Freaky Freewrite Friday

a topic in The Writer's Lounge, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

A place for original short stories, fanfiction, essays, and the like.

Freaky Freewrite Friday

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby mombie on Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm

What is freewriting? Well, freewriting is essentially a braindump of words. If you need to look this up, here is a great information piece about the importance of freewriting. Essentially, I will provide a topic in some way, shape, or form - this can be a word or a picture. I will try to do this on a weekly basis. The goal is to just dump your creative brain all over the place, no matter how silly or whatever it might be. It's supposed to not make sense. This will help you dump out your thoughts, and you might even get an idea or two out of it! This isn't EXACTLY freewriting, which is really more of a process of writing out a few ideas, then picking a word from those sentences and doing it again and again, I feel like it will provide a feeling of freewriting.

The Rules
  • don't think, just type whatever comes into your mind
  • write for at least 5-10 minutes straight
  • do not force anything because it's not supposed to be organized
  • grammar doesn't matter at all
  • write down every idea that comes to your head, even nonsensical ones
  • keep your hands moving - don't stop
  • time yourself
  • don't be shy! Have fun
  • if you come up with a cool idea from all of this, share it!

Here is an example of a freewrite

It's not friday, but I will open up a topic anyway!!!

You have landed on one of the planets in our solar system, and all avenues for communication with Earth has been lost. What happens now?
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder

Re: Freaky Freewrite Friday

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Wed May 13, 2020 5:24 pm

5 Minute Freewrite

So here we are, I don't know why I am even in space to begin with. maybe i am an astronaught. or maybe this is some kind of movie about being lost in space. I don't know. How many planets are there in the solar system? Poor pluto. I miss pluto. What about.... I don't know. There is nothing left to do right now other than to just find a planet to land one. What kind of planet should I land on? Obviously it has to be something made up of rock. you know, i barely passed astronomy class so I don't even know which ones are made up of rock. I only know that jupiter has a big red spot for an endless storm. How crazy is that even? How crazy is anything about space? Maybe I need some help. I would use google but I have to keep typing so let's land on jupiter. Oh no, one of my friends just got sucked into some kind of storm. What was that red spot again? I think it is a hurricane so we will just go with that. Now I am by myself and I don't have anyone to talk to. Boy this sucks a lot. Someone help me because now I have no friends because they didn't listen to me. they must have failed astronomy too. it's a pretty hard class. I thought learning about space would be easy - you know, planets and stars and stuff. but no, it's not. just like that time that i took oceanography because i was pregnant and needed an easy class. oh, it was not easy. i am surprised i passed it. who knew that there was so much to know about oceans. anyway back to space. well, my friend is gone and i have no way back to earth. I suppose that I will just die. good bye earth, it was a little nice knowing you. i guess.

An idea that I got from this is: The year is 3052 A.D., and Mars is just now opening up its first attempt at colonization. Everything has been set, and all they need is their experimental population to begin living there. A shuttle carrying one-hundred passengers to settle on Mars for the experimental phase of the Mars Residential Project takes a turn for the worst. Since Jupiter, now having googled it, is made up of gas, we obviously can't have the story land there. However, we can have the story begin on the otherside of Mars, which is not yet built for residency. Over 80% of the passengers die after the crash-landing, all communications are lost, and now they have to figure out a way to brazen this unknown territory and find the MRP zone.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Here is your picture. I should have posted it Friday, but I needed a serious screen break after completing 5 finals online this week. Remember: all you really need to do is take five to ten minutes, 15 at the most (without stopping or taking your fingers from the keyboard), to just write out whatever comes to your head! It really does relieve writer's block.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 am

