Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

How'd YOU Start Roleplaying?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

How'd YOU Start Roleplaying?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xxdancewithme on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:48 pm

I've just been curious as to how everyone here began roleplaying.

I'll admit that my friend introduced me to roleplaying five years ago. And I learned to roleplay on.... neopets....

So what about you?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

xxdancewithme
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: How'd YOU Start Roleplaying?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Well when we got a computer with the internet at home I'd heard of chatrooms and so looked them up. I joined one intending on chatting and saw that people did this thing called roleplaying. I was about 13 at the time I think. So I thought it would be cool to adapt what they did as roleplaying into story writing and instead of doing all that cyber crap people do in chats see if anyone was generally interested in writing and stuff. Turned out there was and so it took off from there. I had no idea that there were roleplay chats for this sort of stuff or anything like that back then. In fact, I only found out about roleplaying forums that wasn't all that cyber stuff in August 08. I wished I'd learned about it sooner really xD

But yea, that's how I got into roleplaying.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CriminalMinds
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Caille on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:26 pm

oh that would be easy......I was looking something up for a game and then it clicked on this site and it was a roleplay but then I found other roleplays and thought that they were good so I made an account

Caille
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Greeter World Builder Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

I had a very odd introduction to role playing. I was a huge Harry Potter fanatic a few years back and wanted to find a virtual Hogwarts site. After a while of searching around I came across just that. It was chat based and run as a mini school. The owner played the different teachers and once or twice a week at a given time everyone who wanted to could gather in the chat and play out short lessons. Other than that our characters hung out in the Great Hall a lot. It was very much just like chatting but with different personality spins to each of the characters. After a while our group formed and solidified and the story took off into a really great direction with battles against the Death Eaters and everything. Unfortunately, after a while things started kind of dissipating, some people left, others came, and it just wasn't the same anymore so we kind of stopped role playing there.

I've been on two other large sites before this one since then. The Lord of the Rings forums while they were still open were great for role playing. Kind of wish that they were still open, actually... Ever since Lord of the Rings online came out they shut them down :( After that I went back to chat based when I found Nexxushost.com and a couple of years later finally ended up here :) It's been quite a journey. Definitely worth it.
He who has ears to hear, let him hear
For this is a tale of an ancient kind
In the word there lies existence and the word became flesh
And dwelt among us and we saw its glory
Let him hear it who will

Kai
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:45 pm

I know for sure I was roleplaying in 2001, but it's possible that it was before that. At that time I would've been 11. I started on Neopets and Furcadia. I don't recall which came first (probably Neopets as I'd been on there via parent permission for a while), but the oldest RP character I still have was my first Furcadia character. I roleplayed on the Neopets boards quite a lot. I mostly used Furc socially to talk with other anime fans (especially when I was in middle school, when I was getting more into anime), but I did do some RP there as well; I had always intended my character on there to be a character. Now that I think of it, I definitely had been roleplaying on Neopets first as I was already into RP by the time I started Furc. It came soon after, though.

As I got a bit older I began to realize how horrible the staff of Neopets was, culminating when they instantly banned my favorite account for responding to someone asking "Ow-ay are-yay ou-yay?" on a chat board with "Ood-gay." (because it had "gay" in it). After that, Furc became my main RP place. At the time, I actually had no idea what the furry fandom was whatsoever (and would actually continue not to know for several years while I used Furcadia - I didn't really know more than that something called "furry" existed until I made a furry friend on a chat room); any characters I had on there were just awesome animal people to me. xD Around that time, I also joined a couple of message boards. Neither of them were roleplaying boards, but there was some RP on both.

All of that was in a pretty small time period, so I consider it my collective "start." Predictably, when I first started, I was... bad. Bad bad. If I even could remember any characters other than Kiita, I'm sure I couldn't salvage them. There's one I partially remember and she is... ridiculous. I have managed to shape Kiita into something usable, at least. As mentioned above, I haven't been on Neopets for a long time, but I still use Furc irregularly.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Marionette
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imehal on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Ha, I remember it well, my initiation into roleplaying. Back in 2004, I ventured into an AOL chatroom - as I was wont to do - and a very friendly and delightful person asked me if I'd check out a website he was on - http://www.darkfantasy.clicdev.com. Feeling bold, I agreed, clicked the link, introduced myself there.

