Hacker's Oasis

a topic in Futuristic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Hacker's Oasis

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nostalgia on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Cybernetic Oasis

In 2110, hacking is not just a crime anymore; it is a way of life. A dangerous way of life. Hacking techniques and counter techniques are constantly growing in a never-ending struggle. For those who are caught, the penalty is death. But where there are laws, there are those who will break them.

Many hackers went underground, disappearing from public life. They purchased equipment from the black market and joined to form secret coalitions of hackers. Eventually those were ratted out; nowadays their numbers dwindle.

However, a lone person sought to change this. Known only as Omen amongst the chat rooms, and forums, his legacy is well known by novices and veterans alike. He compromised many systems, and usually could bring a computer to its knees with little effort. Eventually his attacks stopped; some people thought he had been captured and killed. In truth, he had gone underground, slowly recruiting a team of young hackers to operate from his hidden ‘base’.

In truth, it was an abandoned office building near the edge of the industrial district. Though it was old and rundown, it still supplied power to the dozens of computer terminals hidden on the top floor. Actually, the entire top floor had been redone; there was everything a hacker could want. A program library, dozens of computer terminals, a central mainframe, blazingly fast net access, unparalleled defense measures; these goodies and many more met those whom ‘Omen’ had recruited to his ‘cult’ of underground hackers.

In this day and age, everything runs on computers, from houses to vehicles. Massive corporations run the cities, seeking only personal gain, while leaving everyone else to fend for themselves.

While there are police, they simply work for whomever has the most bribes. And now, young hackers representing their generation, seek to try and make things right by taking down the massive mega-corps, and restoring order to the government. Somehow...

//Incoming E-mail...

To: Addresslist.lst

Dear Esteemed Hacker,

I've been watching you for some time now. I believe your skills may be of use to us. I say 'us', as representing the hacker community, but right now I seek to build my own little band, if you will. Things are amiss, as you might know, but before I make my offer, let me introduce myself.

I am Omen, the very same one that has disappeared from the hacker community. I can't make you believe me but I am not a fanboy or a copycat. But that is irrelevant. What is relevant is how much you're willing to put on the line for the good of everyone else.

How much would you wager to make things right? Everything? Your system, even your life?

I ask you to join me. Instructions are provided in the attachment; scan it for a virus if you wish. If I wanted to infect your machine I would have done so ages ago. Should you not be in the area, a plane ticket will be mailed to you.

This is your chance to make things right. We can help everyone; all we need is each other, and the horde of technology that awaits you if you should join me.

If you accept, simply show up within a week. If you wish not to (and I respect your wishes of personal safety), simply ignore this e-mail and go about your daily life.

Omen

P.S. If you are more comfortable on your machine, bring it. You will be safe here, but you may be here a while.

All characters start in front of the office building; this is the address that was included in the directions. Also note that this is a post-modern roleplay, so cybernetic enhancements are common. Don't go overboard with them. PM Bios to me.

Code: Select all
[b]Online Alias:[/b]
[b]Real Name:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b] Include things like age, looks, special traits, ect.
[b]Charisma:[/b]Your character's personality.
[b]History:[/b] What got them into hacking is most important but put some detail on other aspects of their lives.
[b]Hacking experience:[/b] You're young adults; you haven't hacked into the pentagon, but its okay to have several years of experience under your belt.
[b]Equipment:[/b] Namely, your computer. Feel free to make up components, but no super-computers. It can be high-end, however. But only what the general public has access to. Optional.
[b]Weapon:[/b] Yes, there will be fighting but a weapon is not required. Usually a gun of some sort.

Rules
You knew it was coming:
~No godmoding
~This is a literate roleplay; I expect quality over quantity. That being said, length is good, but I don't want to have to read a novel for each post.
~If you have a mini-story arc idea, PM me. Otherwise please stick to the plot.
~Do NOT post unless you have been accepted.
~I would prefer if you have some knowledge of computers but this is not necessary. I'd like you to know what I mean when I talk about a brute force attack, but I don't expect you to be able to explain rainbow tables.

