Announcements: Universe of the Month Voting! » Changes to Universe of the Week! » RPG: Season of Giving 2020 » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Universe of the Month Voting! » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters » What latest tech excites me? » A question about 'hyperspace travel' and its use as a weapon » NaNoWriMo 2020 » A vacuum salesman in the Multiverse. » Being bored at work makes you do crazy things » Question here from the FNG » Recommendations of Reading material. » Do you "follow" characters to receive notifications? » My 2 Fav Poems! » Simple Vs. Detailed RPG Layouts » Warning About Communist-Inspired Upheaval and Revolution » The Best Sentence » Universe of the Month Nominations » Universe of the Week! » The SCPF Wiki Project (not related to SCP Project in 2016) » What influences you as you write? And why? »

Players Wanted: Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D » mahou shoujo rp » Avolair: Academy For The Supernatural [NEW][OPEN] » Calling for adventurers to explore Xamoyos » roleplayers wanted for shifters world. » The UCF- a (soon to be) group in the MV » Neothea: Phyrian Galaxy (Open) » Students Wanted: Arcane and Human alike » A Once Upon a Time Adventure. »

Season of Giving 2020

At the end of perhaps our craziest year yet, we choose to celebrate our writing family with that extra touch of gratitude. Tip your fellow authors for a chance to win 10,000 INK, with leaderboards updated daily.

Merry Christmas from RPG! 🎅

Hip-Hop or Rock and Why?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Hip-Hop or Rock and Why?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:55 am

In terms of what I listen to more often, I'd most definitely have to go with rock simply because it matches what I'm trying to do or think about at the time, which is more often than not, associated with improving my skills as a Role Player and a writer. Sometimes, I'll need something sick, dark, twisted which I can find in bands like Disturbed, or something brutal like Hatebreed, when I really feel the need to get violent. Rock excites me, gets me energized, or it can make me think which is why I enjoy listening to it in just about every style. J-Rock (Japanese Rock) while sounding more like Punk in my opinion is actually pretty enjoyable, but when I listen to American punk, I get the sudden urge to stab my ear-drums. Perhaps it's the fact that when I watch it it's usually playing along to an anime I watch, so the images enhance the feeling that I get, which only further explains why I enjoy listening to it so much. I need to have an image playing through my head, or something flashing around to make me actually take it seriously.

Music tells a story after all, it's definitely a good way to visualize one in your head, which is generally how Rock affects me.

Now on the flip-side you have Rap/Hip-Hop which I don't listen to nearly as often, but I still find it enjoyable. I've listened to Japanese rap and can honestly say it's enjoyable due to it's more casual, laidback but strangely fun feel to it. Now, if I were to say "I like 50 cent" I'd probably get made fun of, laughed at and ridiculed due to his "gangsta-style" of rapping. What most people don't realize about hip-hop/rap is that when they say "Oh, rappers have shitty grammar" (which some DO, I'm not saying they don't) but, it's pretty much just singing in slang. Why are they singing in slang? Because generally-speaking, and from what the public views it as, most hip-hop/rap artists had a bad upbringing, poor education, POSSIBLY joined a gang, did drugs (whatever other stereotypical hobby that they're labeled with) and that's simply them exposing themselves to the public, by showing you their own identity.

"but music is reflection of SELF" - Eminem - "Sing for the moment"

That quote pretty much sums up a lot of misguided views toward rap. A lot of people simply aren't able to grasp that idea, so they trash rap, because of what their SELF actually is, coupled with the fact that it usually gets associated with things that society looks down on. That's MY opinion on why rap gets torn down so much, and while that may not have been the goal of this topic, I felt the need to get that point across, because I'm not going to let smoe ignoramous bash me for enjoying rap, which happens A LOT, and not just to me, but to a lot of people who enjoy the music.

And trust me, the SAME thing happens with kids who listen to rock. You wouldn't believe how many rock-listeners I see get made fun of by rap-listeners and vice-versa.

But, regardless of how bad it may look, or how good it may be, or even how neutral it may sound, music is emotion, music is a reflection of self, music tells a story. Creativity, artistry, whatever you want to call it. Point blank though, if they're doing their thing, doing what they want, and expressing what they want then let them, because that's music's MAIN purpose expression. Nobody's going to force you to listen to it, nobody will put a gun to your head.

With that said, I'm neutral in all aspects of music. Music affects me in different ways at different times, and that goes for ALL music. I have preferences yeah, but I generally like to live by that aforementioned idea.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Alucroas
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Carerra on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Beautiful response. Exactly what I was looking for.
]

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Carerra
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:13 pm

So, you were just wanting people to say they were neutral? Boring.

Xeynar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Carerra on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:20 pm

No, I wanted it to be explained.

