Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Florence, city of art and riches

a topic in Gundam Wing: Continuing Legend, a part of the RPG forum.

Original GWing Storyline, now AC 202.

Florence, city of art and riches

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lucian Utrecht on Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:29 pm

OOC: This is a new experience for me (I've never formally posted on a board before, but I hope my skills will carry over), so please do not be too harsh with me.
Lucian rested his cheek against the bar countertop, his long blonde hair splaying over his cheek. As he took deep breaths, the hair tickled his upper lip, but he didn't feel like moving it. He was too drunk to move it. He stared at the grimy glasses lining the bar counter behind the bartender, wondering why they weren't washed. Would they ever get washed? And in that instant, he felt incredibly sad for the glasses; what a drab life, never being washed.

Oh, who was he kidding. He was drunker than a skunk.

Lucian pushed himself off the counter and rubbed his green eyes, and then laid down a few bills for the drinks. He probably didn't tip well enough, but he didn't care; Lucian began to stumble out of the bar into Florence, and the winter air closed around him like an iron grip. He shuddered and huddled into his coat, shaking his hair out to shield his face from the cold. He was sobering up quickly, and thank god for that; he had gotten mugged a few nights ago in a drunken stupor, and he was still pissed. Had he been sober, it never would have happened.

But then again, in Lucian's life, everything was subjective.

He knew he needed to get to the colonies. Work was in the colonies. What the hell did this wasteland of a planet have to offer him? Why, he was in one of the greatest monuments to man's acchievements, Florence, Italy, and yet all he could think was 'How could man be so limited?'

But the colonies were a chance, an opportunity. For a new life, a new acchievement. Earth was useless. Earth was dead.

Lucian wandered off into the night, pulling his collar up around his neck. Soon, soon...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lucian Utrecht
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lucian Utrecht on Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:49 am

OOC: I posted something this morning, and it didn't show up. How strange. Oh well.

Lucian rolled out of bed, running his fingers through his platinum hair tiredly. He stood up and yawned, which soon turned out to be a bad mistake. He ran for the bathroom, feeling his hangover slam into him. He prayed to the porcelain goddess yet another morning for about fifteen minutes, and then he felt better. This happened every morning; stretch, yawn, sick, throw up, fifteen minutes, better, as was his wont. He looked out at the city of Florence from his dingy window; at the world. He briefly wondered if this was the way colonies viewed the whole planet of Earth; dirty, ugly, misshapen? Perhaps so. But he knew he was going to make it there.
The heat began to kick on, and Lucian felt it a welcome relief from the cold of winter. If only every person could be warmed simply by pressing a button or lowering a dial. Lucian began to dress and prepare himself to enter the colonies. He didn't know how exactly he was going to get there, but he was. He knew he had to get off this planet. Some way, some how, he would get off.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lucian Utrecht
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJHunterKiller on Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:19 am

Val was sitting in a small cafe on the street, normally he'd be eating outside, but it was too cold, even for his liking on this day, so instead he sat inside. An empty plate sat in front of him which originally held a croissant and a jam made by the owners daughter, and an almost empty mug of hot chocolate sat directly beside it. Val stared out the window, it was bright outside, the winter sun reflecting off the snow, like a gleaming paradise. He thanked the waitress as she took the empty plate away and looked back out the window. Zel said he's meet someone here that could help them, could, Val never liked the sound of that word. And to top it off, Val didn't have a name, picture, location, anything to go on.

"Yeah Zel. This is a big help. Well might as well head on home."

He stood up and finished his drink and dropped some money on the table, enough to cover the check and a nice fat tip for the waitress. Walking outside the first thing he did was pull out a cigarette and light it. Squinting and looking around, he took a deep breath and headed back towards the hanger where the Hyperion and it's pilot waited.

SSJHunterKiller
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJHunterKiller on Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:31 pm

Val walked slowly, taking in what little sights there were on this cold winter morning. Val stepped to the side as a pair of little kids blandly ran by him in gleeful cheer. He nodded and smiled to the parents that followed close behind them. Stopping and turning around, Val looked off into the distance and his sight fell on the top of the main Cathedral.

"Why the hell not? Not like I've got anything better to do."

After about twenty minuets, Val reached the main door and stopped, he put out his cigarette and entered the main hall. It was almost empty except for a few elderly people sitting in various rows with their heads bowed and a pair of tourists looking up at the ceiling. Val seemed out of place here, with the smell of cigarette smoke still lingering on him, a look on his face that made him look like he had way too much to drink the night before and the long sweeping black Trench Coat. Val found one of the confession booths and entered. Closing the door behind him, he took a seat.

"Bless me father for I have sinned."

