Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas » Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? »

Players Wanted: OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner »

GT2008: The Main OOC (Finals Begin 11/28)

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

GT2008: The Main OOC (Finals Begin 11/28)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed May 07, 2008 11:24 pm

Every two years, the Grand Tournament opens its gates and invites fighters who have ranked well in the GT League. Fighters forged from every corner of the world dream of competing in the Grand Tournament.

The winner of the Tournament establishes his place as the greatest fighter of an era - a legend that lasts forever.

Without further ado, I bring to you the esteemed text fighting event, the Grand Tournament.

The Grand Tournament 2008
The list of the competitors and their profiles can be found in the Official GT2008 Fighter Roster.
(Yes, the above mosaic contains custom artwork for each fighter done by Ingrid, the leader of the RolePlayGateway Design Team. She is currently accepting commissions!)

RolePlayGateway will be hosting the event this time around, and we've got a couple new things to bring to the tournament that we hope everyone will enjoy.

First up is the fact that all tournament functions will be [b]in character
- you will pick one character to enter, and will roleplay through the events. However, all victories will be given to the in character victor, and the brackets will be held and organized in a single-elimination structure.

Additionally, you can still win awards if you lose! This means we'll be giving out recognition and prizes for things such as best character concept, most entertaining fight, greatest sport, and best roleplayer, among others.

A number of invitations will be issued over the course of the next few days. You will receive an invitation based upon your record in the GT League, as you've hopefully been recording the results of your fights around the web. After invitations have been sent, we will open a limited amount of slots available for general registration. This means anyone can sign up, from anywhere, until these slots are full.

Prizes!
- All contestants will receive a free 14-day trial of EVE Online, courtesy of the RolePlayGateway administration.
- All fights will automatically be added to the GT League, allowing the fighters to use the signatures wherever they'd like. (See my signature for an example)
- Award winners will receive a custom t-shirt ($25 value!)
- We're still accepting sponsors, and there's a few prizes we haven't announced yet. Stay tuned!

Official Rules!
We'll have an official list of rules up soon.

Questions, comments, feedback, and general discussion belongs in this thread.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 18 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Rules and Progression of The GT2008

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed May 07, 2008 11:25 pm

General Tournament Rules
All tournament events will be in character.
There will be a place where fighters can congregate and talk the obligatory smack, in a separate in-character thread. This is a consistent world, and actions in these threads will carry over to the following events, and fighters can only be in one place at a time.

There will be a 30 day time limit on all matches.
If at the end of this time period a winner has not emerged from combat, both fighters (regardless of condition) will be immediately transported to their corners to await decision.

There will be a 3 day response time limit on all matches.
Once a post goes up, there is a 72 hour time limit on the response from the opponent. Failure to meet this time limit will permit the last poster to make another post, skipping your turn.

New 6/26!!! If an opponent does not show within the first 7 days, they will be replaced.
There is a waiting list of fighters that will be used as replacements if a fighter does not show within the first 7 days of their fight. Please make sure your account is set up to use your current contact information (including a correct email address).

Actions will be voided if the poster can not accurately explain them within the post.
Your writing clarity is the sole vehicle for you to control your character, and the lack of sufficient clarity in your post will result in the post being declared invalid. If you use an ability that is beyond the scope of reality, you will be expected to provide ample information in your post on the way the ability works. Failure to explain your movements and actions will likely result in misinterpretation of your intent, you have been warned.

Obfuscation of your writing is unacceptable. I recommend that you run your posts through various readability calculators to ensure that your posts can be understood by everyone involved. (A good Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level to aim for is "10", which reflects the estimated grade level of understanding required to understand the text.)

All participants will display sportsmanlike conduct.
This is a prestigious event, and all participants' conduct should reflect the Grand Tournament's ideals and status as a respectable sporting event. I will personally throw you out of this tournament if you act like an ass. Enough said.

Roleplay Ramifications
For the purposes of providing an in-character explanation for participants who plan to use characters who are in use elsewhere during the time of this tournament, all events taking place during the Grand Tournament are taking place in their own dimension.

Participants will be summoned in all of their ability and wholeness into this dimension at the commencement, where time will transpire as in normal timespace, but frozen to those outside of the GT Dimension. Participants may leave at any time to return to the exact moment in time where they left, but once a participant has left the GT Dimension, they can not return.

