Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism »

Players Wanted: Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! »

No Haven

No Haven

a part of “No Haven”, a fictional universe by Messiah.

A continuation of the Haven (Live Together or Die Alone) storyline, focusing on the development of characters in a zombie apocalypse after the fall of their homes.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “No Haven”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

No Haven

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:21 am

Third time's a charm, eh? Or does this only count as the second? Anyway, welcome to No Haven, the continuation of the Haven (or Live Together or Die Alone for you new-er comers) storyline.

A couple things...

First of all, if you are planning on using your character from Haven, err... LToDA, then you can submit it exactly how it was for that roleplay and it will be accepted. If you're not planning on using the same character, well, that leads me into my second point.

Upon contacting Hoodie, he brought up some questions that we should address, I think.

Black Hoodie wrote:...I'm wondering what kind set up mechanics-wise you have in mind, besides the traditional style of posting. Who is going to be the GM? Who decides where and how the story progress overall? What kind of post rates can I expect? What sort of post lengths were you guys planning on hosting? Where can myself and the others voice our opinions and see everyone else's input? PMing, or is there something you guys have set up?

If we are going for the Haven universe, I wouldn't be able to play Dr. Rishi Sharma as a PC. He was designed as an NPC......I would have to create a new character. Who will judge his acceptability?

It's been suggested that we set up a sort of round-table style of GMing by both Hoodie and Faith. Faith also suggested this...

Faith Fanon wrote:However, I guess someone should have an ultimate veto in case we get bogged down, and I think that should be you - this is your idea; you seem most committed to it; you're taking the lead on it.

That also brings up something else. Is there a way to make more than just one person a GM? The tab seems to suggest it, but I can't find it anywhere.
Check out Eastbound, a zombie apocalypse story I'm writing on my own.

I may actually get back to this, now that I'm here again. Stay tuned!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Messiah
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: No Haven

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRavenChronicle on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:54 am

/addGameMaster <usernamehere> typed into the roleplays chat I think you have to exclude the <> though.

I saw the original Haven that Bosch made way back when I was still a site stalker and thought it was a really cool idea (but back then like I said I just stalked cause I'm actually quite shy.) I'd ask to join but I'm bogged down and am simply here to answer the question (because I'm really OCD about unanswered questions + Plus I knew the answer.)

Good Luck!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

RedRavenChronicle
Member for 8 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DuBois_Scarlett on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:22 am

Hi! This looks awesome! Is there any particular CS to adhere to?

DuBois_Scarlett
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black Hoodie on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:57 am

Since there hasn't been a recognized CS, I might make a suggestion:

The CS in the original: The Basic CS should include the follow sections.

Name-

Age-

Gender-

Physical description-

Biography- Include pre outbreak and post outbreak information.

Skills- Skills will develop as the RP rolls on so don’t feel pigeonholed.

The buzz words for the CS are realism and potential. Feel free to include any additional sections.

Kind of plain if you ask me. Here is the CS for the alternate universe, if you're feeling ambitious:

Name:
Place of birth:
Parents:
Siblings:
What was important to the people who raised her/him:
Economic/social status growing up:
Ethnic background:
Places lived:
Education:
Favorite subject in school:
Special training:
Jobs:
Travel:
Friends:
How do people view this character:
Lived with:
Fights with:
Spends time with:
Wishes to spend time with:
Who depends on him/her and why:
What people does he/she most admire:
Enemies:
Dating, marriage:
Children:
Religious Beliefs:
Overall outlook on life:
Does this character like him/herself:
What, if anything, would he/she like to change about his life:
What personal demons haunt him/her:
Is he/she lying to him/herself about something:
Optimistic/pessimistic:
Real/feigned:
Morality level:
Confidence level:
Typical day:
Physical appearance:
Body type:
Posture:
Head shape:
Eyes:
Nose:
Mouth:
Hair:
Skin:
Tattoos/piercings/scars:
Voice:
What people notice first:
Clothing:
How would he/she describe himself:
Health/disabilities/handicaps:
Characteristics:
Personality type: (choleric, sanguine, phlegmatic, melancholy)
Strongest/weakest character traits:
How can the flip side of his/her strong point be a weakness:
How much self-control and self-discipline does he/she have:
What makes him/her irrationally angry:
What makes him/her cry:
Fears:
Talents/Skills:
What people like best about him/her:
Interests and favorites:
Political leaning:
Collections:
Favorite Food, drink:
Music:
Books:
Movies:
Sports, recreation:
[b][u]Did he/she play in school:

