Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Have a question? Public or private. Ylanne's mentoring.

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Have a question? Public or private. Ylanne's mentoring.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:39 pm

My name is Ylanne. In addition to being a Global Moderator here, I am also part of the Mentors team, and I am happy to help anyone with any questions related to:

- Roleplay
- Writing
- This website
- Publishing
- Other related topics
- Random topics (you can ask; I probably know the answer)

If you wish to ask a question related to anything, or request a critique of your writing, roleplay, roleplaying, or character(s), you may either post publicly here, or contact me privately via PMs. I make my best effort to respond to all PMs within 24 hours, making this a discreet, readily available option if you are uncomfortable with publicly advertising your question in this thread.

My experience in roleplaying is as follows:
LARP, or Live Action Role Play - Since around 1995.
Text Based Roleplay - Since around 2006.
Tabletop Roleplay - Since January 2010.

My experience in writing and teaching is as follows: I teach creative writing and English as a Second Language. I have been tutoring students (in person) in small groups and privately since 2004. I write crime novels, opinion essays, personal essays, plays, poetry, and songs. I have had some of my nonfiction work and poetry published in various special interest journals and news media sources. I also edit manuscripts and papers on a contractual basis.
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Re: Have a question? Public or private. Ylanne's mentoring.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tigeress on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:35 am

Hey Yalanne! I find myself in a bit of a fix. Ordinarily, when I start roleplays, they are often fairly successful (I think my first one was a most popular thread for several weeks), but the last two I have submitted, while receiving considerable interest mostly due to the unique quality and possibilities of the ideas, failed miserably, with not a single application. I put the links below to find out what I may, or may not, be doing wrong. If I had my own words on the matter, I would say it is because I have been out of practice, and also extremely anxious to get started, and thus my writing quality was "sub par". Im also a older member of the site, and have not really familiarized myself with the nifty way of adding roleplays with all of its tabs.

I guess my question on it is what I am doing wrong? What strikes you as "wrong" so much on the structure of it? Is it too technical? Sometimes, it takes a second opinion and your often very skilled at telling people what they need to know, should they ask :)

Here is the Links: age-innovation-ooc-t46207.html

mist-estani-interest-check-multiuniverse-roleplay-t44992.html

My second question is somewhat more of advice that I feel you may be able to help me with. I find roleplays in the "Fantasy" section have kinda lost some of their innocence. I love the idea of creating a well thought out world, filled with even some semi-dark concepts, that is extremely light "hearted" and more so a fun adventure. To say it bluntly, I kinda wish for a experience similar to those of the "Secret of Mana", "Star Ocean", or perhaps almost any disney series, in which it is brightly colored, the characters portrayed with a air of serious whimsy, in a plot that can be considered epic and even perhaps dark.

I guess my reasoning for this is that as I have grown older (recently had a birthday in-fact) I find that I miss some of the lovable adventures and characters that came with my youth, and upon revisiting them, I have found them to still be wonderful in their own way, if unrefined.

Sorry bout that, clearly rambled but it felt relevant >.<, anyway my question is, how would I do this? It seems to me that most roleplays lean towards more serious areas, especially fantasy which quickly becomes "hack and slash". (which is fine, I love a good battle rp every now and then) . How do you make "new" ideas popular? Anymore I find I lack the ability, or perhaps most of the roleplaying world lacks the interest.

Sorry again for the rambling, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I really need it at this point as seeing relatively good ideas whither away is becoming disheartening.

Thank you ever so much,

-Tig, the "very very lost" cat!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tigeress
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby [disenchanted] on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Hullo Yalanne !

So, I'm pretty new to this site and I haven't quite figured it out yet.

At the moment, my biggest problem is making characters. In all the roleplays I've looked at, character skeletons are included. My problem happens when I click 'submit character'. A premade skeleton comes up; my question is: which one do I use, the premade or the one included with the thread?

I'm sorry if I seem really stupid, I felt kind of stupid writing this :P

hope you can help,
[disenchanted]

[disenchanted]
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi to both of you! :)

I'm adding this thread to My Subscriptions right away. Since the disabling of View Your Posts, I can no longer keep track of responses to threads I make or post in without subscribing manually to them. For that, I apologize because of the delay in responding to your posts. I will take a look at both questions asked and respond later tonight or tomorrow. Feel free to PM spam me if it doesn't happen soon enough!

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne

(One 'a', not two. ^^ )

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:10 pm

[disenchanted] wrote:Hullo Yalanne !

So, I'm pretty new to this site and I haven't quite figured it out yet.

At the moment, my biggest problem is making characters. In all the roleplays I've looked at, character skeletons are included. My problem happens when I click 'submit character'. A premade skeleton comes up; my question is: which one do I use, the premade or the one included with the thread?

I'm sorry if I seem really stupid, I felt kind of stupid writing this :P

hope you can help,
[disenchanted]

If you are submitting to a roleplay using the Tab system, which it seems you are, then you will copy and paste the GM's skeleton from the thread into the Description field of the premade skeleton on the Tab system. That's a standard practice, but for those new to the site, counterintuitive. Hope it helps! :)

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tigeress on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 am

That is fine :) I hope that I can receive some personalized help soonish, as I think im on my 4th new interest check failure. >.< clearly im doing something wrong.

