Have a Question? Ask Kiku!

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Re: Have a Question? Ask Kiku!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi slimmyjimjim,

That one's pretty simple, actually. Before you can reply to PMs, you need to have ten posts (like the one you just put up here) in the forums. I recommend the Forum Games section for things that will allow you to make short posts and reach your ten pretty quickly.

Welcome to the site!
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lutecie on Fri May 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Well hello I have questions. How this whole roleplay stuff works? I see people who post quires of text. So I am curious how that can work itself out. It looks daunting. The way I imagined it is was one on one, FFRP(According to glossary.), talks and reactions and actions. A paragraph long or so.

Also I would like to request a critique. It is like 600 words. Character and introduction. I want to know if it is good enough. Like everybody does. Unless you can already say so. Thanks.

Good bye for now.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lutecie
Member for 5 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sat May 17, 2014 12:38 am

Hi Lutecie,

Well, it really depends on preference. Some people do basically what you’ve described, wherein there are paragraph-length back-and-forths. That’s certainly one way to go about things, and is fairly common in the chat section of the multiverse. If you’d like more information on that, I’d be happy to put you in touch with someone who knows more about it.

Other people, such as myself, prefer longer posts, for a variety of reasons. These people tend to post less often, and generally, though not in every case, will be found roleplaying on the tab system, or in the forums proper. If that doesn’t appeal to you, it’s by no means a requirement. My advice is to find people who prefer what you prefer and see what you’re all interested in doing in terms of stories. If you’re curious about the different approaches to RP, or how it “works” (and sometimes, how it does not), I recommend reading a few and seeing what those writers do. It’s a distinctive form of writing, and there are many possible approaches to it. The two I listed are certainly not exhaustive.

As for the critique request, if you would like to send me the material, I would be willing to do that for you myself. Please use a private message (PM), as this thread is reserved for questions whose answers might benefit others reading. I can’t promise my reply will be especially prompt, but I will do my best to get back to you in a timely manner.

Welcome to the site, and good luck!

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lutecie on Mon May 19, 2014 4:44 am

Wow, that is cool. My aproach is better for me( I bet nobody expected that). Those long posts are not even that interesting to me. For the same reason why I preffer a book over a PC screen when it comes to text. It is not comfortable. But ofcourse it depends on the other person as well. Now I see some short posts RP as well, so all good. Anyway, I will read anything you throw at me.

I have run into some troubles. Story plot is (I hope so) obvious, but how about characters? It seemed easy. History and personality and everything. But then I realized something. Do I want to reveal this as well? Imagine there is a being that has supernatural powers, but hides them. And the story revolts around it. Should I reveal his or her parrents were murdered and this trauma will couse him or her to became the next super vilain once the being and powers are exposed? Do I tell only the corporeal side of things? But then I am not a big fan of the mandatory across-an-eye scars and custom made hilts. What do you think about characters?

So I quess the ultimate question is how do I catch your attention without revealing all those interesting things?

Lutecie
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Mon May 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Well, that sort of thing is something to discuss with a GM, if you’re joining a specific RP. In terms of characters in a vacuum, however, I’d say the most important thing to do to catch interest is to make them multidimensional. Even archetypes that are done often can be excellent if done right. There’s no one formula for that, but I would say that something very important is being consistent. Even if you don’t lay out every single detail of the character in his/her/zer/its sheet, have a very good idea for yourself only of what’s going on with them, and then play them consistently. Nothing makes a character less interesting to me personally than when I sense the writer is changing them to get the ideal outcome in every situation. If your character has a problem with anger and recklessness, for example, she should not be able to check that in the one and only one instance she really needs to (unless there are circumstances that would actually bring this about). Don’t be afraid to let your characters fail sometimes—struggle makes them interesting.

But your question was a little more technical and about the balance of information, I think. In this case, I would say it’s really up to you. Though I often do traditional sheets with the personality and history sections, I’ve been toying lately with a sheet that only gives what another character would reasonably know upon observing mine for a little while, and letting the rest come out through writing. I’m convinced, however, that doing this properly is harder than people think it is. That said, I do often leave some details vague and general, especially when it comes to personality and history. There are some incidents that are likely to shape a person, and those can be alluded to without being explored in depth in a sheet, for example.

Whether or not the character is “interesting,” however, will often come down to two things: how they are played and who is making the judgement. In that sense, a character sheet isn’t really a big deal at all.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lutecie on Thu May 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Yes, only what is observable. I was thinking about it aswell. And seems like the way to do it.

About that. How can I send a private mesage? And well I quess the last question is about Game Mastering. I cannot find much about it. I would like to know what works and what does not. What should be avoided and so. Thank you.

Lutecie
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Thu May 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Sending a PM can only be done after you have posted 10 times in the forums. After that requirement is met, go to "Profile" on the black bar menu at the top of your screen, and a drop down list will include "Private Message." After that, it largely works like email.

As for what works and what doesn't regarding GMing, that is a very large swath of information. I would say that my top three rules of GMing are the following:

1) Find yourself the right people. What that means depends on you, because you'll likely want people with similar genre preferences and writing styles to yourself, who would still have something to add to a story. This is incredibly difficult to find sometimes, but crucially important.

