Free Speech

a topic in Politics & Governance, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

National politics and the governance of the population.

Free Speech

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Free speech is always talked about and many people seem to have different opinions on it. Personally I believe hate speech is included in free speech as otherwise limiting expression based on whether or not it is hate speech can make labelling anything as hate speech as an excuse to suppress the freedoms of people. Hate speech shouldn't be banned but rather engaged. You need to challenge people with problematic views.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aniihya
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Re: Free Speech

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FyreT1ger on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:37 pm

I agree with you that different views must be identified and examined, because without examination discourse can not happen. On that basis, I want to ask for some of your definitions. What are you defining as hate speech or problematic views?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

FyreT1ger
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Defining hate speech is partially based on perspective, however it can be considered an opinion based on hatred towards a group of people such as calling for the discrimination or death of a demographic. Problematic views are completely based off of perspective. Views that may be problematic to me may not be problematic to you.

As an example from my perspective, if I want to challenge someone with problematic views, their views may seem irrational to me such as stereotyping ethnicities or trying to push an assumptive legislation without concrete evidence (such as bathroom bills assuming that people will use gender identity to commit crimes when criminal actually would still commit such crimes even without the legislation in place).

Aniihya
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FyreT1ger on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Calling for death of a demographic, whether it be women or men or children under the age of five, black people, white people, Christians, Kurds or Jews or Russian Cassocks, is more correctly called advocating genocide. Even though hatred is a strong word, genocide generally gives a stronger impression than 'hate speech'.

Advocating genocide is NOT something that should be either accepted or acceptable. That genocide advocate has a right to his opinion, but he also has a responsibility to accept the consequences of that opinion. If someone on the street hears him screaming that he wants to kill all people with a certain set of traits, the person who hears him should call the cops and the genocide advocate must accept that he could be in prison for a long time or dead himself for making that statement.

My opinion of the issue does obviously put a limit on freedom of speech, because this particular man's speech can and will harm people if he acts on it. Freedom does have a limit. That limit is when one person's freedom can harm other people.

You say problematic views and hate speech are a matter of a opinion. If it's all a matter of opinion, then that makes it difficult to have reasonable discourse as well. Everyone will be using their own definitions of words that could be complete opposites of what you're trying to say or I'm trying to say or what some other person who enters into this discussion has to say.

Something you did use that I can comment on is people using a certain law to harm other people. As individuals or as a nation, we can't control how another person uses their freedom, so to assume the worst is the most effective way to decide certain freedoms. In the case you mentioned, do not dismiss other people's fears as irrational because you disagree.

It may seem irrational to you, but there are a lot of parents who fear for their children's safety, which is why such a law is debated. There are both a lot of parents and a lot of children, so shouldn't we as individuals and a nation allow those parents and children freedom from fear? Is not freedom from fear a reasonable freedom as well?

FyreT1ger
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Red_Cardinal on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:00 pm

"Hate speech" ? - how boring

It's all a matter of how the individual interacts with the society and vice versa

What a wonderfull society have we created no?

- Where the gravity of the danger of radical terrorism is compared to economical fluctuations or gender problems and its idea is spread along the globe through our own mass media, creating new martyrers en masse.

- Where the value of a human life is measured by the Influence and wealth -degrading the remaining 90% of population to disposable trash.

- Where the people are induced with hatred and inspired to be greedy on daily basis

- Where the legal system is abused to silence people and push the rotten values of the society onto them by force

This is where the true evil intentions are born - a toxic society in which it is only reasonable to fear for the safety of your own kids. And all this because we people are too lazy as long as we are fed and entertained -
how ironic for us to complain!

Interesting game to watch howerver- as it poses bright variety of obstacles to overcome -
for the willing at least
If you happen to have a riddle for me - i will gladly accept your offer

Red_Cardinal
Member for 2 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Author Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!