Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Getting out of a slump

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Getting out of a slump

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby ColeMaibara on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:10 am

I'm currently in a very tight spot (mentally) constantly bashing myself, my writing, my work, and everything I do. I don't feel confident or very experienced in my passions (writing, tabletop gaming, video gaming) and it ends up making me feel empty inside, like even the things I like and want to do end up crumbling and failing before my eyes.

Is there any recommendations people could give that could help get me out of this mindset? Tips and tricks?

- J

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

ColeMaibara
Member for 12 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Cult Leader Greeter Visual Appeal Salesman Property Buyer Lifegiver

Re: Getting out of a slump

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Crichton on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:00 am

Speaking as someone who suffers from some severe mental illnesses (fingerguns.jpg), I'm very familiar with the mindset. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a good clear-cut recipe for getting out, as it's going to be quite subjective depending on the person.

Most importantly, tell yourself it's okay to not be the best. Often when artists feel as though their work isn't good enough, what they're actually doing is comparing themselves to others- be that consciously or subconsciously. My best recommendation is to give yourself a break, take a step back and try to reconnect with what made these things enjoyable to you in the first place.

Play a game you haven't played in a while or look at some old stories you've written. If you're a GM, perhaps try being a player for a while. If you're a player, perhaps it's time to consider doing something new with your character.

Sometimes the reason for these feelings is that you're trying to do too many things at the same time. Sometimes it's because you've been doing the same things for so long they start to look too familiar (which a lot of artists take as a bad thing). And sometimes, it just happens, and you just need some time to figure stuff out.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I thought it'd at least help you to know that you're not alone.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Crichton
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Recruiter Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 pm

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ColeMaibara on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:21 pm

dealing with it wrote:Detecting Depression

Pretty much guaranteed to have this, among other things.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ColeMaibara
Member for 12 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Cult Leader Greeter Visual Appeal Salesman Property Buyer Lifegiver

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby serenitykmoon on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Hey there! As a professional writer who goes through bouts of severe depression that heavily impacts my ability to write, these are my tips and tricks to sliding out!

1. Take a break. It's okay to do that. Seriously. You do not HAVE to write that post right now. You don't have to beat that level. You can take a break!

2. Read! Reading is what we use, to get better. Reading allows us to get new ideas, to get a better feel for how to convey characters, descriptions etc.

3. Play a super basic, super easy game that challenges you next to none. Let yourself just glide through it. Don't over think it, just relax. Even if its just solitaire!

4. Make a playlist. Something relaxing or upbeat. Something that you turn on when you're ready to sit down and write! Let it encourage you.

5. Remember that the only way you will get better, is to practice. Whether it's writing something for yourself, or it's just idly approaching in roleplays like the MV! Take it slow and easy!

You are good enough, and you will get better. I read a post from my old, old account today. And I cringed. Like, oh my gosh it was SO BAD. If only 17 year old me knew what I was capable of! You can do it.

My inbox is open if you need it! :)
I really do love feedback, so please leave some for me.
If you wish to get ahold of me, just note me. I don't bite!
I specialize in Romance, Fantasy (More magic than anything), Mystery

Keep an eye on my upcoming psych thriller!

serenitykmoon
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby SofiUnnie on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:26 pm

I know this topic way too well! And it is never easy to come out of it either, but all I can say is to understand, when you are pushing yourself down and tell yourself to stop hitting yourself mentally - I know it isn't easy thing to do, but I have found that it can actually help.

Plus keeping yourself busy helps you maintaining the balance and control over yourself and the mental side trying to attempt basically murder on you.

If you wanna talk about it, you are free to message me! I myself have been in this slump for a month or two myself lately. But I am here for you! :3

SofiUnnie
Member for 6 years
Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Tipworthy Streamwatcher Promethean Conversationalist World Builder Author Inspiration Lifegiver Person of Interest

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!