"It is ok my child, we are human, we are not meant to be perfect, and we can never be. But as long as we trust in the Lord our God and are truly sorry for what we have done, the good Lord will forgive us. Now my son, what have you done?"

"The problem is father, I am not sorry for the sins that I have committed, well not the ones I've come to talk to you about. I know they are in the past, but I believe they will be in the future as well. I have killed father, countless people. Killed for a leader that doesn’t even know who I am. And there will be killing in the near future as well, I can feel it. Feel it in my blood father, it boils."

"Even killing can be forgiven by the Lord my son, especially if it is during a war. All live ends, and sometimes, it is up to people, not the Lord, as to when another’s time has come."

"But not all the people I've killed have been during a war, though they have all been for the cause of the war. Like I said, I am not sorry about any of them."

"His name is Lucian. He wishes to go to the colonies, and from what I can tell, will do anything to get there. He had a rough night last night, he'll be up and around in a bit. Just wait, you'll be able to find him, or he will find you."

"Thank you....father. Though next time couldn't you do this in a different way?"

"Hey, sometimes this information isn't easy to get. And well, I like passing it on to you when you least expect it."

Val sighed and stood up. Shaking his head the pushed open the door and walked down the main isle out of the cathedral.

"Wait huh? Great, just what I enjoy doing."

SSJHunterKiller
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraphina Alighieri on Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:46 am

Lucia pulled herself out of the warm bed and drug herself to a warm shower seeking desperately to shake the seeping cold of Florence from her bones. Another morning another trip to the archives. Her mind was not on the usual routing of braiding her hair, getting dressed and applying make-up. She had not been able to shake the terrible feeling that all of this was going to end

"A trip to the Santa Maria del Fiore', sounds good on such a dismal day

she grabbed her crucifix off of the bathroom counter, and placed the gold chain against her olive skinned neck, her long thin fingers nimbly worked the clasp.

"Alright Lorenzo de Medici, here I come"

She grabbed her coat and headed out into the Florentine winter, closing the door on her small one bedroom apartment. The Piazza Duomo was a short walk from her home, but the cold quickly bit into her and the Red brick dome was made an even more welcome sight. The warmth of the frescoes helped to lift the chill as she moved towards the crypt of the Medici. She stopped before the great marble edifice built by Michael Angelo. The soft whispers of prayers danced across the air, a soft song of devotion. Her mind wandered to a spring time three years ago, when the whole of Florence Blossoms like Botticelli's "The Rites of Spring". Her head spun as the sound of a confessional door slamming shut punctured her dreamy state. Her eyes followed the man the walked out of the cathedral, hating him, briefly, for disturbing her reverie.

Seraphina Alighieri
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJHunterKiller on Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:18 am

It took Val a few seconds to realize it, but he noticed that a girl had given him sort of a disgusted look at he left the confessional booth. Normally he wouldn't have cared one way or another, but after what Zel had just told him.

"That couldn't be him, or her as the case may be. Could it? Damn you Zel, you'd think that I'd get better information from you after all these years."

Looking down to the not even half finished cigarette in his hand Val sighed, took one last long drag from it then dropped it on the ground and stepped on it. Letting out his breath Val watched the smoke from his lungs float into the air and vanish before turning around and heading back into the cathedral. He stopped at the door and looked around. There were only two difference from when he had entered the first time about half an hour ago. The tourist couple had moved to a different location to get a better look at the ceiling and the girl was sitting alone towards the front pew, near where the confessional booth was. 'Maybe she's just mad that I accidentally slammed the door?' Val thought. 'But it didn't seem to bother anyone else. Of course there's a good chance no one else that's here for prayer could hear the door.' He chuckled slightly to himself and coughed gently before heading towards the front of the cathedral. He walked past the girl and took a seat in the empty pew in front of her, a few spaces off to her left. Not close enough to pose any kind of threat, suggestion, or intention, but close enough to get her attention, he hoped anyways. Val let out another slight cough before he spoke.

"So, what brings you here today? You don't seem like one who would come here for forgiveness. Or maybe I'm wrong about you, maybe your just like me? Whatever the reason, I'm sure it's good enough."

Val slid forward a bit so he could lean back, then propped his feet up on the pew in front of him. He closed his eye and leaned his head back a bit, not sure whether to expect an answer or a slap, either way it was alright. This won't have been the first time that he had been slapped by a lady in church. Only difference is this one wasn't a nun, at least, not from the looks of her.