Color:
Best way to spend a weekend:
A great gift for this person:
Pets:
Vehicles:
What large possessions did he/she own
and which did he/she like best:
(car, home, furnishings, boat, etc.)
Typical expressions:
When happy:
When angry:
When frustrated:
When sad:
Idiosyncrasies:
Laughs or jeers at:
Ways to cheer up this person:
Ways to annoy this person:
Hopes and dreams:
How does he/she see him/herself accomplishing these dreams:
What’s the worst thing he/she’s ever done to someone and why:
Greatest success:
Biggest trauma:
Most embarrassing thing that ever happened to him/her:
What does he/she care about most in the world:
Does he/she have a secret: (you don’t have to say what it is, just a yes or no)
If he/she could do one thing and succeed at it, what would it be:
He/She is the kind of person who:
How is the character ordinary or extraordinary:
Core Need:
Anecdote: (defining moment)
History: (Anything you weren’t able to include in the above. ;) )
I was formed in the shadows, in the void faster than light. Sheathed in darkness, the world expands, and I feel at home in a mystical place. When I close my eyes, and the void envelops me, I can fly, I can breathe in water and vacuum, I can change my shape and go anywhere I please, anytime I want. No information escapes me, for there was none to fall away in the first place; there is only peace.

Black Hoodie
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:29 pm

I don't think we should require a long CS like the one Selene had. I understand her motivations for making one like that, but I've always been one for developing a character through writing, letting it develop naturally, and letting your fellow roleplayers find out more about your character as it progresses. Not everything needs to be right out in the open. The things on the alternate CS are things you should definitely think about and you should have some idea as to the answers at least in your head, but I don't think we should have one that long as a requirement.

On that note, I hadn't added a CS template or anything because I wasn't sure what everyone else would feel like. Also on that note, if you're continuing your character from previously, then you might want to add some information regarding important events that happened to your character during their duration in LToDA. I suppose that only applies to my character and Faith's character, really, since Skulls' character didn't have much time in the roleplay before it was cut short.

For those of you that are coming in new (it doesn't surprise me that there are newcomers interested), there's a couple things you should be aware of...

First of all, the original roleplay and the roleplay of the alternate universe (that didn't last very long, unfortunately) were built on collaboration - specifically more than one writer writing on the same post (as on WritePad or something similar). It wasn't that way to begin with, but it became that way... pretty quickly, actually. I'm hoping that we can get that again and, to be honest, I think the others that were in before are expecting that as well We're all friendly people, for the most part, so if you think you can manage collaborative writing, then you'll be good.

Secondly, I think it's important that you are aware of the original roleplay, as it is what this roleplay is a... I guess a spin-off of. I'm not suggesting that you read the entire thing word-for-word - because there's a lot there - but you should take a look at it, look at some important events, and kind of get a feel for the way things were written.

Here's a link for you if you haven't checked it out already.

roleplay/live-together-or-die-alone

Messiah
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:05 pm

I've added a character sheet section on the front page of the tab, located just above the rules. Take a look at it and write up a character based on that. If you feel like there's something missing that should be there, let me know.

Messiah
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:27 pm

I appreciate not having to do a huge character sheet. That said I will be resubmitting Ally so I guess I don't really have to redo one....

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black Hoodie on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:55 pm

I have decided to play a Scottish Ginger. With a beard and long hair.

Black Hoodie
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:40 am

I've added a personality line to the CS. If you want to add it as well, that's okay. You can also write about their personality in the 'Pre-Outbreak' or 'Post-Outbreak' sections if you want. Also, too much detail won't be necessary, as those kinds of things will be detailed in the writing and developed over time, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to add at least some information.

EDIT: I've approved two characters, including my own, which you may use as an example of what you can include in your character's profile. Obviously, it doesn't have to be exactly like mine or quite as detailed, but it's there for you to look at, if you need help with your profile.

Messiah
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Okay, I've submitted an updated Laney.

Messiah, do you have any old WritePads from when we were writing Haven? They might give newcomers who are considering joining, like Scarlett, whose work I've enjoyed before, an idea of the level of collaboration we're talking about?

Faith Fanon
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Allison and Laney have been approved. Hooray!

Okay. Yeah. I'd have to do a bit of digging, I think, but I'm sure I could manage that.

EDIT: I've also added you three as GMs.