10-minute freewrite

I should have had coffee before starting this off because the coffee pot just got done but here I am doing a freewrite. yay. so monkey monkey monkey what does a monkey have to do with anything at all. most of all, why is he on a computer and who cares that he is on a computer. dud. what would he even be looking at? I bet it is something stupid because monkeys seem like they would have a very simple.... i don't know what i was going to say to be honest. something along the lines of monkeys being easily amused by the absurdities of the internet. i am sure that they would find something stupid to look at because sometimes humans are stupid and maybe they will find it all funny and wonder why they are in cages instead of us. i mean humans are super fascinating. put us all in a zoo and a bunch of monkeys will come looking at us like who is the dummy now. do some tricks. lets see who can do the dumbest shit because with humans it seems like we are at a competition of who can do dumber shit than the next person. it really is stupid when you think about it. why do we even exist. how do we even continue to exist. what would happen if we used a little more of our brain. speaking of brains i remember that being able to use only ten percent of the brain is a myth. i learned that is my neurogenic speech disorders class. who would even believe something like that. i did, i believed it and now i feel silly of it. the brain is super fasinating and i am not sure who said that we only used ten percent of it. but if we did only use ten percent of it, hypothetically speaking, i wonder what would happen if we could use 1 more percent of it. will be unlock super powers or some strange higher state of being? I don't know. this was supposed to be about monkeys but here i am thinking about the complexities of the brain and this crazy thing we call humanity. i wonder if monkeys, were they able to use their brain like a human, would have shows that feature funny humans. americas funniest home videos run by a monkey would be hilarious. then again, we don't really have to imagine it because we see humans doing dumb shit all of the time thanks to the internet. i think the internet made it worse. god i hope my children don't end up doing something stupid. i would really just hang my head in shame. you see all these things that kids do and you laugh wit hout imagining that your kids are eventually going to do dumb shit. now i am thinking about my kids. monkeys don't have to think about their kids doing dumb things, but i did take a class on primates and primate behaviors. i don't know why, but it was pretty interesting learning about it. i suppose the baby monkeys are sort of like little kids. i remember them doing silly things. but monkeys are different of course, but maybe not so different. you know there really is a good comparison of gender stereotypes in monkeys that i remember. it was actually pretty interesting not that i think gender stereotypes are a good thing. the male monkeys were were much like the men of today. not all men, but i couldn't help but think of my husband sometimes and the things he does. also, why do monkeys hump everything. some of them even put pee on their wrists to mark their territory. it really is kind of gross. monkeys are ool but gross. i wonder what computer monkey is. i don't know, but i think i am at the end of my time with only fifty seconds left to go and i still have no idea what i am going to do to finish the last character i am working on here, but at least my brain feels free. good bye computer monkey and have fun looking at tik-toc. i would reccomdend for a good laugh. it is a plague.

mombie
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Mon May 25, 2020 10:53 am

[5/22/2020] What are you thinking about RIGHT NOW?

mombie
Member for 8 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby nonconformingrole on Mon May 25, 2020 12:25 pm

I wish the water company would fix their stupid online portal, I cannot pay the bill and I really do not want to have to call them tomorrow. I'm sure the person who picks up the phone will be plenty pleasant, but I hate phone calls. I hate my wife's keyboard. writing on a gaming keyboard is not fun. i want my laptop back. curse my children for breaking it. my children are being suspiciously quiet... My wife can handle them, it's fine, she's their parent too, she's their parent too. I want cheese. Or chocolate. Both? Both. Maybe neither. Probably just need to drink a glass of water. When was the last time i had any water? Right before sitting down at the computer. Probably do want chocolate, then. It's already getting hot outside. Why can't i live further north in the summer? I support living in different places based on the seasons. I'm really scatterbrained today. I wonder if the online payment portal has loaded. Probably not. Maybe I should take a nap today. Maybe that's my problem. I did stay up too late last night.

Spoiler: show
The online payment portal never loaded properly.
Things are only impossible until they're not.
tumblr | Pinterest

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

nonconformingrole
Member for 1 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Author Tipworthy Conversationalist Promethean Inspiration Greeter Novelist Concierge

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby mombie on Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:19 pm

[6/6/2020] (1) All of the recent events, from Covid19 to protects, have affected all of us in one or more ways. Just dump out everything going on in your head.

(2) If you prefer not to do the first part, just do a ten-minute free write first thing in the morning or as your last thing before you go to bed. Many very successful people swear that taking ten minutes first thing in the morning to put your day into perspective, or late at night to go over your day, helps with goal-setting, introspection, and more.

Late update, but things are busy where I am.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby mombie on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:43 pm

[7/5/2020]

(1) Write a letter to your 14-year old self.

or

(2) A conversation you and a stranger have on a plane.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 8 years

Tips: 2.00 INK Postby nonconformingrole on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:43 pm

a little hesitant to post this, feels a little heavy, but hey what better way to get to know someone lol.