SSJHunterKiller
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraphina Alighieri on Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:53 am

Seraphina Leaned her head back on the he pew behind her as she heard the footsteps of the man echo away into the distance as he left. Again she let herself think of a spring three years ago, as a freshman at the University Of Padua, and in love. She fell again into the sensations of warmth and intimacy. And again came the question, why do you still wear the cross of a shattered faith. Tears began to form in her eyes. She swallowed back the pain, just as she was jolted out of her reverie by a mans voice.

"So, what brings you here today? You don't seem like one who would come here for forgiveness. Or maybe I'm wrong about you, maybe your just like me? Whatever the reason, I'm sure it's good enough."

She was so taken aback that she sat straight up and stared directly at the back of the mans head.

"Scusa Singore, do I know you?"

She said, quickly wiping the remnant of a tear from her eye.Slowly the realization that this was the man she had glared at ash e walked out of the confessional booth, a wave of embarrassment passed over her, gently touching her olive skin with pink.

"Forgive my rudness, signore, I am just not used to strange men approaching me. I do not seek forgivness," yet, "I come for the Medici."

Seraphina Alighieri
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJHunterKiller on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:53 am

A slight smile crossed his face as she spoke. So he wasn't going to get slapped after all, this day was looking better and better.

"No, you don't know me, and I don't know you. But I am looking for someone. Unfortunately, I have no idea who this person is, what he looks like, or even if this person is a he. For all I know it could be a female. All I know is that he or she has a desperate wish to see the colonies and is willing to do work while on the colonies so long as he, or she can get there."

Val reached into his pocket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and put one hi his mouth. He even had the lighter out of his pocket before he remembered where he was. He cursed softly to himself and slipped the cigarette back into the pack and the lighter back into his pocket.

"So you're here for the Medici are you? You a relative, friend, worshiper............or are you intentions more, hostile?"

After he finished speaking he reached his arms back and rested his elbows on the back of the pew. After a few seconds of silence he turned his head so he could look at her out of the corner of his eye. Truthfully he wasn't sure that she had run off while he was speaking, but she was still there.

After looking at her for a few seconds, Val leaned his head back and looked up at the ceiling. It really was beautiful, a masterpiece. It was sad, that nobody had the time to stop and appreciate the endless hours of work that people must have put into creating places like this.

SSJHunterKiller
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraphina Alighieri on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:03 pm

She watched the man in front her, determined not to be caught of guard, as he stared intently at the ceiling. Her eyes narrowed as she thought of the violence of years past. She caressed the crucifix at her throat begging for patience and understanding.

"Signore, I am certain that I am not the person you are looking for, but I do hope that you find who you are looking for".

She bit her lips to hide the old hurt.

"The ceiling is truly magnificent. Donatello contributed to its beauty as well as others. I come here often the Medici helped fund its building. Scusa, I get a head of myself, I am Seraphina Alighieri, I work for the Dutch Institute of Art History, and as we all know the Medici were great Patrons of the arts."

Again with the rambling, she thought to herself, I should head to the Archives soon, but Mio Dio, it feels good here in the warm surrounded by beauty. She relaxed into the wooden pew, keeping her gaze fixed on the man's head in front of her.

"As for my attraction to the Medici, Signore, it is both professional and personal. You do know who Dante Alighieri was?"

Seraphina Alighieri
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJHunterKiller on Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:18 pm

"The ceiling is truly magnificent. Donatello contributed to its beauty as well as others. I come here often the Medici helped fund its building. Scusa, I get a head of myself, I am Seraphina Alighieri, I work for the Dutch Institute of Art History, and as we all know the Medici were great Patrons of the arts."

Val nodded slight as she spoke to show he was listening. So she wasn't the person huh? Oh well. Maybe he could stand to hang around for a few days, if she was going to be here that is. 'After all, she is very attractive.' Val thought.

"I must apologize, I forget my manners. My name is Val Thrall. And I apologize if I interrupted whatever you were doing."

Val let out another slight cough and turned slightly so he could look at her directly.

"He was poet, Dante Alighieri, and an ancestor of yours, if I was to take a wild guess."

Val looked into her eyes as he awaited an answer, fairly sure that he was past the point of being slapped, but right now he didn't care.

SSJHunterKiller
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraphina Alighieri on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:02 pm

"You didn't interrupt anything at all, Signore Thrall. And you are right about Dante, and yes he was an ancestor. I am doing research to see of the Medici protected his sons from the Blacks, before Cosimo took power."

She looked to floor to avoid the Val Thrall's gaze, as she wrung her hands in her lap

"I haven't been looked at like that for a long time," she thought as her eyes wondered over the marble floor.

"I hope you find who you are looking for, Signore, but I must get to the Institute and it is quite the walk."