Online Alias: Omen
Appearance: At 19, it's surprising how much damage he has caused by hacking into other systems. He has firey red hair and a slender frame as one would expect from sitting in front of a computer for so long. Quite a few freckles dot his face while a red shirt matches orange hair. He has a black fingerless glove on each hand, though it's not clear what purpose they serve.
Charisma: He recognized early on that things were not as they should be, and sought to right them. He is fiercely dedicated to his work, and does not appreciate goofing off. While the occasional joke is okay, nonstop mucking around is unacceptable.
History: Having been interested with computers since he was a child, he realized early on that things were not as they were supposed to have. With a knack for finding loopholes and security flaws, Sven brought down one of the largest corporate computer networks for near a week, exploiting a complicated flaw that had been missed by the security teams. Because he had been merely testing and exploring, this success spurred him onwards, and his skill and practice skyrocketed. Now he has directly compromised hundreds of systems, and indirectly affected thousands others. Because he was so successful, he felt it best to disappear for a while, and avoid unwanted attention but he still decided to work behind the scenes. Now he has returned in order to help prospective new hackers in a friendly environment.
Hacking experience: The legendary Omen, who brought countless corporations to bankruptcy as they attempted to undo the damage he'd done to their systems. He is an expert hacker, and has a fair number of both successes and failures to keep him from getting cocky. Despite this, he has caused a substantial amount of damage.
Equipment: 4 Oct-Core parallel processors, "Magic 8" 60TB HDD array, 512GB RAM, Variable 32in holographic display, "Fortress" hardwired firewall, custom OS. This is a high end machine, built from top of the line custom parts, all in a streamlined case. It contains all of his hacking software and has amazing power and speed for calculations. However, he decides to stick to traditional models, instead of more advanced virtual reality models. Keyboards and mice are even being phased out.
Weapon: Handgun, and the numerous, numerous traps that have been set up to protect them, both from external intrusion, and the net.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nostalgia
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Hacker's Oasis

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Valekor on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:12 pm

A fourteen year old kid, no taller than five feet and two inches, dressed in army pants, black sneakers and covered by a bright red poncho that reached to his toes stood inside the front office. He had just entered and had stopped in front of the entrance/exit, letting his ice-blue gaze slid across the room with an open mouth. He was a bit uncertain on what to do and where to go from here though.

Jared had been quite surprised to receive the email when he had, but had also been rather excited. Whether or not this ‘Omen’ was the real deal was of less concern to Jared then the fact that somebody had actually –acknowledged- his abilities. Almost as soon as he had finished reading the email he had opened the attachment –without scanning it for viruses- and followed the instructions to the letter.

His excitement had gotten the better of him and he had not questioned the contents, the instructions, or what this persons motives were. With his heart beating in his throat from excitement, he had waited for the plane ticket to arrive for two days, making sure his parents didn’t see it. And as an excuse to get away, he had asked if he could stay with family for a few weeks. Of course, Jared had never gotten on the actual plane to his family and had instead take a different one as soon as he had the chance to slip away.

And now that he was standing in this office building that looked pretty rundown to him, he was unsure what to do next. He was scared that he’d been pranked and what would happen should he return home from his little ‘excursion’. Uncertain and a bit afraid, he gripped the black shoulder bag which contained his ‘keyboard PC’ and VR glasses. Surely somebody would arrive soon?

Jared walked over to the side and sat down on the ground, putting the bag on top of his lap and gripping it tight while keeping an eye on the entrance. “I’ll wait ‘till the sun starts to set..” Jared mumbled “I can still hop a ride back before it’s dark.. I think..”
Satophail: While not uncommon, Satophail is a degrading condition that targets the mind, heart, and self-confidence. If you find yourself making startlingly horrible fails with increasing regularity, contact your Doctor immediately.

Satophail
The cure
Cloasse lost it. Again.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Valekor
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nostalgia on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:08 am

Sven had an eye on Jared from the moment he walked into the building. The security system, while old, still provided him with a view of every level of the office building, as well as the perimeter. He leaned back in his chair a bit, letting Jared stew for a while. He was young; hopefully his parents wouldn't come looking. After he figured Jared had waited long enough, he tapped into the intercom.
"So, you actually showed up. I'm impressed...take the stairs to the top floor; the elevator is booby trapped."

Sven watched Jared closely from the many screens that surrounded him. Six or seven flights of stairs later, Jared would find himself on the top floor, which had been completely cleared to make room for a myriad of equipment. There were sever racks lining the walls, with several stations. In the center, there were eight workstations arranged in a circle, their monitors facing outwards for some measure of privacy. The entire room was wrapped in a gentle black and cyan color scheme, with circuitry painted on the walls. At the far side, there was an exceptionally out of place, large, red button, with a sign: Press in case of emergency. That sort of broke the appreciation of the room...just what was Jared getting himself into?

