Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation »

Players Wanted: Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted »

Grimm: Shards of Home (Adv.Lit IntCheck)

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Grimm: Shards of Home (Adv.Lit IntCheck)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittleSun1 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:51 pm

Hello there! I’ve had this idea for quite a while and I’m hoping I can spark some interest. Rather than trying to explain it though, here’s the prose…
-----
The children went to bed that night, all over the world. But when four of them woke up, they were somewhere else. Not in America, or China, or England, or wherever they were from… but Grimm. A different world centuries back in time. Now, with only their wits, their own magic, and an unusual friend to guide them, they must find their way home.

The only way to do this, to travel from Grimm to Earth, is with Shards; material embodiments of pure power, something created when a person accomplishes astounding feats, faces fears, saves lives… when they become a hero. Anyone is capable of this really, but their creation seems to come most naturally to Otherworlders; those from everywhere but Grimm. You see, a buildup of unused human magic flows around them. Upon their arrival, it pours out into Grimm. This causes a process that might take decades or a lifetime for a Grimmlander to occur in just a handful of years or, in the rarest of cases, months. There are, of course, the Untouched: those who are simply not gifted with magic. No matter how deep their want, how strong their soul, they are as incapable of conjuring a spell as any inhuman creature you will find in Grimm. For them, this trial will be grueling and perhaps they will never leave but, with hope and heart, a Shard may find them yet…

It takes more than one Shard for a person to return home, and you must join forces with another Otherworlder to do so, but a single Shard is capable of nearly anything else. In fact, it’s capable of everything else; it will grant one wish.

If you never hope to go home, Grimm will give you anything.
-----
It’s possible that, even upon returning home (for those that do), their tale won’t be over. There’s adulthood, return, Grimm leaking over… Or maybe waking up will be enough.

Some info I couldn’t really incorporate into the above…

I will be the DM, the GM, the Storyteller; whatever you’d like to call it. I’ll also play this role through your guide the “unusual friend”. I plan for us to use a simple dice and character-point system (which would involve strength, intelligence, charisma, and magic) for all combat and ‘challenges’.

We would be playing children ages 7 to 12 and, so long as you’re well informed, each could be of any nationality. Our children, of which there would be up to four, would be built around any of the archetypes found at this link: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/grimm/media/Grimm_SampleChapter.pdf (this is the site of the original Grimm game, which I haven’t actually played but looks awesome.).

Oh and, most importantly, this roleplay is strictly Advanced Literate. I don’t expect, or want, ultra long (or even long) posts but I will not tolerate low quality characters and content. Your posts should be enjoyable! If we ever get around to character applications, I’m not going to waver on this. If that means turning someone down, or not running the roleplay at all, then that’s how it is. Just warning you now!

It’s just sorta hit me how optimistic I must be feeling right now to even hope for interest check responses to this, but then I'll also be posting this on Gaia so I guess I'll just see where I get the best response…

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions!
Because I'm Broken When I'm Lonesome
And I Don't Feel Right When You're Gone Away
~>xx<~
LITTLESUN1

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LittleSun1
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Grimm: Shards of Home (Adv.Lit IntCheck)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Urelasticreflection on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:06 pm

I really like this. It better take off. If it doesn't I shall be very soul-crushingly disappointed. I've heard of Grimm, but never looked into it.

▲ ▲

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Urelasticreflection
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittleSun1 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Thanks for your interest Urelasticreflection! So much for topic subscription though, I definitely did not get an email about your post...

Anyway, if things go even slightly well, 'taking off' shouldn't take all that long. We only need two or three others after all!

Any idea what Archetype you'd want to play?

LittleSun1
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Missy Scarlet on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:39 pm

I'd most likely sign up! Or... rather try anyway. I like the idea a lot. :)

Missy Scarlet
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:59 pm

I'd be pretty interested in giving this a bash, whilst I'm not familiar with Grimm per-say I enjoy the concept and I'm always capable of background reading on it. Saying that I did have an original plot idea with a similar theme to this which is probably why I'm keen on getting in on this. So colour me interested and if you can provide any resources to read from, that'd be lovely. ;)

Nyxeth
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittleSun1 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:43 pm

@ Providence: Well, the only real Grimm resource I have to offer is the character guide above. It's really the only section of the game that inspired this idea anyways though, so you'd be on the same page as me in reading it. Other than that, I'm aiming for a sort of Narnia/Dungeons and Dragons crossover, so if you're familiar with either, thing'll go just great!

@ Missy Scarlet: Glad to know it interests you!
----
I'm going to wait a few more days before starting on the OOC and character applications, but I'll keep checking in. I aim to get those up some time around the weekend.

LittleSun1
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittleSun1 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:19 am

Didn't know we're aloud to do this here...
Bump!

LittleSun1
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittleSun1 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:23 am

Oh, and question for anyone who may happen upon this before the roleplay's up (or check back after indicating interest). I was just looking through the RPG library, and happened upon an article that suggested 1024 characters as a the "perfect posting length" (limit) to encourage posts to be "focused, concise, and interesting". I had already been considering something like this for Grimm, a 400 word limit previously, and I think this could really give our posting some momentum, pose a challenge, and promote quality over quantity while still having literate content (and saving us a heck of a lot of time).

The article can be found here (http://www.roleplaygateway.com/good-practices-play-post-roleplays-t43822.html) if anyone's interested, with the posting length section near the bottom of the post. I think I'm going to go ahead with it, but I just wanted to give a heads up. The roleplay tab should be up sooner than expected!

(Just to give you an idea, this post is 1022 characters long.)

LittleSun1
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aurel on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:51 pm

I find myself really interested in this RP. It seems like it could be a fun and interesting experience, especially since I've...never head of Grimm before. I'd like to try this out . :)

Aurel
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittleSun1 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:44 am

The roleplay tab is complete, you'll find it here! Can't wait to see some of your characters!

LittleSun1
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittleSun1 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:31 am

Haha, okay... Guess I'll try this again some other time, maybe a little differently...

LittleSun1
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Missy Scarlet on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:17 pm

I'll join for sure. Just let me get my character type chosen. ><

Missy Scarlet
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!