Messiah
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:13 pm

I found a few WritePads. In some of them, you'll see the kind of collaboration we're talking about.

http://write.roleplaygateway.com/p/Haven%20Love%20Boat
In 'Love Boat', for example, you'll see me occasionally writing Rann's character Hoppy, and Rann writing Laney. Then I'd just tweak what Rann wrote for Laney, and Rann would tweak what I wrote for Hoppy. Usually it was just dialogue, especially since Hoppy had such a distinctive voice.

http://write.roleplaygateway.com/p/Haven%20-%20King
This is a three-way between me, Messiah and Selene,

http://write.roleplaygateway.com/p/Have ... Impossible
Me and Selene

http://write.roleplaygateway.com/p/e9qXqv5Hqt
There's some good examples of collaboration in the start of this one, but by the end, I had to write it pretty much by myself. Don't be that person.

But don't worry if you want to take it slower at first. The trust necessary for that much collaboration doesn't come automatically. But if you're up for it, it can be sooo rewarding.

Faith Fanon
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:31 pm

I was literally about to go digging through my stuff to find some of what you mentioned, but you went and beat me to the punch. Thanks, Faith. Those are all good examples.

Messiah
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black Hoodie on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:59 am

Hopefully nobody encountered these during their escape from Haven:

;P

EDIT: good, now that I have your attention, there is the matter of who should start us off as GM for the first turn. Do we have any volunteers? I mean, I figure Messiah would be the ideal first candidate, but I don't mind taking a stab at it if nobody else wants to.

Black Hoodie
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:04 am

Black Hoodie wrote:Hopefully nobody encountered these during their escape from Haven:

Those could be worse than zombie humans. Though, I wonder if they would turn meat-eaters or if they would just like... mercilessly go after every single plant on the planet, which could be even more potentially disastrous.

Hmm...

Black Hoodie wrote:EDIT: good, now that I have your attention, there is the matter of who should start us off as GM for the first turn. Do we have any volunteers? I mean, I figure Messiah would be the ideal first candidate, but I don't mind taking a stab at it if nobody else wants to.

I'm willing to start, but there's an obvious question that we haven't addressed yet:

What did we have in mind for having all of these characters meet up? Obviously, Ben, Laney, Eric, and Shinji would all be together, but what about Allison and Shannon, and anybody else who may join (I contacted Northgaze, who was in LToDA and The Days That Follow with us, just to see)? Neither of them, it seems, were at Haven. Allison was at Eden Valley with the Caravanners and Shannon just seems to be out in the wilderness somewhere.

Messiah
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faith Fanon on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 am

I've been cooking a starting post; I could have it up by tonight I guess. It assumes one or two things about the flight from Haven, but leaves most things, most characters, open.

I thought Allison could either be visiting Haven and gets a frantic warning radio call from Eden, or she could come running from Eden, either to warn Haven or with the horde hot on her tail, which would probably cause some resentment amongst the Scavs, or we could pick her up in the wild - she ran somewhere other than Haven and shook off her pursuers.

Shannon showing up in the wild is nice - do we trust him or not?

Faith Fanon
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black Hoodie on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:44 am

I like the part where Allison is running from the horde! Makes things sound desperate.

Also like your take on Shannon! Who the heck is this guy? Ya know? Perhaps he encounters Eric first as he runs off or something.

We all also don't have to start off with each other. The first part could be everybody trying to find each other in the ensuing chaos.

Black Hoodie
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Messiah on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:04 am

Another idea, one that I've been tossing around in my brain a little bit...

After fleeing the horde, the remaining Havenites come across a place to stay for the evening. They do a sweep of the area, etcetera. My idea has the Havenites coming into contact with Allison there, either because she arrived before them, implying the horde hit Eden Valley first, or she arrived after them, implying that the horde hit Haven first.

I kinda like the idea of them coming across Shannon after Eric runs off.

As for starting off, I was also tossing around the idea that the first post starts off with the Havenites (Ben, Laney, Eric, Shinji) together, right after fleeing the scene. That would also leave plenty of opportunity for flashbacks as well.

I'm open for whatever, though, whatever the group decides.

Messiah
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:33 am

Sorry for the delay on adding my two cents. I am home with a stomach bug and have been sleeping.

I am good with whoever wants to start. I do like the idea of Allison fleeing.

No matter where you want the Havenites to start I am up for writing a post with Allison coming across them.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black Hoodie on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:06 pm

When I read stomach bug, I pictured a fist sized water beetle floating around in your stomach lol.

I have no objections to the proposed ideas. So far, it's the Haven people fleeing from the farm, and coming to some random house, meeting Allison there at some point. Young Eric is scared off or is lost at some point, and runs into Shannon, bringing him in contact with the group.

Black Hoodie
Member for 9 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!