2) Put in the work. GMing is about more than playing plot-central characters. In fact, it doesn't have to involve that at all. You have to construct a world in many cases, and that requires a lot of thinking to pull off well. Even when you don't have to make it from scratch, as in the case of fandom-based RPs, there's still a lot to be done. Beyond that, the best RPs are those that function with enough flexibility for player input, which means you need to be on top of a lot of possibilities. Also, don't jump ship on your own RP. Players should not be expected to be any more dedicated than you are, and they will take their cues from you in many cases.

3) Have the right story. Again, what this means partially depends on you. But remember that some premises are fine for the first few posts, but fizzle out after one major reveal or twist. Try to build stories with staying power. It's a craft, and it doesn't always work out the first time, but persistence will get you places.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ibyys on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:49 am

I've got a question about interest checks and looking for players. It's just a technical placement thing. I've checked that area of the forums and the interest check seems to be for roleplays that haven't been made yet; and roleplayers wanted seems to be for ones that have, and this requires a link.
I've got a couple other players in my little series of games already, but the roleplays are not from this site. We're relocating from role-player.net because honestly the site is stale and broken and it's impossible to find writers that are both good and willing to see an RP through to the finish, let alone four or five in the same universe.
The first game has already been completed, and we're looking to start the sequels here. However, we need a couple more players. I figured I'd go to the interest check, but it doesn't quite fit the qualifiers: These roleplays have been started, but I'm looking to restart a few of them. I'm reluctant to stick it in the Roleplayers Wanted threads because the links aren't to this site (And again, some are being restarted).
Which thread would I put them in? For the resets I imagine it would be interest check, but would the completed first game in the series make it all qualify as an in-progress thing?
Thanks in advance!

Ibyys
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 am

Hi Ibyys!

That's a good question. I suggest Interest Checks for anything that is not in progress on this site. You can link back to the old threads in the post if you need to, and say that what you're looking for is people interested in continuing/restarting those stories, but what I really recommend is that for each of them, you do up a succinct little summary thing and explain what it's all about without linking back.

If you get the interest you're looking for, then you can definitely link those people to the old content and so on, but for starters, it's probably best to summarize anyway. You want to give people a taste of what they're in for and get them curious before you throw the whole four-course meal at them, right? (Okay, that was a pretty terrible metaphor, but I hope it's clear enough what I'm getting at.)

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crashing_St0rm on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:44 am

Hey Kiku, I have a couple of questions and don't really know if I would be able to really find them on a specific page of the sight or not. First off, I'm a little confused wear to jump in at on this website. This is my first role-play forum, and I'm more used to the one-on-one style of role-play and only have a group end in disaster(Basically all the timing of replying was all off and just was a huge mess). Secondly, can anyone start up a role-play? I'm trying to meet new people since I've basically just role-played withe same one person for 3-4 years, and I'm looking for new people/friends. Anywhere you can point me Kiku? Thanks for the time and effort.
"People die when they are killed!"

Crashing_St0rm
Member for 5 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi there Crashing_St0rm!

Well, to take these questions in a slightly different order from the one in which they were asked: yes, anyone can start a roleplay. If you would like to do that, simply go to that black bar at the top of your screen, hover over "Roleplay," and then click on "Create New." From there, the screen will give you pretty good directions on what to put where.

However, I don't recommend doing that first thing. It can be especially helpful to find other people who might be interested in your idea first, and that can be done my making a post in the Interest Checks part of the forum. This doubles as a pretty good way to meet other people who are interested in the same things you are, so I do highly recommend it. You can also brave the OOC chat, which can be accessed from the black bar under "Chat," after which you'll want to hit "Multiverse." Now, that's not quite so efficient for finding people to RP with, because a lot of folks just hang out in there and talk about whatever, but it can't hurt to introduce yourself. :)

Please also make sure to take a gander at our Rules, and if you encounter any difficulties or need a bit more specific guidance, feel free to let me know, either here or via PM, which should be accessible after you make about 10 posts in the forums somewhere.

Welcome to RPG, and good luck. I hope you find those new people you're looking for.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kidcopious on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:16 am

Hello, im a newb. :) Could you clarify what forum section you mean by "Forum Games?" sounds fun, and i need to make ten posts as well.

edit: nevermind, I found it

kidcopious
Member for 5 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:33 pm

Glad you found it, kidcopious. And welcome to RPG!

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby theplait13 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi. I've only been RPing since August 2013, and am particularly bad at it. I've been told it's because my characters are too flat and need development. Is there any way I can improve this via RPIng, or are there other ways of fixing my problem?

theplait13
Member for 5 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Character development is something that I like to think even the most expert among us are still always working on and trying to improve. At least I certainly still am, though I make no claims to expertise.

