Have a Question? Ask Kiku!

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Re: Have a Question? Ask Kiku!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby airyshiM on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:25 am

Hello, Kiku~ i had just made my very first RP yesterday and when i was creating i kept looking back at the preview to see if i was doing everything correctly, after i submitted it, i went back to check and see it and it said "404 error link not found"? i don't know what i did D: help! Thanks!!
this city fog~

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

airyshiM
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby airyshiM on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:46 am

Hey kiku! thanks for making this help forum...thingy idk what to call it xD i had just recently made my very first RP yesterday and im having some trouble with it, i kept checking back and forth at the preveiw while creating the rp to see if evreything was looking alright, and it looked fine! after i finished and submitted it, i went to look at it again and it said "404:error not found" i don't know what i did! maybe it was a broken link?? but i have NO idea how to fix it :(( help? thanks!! ~Airy

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

airyshiM
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Airy,

I'm really sorry that happened to you. The mysterious 404 Error pops up every once in a while; from what I can tell, it is usually a broken or weird link of some sort. If you would send me a PM with your link, I'll see what I can do with it, but I also recommend, for future reference, backing everything you do up on Microsoft Word or a similar program, even if it's just to let the text sit there until you know your submission has gone through. That way, you don't lose all your hard work.

Anyway, as I said, if you'd like to send me any links or other information you have via PM, I'd happily take a look for you. As I'm not a tech expert by any means, I can also refer you to the people who know a great deal more about what they're doing if I can't fix it on my own.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 10 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VivaVictoria on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Hello I have a question of course, sorry to sound too annoyingly obvious. Anyways, so I am fairly new and created two roleplays. I have decided to end those two and I am wondering if I can take those two off the 'My Roleplays'?

VivaVictoria
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Hey there, VivaVictoria!

You should be able to take them off that list by accessing the "My Roleplays" tab and scrolling down to the RPs in question, then selecting the option to "abandon" them. Further, if you want them completely shut down and inaccessible to others, you can go to the RP Tab, select "Flag" next to the title, and then select "close" from the drop-down menu that you get when you click that. This will put it into a queue for the mods to shut down, and will remove the RP from the list on your public profile.

Hope that helps!

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 10 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VivaVictoria on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:08 pm

I had some questions but never mind and thank you.

VivaVictoria
Member for 7 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:05 pm

I went through and closed it myself. For future reference, though, we are a small staff for a website of this size, and not everything can be taken care of in a short period of time. Generally speaking, even if we haven't managed to get around to something like a RP closure, that doesn't mean we won't. There are just a lot of ways that mods have to split their time is all. We appreciate your patience as we try to keep everything in working order. :)

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 pm

hello

I once got into a limerick war with a friend of mine in the past and now we barely talk anymore, how do I patch things up and maybe get a good fistfight (irl) to seal the deal with her just like in those movies/sitcoms?

Arke
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:56 pm

Well,

Trolling her question thread is an interesting approach, so points for novelty. May I suggest further limericks via PM?

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arke on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 am

how rude, I find it highly insulting that you think I am "trolling" you

I'll take your advice anyways because I'm that nice of a person.

Arke
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CalliopeB on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Hey, I'm new here and looking to start roleplaying on the site. I'd like to start RPing in "The Multiverse", but the amount of material there is rather overwhelming and I'm not sure how to start. My character concept is of a young woman much like myself who has somehow found herself taken out of "the real world" and thrown into The Multiverse. I'm not sure how to play that out, though. Any suggestions? Could she, I dunno, fall from the sky? wake up without knowing how she got there?

I'm also not sure what location to start with. There are so many!

CalliopeB
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi there, Calliope!

So, I should preface this by saying that I am by no means a regular in the multiverse, so everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. You'll also find plenty of friendly people in the multiverse OOC chat to help you out, I'm sure.

That said, I'll offer what help I can!

As far as I'm aware, one of the most active places in the multiverse is Gambit's Bar. It's also a place where there are a lot of people hanging out who may be willing to start storylines with you, which can be easier than trying to integrate into one that already exists, especially if you're new to the site. Characters have had all kinds of entrances (and exits) to and from the multiverse, so feel free to get creative with that. If you want your character to fall from the sky and stumble into the first building she sees, by all means, do that. She could just fall asleep one night and wake up there, as well, or maybe she found (or created!) some kind of interdimensional portal. Maybe she fell down a rabbit hole, a la Alice in Wonderland. The laws of physics are kind of bastardized in the multiverse anyway, so have some fun with it, though if you can avoid turning a relatively powerless human being into a god, that's of course a good thing to do.

I hope that was at least somewhat helpful, but if not, there are as I mentioned a ton of wonderful users and staff members in the OOC chat, and I'm sure some of them would be willing to help you out, too.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CalliopeB on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Thank you for the ideas! It's good to know that there are many ways of starting out in The Multiverse, and that the OOC chat may be helpful.

