Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Google Calendar Released

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Which is better?

Google Calendar
100%
Microsoft Outlook
No votes

Total votes : 1

Google Calendar Released

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Google Calendar is out now, and I've officially declared it's superiority over Microsoft Outlook. But here's a review and comparison anyways.

As many of you probably know, I work in the callcenter for an on site computer repair company called TechNoggins. My job is to take calls from the customers, diagnose the problem, and schedule an engineer to go to their location and fix the problem. We cover eleven markets across three states: Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. To do this, we use Microsoft Outlook's Calendar Functionality. We create a user on our Exchange Server for each market, and then place the the available engineers up top (as all-day appointments). As calls come in, we place the customer information on the appropriate calendar, and dispatch the Engineer accordingly.

When Google Calendar was released Thursday (I think it was Thursday. Right, guys?), I was ecstatic. Not only had I written this down on my Sony Clié and submitted it to Google as a suggestion quite some time ago, but it also had met my expectations and contained all of my needed functionality and ideas. I immediately opened up a calendar, started putting information on it, messing around with the buttons... and I was quite impressed.

The first thing that caught my attention was the New Event form. Clearly labelled with things like "What", "Where", and "When", I found it a wonderful breath of fresh air from Outlook's appointment form, labelled with "Subject"
(gosh, sounds so 90's-ish), "Location", and simply "Start time" and "End time". There's also a label thing there, and a reminder thing, and a busy thing. In Outlook, you can also add Contacts, Categories, and make the appointment "Private". Of course, we all know how secure Windows' passwords are. Looking at Google's form, you can see that everything is covered, save for Category: which I assume is made up for by the ability to create multiple calenders for your own use.

But there's more. Google's form ALSO allows you to add a guest, and provide an invitation, all on the same page. Outlook's equivalent is hidden deep within some right click menu...

When an invitation is sent to a guest, they get a nice little email asking them if they're going to attend or not... or they can even put a "maybe"! When they decide what they're doing, their information shows up on my calendar, and I know whether or not they're coming. It also seems fully scalable - I could most likely add 500 "guests" and get similiar results.

(insert more here... soon. Maybe later.)

Best of all, it's web based. It's all Web 2.0 (meaning a lot of AJAX), so there's no connecting to the Exchange Server crap, there's no install of Office... blah blah. Screw Outlook Web, too... yeah.

Add my my calendar, my gmail is eric.martindale@gmail.com
Attachments
newevent.png
Google Calender's New Event Form
(94.41 KiB) Downloaded 1215 times
Ludwig von Mises, The Theory of Money and Credit wrote:Perpetual vigilance on the part of the citizens can achieve what a thousand laws and dozens of alphabetical bureaus with hordes of employees never have and never will achieve: the preservation of a sound currency.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.