Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas » Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? »

Players Wanted: OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner »

Hello, I'm new and I have a couple questions.

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

Hello, I'm new and I have a couple questions.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Viante on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Hello everyone. I am Viante, I've been RPing for about six years and primarily been a GM for those years. I'm 25, in college seeking a career as a clinical psychologist, I'm both a gamer and a writer, and I also enjoy game design. If I had to guess, my enjoyment of game design and writing is probably why I am so heavily drawn to GMing. While looking around for a new site to join I found this one and am interested in the organization options each roleplay has. I have a RP world I've created, I've rebooted the RP three times on different sites, and I'm looking to bring it here for a fourth run. It's collectively been running for about six years between the three reboots, which means I've been building this world for six years. It's become incredibly in-depth and complex while at its core remaining simple enough for anyone to jump in, play, and have fun while only digging as deep into the complexity and depth of the world as they want. I plan to go put a thread for it in one of the OOC topics to see how much interest there is later. But before that I have a few questions.

How active is this site? Skimming the OOC forums I see a lot of topics with the last post being over a year old, and I poked a few of the RPs on the main page and they also haven't had replies in quite a while. is the site still alive and active?

It's neat that the site has a tab for characters, on the previous sites I used I had to create my own website to track characters and relevant data. So that's useful and is less coding I need to do. Although after looking at a few I'm curious, what is this "Story" thing at the bottom of each one? It looks like it is posts from that character, but is that all of their posts from the beginning to the end of the RP? And how does the profile know which posts are for that character (for those of us who use multiple characters)? I'm curious about how that works and what exactly the story section is/does.

When I get to posting a thread to check for interest, where is the appropriate place to put it? RPG design?

Is there a limit on the number of topics in your roleplay?

How customization are the tabs for your RPs? And can they be edited at a later time?

Anyways, hello and thanks in advance :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Viante
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: Hello, I'm new and I have a couple questions.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Hey there Viante, my name is VindicatedPurpose, but you may call me Vin or VP.

That's cool that you want to be a clinical psychologist. Any thoughts on a career in the gaming industry?

The site is active, just not every part of it. A lot of our new users this season tend to be withdrawn to roleplaying. That can't be helped, plus there's school and work. Every now and then we try to get things going in the main community forums. The RPs on the main page? I'm assuming you mean the home page, yeah those roleplays are active, but not accepting new members at least to my knowledge.

We are still active, and we're currently undergoing a transition phase. We're developing a new model, I guess would be the apt phrasing, for this site.

So yes, the story section is the posts for that character. Every time you post, you have the option to tag characters. When a character is tagged in a post, that post becomes part of their "story" section in their sheet. It is independent of character dossier information like name, age, skills, personality, history, equipment, relationships, etc. You are also free to tag multiple characters in a post.

The place to check for interest is the Interest Checks.

There is no limit to the number of topics.

The tabs are customizable to a certain extent. You can of course edit at a later time. OOC threads, however, will be edit-locked after a certain duration of time. I do not recommend placing information that needs to be ret-conned/edited in the long term in those places. A link to somewhere offsite where you can make edits over a long period is my advice.

If you've got any other questions, just shoot. Also, you will need ten forum posts to unlock your private messaging privileges. Security measures, y'know?

On behalf of everyone at RPG, RolePlayGateway, we are pleased to have you join us.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 12 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Viante on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks VP, nice to meet you.

Yes actually, before I went to college my life's career goal was to work in game design. I had self-taught myself how to write the code (In graal-script, a really basic java-like coding language) for games back when I was 13 and had been making games for my friends to play. Although, when I researched game design as a career I realized that, bottom line, it was a job. I'd be stuck making other people's games, not my games, and that didn't really appeal to me much. I want to make my own games, something new and innovative, I don't want to make the 325th Call of Duty game. So I kept it as a hobby and went into psychology instead since I have interest in that field as well. Thankfully Java and HTML are very similar languages to Graal-script so that's how I figured out how to make really basic websites to store data. That was a bit lengthier then I meant it to be, but that's pretty much how the decision came about to go into psychology and not game design.

It might have been the front page, not sure if there is a "separate main page" and "front page". The page you go to when you click "RPG" in the top left. A couple of those RPs haven't had been active since 2015. (Unless the posts are hidden from outsiders) Glad to hear that the site is still active though.

That is an interesting way to work the stories thing. I'll have to poke at it a little and figure out how I'm going to incorporate it.

And thank you for all the other answers, and for the detail in the answers. (And also the link. It was hidden in the OOC section of the forums, the one place I hadn't checked yet). I think that answers every question I have, now I just need to see if there's interest for my world. And then if there is, bring it over.

Thank you.

Viante
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NathanBros on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums Viante, hope you enjoy the community here!
Luigi Time!!!
"I used to be addicted to soap, but I'm clean now."
My blog: VST Plugins Free Download

NathanBros
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!