Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

How To Show Off Your Fighting Record (The Hall of Records)

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Re: How To Show Off Your Fighting Record (The Hall of Record

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jorxio on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:04 pm

SilentMusician wrote:
qbsuperstar03 wrote:Good to see the gang's still lurking about.

Must. Resist. RKOing. Opponents.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jorxio
Member for 9 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sunnyau on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:35 am

Is the website still online?I can't enter the HoR after a lot of trials.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sunnyau
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arrogance on Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:43 pm

sunnyau wrote:Is the website still online?I can't enter the HoR after a lot of trials.

No.

A man chooses, a slave obeys. - Andrew Ryan

Arrogance
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edorekt on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:23 am

An attempt should be made at trying to draw people back to the arena here...I miss doing combat.

Edorekt
Member for 8 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sara Whitley on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:19 pm

I'll do a melee fight with you if you want.
Creator of the Fantasy Sandbox roleplay.

Sara Whitley
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edorekt on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:23 pm

AS much as I appreciate the request, I do not have any characters that are that low of a calibur. I'm more of a high tier fighter.

Edorekt
Member for 8 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby spark755 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:45 pm

If anyone is interested in a fight, i'm down. If the HoR/GTLeague is down, why not build and host our own?

spark755
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Author Inspiration World Builder Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FullMetalBoy on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:53 pm

spark755 wrote:If anyone is interested in a fight, i'm down. If the HoR/GTLeague is down, why not build and host our own?

Good sentiment, but highly unlikely that it'll succeed. It's been attempted for many, many years. Every time it goes, it falls very quickly due to people with egos bigger than the Eiffel tower.

FullMetalBoy
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:28 am

I'm aware of the fact that the Hall of Records is down, but I do intend to restore service. I'm not quite sure how to solve the ego problem, but a revamped Hall of Records with an appropriate consensus mechanism would skirt it entirely.

We've missed the bi-annual Grand Tournament for the same reasons, but if the former is possible, so too is the latter.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FullMetalBoy on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:18 am

Remæus wrote:I'm aware of the fact that the Hall of Records is down, but I do intend to restore service. I'm not quite sure how to solve the ego problem, but a revamped Hall of Records with an appropriate consensus mechanism would skirt it entirely.

We've missed the bi-annual Grand Tournament for the same reasons, but if the former is possible, so too is the latter.

You could easily start my excluding some of the more... problematic individuals.

FullMetalBoy
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

If the Grand Tournament is ever going to function properly, it's going to need some form of regulation. IMO, a big component to getting the GT rolling again would be a separation of brackets by tier to try and cater to the broad spectrum of players who enjoy combat -- ranging from the very low/mild crowd to the upper end of the scale where guys are dunking planets like b-balls. You can't just throw it all into one event and hope for the best. Having profile grading to even out potential imbalances and fight judges to score fights that don't end a KO would also be beneficial. Any time you have thirty, sixty, or more people in an event.. you NEED structure.

As for the HoR.. you don't need to outright exclude people for behavior from the get-go, but you could definitely try and promote a specific mindset of what "competitive" means. Being competitive shouldn't mean winning at all costs, it should mean enjoying the challenge of the fight whether you win or lose. Promote good OOC behavior, cooperation between opponents, and an effort to enjoy the hobby instead of making it a pissing contest.

Also, I forgot the log-in information for my old account and the email I even used. My username was Darth on HoR. Not just some random guy making commentary on a months' old conversation for no readily apparent reason.

The Thunder Tyrant
Member for 8 years

Re: How To Show Off Your Fighting Record

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:29 am

The Thunder Tyrant wrote:If the Grand Tournament is ever going to function properly, it's going to need some form of regulation. IMO, a big component to getting the GT rolling again would be a separation of brackets by tier to try and cater to the broad spectrum of players who enjoy combat -- ranging from the very low/mild crowd to the upper end of the scale where guys are dunking planets like b-balls. You can't just throw it all into one event and hope for the best. Having profile grading to even out potential imbalances and fight judges to score fights that don't end a KO would also be beneficial. Any time you have thirty, sixty, or more people in an event.. you NEED structure.

As for the HoR.. you don't need to outright exclude people for behavior from the get-go, but you could definitely try and promote a specific mindset of what "competitive" means. Being competitive shouldn't mean winning at all costs, it should mean enjoying the challenge of the fight whether you win or lose. Promote good OOC behavior, cooperation between opponents, and an effort to enjoy the hobby instead of making it a pissing contest.

Also, I forgot the log-in information for my old account and the email I even used. My username was Darth on HoR. Not just some random guy making commentary on a months' old conversation for no readily apparent reason.

So what you want is a multi-tiered competition, like what they do with big chess tournaments (or in a recent case, Flash Flash Revolution's 11th Official Tournament) which breaks up a large pool of competitors into pools or divisions of roughly equal ability before letting them duke it out? Sounds good to me--going up against a guy who's just straight up more powerful than you is no fun. It could be argued that it's your fault for not bringing a character that can run with the big boys, but that sounds way too much like blaming the victim for me to be comfortable.

I'm also a fan of the Swiss system instead of a bracket. Yes, it means you have to have more fights overall in the same number of rounds (with single elimination it takes n-1 fights to get through n fighters, whereas with Swiss you'd need n/2 * log2 n, which is greater even for n = 4) but it also means that even if you have a bad start you can still continue to fight on, impress the judges, pad your record, and maybe even claim a come from behind victory.

One last thing I'd like to propose is a standardized scoring system for the Grand Tournament and Hall of Records. Right now everybody uses their own rubric, based on what they value and how those things are prioritized. (And don't get me started on the debate over whether clarity of writing should be a factor or not.) Instead of crossing your fingers that you get a judge who likes your style, suck it up and focus on the fight. Using the same judging rubric will ensure that fighters move up and down the ladder based on the same criteria, which will future-proof the site and help make apples-to-apples comparisons regarding fighters from different time periods.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

I think it goes beyond punishing people for having a preference; there's also the fact that the various levels of character power (which will have to be defined) require different skillsets from the players. High power/no power/etc doesn't require more skill, it just requires a different skill and mindset. No scope of character power requires more or less skill than another.

To that end, you have two options. One, be as inclusive as possible and provide divisions according to character power. The other option is to choose thethe level of power that you think will appeal to the largest number of players. The latter is more exclusive but requires less staff and less beaucracy. The former is going to allow for a deeper degree of competition across multiple spectrums.

Having recently run a round robin event elsewhere, I can get behind most any structure. I do prefer brackets though, if you're expecting a large number of players. This is especially true if you're going to provide foght grading -- the round robin or Swiss system can both increase the workload significantly.

I agree on the judging rubric. In my home community, a tournament admin usually appoints people to staff positions. Their job is to grade fights, review character profiles, and basically help run the tournament. Each event has a standardized rubric that all staff members for that event to use.

My round robin uses Offense/Defense/Logic/Clarity with a max score of 5 in each category. We try to focus as much as possible on what happens in the fight. We're not grading you on writing or creativity, all we care about is the IC activity. In that way, we're actually focusing on the roleplay more than anything else. Clarity is the only exception, and something of a grudging one.

My approach as a staff and administrator of a tournament is: it doesn't matter whether I like how you fight. I'm not reading for enjoyment; I'm providing a service to my community. I'm going to focus solely on the fight.

(Sorry for any spelling issues. My phone doesn't do a great job of catching them.)

The Thunder Tyrant
Member for 8 years

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!