:42 pm

Dang it. Wikipedia even makes it sound like it's in space.

What ever happened to the good old days, when a guy could talk about a show without ever actually seeing that show? No one ever thought Gunsmoke took place in space, and everybody knew Star Trek did. :(

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Lmfao. I mean, they may zoom through space at some point, as each scout represents each planet, and I think Sailor Moon's home was on the Moon, but very little is in space. XD

You should make a Queen Elizabeth fishy stick, and a Buddha one and a Zeus one. Have to be multicultural, right?

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Driney on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Hehe, I was bored. I hope you don't mind. I used picnik to make it look like a drawing. I didn't make it! Only edited it to my will and added words.

Driney
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Very cute....and very scary.

You're a lolcats guy then?

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selothi on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:30 am

Thank you Village Alchemist for continuing the legacy of the Elder Scrolls Fishy Stick ! (I hope for your sake you found the Morrowind in-game book detailing the existence of Fishy Sticks in Tamriel) Great job, I was chuffed when I received my first fishy stick upon joining an Elder Scrolls forum, ad the fun is great. Keep up the good work !

PS: I like the Oblivion Gate one best !

Selothi
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Driney on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Village Alchemist: First of all girl. Second of all I absolutely hate lol cat. I think they are vulgar and silly. Partly because I detest 'chat speak'. But I was quite bored. And I am sorry if I insulted anyone who likes 'lol cats'.

Driney
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!