And the rest - as they say - is history. Or not.

A lot of things have happened since I started roleplaying, I got embroiled in forum politics, started my own forum - twice - and had them both hacked, found love on the first forum and made some friends - both here and elsewhere - that I will never stop talking to. I also improved my writing style a lot; roleplaying seems to keep me sharp.

I stopped roleplaying for about two years and then, feeling the familiar twitch in my fingers, I Googled 'roleplaying' and joined this good ol' place last January.
Gasmask: Alright. Either your CD is corrupted, which'd explain the crashing and odd stuffs.
Imehal: Or?
Gasmask: Your windows really, really, really hates icewind dale.

Imehal
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WingBlade on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Lol..I started back a long time ago... Just over 13 years. I started role playing in August of 1997, there were a few places I visited but GWC became my Rping home. I hacked out a name there, all wrapped up in i-glory from all the battles I won. Can't say I didn't enjoy it, being able to live out(poor choice of words) some of the very graphic and violent images that have went through my mind since about five years of age. Narcism. Gotta love it.

Just one thing to mention, I still play that same character. The same WingBlade from day one. I still like to rule on people, but speed fighting isn't popular anymore. So now my online fighting interest is nil, same with online RPing. At this point it's because of a lack of competent friends, as well as the fact that people are only concerned with small arguements about the RP, instead of the general flow itself. That's why I D&D now, I'm an awesome DM. The kind that's versatile and literally sits there for weeks perfecting a new PC class just for one or two people to enjoy. Wow, I kinda got of base, but there ya go!

Pieces o' Eight
Teh Wing
"I've done many things over the years and I've come to realize that I still have many more to do."

I have played the character "WingBlade" for over a decade and a half. I hope to do it for another decade and a half. Peace and long life to you.

WingBlade
GWC Veteran
Member for 12 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:27 pm

Oh gosh, I've probably been at it for 10 years off and on? Been a mod on various forums (not fun), run a couple of my own role plays, moderated on a Lambada Core Server for maybe three years called Fantasy Realms...(equally not fun)

Originally went my parents got highspeed net I began earnestly rp'ing. I had been doing so off and on on the dial up for awhile. Mostly room diving in Yahoo Chat RP1 & RP2, also ran the Highlander user room for awhile, back when there were user rooms. The flame wars with the star wars geeks was fun, and torturing the slavers was amusing too.

But seriously, perhaps the one character I have on here that I've maybe been playing for these whole ten years is the Aschen Character, and really you can blame admiralmcgregor for it.
I got hooked on science fiction role play because there was the ability to develop plot depth, and to use technology. You weren't constantly bashing your head on a brick wall trying to remember things from history class or dealing with people who had to have it a certain way. Scifi was and is a great way to combine ideas.

Around sometime last year I joined the site here after suffering from a serious bout of frustration with other players elsewhere on the net, and having a roleplay of mine that had been running about 3-4 years just tank because the players brought personal lives into it.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 12 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:22 am

Ooft.. Okay, time machine time. Heh. Let's see.

Oh yeah! My roleplaying actually started -- and don't laugh, it was a long time ago -- on Habbo Hotel. This was before I knew about roleplaying in forums, and it was there that I met one of my best friends. [He lives in the city right next to me, we've been pally ever since.] Anyways, this guy, James, and I, were both really into Roleplaying. But Habbo RP is not very fun. It's full of noobs. Of course, back then, people took it seriously, it was all T2 [Speed-fighting] and there were a lot of really fast people there. Then some noobs used macros and it got out of hand.

Further on, me and my friend retreated to msn and began doing 1 x 1, one-liner rps for the next couple of years. When we went to see habbo rp, it was, and still is, in a terrible state. Full of noobs, all the rules had been abolished, it was a nightmare.

Anyways, after the msnrp, I found this site when I was looking for an RPG - forget which - and I discovered Forum Rp. Started off as a one-liner, but now I do a couple of paragraphs on average.

