Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

How-To Guide: BBCode / Forum Code

a topic in Help, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars, Coders

Something not working as expected? Looking for a guide to help you find something? Check here for your answer!

How-To Guide: BBCode / Forum Code

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Myth on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:41 am

I'd thought I'd make a quick guide to the different BBCode functions available on the forums, and how they can be used to your advantage. I know that when new members join, they are often at a loss when it comes to these functions, and how they can be of use. I'll briefly touch on each function that can be found when you hit the 'Post Reply' or 'Post A New Topic' button. They are located at the top of the text box, for those who may not have noticed them, or was wondering just what those little buttons were.

The functions are as follows, in the order they appear:

'B' - Bold
'i' - Italics
'u' - Underline

'Quote' - A quote, obviously. :p
Te he~

'Code' - This is used to show the actual code. EX:
Code: Select all
[img]imageURLhere[/img]

'List' - Used to make a list.
'List=' - Used to make a ordered list.
'[*]' - Yet another list function. :o
'Img' - This is how you incorporate a image into your post.
'URL' - This is used to put a link into your post.
'Flash' - I just can't figure this one out. I've tried it, but it doesn't want to work for me. -.-;;;

The little drop down box in the middle, that should say 'Normal', is where you can adjust font size. It has five setting.

Tiny, Small, Normal, Large, and Huge!!

'Font colour' - Using this, you can change font colour.
'center' - You can use this to center your text.
Like so.

'desc' - Denotes a body of text is descriptive, or not dialogue.
'font=' - You can use this for custom font styles.
'hr' - Adds a horizontal rule.

'ic' - Denotes something a character says. "Hello!"
'justify' - Justifies the text, so that the left and right sides form a perfect column.
'left' - Moves something to the left of your content.
'ooc' - Denotes Out Of Character content. OOC: Yay, OOC!!
'right' - Moves something to the right of your content.
's' - Strikethrough.

Now, here's how to make the best of these functions. Some of these you wouldn't want to use in a IC thread, because they can break the flow of your post, or just be plain annoying. But all of these functions can be put to use in OOC threads.

Bold, italics and underline are great for putting emphasis on a certain part of your text. Lots of people use bold for shouting, and italics are often used to represent thought, or telepathic communication. That doesn't mean you have to use it that way. The use of these functions are entirely up to you, so be creative!

Quote is used to quote something someone else has said. I wouldn't advise using it in an IC thread, as it puts a big ole ugly box in the center of your post. Yucky. D: But it's awesome for OOC purposes! Especially in Crims Chat Convos thread! :)

Code is used to show another person what the code looks like. Say someone wanted to now how to put in a image? Most people say:
It's [ img ] imageURLhere [ /img ] only without the spaces.
But It's much easier to use the code function. That way, the person asking for help can just copy and paste the code. :) For example:
[b]I'm code! :D[/b]

List is used to list things, as you can guess from its name. :D An example:
[list]Green eggs and ham
Cheese
Milk[/list]
becomes:
    Green eggs and ham
    Cheese
    Milk

Now for two very important functions!! IMG and URL! :D
Img is used to place a img in your post, like so:
URL is used to place a link in your post. There are two ways to do this:
http://myththreetails.deviantart.com/art/Dragon-ID-125668190
And:
I'm a link!
Here's the code for them, so you can see what I'm doing:
[url]URLhere[/url]
[url=URLhere]text!![/url]

These are good for OOC posts, but not so cool in IC posts. :)

Font size, and font colour are pretty straight forward. Just click 'em, and choose the size/colour you want. :)

Center, left and right are as so:

This is to the left!!
OMG, center!!

This is to the right!!

Here's desc:
This is descriptive text. ;o
IC:
"Would you like to see my claws?"
OOC:
OOC: Mwahahahahaaaaaa! ;p

The above is a horizontal rule. Awesome for divided things. For example, if you have two characters in a RP, you can use this function to separate the IC text pertaining to each character. Here's another 'hr':

There is also justify, but auto justification often turns out ugly, so I advise not using it. If you wish to do so, though, by all means go ahead.
Then there is strikethrough. This is, in my opinion, a semi-useless function. It can be fun to use though. XD
And that brings us to the end...
Of the WORLD! MWahahahahaaaaa!!!

*coughcough*
I hope this was useful to all of you. I advice experimenting with the different code functions, and using the preview button, located next to the submit button, often. Remember, these codes can be extremely useful! Don't be afraid to use them! Get acquainted with them, experiment with them. They can be used solo, or layered together. Like so!

So... Have fun!!! ;D

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Myth
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: The advantages of using BBCode

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dämonmensch on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:13 am

Nice topic. I believe this will help a lot of roleplayers out, especially newer ones. I say keep up the good work.

