Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

Gaslighting

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Gaslighting

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Gaslighting as a Manipulation Tactic: What It Is, Who Does It, And Why
Read the article, and I have three questions:
1) Do you believe that gaslighting works?
2) Have you ever been gaslighted?
3) Have you ever participated in gaslighting?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver

Re: Gaslighting

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:28 am

I've only ever considered manipulating someone's environment like that as a prank for April Fool's Day or similar. Things like turning the toaster 90 degrees, so someone trying to make their morning toast before the caffeine kicks in won't know why it's not going down.

As far as being gaslighted, the closest I can get is getting my ass kicked on Pokémon Showdown, though it can be argued that that's more of a paradigm shift, or being a small fish in a big pond. "Everything I thought would work didn't...were they ready for it, or can I just not trust my own instincts because I don't know enough to make those calls?" Thus, I believe that this tactic can be used effectively. When you can't even trust how you perceive the world around you and keep banging your leg against the bed frame, it gets really hard to trust that you made the right call on literally anything else. Bonus points if you have clinical anxiety or depression.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:57 pm

I have the sense that gaslighting is often used in a gendered fashion, specifically to make women question the validity of their own experiences of, e.g., abuse, sexual assault, etc. I’ve come across discussion of the phenomenon in connection with court testimony and such, where lawyers for the defense will ask all kinds of irrelevant questions about what clothing someone was wearing, etc., and that the distorted emphasis on things that don’t actually matter tends to lead to people believing they’ve misunderstood their own experiences. It is, of course, also used more in the way that the writer asserts, by the original victimizers, but I thought it relevant to point out that it isn’t only them. (Unless you think all lawyers of this type are psychopaths, which I suppose someone could.)

I don’t mean to suggest, by the way, that gaslighting is always gendered, merely that the context in which I have come across the term before was in discussions of certain kinds of trauma, the victims of which are primarily women or minorities. There’s a sense in which a white male’s experience is taken as “default” or assumed to be properly objective/neutral/epistemic virtue of your choice that I suspect makes it more difficult (though not impossible) to invalidate in this way.

I have been gaslighted, though only in somewhat minor ways. I’d like to think I’ve never participated in it, though I suppose it’s difficult to say for sure—I could easily believe that most people have done so unintentionally at least once or twice in their lives, in more ordinary ways than the sort of psychopath-level stuff the author describes in the article.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:10 pm

I am pretty sure I've been gaslighted before, but I can't recall when. Have I been manipulated in general? You bet your boots I have.

I think people who tend to use this technique, in general, they're intent is to get what they want just like anyone else who manipulates. I myself do manipulate those to get what I want, even though the intent not meant to cause harm. Gaslight to me sounds like something that is 'bad intentional' simply because it causes a negative reaction from what I've read.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Ragdoll on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:09 am

A1: It exists, so it works. Otherwise, why would we name it? It's an action. How efficient is it in building authentic relationships? Very inefficient.

A2&3: Yes, and I am so damn proud of it. Call me an expert.
to the times I'm seething with hatred, to the times I'm blind with love, fucking
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx f c k i n g ,
x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxf c k i n g ,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxshhh*t sta*n *:・゚
"(insert wise quote here
continuation of wise quote)
"
(person who said wise quote)

x
x

The Ragdoll
Member for 5 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Promethean World Builder Group Theory Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!