So there's my origins story.

TL;DR: Played habbo, got tired, played msnrp, found this site, became good at rping.
And on the first day Man created God in his own image.

MoonMan
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oblenator on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:41 am

I got a desire to create something from my mind, something I can't do with art, something I can't do with a book, something I can't do with a chat room, something I can't do with an animation, something I can't do with only my friends. Thats how I ended up here, I spent two days looking for a good RP site before stumbling across this one. I just returned from a large break after a time out to do things in my life and I'm ready to roleplay.

In all honesty I'm surpised at how other people came on here, it's so diverse.
Joker - "This is all Joker's fault. What a tool he was. I have to spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."
EDI - Ah, I have access to the defensive systems. Thank you, Mr. Moreau. Now you must reactivate the primary drive in engineering.
Joker - Argh! You want me to go crawling through the ducts again.
EDI - I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
Joker - *Blank Stare*
EDI - That is a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7aU0sLAcs8

Oblenator
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:45 am

1978-79 over the summer and during Christmas. My friends and I got our hands on a copy of the red book of D&D and we started role-playing then. Been doing it ever since. Became actively involved in textual RPs in the 90's and then came here and liked RPG so much I stayed here, made some great friends and well the rest is history.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Strude on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:36 am

xxdancewithme wrote:I've just been curious as to how everyone here began roleplaying.

I'll admit that my friend introduced me to roleplaying five years ago. And I learned to roleplay on.... neopets....

So what about you?

Roughly nine years ago, my close friend spend a month hounding me to come into an MSN Chat room and role play. I told him I had no interest in this "role playing" but he didn't let up. Ever day I logged on, he was there to pester. Eventually I cracked and joined him in a room. I play a vampire named Eudoxia (stole the name from Anne Rice.) The setting was a bonfire after a huge battle. My character got shit-face drunk and on several occasions she nearly toppled into the bonfire. Lucky for her, my friends character, a strapping young Dryad, was there to keep her steady and guide her away from the fire. Much childish middle school romance ensued.

Since then I have been role playing non-stop. About five years ago I got into serious play-by-post role playing (as in actual paragraphs, rather than the script-like style I used up till then.) I started my first forum role play on Gaiaonline.com I think I still have a link to it too. I have also improved ten fold since I started on Gaia.

Oh and I did LARPs too, with my ex mostly. I had one LARP group for a short period of time. We LARP'd as super heroes! I eventually left the group shortly after joining because I couldn't get into their world and the super hero thing. After that I haven't had a chance to LARP since.

Strude
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nautsabes on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:25 pm

This past July I stumbled across the roleplaying forum in Facepunch and I introduced myself in the out of character chat thread and joined up in a roleplay and that's where I've been since. I just recently discovered this site back in August, but I didn't start posting until recently.

Nautsabes
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OriginalSix on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:36 pm

A couple years back, an almost offhand comment by a mate led me to start writing. After a few months dabbling in it, scribbling a handful of words now and then, I started getting serious, trying to learn more about the craft.

A website called Men With Pens that I frequented recommended roleplaying as a way to get better at writing, forcing yourself to write consistently, with other people in mind. No way to back out of it if there are other people relying on you to post, after all.

So I hit up Google, found this place, and here I am. I tell ya, I'm glad I came.
You know the goal. You know the path. The only thing that can stop you now is complacency. Go take what's yours.

OriginalSix
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby EbonDruid on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 am

I started roleplaying when I found a Dungeons and Dragons 3rd-ed starter pack. I played D&D with my dad for about... a quarter of a sessions, but he had the habit of reading everything aloud, and not just the box text.
The next time I tried to play was a lunchtimes in the school library. We'd get set up and then we'd have to pack up. We never really got to play >_>
Then a D&D club started up near my place. I went to it, and it was awesome. The only problem with that was that our DM had a love for combat, and didn't care about roleplaying. So, we fought and fought and never actually roleplayed.
After that, I started my own game, still having never played a wizard higher than 7th level, and finally got a chance to roleplay... as fifty-million random NPCs. After all of that, I find myself here, still with no actual experience with roleplaying.
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die.
- HP Lovecraft

EbonDruid
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittleSun1 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:01 pm

I started on Neopets as well, so I guess this all began when I was about 10 or 11, but that didn't work out at all. The roleplays lasted all of about two seconds, there were always billions of people trying to be the center of attention at the same time, and no one ever joined my roleplays because they had scary things like 'Semi-literate and above' in the title. Also, and this is pretty amazing for a site that's supposed to be for 8-12 year olds, but some people on it could be HUGE jerks.

