Gods Among Us...Any Interest?

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Gods Among Us...Any Interest?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Venuskyy on Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:25 am

Hi there! My name is Venuskyy, feel free to shorten my name as you like.

I've had a few ideas rolling around my head for a while now and wanted to see if there was any interest in any of them. This idea is the most developed one I have and the one that's been the most worked on so far. So I figured I'd post here and see if there is any interest. It is based on a variety of medias I have consumed. Namely, it takes a few different ideas from The Wicked + The Divine, but honestly doesn't have anything much else in common other than taking the idea of "Gods" being reborn into human bodies. If you haven't read it, it is a fantastic comic series that I highly recommend!

x
x
x
x
x
x
x

For longer than anyone can remember the Gods have been a staple of everyday life in our world. Their presence a reminder of just how vast the mysteries of the universe truly are. Through a cycle known as the 'emergence' they steal away into the bodies of humans slated for an early death, merging the memories of past lives with that of the new one. Becoming a new, better, more modern version of the Gods in the legends told by man. Generation upon generation have thought of the 'emergence' as a blessing. The ultimate gift upon a human would be to become a God and with that gift came the vastly familiar human emotion; jealousy.

Jealousy wrought war, the humans fought the 'emergence' with weapons made by supernatural entities - these were the only weapons that could be wielded by humans with the intent to kill a God. Many, many lives were lost in these deadly wars. Halting the growth of civilization for dozens of years until finally, mercifully, the gods came together in order to form an alliance with one another. Together, this Pantheon of gods took down the human opposition and forced the humans into submission. The supernatural weapons were hidden away by the gods in a pocket dimension, and the humans were given the chance to right their wrongs against the all-powerful beings.

It took many years for the Gods and humans to walk amongst each other in solidarity once more. Life resumed and the world developed with the help of humans and Gods alike. The Pantheon that had formed to stop the wars stayed as a united front, now though, using their status as a means of self-policing and control. Though not all Gods were willing to follow these rules.

Time passed on, humans, Gods, and all manner of supernatural beings live in pseudo-harmony.

But all is not well.

A weapon, The Godslayer, the most powerful sword known to God or man has fallen into the hands of an organization determined to destroy the Pantheon and end the cycle of 'emergence' once and for all.

x
x
x
x

This universe is not the one we know and love but rather an alternate that exists far out of our reach.

Humans have the highest population on the planet but are not the only entities in existence. Supernatural entities of all kinds exist alongside the humans, as well as the Gods, and even spirit beings. This is all normal for this world, and nobody thinks twice about seeing a werewolf walking the streets or other such creatures.

Though humans have studied Gods for millions of years it is still unknown as to why or what the 'emergence' truly is. All they know is that there is no avoiding it, and no avoiding the fact that regardless of if they want them or not the Gods are always going to be around.

Other than the supernatural entities, the magics, and the gods, this world is pretty much the same as our own - though a bit more architecturally and scientifically advanced due to the harmonization of magic with modern technology.

Now for a bit of info on the Gods in general...

When Gods are not inhabiting a body they exist as an 'Essence.' They cannot directly interfere in the world. Their only means of connection being through non-physical means - dreams, omens, or other messages. This is due to an age old curse that still inflicts their kind. This curse has origins that date back to the beginning of time, and thus it is deeply shrouded in mystery. Only the oldest Gods themselves have any idea of how this curse was put upon them. Though the old ones rarely Emerge anymore, and thus the knowledge has been lost to those that choose to walk among the humans.

However it is known that The Curse and The Emergence are one and the same.

There are rules of course to the Emergence. Typically, a God may only Emerge once every Millenia from the point of death from its previous Emergence.

Gods cannot create bodies from nothing, they must take over an existing body. This can happen three ways, a God may Emerge into a body on the brink of death - this is the most common way as it limits the body from fighting back. Secondly, a God may Emerge into the body of a human that has been pre-destined for them. This is generally a parent "offered their first born" in exchange for something type of situation. The Third way is by permission of the host body. Gods may approach suitable bodies by sending omens or messages in a variety of ways.

The second a God emerges into the Body it consumes the memories of the host. The Emergence being a curse makes sense when it comes to realizing that the God is not simply inhabiting a body, but sharing it with the memories of the body. Though sometimes the line is even further blurred, causing a melding in the mind that can skew towards insanity. The Gods can often adopt the bodies personality, vices, and perhaps even cling to the idea of who they were 'before.'

Character Creation and General Expectations from the Player.

In this universe exists all manner of creatures. This universe is not parellel, but altogether alternate in many ways. Therefore, the Gods in this world do not have to be the same as in ours. They of course can be, but I do find it a bit more interesting to come up with brand new concepts for the Gods in this universe. creativity is key after all!

Though the Gods and their politics and struggles are the central theme of the story that doesn't mean they have to be the only characters. This is a world that's inhabited by a vast variety of creatures from the human to the not-so-human. Therefore characters can be anything and anyone you'd want them to be.

While there is a sort of plot running in the background of this idea I first and foremost want this to be collaborative. Drama is absolutely encouraged, and having different plot threads to follow despite the over-arching story is always fun. I want this to be at least somewhat sandbox-y for the characters.

I do have quite a lot written for this universe in general, this is just a mild glimpse at it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Venuskyy
Member for 0 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Promethean Tipworthy

Re: Gods Among Us...Any Interest?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Venuskyy on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:06 pm

I'm also interested in doing more 1x1 type roleplays if anyone has any interest.

I have a variety of things I'm into and like to come up with some wacky stuff.

A few of my writing interests would be:

Fantasy/sci-fi
Horror/Apocalyptic/Supernatural
Drama of all kinds, the more dramatic the better.

I really like to develope the world and the characters I play so collaborative creativity is a must.

As far as more fandom-y things go I dont have a super wide variety but I would love to rp with some of these at some point.

Harry Potter, it wouldn't have to be restricted to hogwarts but could be any manner of roleplay taking place in that world.

The Witcher

AtLA

The Darkest Minds

What We Do In The Shadows

Stranger Things or similar tropes to the "kids on bicycles fight monsters" shtick.

Honestly I can go for just about anything haha.

I play both male and female characters of all orientations.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Venuskyy
Member for 0 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Promethean Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!