Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas » Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? »

Players Wanted: OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner »

Grassroots 2012: Crucible (Sign-up & OOC)

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Grassroots 2012: Crucible (Sign-up & OOC)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Fri May 11, 2012 10:05 pm

The Grassroots Tournament
2012: Crucible

"There are materials enough in every man's mind to make a hell there."

Introduction:

Hello again RolePlayGateway! It is my pleasure to officially announce that the third Grassroots Tournament, hosted right here in the Battle Arena, will be taking place in the upcoming weeks and months. For this instance, there will be quite a few changes being made, but most won't significantly alter the tournament experience returning fighters have come to know. As I've noted in previous years, these changes can be negotiated, but only if the majority of interested participants express a unified opinion on the matter at hand.

Changes:

For starters, the original Grassroots champion, DarkManticoreX2, will be assisting me in running the tournament. He will be making judgements, reviewing character submissions, and aiding me in various other tasks. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact either of us at any time, and we will get back to you as soon as we can. He will be participating in the lobby as Sirius Leonine, the character he played in the first Grassroots Tournament.

We will be switching the ruleset used for this tournament to a more free style variant. As long as the basic conventions of attacking, blocking, interrupts, dodging, preps, and maximum number of attacks per turn (2) are met, there will be no deductions from your judgments for ruleset related issues. The Eden Era thread on this board covers these topics adequately.

Also, after the increasing success of the first two tournaments, I've decided to make a few experimental tweaks to the tournament's format. First, to prevent the event from taking too long and to weed out inactives / no shows, there will be a qualifying round which will not have the lobby element; this round will last two weeks and have a three day response limit, as opposed to the normal month long, four day rules. Fighters who advance through the qualifying round will be transported to the planet's lobby and recieve good news: this year, the Grassroots will be a Double-Elimination tournament, which means that you will have a second chance to take the championship should you lose a fight.

The second format change revolves around stage selection. This year, players will be given a list of stages and their descriptions in the OOC. It is up to you and your opponent to agree on a stage to fight on. If necessary, Manti or I will decide for you, but there is no guarantee of a balanced stage choice for either character should this occur, so make every effort to work this out amongst yourselves. If there is a stage you wish to fight on that isn't included in the list, let Manti or I know with the stage name and description, and we may approve the stage for use.

The Lobby system will also be undergoing a change. Instead of re-using previous locations, we will be hosting the tournament on a new planet each year; this time, we will be embarking to "Anabol"; a recently formed planet currently undergoing hyperevolution along with the natives that reside there. There are many surprises in store for contestants both In Character and Out of Character, and I expect that the In Character thread will be more interesting this year as a result. The remaining aspects of Anabol will be revealed in the upcoming days, and all details will be kept in this thread for users to reference.

Sabotage:

The non-lethal sabotage elements from the first and second Grassroots tournaments still persist, and are unchanged. Players have the standard 4 days to react to a sabotage attempt; if they attempt to metagame, they recieve the full effects of the sabotage regardless of their response. Players attempting to kill other contestants using sabotage will be disqualified. (Killing in your 1 on 1 fights is allowed.)

I will once again be playing in the lobby as Azir Seroz, and will be reviving deceased characters throughout the tournament. Suicides will not be revived; you are out of luck if your character kills themself. I will also be illustrating the world of Anabol as the tournament progresses; it will be up to the contestants if they wish to contribute creative material to this world. If they do, it cannot benefit them in their tournament progress, however, and should tie in with the theme demonstrated with the content I will mention.

Sign-Ups:

Finally, there is the matter of sign-ups, which start now and end June 8th, 2012 at 4:00pm EST. Anybody can sign up; simply post or PM me your character sheet and Manti and I will review it. For power limitations, we will be working with the Anime League scale (again). If you participated or read GR2011 you will be familiar with the power scale.

Anime League, Tier 6: wrote:The charisma and influence necessary to muster an army of elite soldiers, and access to the technology needed to build and operate a small space craft capable of interstellar travel (or a magic dragon from the future, whatever floats your boat). A revolutionary, extremely potent and refined control over one or several elements, usage of alchemy, ninjutsu, etc. Highly adept and skilled weapon dexterity and skill. Superhuman reflexes, speed, and agility. Able to lift 2000 lbs several times. Your powers and skills rival those of Gandalf the White, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Himura Kenshin at their best.

The only additional rules we are imposing in terms of character abilities or equipment are the following:
- No canon characters.
- Guns will be limited to only piercing the dermis (or the equivalent) of a target, and their additional effects will be rendered non-lethal.

