Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Gasp! This isn't about Software! Sin, check this out

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Gasp! This isn't about Software! Sin, check this out

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teh Andy on Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:49 am

Interesting... I'm browsing my usual gun information/news resource, world.guns.ru, and I come across an update while I ponder whether or not to go to class (Seriously though, if I skip, what am I going to accomplish here? Didn't I swear NOT to do this this semester?)

Anyway, interesting new concept.

From Australia, the Metal Storm. It's a 40mm grenade launcher that works like a freakin' roman candle.

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl18-e.htm

It's crazy. It holds three grenades in its barrel, one on top of the other, and launches them one after the other. Each grenade is it's own propulsion system, so there's no shell to discharge after you launch it. They're ignited electronically and after launch the unit must be sent back to its maker for reloading. That's a bit inconvenient too. Not to mention the usual problems that accompany the 40mm grenade. It's neat though.

See, they're trying to copy the old XM29 OICW, so they've made something called an AICW. When did the Australians get into the arms business? I have no idea. (Fuck it, it's too late now. Son of a bitch. I ain't missing tomorrow though. Dammit, now I gotta find something to do today. You can be sure I'm gonna rant about this in another thread) But apparently these weapons have completed live-fire trials and the australian defense force is going to start purchasing them in 2010 or so.

Don't they know those things are too big and complicated for practical use in the field? They'd be owned by the XM8's and the XM25's.
Live in your world, get KOed in mine.

ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Teh Andy
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:25 pm

Austrailians have been working on Metal Storm for years. They have 3 working models of the original concept, a monster that fires over a million rounds a minute. Yes, that is per minute.

It's about the size of a tractor trailer, and puts forth, quite literally, a metal storm. It would level a brick building with a 1 second burst of fire.

Now, the only thing we have to fear is the satellites going up in 2008 that hold a barrage of 10 foot graphite rods, dropped through the atmosphere, producing an explosion from the impact alone, no explosives involved. Not to mention being accurate to 1 foot.

No warning, nothing. Just... wham, you're gone.

Metal Storm Live Firings: http://www.metalstorm.com/04_video_live_firings.html
Last edited by Remæus on Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:43 pm

Jebus.

And whose side're them rods gunna be on?

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heero_gundam101 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:30 am

hopefully not the opposite of our boys..

Heero_gundam101
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversationalist Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Senor_Fun on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:06 pm

That first video... Jesus H.

Here's to hoping we never fight the Aussies in a war.

Senor_Fun
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.