Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Pokémon: Worlds Unfurled

General Discussion

a part of “Pokémon: Worlds Unfurled”, a fictional universe by KumoriRyuu.

In the vast and dangerous world of Pokémon, it will be up to a new generation of heroes to quell the threat posed to the world by Team Rocket.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Pokémon: Worlds Unfurled”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

General Discussion

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:51 pm

Welcome everyone to Pokémon: Worlds Unfurled!

This RP begins in the Kanto Region, with all of our characters beginning their journey in the world of Pokémon brand new to all that it implies. Our characters will know pretty much nothing about Pokémon, as the purpose of the RP is to strip you of any real world knowledge you may have about Pokémon and put you back in a position where you have to learn everything all over again.

So, if you think you can stand to portray a character who's a complete newbie and knows nothing about the world of Pokémon in an RP that portrays Pokémon in a much more realistic light than the games/anime/manga, then I welcome you to the RP and I look forward to seeing your characters in the "Character Profiles" OOC thread!
Kumori Ryuu

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Beta Tester World Builder Lifegiver Arc Warden Person of Interest Visual Appeal

Re: General Discussion

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:26 pm

When it comes to starting equipment, items, and materials, all of our characters will have access to at least one regular Potion, one Antidote, and one Repel.

When it comes to what Pokémon you can start the adventure with, you get your starter. That's it. No other Pokémon will be provided, and all of us will begin the game in the Kanto Region in Pallet Town after receiving your starter from Professor Oak (and it doesn't matter which generation it comes from).

We can discuss this more later, but for now just go ahead and take your time soaking up the info of the RP and if you have any questions at all then please ask them here.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Beta Tester World Builder Lifegiver Arc Warden Person of Interest Visual Appeal

Re: Pokémon: Worlds Unfurled

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lloyd999 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Well, I have been interested in joining a Pokemon roleplay for a while now, although you seem rather strict in the functions of the roleplay. I mean, being strict in the rules, I totally understand, but the way you portrayed the Pokemon society in the games is a rather strict system, huh? At least stricter than the way I remember the games. Could that possibly be a plot point? That criminal activities involving trainers (or criminal organizations like Team Rocket) caused a movement for a lot more control and surveillance over trainers, which I would suppose makes sense considering how much Pokemon training effects people's lives, how competitive the sport gets all over the world and how many criminal activities (by organizations in many of the regions as depicted in the games) use Pokemon. You could probably make note of this while writing in the roleplay, if this was your intention.

I apologize if you take offense in my questioning one of your rules of which you seem rather set on, but does every trainer have to have one of those same starting Pokemon that the player receives from the respective Professor of each reason near the beginning of most of the game? I mean, to my understanding, starter Pokemon are said to be rather rare in the environment, which makes sense considering there are few if any obtainable from the wild in any of the games. I think it would make sense that a starter could be any (within a specific range which you would decide) common first-stage Pokemon obtainable in the wild, such as a Machop or Spearow or Weedle or something. Well, it's your rule and your roleplay, so whatever you find most reasonable is your decision. That is just an opinion of mine.

Edit: I posted this before I saw your note that the characters would recieve their Pokemon from Professor Oak.

As for my character, I did have one idea. I mean, I assume you wish for every character to be a rookie, if not a beginning trainer, but I did have an idea for an interesting antagonistic character, a member of Team Rocket. With such high law enforcement which is especially focused upon the usage of Pokemon and the activities of trainers, especially if part of the cause of such enforcement is caused by criminal organizations such as Team Rocket, a revived Team Rocket probably would have to be a lot more covert than we are used to in the games. I'm thinking this character I'm imagining would be a head of security/head of secrecy for Team Rocket, who's responsibility is to keep Team Rockets activities completely secret, not to mention dealing with any sort of loose ends that would expose the organization and their activities. No doubt this trainer would be experienced, likely specializing in Dark and Poison type Pokemon and this trainer would prove to be a challenge to fight, but not too overpowered of course, I could certainly manage that. Perhaps not having a whole team of Pokemon, at least earlier on, would help that. This character could still prove to be a big antagonistic character, as it be best to have a specific face to fear among an otherwise ambiguous organization of faceless goons. Of course, I could make this character's role in the whole grand scheme of the roleplay and its plot even more interesting depending on any other characters submitted into the roleplay, as it may be possible for this character to have some sort of previous relationship with another, perhaps a family relationship. I mean, I could always create an ordinary character to fill in such a role, but another person's character perhaps being a son/daughter of this character would make for some interesting interactions with the characters of the roleplay.