Summary:

- New staff member DarkManticoreX2
- Switching to Freestyle T1.
- New Qualifying Round: only 2 weeks and 3 day response, no lobby, winners advance
- After qualifiers, Tournament is Double Elimination and Lobby starts
- Lobby located on new planet called Anabol, many new aspects of this world.
- Sabotage returns, unchanged from previous years.
- I will be reviving dead characters, but no suicide or you lose.
- Sign-ups now to June 8th @ 4:00pm EST (edit: 5/21/12)
- Using AnimeLeague scale (edit: 5/14/12).

"May the strongest grass blade grow tallest."
Last edited by TwilightShade on Mon May 21, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TwilightShade
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Grassroots 2012: Crucible (Sign-up & OOC)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Fri May 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Azir Seroz's Research Notes:

Anabol:
"Recently, I have discovered a rare anomaly within the dimensions; a planet with rapid, focused evolution. Formed about one hundred million years ago, Anabol's progress as a planetary body has been much more rapid than that of Earth's. The first signs of life appeared and evolved far more quickly than anticipated among the few who knew of the planet's existance, forming into a list of undiscovered florae, bacteria, and insects. Surprisingly, the number of aqueous creatures has been relatively low compared to other life-bearing planets; the current reason for this is unknown. However, far and away the strangest aspect of this planet is the life-like "behavior" it exhibits. Many things on this planet, namely its potential for creation, merit investigation, and it is the current primary focus of my research in the upcoming times."

The Metabol:
"My first experience on Anabol's surface proved very insightful, yet dangerous. Upon inhalation I could feel my mind distorting, speeding up, and becoming empowered, while yet cracking as if to shatter. I saw what I have concluded are hallucinations; my family, located eons and dimensions away, seemed to materialize in front of me, while various parts of my body dissolved. The world warped around me, rolling as if the sea, and the sky emitted an ear-piercing scream reminiscient of my killing days. Had I not divided my psyche into two pieces, I would certainly be wandering the planet in eternal delusion. It was because of this that I was also able to uncover the secrets of this phenomenon; Anabol produces a gas-like substance which alters thought processes, hastening them while undermining their sense of reality. It forces the deepest parts of one's mind to the surface and destroys their sanity; it also produces much more interesting effects at differing concentrations, as I have encountered with certain lifeforms which harvest the gas.

I spent weeks mastering the properties of this gas as it interacts with me, but I have only begun to see what it does to other lifeforms. I do not wish to employ souls I have thus far collected for mere experimental purposes; they are far too valuable for such usage. For now, I have dubbed the phenomenon "The Metabol", and am contemplating a solution to my shortage of test subjects."
Last edited by TwilightShade on Fri May 18, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TwilightShade
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rilla on Sat May 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Permitting we are able to post - I may be interested.

Rilla
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheSummerian on Sat May 12, 2012 4:19 pm

I am interested as is a friend of mine. But I would like to discuss the tier system with you over pm if thats ok.

TheSummerian
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Sat May 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Oh hell, you know I'm down.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Sat May 12, 2012 8:28 pm

TheSummerian wrote:I am interested as is a friend of mine. But I would like to discuss the tier system with you over pm if thats ok.

Certainly. Feel free to message me with any concerns, comments, or questions you have.

Also, please link to whatever character you guys will be entering as so I may review it.

TwilightShade
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nitenovanavium on Sun May 13, 2012 12:38 am

dial me in ^^

though your tier system is confusing, and it doesn't look like it has much to do with power-scaling :/

so being able to exist in space is tier 3 but being like... Goku is tier 2
Friend of many, god of none.

Nitenovanavium
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Sun May 13, 2012 8:06 am

Nitenovanavium wrote:dial me in ^^

though your tier system is confusing, and it doesn't look like it has much to do with power-scaling :/

so being able to exist in space is tier 3 but being like... Goku is tier 2

This tier system, although presented as final, is actually under development. The previous edition needed the current Tier 2 split into two tiers cause it was a bit too broad, so I chose an environmental requirement because I felt that's what higher power characters were commonly able to surpass at a certain point. The entire system is based off of metagame shifts that are guaranteed to occur as characters become more powerful rather than comparisons or other static benchmarks. The point is to be able to able to sort all the "complex" characters and "fringe situations" where a guy seems like he could be either, hence why it's a little algorithmic in how you sort. The other cases take care of themselves.

If needed I can provide examples using my own characters, cause it seems like the only problem atm is Tier 3's description, which I will revise whenever I can.

I will be helping others sort their own characters as needed, of course.