It is up to the participants to determine how they wish to play their character's responses in other non-Tournament roleplays to this instantaneous interruption of consciousness, as upon their return they will have experienced any number of events and will have full recollection of them. For some characters, this may be a bit disorienting, but again - this is up to the individual player.

As metaversal roleplay goes, events that transpire here in the GT Dimension and any permanent effects are permanent when within this realm, but do not have physical ramifications outside of this world.

Other notable properties of the GT Dimension:
- Healing techniques of any sort (magical, technological, or natural) will not function.
- Quanta-dependent technology functions on an emulated level, as the GT Dimension only exists within a traditional 4D planar timespace. (Quantum fields and manipulations will not function, but anything within the physical realm will.)

Fighting Guidelines and Practices
As always, fighters may agree to deviate from requirements on fight procedures set by the GT Officials, but agreements must be publicly stated by both parties before the fight begins.

Fights will default to these basic rules:
- Closed posts
Attacks must make logical sense, and must be completed in a second post after the opponent has had the opportunity to attempt an equally logical avoidance.
- Equality of posts and preparations (preps)
The attack (or defense) strength is equal to the number of posts made for that action. All individual posts are equal in strength, but posts can be stacked if you clearly state that you are preparing for an action.

Any other rules such as length, quality, and style will go unset, and if the fighters choose to set these - they are not binding unless both parties agree.

Characters and Abilities
To be announced at a later date.

The Arena
All matches will take place in a nondescript (and mostly destructible) ring 30 meters in diameter, made of the same flat white marble as the rest of the GT Dimension's buildings. An additional 10 meters of grass extends outward from the edge of the raised ring, finally meeting a 10 meter wall which rises into the stands surrounding the ring. The descent to the ground from the ring is a mere meter, and serves as a clearly defined boundary between the out-of-bounds area and the actual combat arena.

At no point in time are the competitors permitted to touch the ground at any point outside of the ring, or the match will end in a ring-out, declaring the remaining party the winner. Transversal outside of normal four-dimensional timespace (or, at least as normal as the GT Dimension can be) as well as backwards transit on the plane of time will result in the offending party being disqualified.

The stands surrounding the ring are filled with spectators that will have arrived just prior to the start of the tournament (by just a few days). At no point during a match should harm come to the audience, else the immediate disqualification and forceful removal of the offending party will become the primary focus of the GT League staff.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 18 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: The Grand Tournament 2008: The Main Thread (OOC)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed May 07, 2008 11:25 pm

Fighter Standings
GT League ranking is listed in parentheses.

#1. Ichi-gou, played by SSJ3Mewtwo (#1)
#2. Spencer, played by Circ (#2)
#3. Dusk, played by Kouketsu (#3)
#4. Master, played by Remæus (#6)
#5. Katana Ashigaru, played by Arrogance (#8)
#6. Asimov Turscadine, played by Asimov (#12)
#7. Heat, played by Heat (#17)
#8. Holy One, played by Sonata (#18)
#9. Bastion Emmanuel, played by Rize (#25)
#10. Baptista De Aurum, played by Lelouch Vi Britannia (#33)
#11. Alucroas, played by Oni-Link (#98)
#12. Endymion Oleander, played by Hellias
#13. Skallagrim Cughtagh, played by Skallagrim
#14. Xaul Knofker, played by TwinDeath
#15. Asurai Valentine, played by Asurai
#16. Subaru Nakajima, played by Ryand Smith
#17. Daemon Reakaris, played by wandering-random
#18. Valkyarc, played by Zen Vicious
#19. Bishop Windsor Arcanum, played by Grand Arcanum
#20. Discipline, played by ProfessorM
#21. Rykel Stormshadow, played by Ahzrei
#22. Katsutoshi Kazuki, played by FullMetalBoy
#23. Reminiscence, played by Matthias
#24. Jack, played by Sidhefaer
#25. Akira “Keoki” Sakurazaki, played by Akira-Sakurazaki
#26. Ryan Michels, played by Doomrider
#27. Sirocco, played by TwilightShade
#28. Kiyoshi Kazami, played by FutureKiyoshi
#29. Leeo Tandory, played by Leeo
#30. Jessica Tell, played by Kanji
#31. Ethan Harte, played by Peryite (Anonymous)
#32. Yami, played by Yami-Dokuro

What is the Grand Tournament?
The Grand Tournament is an invitation-only tournament that invites fighters from around the world with already established records, and it takes place just once every two years. The best way to establish an official record is to record the fights you've had using the GT League Hall of Records, which allows you to record the results from any fight, on any site, at any time.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belgorion on Wed May 07, 2008 11:47 pm

So how do you go about getting an open spot once the invites are sent? I am interested in entering.