Also just to let people know... IC tag does not need the quotes.
[ic]It works like this...[/ic]

"It works like this..."

Jeunne Sorcellerie: A place where magic and war mesh together. Enroll today. [OOC]

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dämonmensch
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sketchy on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Wow that was almost like a quick run through of how HTML coding works. Lol, it was nice and detailed for those who dont know it or arent familiar with it, though ^_^
それは避けられない勝利者です。

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sketchy
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Claude on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Ah, this helped quite a bit with the "unique" BBcode....things...on this site, I know most of the normal ones, but I had no idea what some of the ones on this site did (and I'm too lazy to find out :o)

Thanks though ^.^'

Claude
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Alvaron approves.

Edit: Changed thread title and stickied to make it more noticeable.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: How-To Guide: BBCode / Forum Code

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dirge on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:47 am

Hm, I tried doing a [ url=link]Text[/ url], however, it seems to not be working here. At least not on my signature.

It says the following: You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url].
^ Made by hhrp. <3. ^ | ~Latest tag down there~

Dirge
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dämonmensch on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Dirge wrote:Hm, I tried doing a [ url=link]Text[/ url], however, it seems to not be working here. At least not on my signature.

There appears to be a quota you must meet beforehand before you are able to use it. I assume it's to prevent spammers from abusing it. I used to not be able to use it but now I can. I am not sure what the quota is. You'd have to ask the mods that question.

Dämonmensch
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:36 am

You probably have to wait a bit after you register. ^^

Also!
Mods, sticky this please.
It's awesome (if not awesomer) than my RP chat guide.
I'm pretty sure that actually both guides should be sort of tied together if Myth is okay with that.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Myth on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:55 pm

Rigel, that's fine with me.
I agree that both of them should be tied together somehow.

Myth
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dirge on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Dämonmensch wrote:
Dirge wrote:Hm, I tried doing a [ url=link]Text[/ url], however, it seems to not be working here. At least not on my signature.

There appears to be a quota you must meet beforehand before you are able to use it. I assume it's to prevent spammers from abusing it. I used to not be able to use it but now I can. I am not sure what the quota is. You'd have to ask the mods that question.

I see. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Dirge
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Rigel Lake wrote:You probably have to wait a bit after you register. ^^

Also!
I'm pretty sure that actually both guides should be sort of tied together if Myth is okay with that.

Both are stickied and both will be separate for ease of use. It is easier to define multiple thread purposes in names than a single thread.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:01 am

Alvaron wrote:
Rigel Lake wrote:You probably have to wait a bit after you register. ^^

Also!

Both are stickied and both will be separate for ease of use. It is easier to define multiple thread purposes in names than a single thread.

Oh... I just noticed this thread was stickied.

x_X;
iFail.
Well, what about adding a link to each other or something at the end? Would that be allowed?

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyghtfang on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:18 am

I don't get this. Help!
ImageImage

Nyghtfang
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Myth on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:21 pm

What is it that you don't get?
You'll need to be more specific, I can't help you if I don't know what is wrong.

Myth
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheBluestEmber on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:32 pm

It won't let me use the url code in my siggy, helpz?
Hi. What are you staring at?
--
http://warriorcatsarpg.proboards.com

TheBluestEmber
Member for 15 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Myth on Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:12 pm

You are using the:
[url=http://example.com]text here[/url]

???

It is strange it is not working...
Hmmmmm... Perhaps it is because you are a bit new to the site.
To be honest, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you.
I've tried it just now on mine, and it worked...

Myth
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ZeakNato on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:02 pm

how do you change font color in the RPGchat?

a user named xeyomyth got it once, but couldn't replicate it. (as far as I know >.>)

*Edit* I figured it out! WHen you are in the chat, click the tools button and turn off "Persist font color" Then you get the choice to have more than one color at a time!

It's awesome!
let me tell you about Homestuck.

ZeakNato
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Visual Appeal Lifegiver Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cloasse on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Quick query: The 'table' BBCode...
[table] [tr] [td]table data[/td] [/tr] [/table]
...doesn't appear to work on this particular forum. Is it worth asking for it to be enabled, considering that most here wouldn't be able to use the 'table' function anyway, due to its obscurity?

Other than that, very nice How-To. Simple, and uses the easier BBCodes that are likely to be used by most forum/chat users.

Lain-Angelelique

Cloasse
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Myth on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:59 am

To be honest, I don't see the point of having that particular function. I can only imagine how it could be abused, or how ugly it would most likely look. *shudders*

Myth
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby overkill on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:39 pm

What ever happened to the code "Spoiler", like:
[spoiler] "This is a message you have to click to open and read." [/spoiler]?
ImageImageImageImageImage

overkill
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!