Sven turned around in his chair to face the door, dramatically. He wasn't much older than Jared, looking like a college man of sorts. "Welcome to my humble little lair. Hopefully, we should be joined by others, soon enough." He didn't get up, or offer to shake Jared's hand. "I'm going to assume your parents didn't actually let you scamper off to save the world with a band of underground hackers."

Nostalgia
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Valekor on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:21 am

Jared had waited 10, maybe 15 minutes without seeing so much as a single soul enter the building. It wasn’t –that- long but it felt like an eternity and the floor was cold too. Curling up into a ball while pressing his PC tight to his chest he remained to keep his eyes locked on the door. He was considering if it would be best to just leave now, the place seemed pretty abandoned to him.

First a buzz and then the sudden burst of sound filled the room as Jared heard somebody speak, apparently directed towards him. It had startled him and made him jump up, but after few seconds he’d recovered control of his legs and started to climb the flights of stars. “Booby trapped?” Jared muttered to himself while climbing the stars “This some kind of bad action flick?” he spoke and made a wry face.

Arriving at the top floor, Jared’s jaw dropped immediately and he had to control himself from wanting to jump behind one of the consoles to see what stunts he could pull with the equipment.
His excitement only increased as his eyes noticed server racks lining the walls. He made a mental note to test out their security as soon as he’d have the chance.

The welcome had been lost on Jared, he hadn’t heard it, and Jared didn’t bother offering to shake Sven’s hand either as his comment abruptly brought him back to reality.
"I'm going to assume your parents didn't actually let you scamper off to save the world with a band of underground hackers." “Save.. the world?” Jared muttered a bit confused, as his gaze finally turned towards Sven. “I’m just here to… hack” Jared replied with a boyish grin, scratching the back of his head and looking utterly confused.

Valekor
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nostalgia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 pm

"Bad action flick? No," He replied, "But I can't have people who don't belong poking around here." The intercom snapped off as Jared left. Sven watched Jared all the way up, amused at his reaction to the layout. It was impressive though. Sven had put a lot of time and effort into the place.

Sven narrowed his eyes a little bit, "My email was serious, you know." He said, "There are things going on, that are larger than you or me." He looked sternly at Jared. "People may even want you dead for working with me."

Jared was young, perhaps not fully understanding the magnitude of what Sven was proposing.

Nostalgia
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby regany on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:01 pm

"Fuck sake where the fuck am I now," she cursed but as she wanted to turn around to ask the cab driver, he had already driven off. "This can't be hackers paradise," she muttered. After a few steps around the corner she saw the old worn street sign and concluded it had to be the place. Unable to find a bell she banged the door a few times.

When nobody responded to her calls she got agitated. "Fuck man I knew it. Omen is dead and I fell for it." She kinda expected the police to show up anytime soon to arrest her for even responding. Although she had traced the email back to the address it said on the letter, the same address she was standing at now, it could still be cops.

Her flight was long and tiresome and the foresight of having it done for nothing got her berserk. She banged the doors again and yelled. Surely somebody had to show up. They didn't let her cross half the globe for a prank. Should the cops come she had no doubt she would be able to outwit them. It wasn't as if she had a lot too loose in her life. Her life in her backpack and the suitcase. The only component she couldn't bring was her monitor, which she loved.

"Hello? You might wanna open the door here. I'm growing roots soon!"
True heroes never die, they stay legends.

regany
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Valekor on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:29 am

Jared’s grin had faded like snow before the sun and the look on his face was more of uncertainty then confusing. It was true that Jared did not fully understood the magnitude of the decision he’d made but the look on his face showed that he was reprocessing the information in his brain. And he didn’t like the conclusions he’d come to.
“Well, no turning back now..” Jared spoke under his breath.

After a deep sigh, Jared’s facial expression turned into something much more serious then he’d shown so far. “They also said that at school, that the government would kill me because I could hack.” Jared paused for a moment, thinking back to the time he got caught and was brought to the principal’s office. The guy had threatened to call the police if he didn’t tell them his secrets, there had been no negotiation just threats.

“But everyone can hack!” Jared continued, sounding fired up “It’s not that hard either! It’s just like learning math ‘n stuff! And I never crash peoples computers! I just go in and look for interesting stuff!” Jared sighed again and his gaze turned to the floor as he fiddled with his bag which he had still in his hands. “They called me a geek and a hacker.. I just want them to know that geeks have feelings too.”

