Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Here to Help

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

If you have something you want to present to the entire community, post it here.

Here to Help

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:08 pm

I'm throwing this topic up after the second or third time someone's said that they didn't want to RP with us ("us" being the regular RPers) because they were novices or they were intimidated, yadda.

Flattering though that may be, it's also a bit disturbing. One of GWing's founding principals is a lack of elitism -- if you're not as good as someone else at the game, we aren't gunna bash you or ridicule you. Believe me, the worse you are at RolePlaying, the more we want you to join us. We're happy to help you get better, and if you don't want to get better, so long as it doesn't actually hinder the experience, we're happy to let you be.

Short and sweet, but had to be said.

OOC: Restickied.
STAVE: Commala-come-ki,
There's a time to live and one to die.
With your back against the final wall
Ya gotta let the bullets fly.

RESPONSE: Commala-come-ki!
Let the bullets fly!
Don't 'ee mourn for me, my lads
When it comes my day to die.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Stickied.

This is a very important point - we're here to help people. Please don't hesitate to contact any of us, or post in the Growth Forum for peer review.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry wrote:If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel Faile on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:11 am

Any of us.

Gabriel Faile
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Corewarp on Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:04 pm

You guys are the friendliest Forum/Website i've ever seen
I understand if you hate me

Corewarp
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SSJHunterKiller on Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:01 am

You have to remember, no matter how good someone is, or how long they have been doing this, there was one point in time that they were once a novice, most likely thinking the same thought about the more experienced Role Players.

Besides, with a whole new batch of Role Players comes a whole new batch of ideas. I, as well as everyone else here, encourage nay and all Role Players to create their own RPs and invite others to join from GWing, or from other sites. It is through the Role Players that we grow, learn and have fun.

SSJHunterKiller
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Here to Help

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:23 am

Very good topic, Zhelir. I hope this helps some of our new members that may have these sentiments.

I don't want anyone to feel threatened or intimidated by me or anyone else who has RPed for years. Just as SSJ said, everyone was a novice at some point. I hope that if you want to become better, you will seek the appropriate help to get better. Know that we are all here to help in any way we can.

And always remember, RPing is all about having fun and being creative. =D
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Darkness Is My Soul on Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:45 am

Really valid and well stated points, an excellent topic that should help those new to rp out just a little or at least head them along the right path because there is nothing more worse than elitests and those who look down upon another person simply because they don't post more than a paragraph or use the long words they use. To be honest, I have been around role-playing since I was 11 years old, I remember when I first came online, a new world to rp for me at the time and I really blew- or so I thought, and it took me at least a year or two to get out there and improve; I have a few old friends to thank for that though, who took me under their wing, people like Merthynn Pendragon and ixi_angel_ixi. Eventually I grew my own wings to fly, and never looked back.

Even now, I have role-played with people who typed only a line or a few lines, not once did I look down my nose at them or made them feel small like so many others have done who I once associated with- that was one of the main reasons why I turned my back on a clan in yahoo that I basically ran from its birth in 98 to 2000 when I retired and was pretty much begged to come back and try and revive the mess others had made of it. But it never really kicked off, finding new members only to have them put off by those who weren't even original members to begin with by this very same attitude- it ruined the whole feel for it.

Looking down on everyone just ruins it for everyone involved. What people forget is that we all have different education levels and ages, we all think differently and perceive things differently from one another and this is what makes us unique. Just like an artist, we all have our ways of expressing our thoughts and imagination... just some express it a little more articulate than others. But, people do improve as long as people offer constructive critisim without the brow-beating and ego-trip that they are better than everyone else when in fact truth be told... they are not, simply because their humanity is a lot more shallow than most. In a way we are all teachers because people read our role-play, they either hate it or enjoy it... adapt ideas or styles because they leave impressions.

I am in it for the rp, to enjoy not only my writing but everyone elses as well... and I am more than willing to help anyone out, all they have to do is ask or suggest a rp... we'll take it from there.
~*.Sculptor of demons and of goddesses, I chisel also an eidolon of love in ebony,
adorning him with black roses that bear the thorns of pain and sorrow.*~

Darkness Is My Soul
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hellias on Fri May 30, 2008 10:35 pm

Is there anyone who has experience and is free enough to help me on RP-ing a little? I wanna improve my TB fighting skills.. =)
INKING YOU.
Current RPs: Violent Cycle . Murder at the multiverse banquet . A simple Affair . Death Note . Eternia =World 1.0=

Hellias
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Sat May 31, 2008 3:54 pm

Role Play Academy. You can ask there too, =)
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BlazingBunny on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:25 pm

I love getting the chance to rp with moderators/staff. No need to be intimidated by a good rper, it usually just makes things more fun.

BlazingBunny
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lamentations on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:18 am

Never rped with any staff besides Aslin, other than that nay. I know alot of them including Dani(Melfina), Aslin, Vexar, and its good to know they are helping new people here, Bravo everyone ^^

Lamentations
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.