That said, a good place to start is to look at characters in works of fiction that you really like. Not that you should emulate these characters exactly, of course, but looking at the ways other people construct deep, likeable characters can help you get some insight into how to build your own. Generally speaking, the best characters are those that do not hew exactly to established archetypes. A good way for beginners to start making good characters is to take such an archetype (say, the knight in shining armor), and give it one or more twists—that is, to actually move the character away from the archetype in many ways. I have a friend, for example, who has a character who looks very much like one of those at first glance, but is actually, while being things like polite and generally good natured, actually quite jaded and even a little bitter, without swinging all the way over into the “sarcastic cynical guy” archetype.

Another good way to give characters depth is to give them flaws. Try to stay away from “has a temper” or “doesn’t like to talk” because those so called flaws are usually built into the archetypes already. They’re expected. Give your otherwise-clever rogue the inability to tell a good lie, or detect one, or make him a bigot of some kind. Make sure the flaw(s) make(s) sense in context, of course, but don’t be afraid of them.

Remember, above all else, that you’re supposed to be portraying a person. People are incredibly complex; no one can be reduced to a mere collection of tropes and thereby fully explained. Wanting to play a knight in shining armor or a sarcastic badass is fine, but that’s not all the character is going to be. Let them be people, too; people have moments of doubt or weakness or discomfort, who don’t always have the answers. And they can change.

If you can do that, you’re off to a great start.

I hope that helped, but follow-up questions are totally welcome if there are things you’re still unclear about.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BlueCosmos on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey Kiku,
So this is my first time signing up for a forum so I don't have any skill when it comes to group roleplays and this is a really new experience for me. So a quick backstory is I've been roleplaying with only one person for 4+ years now and our friendship isn't where it was anymore so our rps are becoming lackluster. So here I am now on the site looking for a roleplay to join, but I'm nervous since I don't have experience with writing roleplays outside of the asterisk style. I mean I probably could write in paragraph form, but I don't know what the people i would roleplay with would be expecting as replies as far as depth an how I portray my character goes. So can you offer me any help with my predicament?
-BlueCosmos

BlueCosmos
Member for 4 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:52 pm

Hiya BlueCosmos, and welcome!

I would say that paragraph style is generally an expectation, but as for length, you’ll find a lot of variance. Some people like to write posts of short essay length, others are fine with a paragraph or two per reply, and there’s a lot of representation everywhere in between. I think a common minimum is around 300 words per post, though there are people who are fine with less also.

Most folks who have requirements like these make them known either in the “Rules” section of their RP’s Tab (usually at the bottom), or else in their Interest Check or RPers Wanted ad. I really do recommend checking out both of those boards, as they’ll give you an idea of who’s searching for what, and most people who post there are happy to take questions of that kind. Of course, if you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can always post an Interest Check of your own, explaining what kind of RP you’re after, and see if you can get any bites.

So I’d recommend giving that a try, first. Another method is just to keep an eye on the “Newest Roleplays” header below the site navigation tools on most pages, and see if anything pops up that you’re interested in. Increasing your words-per-post and changing format can seem intimidating at first, but I promise that it gets easier with practice.

If you try all that and still can’t quite find what you’re after, please let me know what problems you encounter and I’ll help in whatever way I can. I’m also here if any other questions pop up, and once you have 10 posts in the forums somewhere, you’ll also be able to PM me if you’d prefer to do that.

I wish you the best of luck, but as I said, I’m not just going to tell you a bunch of stuff and then let you sink or swim on your own, so if you need to, feel free to come back here and ask me some follow-ups!

Cheers.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sibylline Oracle on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:57 pm

When deciding on a category for the setting of your roleplay, what criteria should be invoked? For example, if I have an idea that fits the Low Fantasy genre and lacks magic, yet takes place on another world with a different humanoid species, should this be shelved under Fantasy or Realistic? What if the physics themselves are realistic, and the world itself based loosely on historical coincidence? Would anyone check the Fantasy section of the forum, knowingly searching for a roleplay with a standard medieval setting not on Earth, if they sought a setting where magic starts off non-existent and slowly gains prominence over a long expanse of IC time?

Please excuse my rambling! These are questions I've had for a while. I didn't know where to ask them until I stumbled upon this thread. ^^

Sibylline Oracle
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Fantasy is less a question of setting and more one of story elements. You said magic wasn't a thing (yet) but you still have all the basic building blocks for a fantastic world. Mighty heroes, legendary weapons, and epic journeys to thwart a growing evil are staples of the genre, even if humans are replaced by something else. Realistic tends to be more slice-of-life stuff. Bands trying to get their first gig, the local football team trying to make the playoffs, and so on.

I may not be Kiku, but hopefully this answers your question.

LawOfTheLand
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 11 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:22 pm

For what it's worth, I think qb did a pretty good job there, and I agree with him.

The fantasy label is, I take it, not usually about things like how physics works. I've seen fantasy RPs where the physics is almost exactly the same as it might be in a realistic RP, and then of course, there are RPs with "anime physics," which is very different.

I'm not sure if anyone would "knowingly search" for an RP by the description you provided, but that might just be because they don't know they're interested in such a thing. If I was asked to help someone find something like that, the fantasy tag is the one I'd check first, for sure.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 9 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!