When I was maybe 10 my dad introduced my brothers and I to D&D, which was great. We still play the occasional game with his friend from work with one or two of the same characters.

So anyway, I guess by the time I was 13 I was looking for something a little more permanent and where the entire point /was/ roleplaying! I just kinda googled roleplaying, and this came up first! I've been here for almost a year and a half, so I guess choosing the first link isn't always a bad idea :P (Take that stupid library classes)

I'm not sure my roleplay interests have changed all that much since I started. On neopets I did a lot of family, Gifted Highschool, Harvest Moon and Warriros. Now I've tried to do a lot of medieval rps, I'm in a 1x1 Mutant Fighting Ring roleplay, a Nations rpg, and I'm trying to start a Literate Warrior Cats rpg. So It's more or less the same stuff in a lot of ways lol

*Cough* warrior-cats-anyone-would-literate-t38811.html *Cough*
Hem, sorry about that ;D
Because I'm Broken When I'm Lonesome
And I Don't Feel Right When You're Gone Away
~>xx<~
LITTLESUN1

LittleSun1
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonjuice7 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 pm

I was first introduced to roleplaiyng on the GameFAQs boards. I found it to be extremely interesting and entertaining, but the one i joined was found by a mod and deleted (RP's were and are a big no on that site). Later I joined the forum at an awesome webcomic site (2pstart.com) and followed some of the roleplays there until I worked up enough courage to join them. I was instantly addicted and was a part of almost every RP that popped up. Sadly, the forums on that site are now relatively dead and what little posting does happen, is from people largely uninterested in roleplays. When college started back in August I was craving a roleplay, so I searched and found this site.
Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

Moonjuice7
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Capeman on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:38 pm

I actually haven't started yet, a friend of mine who roleplays on this very site convnced me I might be capable of, and enjoy, joining in, so I thought 'what the hey, I'll give it a go'. So here I am ready to get involved and see what happens.

Capeman
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Thunder on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:22 pm

I had played a virtual game for kids in 2005 and joined their fansite about a year and a half later. There was a section for roleplaying, and one of my online friends from the website asked me to "join her roleplay" because they needed guys. At first I found it stupid and I was horrible at it, (basically writing one sentence per post), but it evolved into a love for writing and I began to search for more advanced forums, then finding this website :D.

Thunder
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:34 pm

I started roleplaying via a club near(ish) me, but my knowledge of roleplaying started . . . from birth really XD My Dad had discovered roleplaying when in his early twenties and has done ever since (he is fifty one now) and I grew up with roleplaying going on in my house, at the age of ten, or maybe eleven, I persuaded my Dad to take me to the club where he also roleplayed and my Dad's friend Dominic gave me a character and got me into a game he was running. Becoming hooked, as if I had a chance anyway!, I began roleplaying on Monday nights too and then gradually online roleplaying via Habbo Hotel.

The years went by and I've now been roleplaying for nearly ten years in many forms, including LARPing which I started about three years back. I am interested in pretty much any kind of roleplaying anywhere and that is my story, really.

Introduced by my Dad, found it intoxicating, never stopped since.
When the end seem to justify the means, you've tried too hard to find an excuse. When 'by any means necessary' means 'violence may become necessary' you've lost sight of your goal. When people lay down and die rather than endure any more suffering, worry for the state of humanity. When people do not comment on how wrong this is, become angry at the world, because feeling that upset is too hard to bare. When people say 'you care too much' don't answer, because there is no such thing.

Wakboth
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!