She stood up and walked away, taking time to turn around and wave at him politely, before walking out into the cold Florentine rain. SH e pulled her coat tight around her and proceeded to walk to the Vaile Torricelli.

She shook her hair off as she walked into her office. A red headed grad student sat at a desk with her hand holding up an envelope

"Bonjorno, Seraphina, this is from the Maestro."

"Grazi, Lucia. Any calls for me?"

"No, another quiet day. Where are you off too after this?"

"The Cappelle de Medici, provided the Maestro doesn't have other plans."

As she walked to her office she tore open the envelop. Inside was a ticket to Venice and her instructions for her next assignment

[i]Singora, Alighieri,

I fear that our collection of photos from the 20th century of the Basilica San Marcos is deteriorating. These are our only pictures of the basilica as you know the other were destroyed in the war. I would like you to go to San Marcos and take pictures of the area and the square around it on one of the departments new cameras so that they can be preserved digitally. Enclosed are your tickets and your Hotel reservations i am sorry for the short notice but this is imperative as our restorers hesitate to scan the old pictures into a computer.

Grazi, Maestro.

She Looked down and on her desk sat a camera she scooped it up and shoved it into her pocket with her travel orders.

"Mio Dio! Lucia, cancel any and all appointments that I may have, I am off to Venice."

"Si, have a good time Seraphina."

Seraphina charged out of her office and glared at Lucia

"Why can't the man just call? Such an eccentric how did he ever make it to the head of the institute." She thought to herself as she stepped out into the rain to hail a cab.

"Piazza Duomo,"

"Si Singora

She paid the cabbie to wait as he ran in and packed.

"Two days ought to do it

She hopped back into the cab and went to the Rail station, and proceeded to her train. She sat down and relaxed into the seat, and promptly fell asleep listening to the rain, before the train even pulled out o the station

Seraphina Alighieri
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJHunterKiller on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:33 pm

Val watched as she left the cathedral. He smiled as she stopped and turned back to wave. He watched until she was completely out of sight and faced back towards the front of the cathedral. After sitting there for about thirty minuets he stood up and left the cathedral. He stepped out into the open air and looked up into the sky as the rain began to fall down from the sky. He took this opportunity to quickly light a cigarette before it got to damp to do so. He stood there for a few minuets, inhaling and letting the rain soak his hair. The rain bounced off his trench coat as he stood there. After he finished the cigarette he dropped the butt on the ground and walked off into the rain.

"Well, it looks like my search continues. Too bad it wasn't her though. Would have been nice. She sure is beautiful. Wonder what the odd of running into her again would be, that'd be nice. Oh well."

With that, he put his hands in his pockets and slowly strolled off towards the airport, hoping to find a cab along the way, after all, it's a long walk.

SSJHunterKiller
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJHunterKiller on Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:00 pm

Several days and somewhere around ten packs of cigarettes after Val decided to stay, he still had not come across Seraphina Alighieri. Too bad, he had really hoped he would. Val let out a sigh and closed his eyes. He was laying down on the king sized bed in the hotel room. Val smiled slightly as he looked around the room of the lavish hotel room. Since he was going to be away from any sort of military like base, Val decided he was going to spend it in luxury. So he found the most luxurious place he could and checked in.

It was a beautiful room, with a balcony looking out into the city streets with long flowing white curtains hanging from the curtain rod over the balcony door. It was an almost perfectly square room, with the bathroom offset in its own room. The walls were stone, but there were reproductions of famous works of art on every wall in every room. The room Val was staying in was apparently the Davinci room. On one wall was the Annunication, on another was The Last Supper, the Mona Lisa gazed at him from the third and the Baptism of Christ covered the final wall. There was a standing closet that sat one corner of the room for coats and jackets, two lush suede chairs sat near the middle of the room facing a small TV with a table between them. The bed was the only other thing in the room.

It was nice to get away fro a while, but Val knew that he'd have to return to reality eventually. He wasn't meant for this soft lifestyle, though that didn't mean he couldn't stop to enjoy it every now and then. With that thought Val groaned, he didn't feel like going back yet. He lay there for a few for minuets then rolled off the bed and onto his feet. Val headed for the bathroom, pulling of his shirt and tossing it back onto the bed. Val turned on the water and waited until it was just the way he liked it. Once it was there he finished undressing and stepped into the shower. This was what he needed at the moment. A nice, steaming hot shower, Val allowed the steaming hot water to pound off his chest. After several minuets he put his head under the water. Now the water fell onto the back of his head. Some ran down his back and some ran down the sides of his face. Val watched as the water swirled around in the drain, kind of like his life, it was all going down, and there was nothing he could do about it. Val let out a deep sigh and closed his eyes.

SSJHunterKiller
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.