Forest of the Fall: Blood Oath

a topic in Orsa of Terminus, a part of the RPG forum.

The lull in the war has ended, and the Orsa of Terminus is on the rise once more. Will the battle hardened Patronus remain strong, or fall under the growing might of this renewed threat? A mature roleplay. This forum is one large roleplay within a set world and designated story lines.

Forest of the Fall: Blood Oath

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 pm

(Post co-written by Script and Tiko)

Walking through the Forest of the Fall as a light drizzle danced down from the clouds overhead to drip from the leaves of the trees in a peaceful percussion of pattering, one would be forgiven for forgetting momentarily the twisted inhabitants and dangers it held. Though in the night it was the picture of a horror story, in the day it seemed as pleasant as any other forest, albeit one permanently overcast. The two wood elves were making their way through the trees at a steady pace, a few hours already behind them. Niv's trail was well hidden, but for a tracker as experienced as Ruan, not well hidden enough.

The two had yet to encounter any dangerous wildlife, or void creatures, though that was bound to change before long. His eyes scanning the forest for potential threats, Dorian decided to break the long-lasting silence from his position at the rear. "So, you and Niv know each other well?" he asked.

“Well enough. We have been on a few scouting missions together, he's good at what he does,” Ruan replied distractedly as he squatted down, brushing a hand over some fallen foliage. It was with a keen eye that he caught notice of the scuff mark on an unearthed tree root that had been trod upon.

"That all?" Dorian raised an eyebrow, "He gave me the impression you were better acquainted than that. Solid pals, no less. He's certainly fond of you."

“I don't like this,” Ruan remarked as he stood back up. “That storm is going to be on us soon. We'll lose the trail, but he has at least four hours on us still.”

Noting the pointed return to business, Dorian glanced up at the sky, "We're probably best just finding some shelter for until it dies down. We should be able to pick the trail up again when it's over, even if it slows us down. He'll gain ground on us, but once we find the trail from after the storm, we'll start gaining on him again." The silver-haired elf glanced around, "If we head a short way north from here there's a ridge we can probably find a cave to hunker down in."

“Alright, lead the way.”
I've moved on. If anyone stumbles on any of my old roleplays or wants to hit me up for nostalgia sake, feel free to shoot me an e-mail me at RPGTiko@gmail.com or hit me up on http://www.storytellerscircle.com. Good luck RolePlaygateway.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader

Re: Forest of the Fall: Blood Oath

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

(Post co-wrriten by Script and Tiko)

The storm outside was grim, having swept up in what seemed like moments, rapidly shifting from a drizzle to a full-on downpour, thunder roaring through the skies and lightning flashing angrily. The clouds only added to the obscuring of the sun, leaving the forest dark and gloomy, shifting the evening twilight to full on darkness.

With a small fire flickering away inside the cave where they had taken shelter, Dorian sat lounged against the stone wall, peering out at the falling rain. Though he looked relaxed, his sword was beside him and ready for anything that came out of the dark. "We'd best hope your friend has the sense to get to shelter himself. There's worse things that come out during these storms than thunder and lightning." he mused, eyes flicking over to Ruan before returning to the entrance, "What sort of horror stories do you have from the mountains, ranger boy? We've got giant spiders, plants that'll eat you whole and bears that could give a dragon a run for their money. That's not to mention the void-beings around every corner. The void-witches are the worst. All the nightmarish exterior with the added bonus of blowing your head off with magic." The hunter grimaced.

"Dragons? I thought they were extinct," Ruan remarked with an arch of his brow. "We haven't heard tale of dragon sightings in... well longer than I have been alive."

Dorian shrugged, drawing his legs up to lean onto them and gaze into the fire. "You get the comparison, though. They've not been gone so long that we've forgotten them."

“Shame. A few of those around might help turn the tables,” Ruan replied wryly. “The biggest animals that you will find out our way are probably the mountain shrikes. There's a group that have been experimenting with taming the beasts, to broaden our scouting capabilities, but they haven't been successful yet.” Ruan shrugged. “The land around Tai'emroth isn't very habitable, we have more trouble with the voidlings. The city has been under siege for as long as anyone can remember.”

Nodding thoughtfully, Dorian glanced up to face the ranger, "I've only heard a few stories about Tai'emroth, and even those it was mostly brief mentions. You're the first contact we've had for a good few centuries, excepting the Mira. I think some of us had forgotten there was a world beyond the forest at all. I suppose we must be considered low priority by the Sealed One, we largely only have to deal with wandering, aimless void-things. No armies or sieges." He paused, tilting his head slightly in consideration, "What's it like living in a big city? I imagine it's a lot ... safer feeling? Big walls to take refuge behind, an army..." Dorian trailed off, shrugging.

“It's just a place, like any other I guess,” Ruan replied.

Dorian laughed, grinning at the ranger, "Man of few words, aren't you?" he said, "See me, I like to talk a lot. You might have noticed. It helps me keep my spirits high, you know? Friendly conversation is hard to come by in the field."

“It's not that, it's just that there isn't much to tell. It's a city, with big walls like you said. I probably have spent more time on the trail than I have in the city,” Ruan explained with a shrug. “You should get some rest while we can, I'll take first watch.”

The hunter raised an eyebrow, "I'll take that as a 'be quiet' shall I?" he teased, "If you insist, ranger boy. You can have your stoic silence. I'll shut up and try not to distract us from any more Mira ambushes." Dorian shook his head, leaning back and staring up at the flickering shadows on the roof of the cave.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!