Tigeress
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shadow Bunny on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:54 am

Hi Ylanne,

So, I'm also new here and I can't figure out how to send a pm.
I keep getting a page that says that my messeging is locked. Do I have to unlock it somewere or am I doing something wrong? :(

I hope you can help me,
Shadow Bunny

Shadow Bunny
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:49 am

Hi Shadow Bunny,

PMs are disabled for new members until you have posted around in the forums a bit. Just keep posting in threads like this one, and before you know it you will be able to send PMs! :)

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shadow Bunny on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 am

Hi Ylanne,

Thanks for answering so fast, I'll go post some more in the forms. :)

thanks again,
Shadow Bunny

Shadow Bunny
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:00 pm

Tigeress wrote:Hey Yalanne! I find myself in a bit of a fix. Ordinarily, when I start roleplays, they are often fairly successful (I think my first one was a most popular thread for several weeks), but the last two I have submitted, while receiving considerable interest mostly due to the unique quality and possibilities of the ideas, failed miserably, with not a single application. I put the links below to find out what I may, or may not, be doing wrong. If I had my own words on the matter, I would say it is because I have been out of practice, and also extremely anxious to get started, and thus my writing quality was "sub par". Im also a older member of the site, and have not really familiarized myself with the nifty way of adding roleplays with all of its tabs.

I guess my question on it is what I am doing wrong? What strikes you as "wrong" so much on the structure of it? Is it too technical? Sometimes, it takes a second opinion and your often very skilled at telling people what they need to know, should they ask :)

Here is the Links: age-innovation-ooc-t46207.html

mist-estani-interest-check-multiuniverse-roleplay-t44992.html

My second question is somewhat more of advice that I feel you may be able to help me with. I find roleplays in the "Fantasy" section have kinda lost some of their innocence. I love the idea of creating a well thought out world, filled with even some semi-dark concepts, that is extremely light "hearted" and more so a fun adventure. To say it bluntly, I kinda wish for a experience similar to those of the "Secret of Mana", "Star Ocean", or perhaps almost any disney series, in which it is brightly colored, the characters portrayed with a air of serious whimsy, in a plot that can be considered epic and even perhaps dark.

I guess my reasoning for this is that as I have grown older (recently had a birthday in-fact) I find that I miss some of the lovable adventures and characters that came with my youth, and upon revisiting them, I have found them to still be wonderful in their own way, if unrefined.

Sorry bout that, clearly rambled but it felt relevant >.<, anyway my question is, how would I do this? It seems to me that most roleplays lean towards more serious areas, especially fantasy which quickly becomes "hack and slash". (which is fine, I love a good battle rp every now and then) . How do you make "new" ideas popular? Anymore I find I lack the ability, or perhaps most of the roleplaying world lacks the interest.

Sorry again for the rambling, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I really need it at this point as seeing relatively good ideas whither away is becoming disheartening.

Thank you ever so much,

-Tig, the "very very lost" cat!

To your first question, I respond that the format and information you provide is not too much or overwhelming, and that I have seen successful fantasy roleplays with both more and less information than what you provide in both of yours. My critiques though are as follows:

In the Mist of Estani interest check, less information is better as it is an interest check rather than a full OOC thread. Providing a brief overview of the setting, plot, requirements (rules), and questions you have for people possibly interested is better for an interest check. Interest checks can be long and full of technical information, but they may not be as successful.

In the Age of Innovation OOC thread, it is better to save the technical information, or world-specific information, for either the middle or end of your post. This of course is my own personal preference, but I find it to be more effective. What this does is it allows you to grab the attention of readers with a spiffy introduction at the very top, and then, once you have their attention, you can guide it towards the more technical information as well as the rules and character sheet.

In both, consider adding between five and twenty tags to the post (do this by navigating to the threads and clicking under their title where it says "Add tags", such as ones denoting the genre, themes, topics, and such things. I do this on most of my posts, such as this one (scroll up), and my roleplay ones (click the two links in my signature and look at the top). This will also attract the attention of other players who are scrolling through the threads in the OOC or Interest Checks forum, who will either see tags of interest, or search for them to begin with (and see your posts come up).

My other suggestion to grab more attention is to send out non-spammy PMs to people you KNOW who you think might be interested, asking them politely to take a look and to contact you with questions. You can also send out such PMs to people you don't know as well, provided you have a reason to be doing so (i.e. "I was reading some of your posts in XX roleplay, and I thought you might also be interested in XX roleplay"). Posting links in the Welcome forum when greeting new members is also a good way to attract attention, but be careful about how you do this. The welcome is always the most important part!

