Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (WARNING: Spoilers)

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: dealing with it

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (WARNING: Spoilers)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:06 am

So, thoughts on the book?

Personally, I thought the ending was absolutely amazing. I don't think there could have been any better ending for such an epic series.
STAVE: Commala-come-ki,
There's a time to live and one to die.
With your back against the final wall
Ya gotta let the bullets fly.

RESPONSE: Commala-come-ki!
Let the bullets fly!
Don't 'ee mourn for me, my lads
When it comes my day to die.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (WARNING: Spoilers)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Spasms on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:54 pm

Sorry to disagree with you, but put simply. I hated it. I hated, loathed it, despised it.

The wrong people died. About half of the book was pointless to the storyline, and seemed to be there to take up pages. The little epilogue at the end was quite pointless as well and probably was put there so in several years she can announce that she's now writing the story of their children and such.

I hate authors who write only for the money. </3
I am everything and nothing all at once, I am the imperfect perfection. I am like nothing you have ever seen, nor will ever see again, and the most common sight in existence.

I am me.

"Release the miniature throat-ripping vampire Yorkshire terriers that can control minds!"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Spasms
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Le Cruise on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:57 pm

right now im reading it, and im only on the 3rd chapter. So far though, it seems like its just like one of the other books, mothing really is standing out. IE: Harry Potter is still being under fire for one thing or another, evil people are lurking about, and a characters dead, which Potter seems to mourn over for about a chapter or two. All I'm saying is, that the 7th book is shaping up to be another installment of the same stuff...with the apparent death of someone (i haven't got to that part yet)
Sanity is just a limitation

If I was normal, then why would you even acknowledge me?

Go Eagle Go!

Le Cruise
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SoulsFlame on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:04 pm

I kinda liked the ending, motley because that means i don't have to live through here writing another crappy HP book. She really sucks as a author, and i agrre i hate people who write for money. Plus i all the people who died, it was dumb, how come most of the more powerful wizards died, but the weak, in school wizards without experience motley lived, it doesn't make sense. The book was pretty crappy, but the ending was better then what i expected from her.
Let your soul Burn!!!

Life is to short to give up, never stop fighting.

The blade is a tool and a way of life.

SoulsFlame
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Templar147 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:34 am

I thought the ending was great.

the epilogue was there to note that Voldemort was decisively gone (and to make it pretty pointless for any other authors to try and pick up Harry's story post book 7 - it was stated that the series would be 7 books, and it is)

She needed to capstone it - what would have others rather happened? Harry comes full circle. Heck, she even has stated that she is done writing on Harry. She isn't planning on releasing any more Potter books.

I liked that she put throwbacks to all the other books in this last one, and it felt like the end of an era when it was all over and done - that was the only thing I didn't like. As for a book, it was very discordant at first, but then converged as it moved toward the end when I realized what was entirely going on and that they were coming to the final battle.

Templar147
Member for 11 years

I find myself in a rather peculiar position, I have read most of the previous books other than about the last two chapters of number six. The reason I didn't finish it was that it stopped being of any interest. I have bought the last book as much to have a first edition as anything and I may in the fullness of time (What the hell is the fullness of time, how does one know when time is full anyway?) read the book, possibly.

For a long time people have been casting the stones to try and work out what is going to happen in the last one, as yet nothing anyone has said has inspired me to start reading. Not even the cryptic reports from those with more time or fewer daughters have enticed me to start the last book, nor even finish the previous one.

I will watch this forum with interest.

Grim

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:24 pm

It's expected that there will always be naysayers, people who hate because they can hate and it's trendy to do so. In my experience, Rowling is the best writer I have ever read. She stomps Tolkein, who is a fan of loading the story down with so much description that no one cares anymore, she even tops King, who has had a large inspirational effect on my own writing. The ending was, in my opinion, flawless. Voldemort's end was not brought about by superior strength, which Harry has never had in either magic or brute force. He was not beaten by sheer luck. He was beaten by his own ignorance, which has been a paramount principal through the entire series.

As for the Prologue, I believe it was put there more for closure than anything; there are huge bases of fans that have been obsessed for some time over the various relationships in the books. Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, etc. It answers those questions rather decisively, and as Templar mentioned, keeps writers from doing anything but really writing about Harry as an old man. Some of you might think this a rather assholish thing to do, but as both a RolePlayer and an aspiring writer, I sympathize with the urge to keep that which she spent so long creating as her own, unchanged by others.

Yes, it does leave open the possibility of sequels, especially coupled with the fact that Harry simply left the Resurrection Stone in the midst of the Death Eaters. Rowling, however, has explicitly stated she won't be writing anymore. Even if she did write about Harry's or Ron's kids, I wouldn't begrudge her a bit. I sympathize, as well, with the desire to keep the story going. It's a saddening thing, to permanently close off something you've put so much time and heart into. I wouldn't expect her to be doing it for the money. Check sales figures on the books, the movies, the merchandise, all of it. She gets a good cut of that, I sincerely doubt she wants more badly enough to spend more years on writing when she could easily retire.

So, off the subject of ruthlessly bashing Rowling. Who wants to place bets on how long before a new author picks up the story with a new school?

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hilde on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:14 pm

Yes, yes, well, that's all good and gold but-

WHAT HAPPENED TO GEORGE?!

Hilde
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SoulsFlame on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

I doubt anyone else will take it up until she makes almost no money from it or is dead, and I can say without a doubt she doesn't come close to topping Tolkein. she was a good writer at first, but took a happy good series and darkened it considerably. The ending was nice but it just puts everyone at a hard position. the ones who wanted to see the annoying characters die don't get to, the ones who want more books will keep whining from now on, and Rowling is so happy with her money she forgot what it really meant to be a writer. We get hooked on books for more then a good story, as we read its like watching the writer grow with each new chapter then book, then series. She gave into her love of money, over the love of writing, and that was her downfall.

SoulsFlame
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Sara -- Suicide. He couldn't stand life without his dear twin >_>.

Soul -- I'm going to leave most of your post alone, and ask one simple question? Where is the proof that she's only going for money? All evidence really points the opposite. If she wanted just to get rich quick, she could have saved herself some time and quit around the fourth or fifth book. Doesn't matter if the fans would be pissed, she only cares about money. Additionally, she would have taken the series in a "family friendly" direction as opposed to darkening it if she wanted to really cash in. Even moreso, she is writing yet another book after this one, an Encyclopedia on the characters, even after she has enough cash to retired peacefully.

So I ask, where is the proof in your claim? It really seems like you're hating her just to hate her.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SoulsFlame on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:25 am

I do admit, i hate her a little, just for the sake of hating, and maybe I'm wrong, its probably me being paranoid. But, I have read many different authors from the past to the present, and i don't know, she just seems different, the way she wrote these books. It almost seemed like she did end early. I mean, i remember back on book 3 or 4 how everyone was so exited (me included) about where she would take this. Me and my friends wondered how far she would go. would she write books until Harry graduated, or something like that. Still i might be wrong, Though I can say she gets paid to much in my opinion, but i think its because of the crappy movies (and they really do suck). Otherwise Zhelir, I do think you are right on that George thing.

SoulsFlame
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.