CalliopeB
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KuraraOkumura on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 am

I have question! I've just created my first roleplay, in which some characters are already pre-defined. I got the idea that I could create the characters that are named in the description and already exist there myself, submit it to my roleplay, then abandon them so that they can be viewed on the roleplay's page as available characters for the roleplay, and let someone else play them. Except it apparently doesn't work that way, because the character I abandoned can't be viewed on the roleplay's page. >_> Can I have some help here? xD

Thank you! :P

KuraraOkumura
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi KuraraOkamura,

I should put a bit of a PSA/conscience-preserving note on this reply: I have found that RPs with pre-made characters are successful even less often than others, so if it is possible to not construct those characters so thoroughly in advance, I recommend giving your potential players as much freedom as possible.

Right, well, now that that's out of the way, I think I might know what’s going on. Generally speaking, you have to approve those sheets first as a GM. If you’ve done that, remember to also check the little box on the abandonment screen that says “Allow character X to be adopted” or something to that effect. They should show up then. If that doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll put you in contact with someone who knows more about site mechanics than I do. Or you could simply save your formatting elsewhere and PM it to interested parties/possible players.

I wish you luck on your RP regardless! GMing can be a daunting venture sometimes, but it’s very rewarding if you can get the right group of people.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aethus on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:44 pm

I have no idea how in the world this all works
I want to join a fantasy or a sci-fi RP but I don't know how and where I post, what to do, or even an RP to look at .
Can you help me?

Aethus
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi Aethus,

Your best bet for joining an RP is probably to look here. Most of those postings will have further links to RPs, where you can use the tabs at the top to navigate to pages where you can submit a character, the OOC for general chatting, and also the IC (called "Activity" or "Posting"), where, once your character is approved, you can post. For further how-to-type assistance, I recommend this guide.

I hope that was helpful in getting you started. If not, feel free to ask further questions, and I'll help as much as I can.

Cheers, and welcome!

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby King of Rags on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Hello-- I'm pretty new to roleplaying, and I was just wondering what you think the benefits are of smaller roleplays vs. larger ones? I'm kind of apprehensive about stepping into something like the Multiverse because of the sheer scope, but does that actually make it easier? And if a roleplay only has a few other people, does that mean it'll be slower or that everyone will work closer together?
I still need to fix everything.

King of Rags
Member for 6 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi there, King of Rags!

I should preface this with the statement that I am in no way a multiverse roleplayer. I tend to stay away from chat in general; it’s just a personal preference of mine. I also prefer smaller-scale stuff. Those are my biases, but I do like to think there is some reasoning behind them. Nevertheless, I will do my best to give a balanced assessment here.

The benefits of being in a story with many people, such as the multiverse or even a larger-scale forum RP are, I think, closely tied to variety. More types of characters, more types of writers and writing styles. This is not to be underestimated. If you just want a casual back-and-forth in paragraphs? There’s someone in the multiverse who’s up for it, I’m sure. Likewise, if you’re interested in developing a large, expansive story in a setting with a crazy-massive mythos, there are people who do that. Large-scale forum stuff is often the same, and if one player drops out? Not the end of the world. The drawbacks, I think, are that it can be harder to keep track of everything. I, at least, have also felt some level of alienation in particularly expansive settings or casts. They make me, as a writer, feel like I have very little influence or significance in the “grand scheme” of things. I’m sure there are ways to overcome this, but I have not gone through the process of discovering them.

When it comes to the smaller-scale stuff, the benefits are more tied to the intimacy of the writers with the plot and characters. I’ve been part of this group of writers for… must be almost two years now? Comparatively long time. Anyway, the stuff the five of us have written together has been great for me in that I always feel like an active part of the plot and shaping of the story, and we’ve gotten very good (I think) at playing off of one another in character development and interaction. Also, we’re friends, and it’s awesome. Downside: it’s hard to find a group like that. It took me three-ish years to find the one I’ve got, and in the meantime, you will be frustrated by good things ending too soon when some crucial player flakes out on you, or real life happens, or what-have-you. It’s just a fact. Then again, this can also happen with mass abandonment in larger stories. But usually in the bigger casts, the loss of one person isn’t going to kill anything, unless that one person happens to be your GM. It takes a bit more flaking before things get irreparable, so to speak.

I have found those to be the most noteworthy pros and cons. I’d be happy to answer further questions about my forum experiences if it would help you, but if you’d like to explore the multiverse option a little more, I’m not really the person to ask. I can, however, put you in touch with awesome people that would be able to help out there, so just let me know if that’s something you think would benefit you.

Cheers.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby slimmyjimjim on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:31 am

Hello, I have a simple question, I can't reply to messages sent to me and I don't know why. The help board says that I need to contact a board administrative for help but I don't know who that would be or where I could find one.

Can you help?
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢
◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥
◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢

slimmyjimjim
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!