For your second question, and the one with a less clearly defined answer, and one bound to be subjective, especially as I am not known for my experience with fantasy (more my dearth of it), I would say that such roleplays can be found and created if you look hard enough. I did it back in December of 2009 with Hayya, which was a dark fantasy roleplay made for epic character development and storylines, but which did not border on the obscene or graphic. That roleplay did die, but it could have been quite successful, and may with a restart (which I may or may not do).

Any successful roleplay requires a good combination of roleplayers, the GM (you, or someone else), the characters and the plot. It is difficult but not impossibly to pull off, and I myself am still holding my breath on it too! My best advice is to seek out talented, dedicated writers and to invite them to work with you in developing characters and/or plot in such a setting.

I hope this is of some help. Let me know if I can clarify or add anything, or if you have any other questions.

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne

P.S. Apologies for the tardiness of this response.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:01 pm

Shadow Bunny wrote:Hi Ylanne,

Thanks for answering so fast, I'll go post some more in the forms. :)

thanks again,
Shadow Bunny

No problem at all. Feel free to ask my other questions anytime you have them.

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tigeress on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:09 pm

Thanks Ylanne, you've confirmed that while there are improvements I could make, it is not the reason the roleplays have failed or lacked interest. That was most important. I'll think about your suggestions and probably use the tab one in the future. Thank you again.

-Tig, the "Glad to be helped" cat!

Tigeress
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:37 am

Personally, I avoid using the tab for the IC portion of a roleplay because I too find it confusing, distracting, and I forget to check it (because it has no view your posts or view your subscriptions like the forums do). Roleplays both in the forums and in the tab can be successful... and both can fail.

I would not yet give up if I were you. Keep looking for the right mixture of players, and sooner or later, you will find them.

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dundee998 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 pm

Hey, Ylanne! Yet another newbie here begging for help. I think my biggest problem is that I'm intimidated by all of the different roleplays out there, and I'm afraid of slowing the story down. It's been a long time since I last RP'd, and I don't want to make a fool of myself. How can I tell which roleplays will not mind having a newbie join in? Or should I just choose an RP at random and hope for the best?

dundee998
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi dundee98,

My first advice is to invite you to either or both of my current roleplays (links should appear below, in my signature, or for sure, in the signature under my first post in this thread). I ask for players to write one post every 2-4 weeks, and I welcome people of all roleplaying experience and abilities, provided that know how to use spellcheck and proper grammar (which I can see you do). Partly, this is of course narcissistic and desperation in trying to convince people to join both of them, but mostly, it is an opportunity for you to jump right into active roleplaying with a good mix of players, and to not have to worry about being judged unfairly.

My other advice to you is to look at some roleplays that have already started (with a few posts, at least 3, but no more than 20), and to read through those posts, or to skim them, to get a feel for how the participants write. If you feel comfortable joining them, then do so; otherwise, search for another roleplay. Choosing roleplays at random is almost always a bad idea unless you can only find inspiration spontaneously and without direction or forethought. Always choose with deliberation behind your choice.

But my best advice? Never be afraid of your own writing capabilities. You do not fear that you lack them... you fear the discovery that you have far more power than you ever imagined possible. ^^ (To paraphrase a famous quote).

If I can do anything else for you, please do let me know.

I wish you the best of luck,

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CyraEm on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:16 am

Hi, I'm a newbie with some marginal experience, but I find myself baffled by a lot of terminology. It's not too huge of a hindrance, but it is annoying having the rules of an rp state "no play-by's" and not having any idea if what you're doing is violating that rule or not.

So, some things I'm having trouble with: play-by, mu*, and XX. Google is not helping, especially on that last one.

CyraEm
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:28 am

Hello! I have never seen those terms posted in roleplay threads, but let me see what I can do for you:

Play by may refer to a specific manner of roleplaying, such as play by mail games, in which moves, or in this case, posts, are made through private messages or emails separate from public view - and typically in a slow-moving fashion.

Mu*: See this wikipedia article. It seems to be a specialized term referring to a very specific kind of roleplaying in a virtual world platform, which is not the kind of roleplay we use here at RPG.

XX. I have never actually seen this term before! It is not commonly used; otherwise I would know it. Your best bet in this case is to contact the person directly who used the term - either posting in their thread, or via private message, if you have posted often enough to enable the feature - and ask what they mean by it, or if it has any special significance.

Hope this helps!

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CyraEm on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for your help. Sorry for the curveball.:))

CyraEm
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:32 am

Don't worry about it. My job isn't just dishing out information - it's taking it in too! So I owe you a thank you for spurring me to learn about some things I've never heard of either. :) Be sure to let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:53 am

Hello! I'm new to Roleplaying Gateway and was wondering if you could possibly look at the RP I've created and point/help me with any possible problems you may see with it. I'm afraid its description was a bit too long, but I wasn't sure. Also, I was wondering if you would be able to critic some posts I wrote before and help me with my grammar.

So this is my RP thread.
roleplay/a-worlds-end/

And this is a sparring match I have with another person on another site.
http://roleplayerguild.com/f27/rai-vs-asperser-61299/

I was having trouble describing things in the spar so tips are always welcome >.<!
Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.
-Anais Nin

Asperser
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!