Belgorion
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Milliardo Yuy on Wed May 07, 2008 11:50 pm

Should former participents who kept a score in the lastr GT league get an invatation?

Write during the writing stage.
Edit during the editing stage.
Kevin J. Anderson

Milliardo Yuy
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu May 08, 2008 6:58 am

Belgorion wrote:So how do you go about getting an open spot once the invites are sent? I am interested in entering.

We will announce when open registrations are available to the general public.

Milliardo Yuy wrote:Should former participents who kept a score in the lastr GT league get an invatation?

Invitations will be issued to fighters who have proven that they are formidable opponents based on their official record. (We will measure this by looking at the single most comprehensive text-based recordbook on the web, the GT League.)

Remæus
Architect
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJ3Mewtwo on Thu May 08, 2008 11:13 am

I received my invitation, and I accept. I'm ready and willing to convert as many internet sparring characters as I possibly can into anthros, and look forward to this wonderful opportunity that you have provided.

SSJ3Mewtwo
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Thu May 08, 2008 11:50 am

This tournament should definitely be interesting with the new crop of fighters that have been showing up recently. My only real worry is that we'll end up getting the same pre-flames that produced the clusterfuck long before the tournament even started.

Alucroas
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJ3Mewtwo on Thu May 08, 2008 11:53 am

I think RPGateway is a little more strict with how they enforce their conduct than the GT board itself is (was, since I don't let stuff like that slide anymore). And this forum overall is a bit more open and welcoming than others I've been to.

SSJ3Mewtwo
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Thu May 08, 2008 12:22 pm

I doubt I shall be invited, but I look forward to watching what becomes of the Tournament.
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJ3Mewtwo on Thu May 08, 2008 12:29 pm

If you don't get an invite you can still join via the open to the public slots that will be available.

SSJ3Mewtwo
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Thu May 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Ah!

That's alright then. I may well just enter, for shits and giggles.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DJcross on Thu May 08, 2008 3:55 pm

I received the invitation.

ACCEPTED.

DJcross
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sonata on Thu May 08, 2008 4:37 pm

I have received an invitation, and I will stay with this tournament for as long as IRL allows me to. I am in college, and I will be taking summer classes and transfering over to a distant university, we'll see what happens. I accept.
ImageI am an American Soldier.

The Maker of Epic Role Plays
The Chef Ramsay of RP

Role Play Consultant -If you need help with anything role play-related or concerning your writing ability, drop me a line.

Sonata
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IKnowGoodSparrers on Sun May 11, 2008 12:06 pm

I'll not be participating. Thanks for the invite, however.

IKnowGoodSparrers
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Sun May 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Has there been a set date yet, as to when we'll be able to sign up, coupled with when the actual tournament will begin, so we can make sure we have time on our schedules?

Alucroas
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJ3Mewtwo on Sun May 11, 2008 1:21 pm

The email I received says that invitations slots stay locked until June 13th. I believe Eric plans to open the general admission slots then with the remaining unaccepted invitation places and the predetermined number.

SSJ3Mewtwo
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tacitus on Sun May 11, 2008 4:58 pm

I will most likely not be able to keep up activity so I will not be participating.
David Anthony Roberts, aka Dilbert. Dec 2, 1986-Jan 5, 2006
Rest in peace, Random Man.

Tacitus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circ on Sun May 11, 2008 5:11 pm

The prospect of being turned into some strange creature by Mewmew does sound quite arousing.

Also: Not my character, but a good reference. The character I am using is Nal.

Okay. Maybe not anymore. :(
conditio sine qua non

Circ
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJ3Mewtwo on Sun May 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Thank you for the sig material :)

SSJ3Mewtwo
Member for 17 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!