A letter to my 14 year old self.

Hey, listen, you’re figuring a lot of stuff out about yourself. I know it’s scary, but trust me, it’ll be okay. One day, you’ll leave that house behind you. I know it’s hard, and I know you feel alone, and scared, and you don’t know what’s in store. It’ll be okay. Mom’s gonna blow a gasket when she finds out you like girls. Don’t worry about it too much. You’re stronger than she is, even if you’re too scared to call her bluff. It’ll be okay.

There’s a lot of feelings running through you. Explore it all, don’t give up on something because it’s too complicated, or because it’s easier to pretend it isn’t true. You deserve to be honest with yourself, and to be happy. You’ll meet the best friends on your life on the internet. You’ll meet one, soon, that you’ll still be talking to in ten years. Zoey is gonna help you through a lot of shit, she’s gonna be there for you.

Dont be afraid to correct people, or push boundaries, or explore your identity. Its okay that you dont know who you are yet. Nobody knows who they are at 14. You’ll still be figuring it out at 24, but you’ll be in a better place.

Try not to let the darkness consume you. I know it’s tempting, but you’re so sweet. So full of love and passion. You’ll be okay. It wont be this bad forever, I promise.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 2.00 INK in return for their work.

nonconformingrole
Member for 1 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Author Tipworthy Conversationalist Promethean Inspiration Greeter Novelist Concierge

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Kellabean on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:44 pm

Dear 14 year old me,
I made it to 35 and I'm writing you this letter.
I not only made it but I survived a shit storm. I had no idea that one day I'd have to protect you from the world. Not only protect you but teach you things nobody taught you. The world is a scary place and I'm proud of you for making it this far. I'd like to give you much needed advice.... theres gonna be moments you wanna give up but you don't. Theres gonna be moments that will take your dignity but don't let it. Trust yourself only you are there to protect yourself from this point on. Theres gonna be lots of things that will happen to you in the up coming years but I'll have your back no matter what. Show the world what your made of and remember your worth it. Your not your fears, flashbacks or anxiety. Your goal state is serenity. Accept your feelings as feelings. Put your self first. Your are your own self. This is your life and you should live how ever you intent on doing so. Your gonna go through a tragic moments and feel very lonely but know that this time will pass and you will find love one day. Starting with loving yourself which will be one of your greatest achievements. Your choices are yours and you should stand by them. I will hold your hand through it all. You got this. See you on the plus side.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Kellabean
Member for 0 years
Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby mombie on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 pm

[8/1/2020]

Set your timers for TEN MINUTES. Write about an RP idea that you have, but you don't exactly have all the details or anything hammered out. This is a genuine Free Write that doesn't require proper grammar, punctuation, and should be continuous without allowing you to actually "think" about the topic. That means no deleting once you start it. Hehe. You are just writing whatever comes into your head! For example: I had a thought that there was this magic world called.... what was it called... I forget, but there was this group of people...

Thank you to everyone that have participated thus far. The letters were pleasant to read!

mombie
Member for 8 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby sifsand on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:37 pm

I had an idea once of an apocalyptic setting where dinosaurs reclaimed the earth. Think of the classic zombie apocalypse but replace the zombies with killer dinosaurs and subtract the whole changing into them part.

The world would be totally reclaimed by nature, human structures were abandoned and plant life has grown over. There would be some pocket civilizations of humanity left who survived this new dinosaur planet. It would sort of be like the video game Horizon zero dawn but with dinosaurs instead of robots naturally. Perhaps there would be some ancient tech left over to help the survivors. The goal would be to survive the wildlife and each other. After all, humanity is its own worst enemy. I also would like for the dinosaurs to act as naturally as possible while still mantaining their fierce nature. Commonplace situations would include dinosaur confrontations between the human survivors and sometimes the dinosaurs fighting each other, who doesn't want to see a T-rex fighting a triceratops am I right?

Maybe I could also include some sci-fi technology like mentioned earlier like holographic raptors and I could even import strange new fictional species from my setting of Xamoyos.

sifsand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 3 years
Promethean World Builder Inspiration Author Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Visual Appeal Conversationalist Bug Hunter Person of Interest Lifegiver Builder Greeter

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!