Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Friendship

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Friendship

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 pm

How do you maintain healthy friendships? What is an unhealthy one?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Friendship

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby matchawhore on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 pm

To have a healthy friendship, you need :
1) trust in each other
2) honesty
3) commitment
4) at least a few similar interests
5) respect for each others' feelings
6) forgiveness for differences
7) communication and be a good listener
8) make time for each other
9) flexible sense of humour
10) respect boundaries

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

matchawhore
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rossesthorn99 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Healthy friendship:
1)communication
2)trust
3)respect
4)care
5)always have time for each other
6)respect
7)support each other

Rossesthorn99
Member for 11 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby matchawhore on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Unhealthy friendships...

Basically the opposite of all the above. Distrust, backstabbing, talking about them behind their backs, hurting each other, taking jokes too seriously and never getting over it, lack of forgiveness over stupid things, fighting but never getting over it or talking it out, never communicating clearly, making each other feel stupid, avoid them, never make time for them (unless it's beyond your control, life does that to you), always take but never give, lack of any generosity, etc.

matchawhore
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Is an unhealthy friendship the same as having an enemy?

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spaceracist on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:50 pm

I feel like all my relationships start out healthy and good and fun but the more comfortable I become with someone the more I show my true self, which ends up being very UNHEALTHY. I always begin to take them for granted by accident and I have to focus so hard on showing them the right emotions. I start letting out my personal frustrations on the people I am closest to. The more I trust someone or the more they trust me, the more likely it is that they will let me down or I will let them down.
Now what?

spaceracist
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:43 pm

I do not have many friends and those I consider friends are very good friends since I can interact with them without having to fear having something forced upon me or constantly being asked of a favor. I sort of don't have many friends, because some people are afraid of me or fear that I am a sociopath. Being the quiet guy with a lot of patience, reading Marquis de Sade and minding his own business isn't bad is it?
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shi-chan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

An unhealthy relationship is one that drains you of emotional energy. I remember reading a book a while back, and stumbling onto the expression "emotional vampire", which, in short, is a person who lets out so much negativity that it drains those around them of positive feelings. I was friends with one such "vampire" some years ago, and found that the relationship was wholly bad for everyone involved. He did not become happier, regardless of my attempts to show him the brighter side of things, and I gave up and just allowed him to swamp around in his own misery after a year or so.

I walked away for good when I realised that this person had no intention of changing their attitude, and instead had attempted to cut me off from other friends by spreading lies and other such things.

Shi-chan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spaceracist on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Aniihya wrote:Being the quiet guy with a lot of patience, reading Marquis de Sade and minding his own business isn't bad is it?

Not at all! But this is your relationship with yourself, not others.
I consider those GOOD things hahaha.

spaceracist
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby starkandskinny on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:12 am

I have to disagree with some of the comments above, since, at least from my past experience - too much of a good thing can also lead to having an unhealthy relationship with a person. 'Always having time for each other' could easily be misinterpreted as must have time for each other at all times, 'care' could result in constantly needing to know what the other person is doing, etc. etc.
I have many acquaintances, but not a lot of people who I consider actual friends - and those who are good friends share all of the above-mentioned traits, but also have a good sense of giving a person some space when they need it, and minding their own business when they should.
No one does a slice like Big Rico.
NO ONE.

starkandskinny
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Psychopizzino on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:27 am

It is very difficult to maintain a healthy friendship and relationship. Everyone thinks oh he/she needs respect, trust, love, devotion, etc. To me if someone has to have all of these qualities in a friendship then you are expecting way to much out of someone. People lie and make mistakes from time to time expecting someone to have all of these qualities is thinking way to hard. I enjoy the company of my friends because they can be real with me and if they have to confess a little white lie about something to make me feel better for a little while then we can laugh about it later. Thats just my opinion on friendship.
Death is only the beginning

Psychopizzino
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spayce on Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Adopt a child together

spayce
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lone Dreamer on Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Interesting topic especially since I am terrible with friendships or any sort of relationship. Oh lonesome forever.

- Sincerely Dreaming
The things you cannot posses, are the most beautiful of all.

Lone Dreamer
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:46 pm

I think that trust and communication is the key foundation to any relationship. Without both, then it all topples down.

almostinsane
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!