Carerra
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saint Lucifer on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:15 am

Carrera,

Why was the response Alucroas provided 'exactly what you were looking for'?
the cancer takes ahold the wolf is in the fold
our destiny's been sold we did just what we're told

:: AND WE ARE LETTING YOU GET AWAY ::

[ LAUREN, LARI, AND KIERS ARE AMAZING ROLEPLAYERS ]

Saint Lucifer
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:02 am

Mozenrath wrote:So, you were just wanting people to say they were neutral? Boring.

Actually, I pointed out that I generally listen to rock more often than rap, because rock music suits my needs far more frequently than rap could. Hence - which one do you gravitate towards which is what the question asked. It didn't ask us to bash the one or the other, simply explain our preferences.

I explained why I listened to rap, and clearly (in my mind, anyway) gave a bit more credit toward Rock, indicative that I listen to it more than the other, hence - gravitating toward it again. Sorry for the reiteration, but that's really what the point of the topic was; I just took it upon myself to repair the bad rep that Rappers/Hip-Hop artists get, because I know it exists, and the stigma that it gets is rather irritating, because most of the people who try to call rappers "ignorant dumbasses" are nothing more than hypocrites.

Why?

They're attempting to talk down on something they really know very little about, which is ignorance, and the fact that they continue to do it anyway makes them closed-minded dumbasses. Unfortunately, the majority of the world does that same exact thing, but there are a select few that are capable of not committing the same sins.

Sorry, if that came across as a bit arrogant, but I really felt the need to stress the point.

Alucroas
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Came off as irrelevant, if I understood correctly. I get the whole stereotype, hypocrit part, but I think the intention of the topic is merely to discuss which you prefer. It never said anything about specifying why you hate the other. Unless, it comes as a package deal. *shrugs*

As far my opinion on the topic goes, I lean toward rock most of the time. But not for the same reasons that have been previously touched upon. I like a good message in a song and all that, but I also want the song to sound good, if that makes sense. I just tend to enjoy the beats and rythms of rock more than hip-hop. After pondering over it, I believe I figured out why. The guitar is in my blood. I don't play it much, myself, but a LOT of people in my family do. Is it possible that music preference can be influenced by heredity and family?

I want the actual music to be just as entertaining and hearing the message in the lyrics (in fact, I tend to listen to a LOT of instrumentals, sometimes more-so than vocalized songs). I tend to like the guitar sounds of rock more than the generic drum beats of hip-hop.

Xeynar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Carerra on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:31 pm

I think you raised a interesting question on whether musical preference can be influenced by heredity and family.
For family, I think its a definite yes, you grow up around the music they listen to, so surely that would have some effect in shaping your taste in music.
Heredity however, is questionable. A lot of families that have music in them have it travel back generations, so thats possible, but this would imply taste in music, is based on brain chemistry, which would mean it was predetermined...a disturbing thought, considering how humans feel they choose what they like.
And...generic?

Carerra
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:54 pm

Yes, generic beat. All songs have it. It's usually the lowest base instrument being played, most typically... drums (the big base drum to be more specific).

Sometimes, in cases of many other instruments being played such as in an orchestra or rock band containing more than just a lead and base guitarist, the generic beat can be difficult to single out. That's kind of the point, otherwise all music would, at the core, sound alike. Anyway, this beat functions to set the pace for the rest of the music. A faster beat means a faster rythm which means a faster song and vice versa. In the case of hip-hop, rap to be more specific, a drum is usually one of the only instruments being played. This results in the beat being much easier to single out and songs being much harder to distinguish except by knowing the lyrics. Ever wonder why your parents/grandparents always complain that rap always sounds like the same "bum... bum... bum bum bum... bum" all the time? Because at the core it actually is the same beat, as most rap songs tend to use similar paces which means the same beat is used at the core of the rest of the music being played.

I said all that to say this. I like the more diverse beats of rock than the similar beats of hip-hop. That, and rock tends to be more than just a drum beat.

I wouldn't go as far as to say rock is my favorite genre, just the one (of the two genres in the debate) I prefer. Some of my favorite music is actually orchestrated like John Williams and the Boston Symphony (They did a marvelous job with the Zelda theme) as well as others.

Xeynar
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Carerra on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:30 pm

The same beat used as far as drums?
I know the stereotypica beat, but I dont even hear it anymore
If you look at songs today from most producers, they've evolved WAAAAY beyond that.
Its rare anymore.
And there are other instruments, they just dont get the same credit because there's not a live person playing it. But I hope you realize on a song like Pressure~Lupe Fiasco ft Jay-Z there's ONE person orchestrating all of that to make a master pieces, be it a sample or remix of the original. I hear that a lot, and your opinion may be the same, but I just want people to understand the difficult behind making that "generic drum beat"

Carerra
Member for 12 years

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!