Indeed, while I'm still developing the ideas for this character, I've already thought up a bunch and could continue working on this idea with your approval, which I could submit a profile about in your OOC thread, and I could modify aspects about the character depending on your demands. We have roleplayed together before and I'm sure you can trust my ability to accurately portray characters in Pokemon roleplays and I'm confident I can play such an antagonistic character well, adding an interesting sort of flavor into the plot. I mean, I'm sure you already have a direction in mind for the roleplay and you've already planned out your intentions for Team Rocket's goals, which you could disguise with me about. I'm sure my character will give a much more frightening impression on how threatening Team Rocket is now.

On an unrelated note, I'll suggest a tool for this roleplay of which I suggest for any Pokemon roleplay. I'm not sure if you are aware of its function yet, but its called write.roleplaygateway.com and it is extremely helpful when writing up fight scenes and long scenes of fast dialogue with other roleplays through writing up collaborative posts, and it is especially useful for Pokemon battles, especially with the turn-based system. It could turn 20 short posts written by two roleplayers, which are very boring and often, putting detail into them is difficult, into 1 or 2 long and detailed posts, thus curing many problems that other Pokemon roleplays face when it comes to short posts. of course, I could demonstrate its usage in this pad which I've set up for this roleplay.

Lloyd999
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:07 pm

I recall our working together before Lloyd999, it's nice to see you again.

Anyway, about the antagonistic character, I'd prefer such characters remain as NPC's. In RP's like this where the primary focus is on the young and developing characters, throwing in a character such as that which you described has in my experience proved problematic.

I'll be making an OOC thread soon about the primary antagonists in the RP complete with bios and pictures so that they aren't faceless. If you want your antagonist character to be among them, we can do that, but he will have to be an NPC.

And I have experience with the pad you provided, but I will thank you for providing this one for the RP and I'll be sure to use it. Thank you.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:07 pm

regarding the "no abandoning a trainer battle" rule: is surrendering permitted? i know it is in the postgame battle facilities and in link battles

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Surrender is allowed, yes, and counts for a loss. But running or trying to escape from an Official Pokemon League match is considered a mild felony punishable by at least two nights in jail and a large fine.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:37 pm

KUMO!!! LLOYD!!! Long time no see guys, how have you two been? Kumo I've also got a question concerning a character that might potentially be more NPC material than player material.

Like my inner Pokefan goes by "Luke Briar" and I usually envision him as your young Pokemon Professor. But for this setting...professor assistant? While he totally doesn't fit in with the whole "battling scene" I was wondering if Briar's more field oriented academia would be nonvolatile enough to sneak through. Of course Im more than willing to make something else...I've many inner Pokefans lol

Nekohina
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Gimme some time to think on that one Neko. It's an interesting case.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby C O S M I C on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:58 am

Very pokemon. Such wow
Image"The answers in the stars...."HEY YOU! CLICK THIS

C O S M I C
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Visual Appeal Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NethanielShade on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:06 am

I just skipped over most of the introduction, mildly interested, not reading it all, then Rule #7 caught my eye.
Yes. Thank you. Someone understands! I'll read the whole introduction now and decide whether or not I want to join.

EDIT: Interesting roleplay. In every Pokemon game I've ever played, (Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire, Diamond, Platinum, a little bit of Black, and all of X) I've played a character who starts with a fire type starter, and eventually gears around ghost/dark/poison/dragon types. I know someone mentioned being an antagonist with similar types, however I'm interested in a trainer role, starting off with a single starter as you said. My question is, are we allowed access to any pokemon from all of the games, or only restricted to Kanto?
ImageImage

NethanielShade
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Donated! Contributor Arc Warden Beta Tester Storyteller Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:55 pm

You'll have access to Pokemon from various regions and generations throughout the entire adventure, but we are starting in Kanto.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:08 pm

Also, everyone please read the instructions for character submission again! I've already rejected two profiles that were submitted to the RP directly who didn't follow directions for posting it to the OOC for inspection!