While biting his lip Jared looked up at Sven, the start of tears visible in his eyes. While looking at Sven, his eyes caught movement behind Sven. Jared had been holding his tears back, and thankful for the opportunity to change subject, Jared pointed over Sven’s shoulder and nodded. “Look! There’s someone knocking on the door!”

Valekor
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nostalgia on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Sven paused, "So it would seem..." He said, glancing briefly behind him at one of the monitors. One of the security cameras had caught Zenya's movement and zoomed in on her as she stalked near the building. Sven pushed his wheeled chair to another console, pressing the intercom, "Come on up, before you bust a blood vessel," Sven said; the door she was banging on buzzed loudly, opening for her. "Take the stairs," He said, giving her the same warning she had given Jared.

He turned his attention back to Jared, "The school was right, you know. If they catch us, they will kill us." He paused, studying Jared; if the boy was going to be a liability, it may have made sense to ask him to leave. "And there aren't as many hackers as you think. It's one thing to run a script someone else wrote. It's something else entirely to pick apart a system for security flaws. Those are the true hackers."

He glanced at the monitor to make sure Zenya was heading the right way up the stairs, "You can still back out now," He said to Jared, "But if you elect to stay there's no turning back."

Nostalgia
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby regany on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:36 pm

"Booby trapped, my ass," she had to resist in getting the elevator down and sent it back up. Without her in it of course. Omen still had not proven himself yet and the booby trap could be a police set up.

In stead of rebelling in playing the lift she looked around and found the stairs. She looked up and whistled. "Fuck sake, didn't come here to exercise." Reluctantly she climbed the stairs until she reached the floor she thought she needed to be at. There was light and the familiar sound of computer buzzes.

There was a very young kid and an older guy. "Good day. Got something to eat? I'm starving." she dropped her bags on the floor. Hearing the keyboard scratch the floor she instantly regretted dumping her bag down like that.
"American build. Should be able to take a little hit."

In reality Zenya was scared shitless and she hoped the boys would understand her through her huge east european accent.

regany
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nostalgia on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:54 pm

((To make things easier on everyone, I've made an OOC Thread for us, which can be found here: http://www.roleplaygateway.com/hacker-oasis-ooc-t17117.html. Please check it to make sure you reference character details correctly. I'll post a reply once Jared posts; I judge my reply times according to what's happening IC.))

Nostalgia
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:21 am

(OOC: I read through the first few posts and skimmed the rest, and if I'm making a major mistake, let me know. BTW, I'm Ylanne, and I'm joining this roleplay. So far, it looks good to me. :) )

Bilhah Aharon had just logged on to her email account, huddling in her leather chair, the shade drawn, the room already checked for bugs and other such devices, when she saw the email, from Omen. She read it quickly, immediately re-reading it through another dozen times. What? Why was Omen contacting her and. . . a number of other illegal hackers? He said he wanted to make things right. Her heartbeat quickened and her fingers faltered on the keyboard. Bilhah turned away, but that was a mistake. Yeshua's picture, his school portrait taken a few weeks before his murder, was framed next to the computer. As a reminder of her hacker son.

She returned to the email, memorized its contents, and deleted it, before taking extra measures to ensure no trace of it remained anywhere either in her system or on the server through which it was rerouted. Bilhah straightened in her chair and, for the second time in her life, decided to leave the safe haven she had created, a place that was becoming more dangerous every day. Last week, she had discovered a roving camera hidden in an AC adapter and had taken pains to destroy it.

She wiped her computer's hard drive clean, a task that took a good twenty minutes to ensure no hidden fragment of memory remained. She took it down the stairs to her basement and tossed it into the furnace, watching as it incinerated, utterly obliterated. Gone. Untraceable. Bilhah returned upstairs and began packing some clothes into a duffel bag, several shirts, pants, and a few skirts. A jacket, a sweater, a shawl. Shoes. Socks, unmentionables. A locket with Yeshua's picture inside. She had nothing else valuable. Bilhah picked up the framed portrait of Yeshua and after a moment of indecision, put it in the duffel bag too. She took a few forged passports and identity documents, made by expert hands, and then set the security system on her house, and then left.