TwilightShade
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkManticoreX2 on Sun May 13, 2012 6:06 pm

We're going by the same power level guidelines as the previous tournaments:

Anime League, Tier 6 wrote:Level 6 || The charisma and influence necessary to muster an army of elite soldiers, and access to the technology needed to build and operate a small space craft capable of interstellar travel (or a magic dragon from the future, whatever floats your boat). A revolutionary, extremely potent and refined control over one or several elements, usage of alchemy, ninjutsu, etc. Highly adept and skilled weapon dexterity and skill. Superhuman reflexes, speed, and agility. Able to lift 2000 lbs several times. Your powers and skills rival those of Gandalf the White, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Himura Kenshin at their best.

DarkManticoreX2
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nitenovanavium on Mon May 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Cool, thanks for that. So,
I'm thinking of kickstarting this off with my character Samhain: i guess he'd be Tier 2...realistic? Define reality :P
He uses the mythos of a direct myth, and is not just pulled out of the aether. And he could simply fit into a post human category.

Name:Samhain
Gener: Male
Race: Fairfolk, Wyrd kin, Sidhe

Height: 6'11" (with tophat)
Weight: 190Ibs
Build: Slender, fit, toned, like a male dancer

Attire/appearance: Black tophat, black open tailed tuxedo coat, shined leather hobnail boots. body seemingly painted black with ivory white skin/ designs appearing in the pattern of human bones.

Equipment: Sword/ Cane which comes to a silver tip.

Abilities: Chosen 3 shadows:
1/ Shadow of the world, allows him to solidify and exist as a living shadow, allowing him to apply by the laws of shade and light fefraction. As well as shapeshift

2/ Shadow of the moon, allows him to take the form of a Royal Sidhe. Allowing him a general all round boost in statistic performance

3/ Shadow of the sun, Umbramancy (in short)
The power to control external shadow and solidify it into a hardened structure which has the texture and hardness of dry ice. Shadow casted must be in someway linked to him Which stops him from instantly turning the shadow casted by your clothing or armour into a blender. Shadow he controls is JET black, making it descernable and obvious.

Is this okay?

Nitenovanavium
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sharingan User on Tue May 15, 2012 12:19 pm

May I join into this tournament? It seems to be fun!

Sharingan User
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Tue May 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Nitenovanavium wrote:Character entry

Is this okay?

Accepted. Keep tabs on the thread for updates and brackets.

Sharingan User wrote:May I join into this tournament? It seems to be fun!

Of course. Post your character sheet or PM it to me so we can review it. You will be notified here or via PM if it is accepted.

TwilightShade
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkManticoreX2 on Wed May 16, 2012 9:28 pm

We could use some submissions people!

HYPE!

DarkManticoreX2
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Fri May 18, 2012 9:17 am

Submitted my sheet. Dunno where to hype, soz.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Fri May 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I will be updating the information section with critical information on Anabol and The Metabol. Everyone signing up for the tournament should read these sections. There will be more posted tomorrow on The Mitoch, Organocean, and Amygdala; and finally, the Stage Selection, Rubric, and Bracket will be posted once sign-ups have been completed.

TwilightShade
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iowa90 on Sun May 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Missed the second one but I am willing to give this a go again. Past two have been fairly successful so I have faith in Twilight (especially since he has Manti to keep him in check) to run a good tourney. :)

Sign me up but 5 days to create a character is a hassle. I will try to get something put together soon.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!!!
"Truth be told... I couldn't lay a finger on the man."

iowa90
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Mon May 21, 2012 2:50 pm

Will be updating the second post with the promised info sometime today.

Also, there is a two week extension on the sign up period. Sign ups now end Friday, June 8th, 2012 at 4:00pm EST.

TwilightShade
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkManticoreX2 on Wed May 23, 2012 3:15 pm

I have a feeling the death of Murderbrawl and the way it fell apart might be making people distrust tournaments. Otherwise either something big is going on elsewhere, or a wild strain of lazy flu has hit the battle arena.

DarkManticoreX2
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Thu May 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Certainly seems that way. We haven't even got shit talking in the OOC thread.

This is unreasonable and unheard of!

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athanasius on Sun May 27, 2012 9:33 am

Certainly seems that way. We haven't even got shit talking in the OOC thread.

This is unreasonable and unheard of!

If you want, I can come in and remedy this issue. I'm pretty good at displaying my assumed arrogance, and using it to really get under people's skin.

Probably has something to do with my superiority as a human being over most everyone I've ever come into contact with. ;)

Athanasius
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!