I don't want to do that again, so post your characters to the "Character Profiles" OOC thread and I'll take a look at it. If it's a WIP, I'll give you my thoughts so far and you can continue working at your leisure.

Thank you!

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:06 pm

ah my submission wasn't for a real submission. That one was just for a placeholder and format view

Nekohina
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Sorry Neko, but it was still against the instructions. I know you meant well, but please do as asked on the RP's main page.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby petalquest on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:13 am

I've just submitted a character and now I'm wondering how this is going to work, I've just joined so I have no clue.
I would really appreciate if you could explain to me the mechanics of this or if you can give me a link to such information.

petalquest
Member for 10 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:49 am

Well petalquest, let me give you a basic rundown of how the RP mechanics function, though most of the information you need is spread out across the other OOC threads.

This RP is going to be something of a "create your own adventure" RP, though there will be an underlying story which will have a few instances of governing how your character will change. For instance, certain events which will take place around my character, Sakura, are going to be chain reaction events which effect everyone. Other than that you're free to forge your own adventure with or without the other members of the RP by your side. For instance, Sakura is going to start her adventure by herself but if anyone wants to catch up to her or run into her at any point, all they have to do is tell me.

Now, for Pokemon in the RP, there are a number of things to remember. The first one is that Pokemon in this RP are real wild animals and will behave as such. Wild animals don't randomly wish to befriend humans, and Pokemon follow this rule in the RP which is why Rule #7 on the RP's main page forbids catching by friendship like Ash does in the anime almost every single time.

Pokemon in this RP don't have mechanical stats either like HP, attack, defense, special attack, special defense, and speed. They don't have IV's or EV's, nor do they have a singular "nature" which effects how they grow. Those are video game mechanics and have no place in the RP, though the stats are represented by real life counterparts.

Stamina and conditioning is the equivalent of HP. The more well conditioned and experienced your Pokemon is in battle, the more HP it would seem to have as it has learned to pace itself in battle even while using all its might to win for its trainer. Physical strength is, of course, strength. The stronger your Pokemon becomes physically via training and battling more often, well... the stronger it gets. Special attack and special defense are special cases, as most of the time they're metaphysical. The more your Pokemon uses their specialty moves like water gun, ice beam, fire blast, thunderbolt, hyper beam, etc, the stronger the moves will become as the Pokemon's body becomes more and more used to both harnessing and controlling the element which it is a part of.

For special defense, the more your Pokemon is hit by specialty moves, the more tolerant its body will become to being hit by such maneuvers, although one specialty move does not equal another. If your Pokemon gets hit by flying type gust dozens and dozens of times, it will become tolerant of flying type specialty moves but if it's hit with a fire type move, it has not built a tolerance to it yet and so it will still do full damage. Your Pokemon's special defense has to be built over time to each of the specialty type attacks, otherwise it won't have any tolerance to it as a real beings body gets used to elements by what? Being exposed to them. You can't make a Pokemon tolerant of fire and heat and expect it to withstand the freezing cold can you?

The last stat is Speed which is, of course, represented by how fast your Pokemon is or becomes. If your Pokemon is well conditioned and trained to run/jog regularly their speed will increase.

So yes, think of your Pokemon as a real animal and not a video game creature with mechanical stats.

Most of the information you need to know about the RP is in the OOC threads, so do take some time to read them and if you're still unsure of how things work then ask all the specific questions you want and I'll answer all of them one by one.

As for your profile, let me give you a quick critique:

In your description, you mention that he has a 4-pack, which is... less than accurate but only if he does sit ups all day and doesn't do any other type of exercise like running or anything of that sort then it can be seen that way. Every human being has a 6 pack muscle structure in their abdominal area, but the degree to which they are visible depends largely on how they train themselves (or don't train themselves) It's why you see runners, swimmers, martial artists, sports athletes, dancers, etc with full 6 packs because they work the lower abs in conjunction with their upper abs so all six show up as they grow and develop. The "8 pack" is a myth, as the very top two "abs" are not actually abs at all in an "8 pack" but some people like to pretend they are out of arrogance and ignorance as to what their own bodies are displaying. So if Alexander has never done any kind of physical activity but he does do sit ups all day, then yes, he'll appear to have a 4 pack but he technically does still have a six pack.