A few hours later, she stood in front of an abandoned building in the industrial district, shadowed by taller, newer buildings in the center of the city--Government center, and looked up, craning her neck to see a pair of planes, squinting to make them out at over fifty thousand feet. Then she pushed open the rusting door and walked inside. Her trained eye immediately noticed the surveillance cameras, and she stood on the first stair, leaning against the wall. "I know you can hear me, somehow," she sighed, tossing her head to the side, accidentally displaying her grey hairs.
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

Stunning letter from autistic survivor of electric shock torture in USA

Ylanne
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nostalgia on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:33 pm

"Ah...our obligatory veteran joins us," He said, glancing at the screen that showed the video feed from the cameras staring at Bilhah. "Come on up," He called over the intercom once more, inviting her up the stairs as the others had been.

He gave Zenya a little wave, expecting Bilhah to show up soon after her. Their little band was finally coming together. There might be others, but he had something of a team now. A juvenile rookie, a more modern specialist, and finally the paranoid veteran. Together they would be quite formidable. He was expecting at least one other, but he had no real way to gauge if people would show up or not.

Now that they were assembled, they could all get to work. They could start righting the wrong in this world.

Nostalgia
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:10 pm

(OOC: Sorry for the short post. :/ )

Bilhah gave a short nod and then strode up the stairs, easily, almost lazily. At the top she saw the young man, the little teenager, and the young woman, whose bag was sitting on the floor. The room felt warm, but Bilhah knew that was because of the rows and rows of computers, each emitting heat and a faint whirring sound that rose and fell, rose and fell, as natural and predictable as the cadence of waves crashing against shore.

She caught everyone's stares. "Hello," she said, her eyes narrowing, sweeping the room. "I'm Bilhah. You can call me Billy." She then directed her gaze to Sven. "Where are we sleeping?" Bilhah lifted her bag. "I'd like to put my clothes away." And Yeshua's picture, she thought, unconsciously fingering her golden locket. She analyzed the people. The kid was frightened out of his wits; she could sense his anxiety seeping from him like a wave. The other woman was also afraid. She could tell from the haughty, almost defiant way, she carried herself. And Sven. He was difficult to read, she thought. Determined, maybe. Eager to get started.

Bilhah smiled.

Ylanne
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Valekor on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Jared moved his head to the side, his left ear moving to his left shoulder, while looking at Sven with that ignorant and confused look of his which seemed to be a character trait.
“They…?” Jared asked, “The bullies?” he asked again, frowning, his head moving to the other shoulder. “But they’re not like that… The principal?” Jared looked at the floor still frowning, then shook his head. “No, they’d go to jail if they’d do that..” With a sigh, Jared turned his gaze back to Sven “I don’t get-“ at that moment, Zenya barged in and announced her presence.

Jared physically and openly twitched as he heard the keyboard scratch the floor. “American keyboards are built for office clerks, not careless people..” Jared mumbled with a wry grin while looking at Zenya. First impressions were the ones that counted most they said, and to Jared, she looked clumsy.

‘course, it didn’t take long for another one to enter, also a female. Jared was wondering if Omen had invited even genders, and that they’d had to work in pairs like at school. He hated that, they never seemed to understand him. Jared scratched his head in thought, then grinned wide while looking at Bilhah after her introduction. “Billy?” he said “Isn’t that a boys name?” He laughed, finding it funny.

“Where are we sleeping?” Looking from Billy to Sven, Jared had that confused look on his face again “Sleeping.. right.. I don’t know if my parents will..” he mumbled while shuffling with his feet and looking at the floor.

Valekor
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nostalgia on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:01 pm

"No, not the bullies, the government." Sven said, shaking his head. He gave Billy a nod, in greeting. "Welcome." He said, "You will all find sleeping areas on the floor below. There's a couple of cots on this floor, for those who prefer being a bit closer to their machines." True to his word, there were a few bed frames with fresh mattresses on the floor below, with sheets and the like in a nearby closet.

"Now, Jared...I need you to understand that this is very serious...I wasn't kidding in my email. All of us here, are at risk. Granted, it's a small risk, but if we're caught, we won't be shown any mercy." He glanced to the rest of them, "I'm sure the rest of you understand that. Once you start here, Jared, there's no going back. You can't just walk away and go back to your family. Maybe when all this blows over, but if you decide to stay, you're in it for the whole trip. Got it?" He needed Jared to understand. The boy's skill could be useful, but not if he was going to drag the rest of them down.

Nostalgia
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CRYP70N1C on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:13 pm

(Sorry this is off topic, but is this still going on?)

CRYP70N1C
Member for 0 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!