The rest of the profile seems sound and I don't really have issues with anything except for his weight. At 6' 1.5", 136 lb. is sickly thin and any kind of physical activity would be nigh impossible for him to engage in. To give some scale, I'm 5' 11" and 170 lb. I'm considered thin with only a mild amount of muscle because I'm a martial arts instructor and I focus more on using the body's natural weight and resistance to train than going to a gym to pump iron. But I'm still light and thin. At 6' 1.5", Alexander would look like a pencil, and things like parkour in his bio would not be physically possible as his body wouldn't have enough muscle to accomplish the tasks. A much better weight for him to have if you want him to still be thin but physically capable when he puts his mind to it would be around around my body weight, 170-180 lb. For someone who is 6' 1.5", that's still thin but there's enough muscle to at least participate in such activities as parkour.

So change his body weight for me to around 170-180 lb. and you are good to submit to the RP. Again, if you still have questions then please feel free to ask and I'll answer any and every single one of them no matter how many there are. I love questions, so have at it!

As for EVERYONE!!!

For those who are wondering, online Body Mass Index scales are BS. Even those provided by professional and specialty companies or organizations are BS. They'll tell you that at 5' 11", my real life height, 140 lb. is healthy. Yeah, no it's not. If I lost 30 lb. I'd look like I was anorexic and I would have little to no significant muscle mass which is not healthy at all.

Never, and I mean NEVER use any kind of online body mass index's to give your character their body weight. If you want to know where your character's body weight should be given their body type and height, ask me. I know it sounds arrogant to say so but I'm a much better source for accurate information regarding what is "healthy" and "productive" body weight than anything you'll find online regardless of the source. These people who provide the body weight index measurements are making dangerous assumptions about "healthy" body weight based on physical condition versus what the body actually needs to function at full capacity. At 5' 11", 140 lb. is dangerously malnourished and most certainly NOT healthy despite what the BMI's would otherwise tell you.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:05 pm

sadginger and darknessspawn, you guys are good to submit your characters to the RP as well whenever you're ready. I finally had the time to go over them and they look good!

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NethanielShade on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:16 pm

They'll tell you that at 5' 11", my real life height, 140 lb. is healthy. Yeah, no it's not.

I'd like to argue with you that I myself am 5'9", in highschool, and I only weight 131 lbs. I measured both my height and weight last night for my character's reference. I am NOT sickly thin at all, actually I'm rather lean. I don't look anorexic, or sick, I can easily run a mile under ten minutes (Which our PE class does once a week) and can do 50 crunches and 20 push ups every day. I obviously have no problem with physical activity, not do I look sick at all. I'm going to respectfully, but completely, disagree with you. There's only a three inch difference between you and me.

However, I do agree that being over six feet tall and having my weight is unhealthy.

NethanielShade
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Donated! Contributor Arc Warden Beta Tester Storyteller Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:31 pm

I'm guessing you're an ectomorph aren't you Nethaniel? I'm a Mesomorph, and my body type carries different muscle mass distribution than yours hence my previous argument. So I should correct myself, and mention that for someone of my height who's a mesomorph cannot be 140 lb. and be considered healthy. Again, if I, with my body shape and current mass, lost 30 lb. I'd be sickly thin for sure. No questions, no excuses.

An ectomorph, with the naturally thinnest body type can have a lower degree of muscle mass while still being healthy and active. I had just woken up when I wrote my previous statement, so there were bound to be a few mistakes in there. But yes, body type will play a role in that. Different body type will carry a different healthy weight index, but for a mesomorph like me being 5' 11" and 140 lb. is not healthy.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sadginger on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:37 pm

I submitted Marjane!
Image in the valley of the dolls we sleep Image

sadginger
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!